Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

Inconsistent work load and lack of motivation
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 2, 2016
As a part-timer, I had all the responsibilities of a full-time employee and was rarely given acknowledgement for my work that is required to motivate an employee to perform to the best of their abilities. Though my direct manager was a positive point of my employment, upper management had a negative attitude to the overall work atmosphere
Fun place to work with great employees
Sobeys Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 1, 2016
Great store to work especially if you are trying to build customer service experience. Hardest part is fitting time to do all your tasks because some days are busier than others.
Cons
No employee discount.
Good first time job
DELI CLERK (Current Employee) –  Brighton, ONApril 29, 2016
Easy first job for students, pays minimum wage, good hours generally depending on skills, some poor management in certain sections
Pros
Easy hours
Cons
Low pay
Fantastic Workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBApril 29, 2016
Sobeys is a great employer, there are very friendly staff and kind customers. I personally gained valuable costumer service skills. The work is not overly demanding, and the company is always trying to develop new ways to provide good service and benefit employees.
Pros
student friendly
Cons
n/a
Decent Job
Cashier/Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ONApril 27, 2016
Not a bad job, just managers aren't really flexible and the co-workers are mostly weird. Was a fun job in the beginning but towards the end it was very repetitive.
Productive and fast pace workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 26, 2016
The key trait that I learned from being a cashier at Sobeys was patience in dealing with all types of customers and learning how to provide the best possible customer service I can. Being an individual who makes friends quite easily has helped me to develop trusting and special relationships with my colleagues that have helped me to enjoy my job. The most difficult aspect of being a cashier at sobeys has been being in stressful situations involving unhappy customers and learning from experience how to calmly handle each unique situation.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
no benefits
Amazing tips!!
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2016
A great place to work for summer and make amazing tips to save for the slower months in winter when things slow down and restaurants close or cut back on hours.
Pros
GREAT TIPS!
Cons
HOTTTT OUTSIDE!
Productive and career stability
Retail Operations/Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2016
Managing the day to day operations
Ensuring that daily tasks at hand are met
Ensure all employees needs are met
Ensure employee have the right tools to do the job

Love working with a hard working positive driving team to complete our tasks together.

Hardest part of the job is ensuring that everyone is on the same page and can work together and meet everyones needs.

Most enjoyable part of the job is learning something new everyday and able to build my experience and knowledge levels.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No room for growth
fun and effective place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABApril 22, 2016
a day at work would be getting there early clocking in getting changed into work clothes and then the day would consist of bagging groceries an helping elderly or disabled bring their groceries to their cars.
Pros
good opportunity
Cons
wasnt making enough.
it was a great place to work for
cashier (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBApril 21, 2016
-chow up at work 20 minute before my shift
-i learned to deal with defferent customers
-all the managers of any department were great even the store manager
-i never had any problems with the co-workers they were all friendly to work with
-the hardest part of the job was to dealing with unruly customers
-always bussy
benefits
Cons
only working 3 hours shifts
Good place to work, not enough hours
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 21, 2016
Sobeys is a great place to start out, it was a good first job. But the hours aren't too great for a cashier when they have more cashiers hired than they need.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Team environment, highly engaging
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 20, 2016
I worked at Sobeys as a cashier assistant. I learned how to operate a cashier. Since this was my first retail job, I also learned how to interact with customers. The workers at Sobeys were very engaging and helpful towards each other. The co-workers that had been working there for longer would gladly help a new and learning worker out if he/she encountered an issue. The management at Sobeys was also very good. It kept workers in each department focused and working as a team at all times. The hardest part of this job was training myself to become efficient as possible in using the cashier from the day that I started work. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was interacting with all the customers, exchanging positive words and a smile felt good.
Pros
Career advancement opportunities
Great place
Front end (Current Employee) –  Marystown, NLApril 20, 2016
Sobeys was an excellent company to work for. Great opportunities for advancement. Most co-workers were easy to get a along with.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
Inconsistent Hours
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Nova ScotiaApril 19, 2016
Most of the management seems pretty straight forward. Hardly any chances to advance. I love making customers happy but I hate how inconsistent my paychecks are. They cut back on hours so I have less co-workers to help out with daily tasks.
Pros
25 cent raise after every 500 hours
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Productive and a fun place to work.
Bakery (Former Employee) –  Morinville, ABApril 19, 2016
I clock in and get to work packaging baked goods and putting them on the shelves. I learned how to properly pack and set up certain things. How to help customers when they need it. Management was good, was polite and understanding. Helped me when i needed help. Most of my co-workers were good, some were rude to me and didn't acknowledge me when we had a shift together. There was many hard parts, just working full time I wasn't used to it. The most enjoyable part was just meeting new people and learning new things everyday.
Pros
Most people were nice and the breaks were good.
Cons
Long hours.
great job
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NBApril 19, 2016
I really enjoyed cake decorating and really found my passion. before working at sobeys I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, I came out of that job determined to go into pastry arts some day and open my own bakery
I love working but Sobeys is the Devil.
Overnight Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSApril 18, 2016
Sobeys seemed ok at first, until they started calling me in every night.. even if you work backshift they still expect you go to in for a "team meeting" at 1PM for 3 hrs then still go in for back shift. Oh, make sure you answer the phone when they call otherwise they just send people to your house. The Store manager has a god complex and actually told us that we need to realize work is more important then family.. yeah right BUD.. Worst job I've ever had.
Pros
Not dealing with the public on backshift
Cons
people running a business that have no clue, they try to control you, "work is more important then family"
What a Nightmare...
Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 18, 2016
I worked at the Strathcona Sobeys for three years. I would not recommend working here, you will regret it.

I thought the company culture was very toxic, distasteful and unpleasant. I felt that the store manager treated employees like machines rather than people. I was pressured into working without rest; I rarely got to take my breaks, if at all. I was totally exhausted by the end of my shift. The work environment was also way too chaotic – high production volumes coupled with minimal staff created a very stressful experience.

The worst part of my experience here was the management. The store manager burdened us with very unrealistic expectations. We were expected to have everything absolutely perfect by the morning and were pressured into keeping impossible standards throughout the day. We would do our best, but it never seemed like enough. I never once received positive feedback or constructive criticism from her. I only remember backhanded comments that left me completely demoralized. The store manager was also infamous for being a severe micro-manager who often communicated through unprofessional, passive-aggressive letters. I felt extremely stressed out whenever she spoke with us directly and would try and actively avoid her. I felt she was not respected nor admired by many employees because of her demanding personality, and no one appreciated her incessant involvement in our work.

If anything, I loved my co-workers and my department manager. I would have quit ages ago if it weren't for them.
Pros
Good wage, decent benefits, stable work hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, time constraints, no breaks, terrible management, poor training, stressful environment
fun work place
Grocery Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 17, 2016
i had my co op at school . I started 20 hours per week tuesday -friday
Each day I step in i start looking for expired items then i put food in freezers then they teach me about customer service for example i learned where every thing in the store was and learned the prices because if the customer ask where the eggs are for example there i the dairy isle .. they also taught me about organization skills and even the manger told me i was better than the staff
Pros
free coffee sometimes free lunches
Cons
20 hours week four hours a day
fun and productive
Meat Cutter (Part-Time)) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 17, 2016
nice to work,enjoyable parts is during evening before closing.Co employees are good and lots of meats to cut and to be package. The hardest work here is cleaning because lots of costumer coming and still you should have to finish cleaning before closing.