Sobeys

Sobeys Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A fun workplace with cooperative team members
Team member (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 27, 2015
learned a lot about dealing with different people. Got some useful management tips.
Very supportive team
Cashier (Former Employee), Amherstburg, ONJanuary 27, 2015
I enjoyed working at Sobeys. My management was very supportive, as were all of my coworkers.
There really wasn't a hard part of this job. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people every day and being able to help them.
A typical day at work was general cleaning of my work space, as well as the front end of the store. Serving customers. As well as stocking and facing shelves.
I learned many new things at this job, including the importance of customer service, cleanliness, and product placement.
Fun to work at and a great working environment
Part Time Florist (Current Employee), OakvilleJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: awesome envirement
Cons: short shifts
A typical day on the job included: making up bouquets for customers, cleaning, unboxing flowers, watering the plants, and providing excellent service to customers. The main thing I learned from this job was how to decorate flower arrangements and time management. For the most part I would work on my own, but on special occasions my fellow co-workers and I would work together and provide exceptional customer support and design bouquets. The hardest part of my job was unpacking flowers and pre-made arrangements as it was very heavy at times. The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with the customers and putting together arrangements.
great to work
Baker (Current Employee), Bonnyville, ABJanuary 22, 2015
it is fun to work as a team and it is the best place of work.
i have put enough effort to working as a team member and to co ordinate the work.best bread in the town. the only bakery which bakes the home made breads, cookies, doughnuts, cakes and other desserts....
Productive work environment
Cashier (Current Employee), Greenwood, NSJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: reasonable lunch breakdown
Cons: working a cash machine can be monotonous
The hardest part of working at a cash machine would be the standing there for six or eight hours. It's like Tetris without the fun and music as you bag groceries. However, I do enjoy the people I work with and I feel that I am a good team player. I enjoy working with the public but I would much rather work in a retail environment. The most enjoyable part of the job would be dealing with good customers. When the costumers are great, then it's that much easier to give excellent customer service.
Good work area but not enough to live off
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: good work enviroment
Cons: only part time. no full time positions
Its a good place to work since a cashier job is pretty simple but its not enough to support yourself with bills and grocery's on a single part time job paycheck alone with about 30 hours a week at most. Other than that its friendly and the Sunday premium is nice. Having an employee discount would be nice though.
Learning experience at Sobeys.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: not alot of standing around, always had something to complete.
Cons: hours
A typical day at work would be including me taking care of customers needs, restocking products, checking if the department needed anything extra such as meats or supplies. I learned alot about customer care, also handling a department alone. I enjoyed my co-workers, they were friendly and positive. The hardest part of the job was, closing departments and also preparing food trays for customers. The most enjoyable part was I learned a lot about the food I was working with. I created a good relationship with frequent customers.
Decent job and productive.
Manager (Former Employee), Moncton, NBJanuary 4, 2015
It wasn't too bad but poorly run and hours weren't great, plus job security wasn't good either. No benefits or over time. Wouldn't go back.
not a fun place to work
Customer Service Associate, Deli (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 31, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: no advancement
it's great if you need some extra money to get by or if you're in school but it's not a career. I personally hated this job, the employees get barley any recognition for the work that we do.
good supervisor
overnight stocker (Current Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONDecember 31, 2014
The past work experience that i have had with these company has provided me with the skills and training i need to be successful in your company. My managers have been thaughtful and caring and have showed me what I need to be successful in my careers. With full time hrs I have also been able to have a good quality of life with my family. I have relocated to Chatham Kent to be near my family. I am looking forward to hearing from you, so that we may set up a time for me to come and speak to you. I have the confidence that i am exactly what you are looking for.
Edward Reaume
Extremely disorganzed company.
Evrythng-that is the ask of the cmpy (Former Employee), Gta Toronto OntarioDecember 19, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: disregard to employees at store level, district manager can walk in and not know the names of long term employees
A company that grew from the east coast too fast. Too many chiefs ... all sorts of standards that can change every six months and not all up to speed. Doing things by the book will get you in trouble once things change or if one of the "specialists" didn't get the email.
Extremely disorganized company. Raises only given if they remember, or have given up excuses.
Pricing Analyst (Current Employee), CALGARYDecember 18, 2014
Pros: great work culture
Cons: no room for growth
Great work culture. Great team. Management is old fashioned. Work is over simplified. Nice friendly office. Avg hours. all in all great place to work. No room to grow though.
office cleark
Cash Office Clerk (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 16, 2014
when store get busy and there are no enough cashiers then i have to work in said the cash office and out said of the office. Also when cash office, sales and cash not balance for that day it will be very difficult day for me. I learn how handle the customer and employees and More than five years of strong customer service experience.Proven organizational, interpersonal, and business communication skills with the experience required to remain highly focused and productive in fast-paced demanding settings.Also dealing with problems and try to solve them . In my work place very one more friendly and we are like a one families.
Excellent place to work
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Camrose, ABDecember 13, 2014
Pros: people were friendly, job wasnt overly taxing, work was enjoyable.
Cons: slow points in the day.
A typical day of work consisted of showing up, Cleaning in the morning, Unloading the truck of product. Then we would go and check dates while stocking anything that wasn't full. We would cut various fruits/vegetables and put them out. At the end of the day we would take anything that needed to be refrigerated and put it in the cooler as well as picking up mats at the end of the night. We would consistently sweep and clean areas during the day while proceeding with stocking and prepping produce.
Nice work environment where your coworkers become like family
Front End Manager (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONDecember 12, 2014
Pros: building personal relationships
Cons: rotating schedule and various hours
A very comforting and welcoming environment where you get to know your customers on a first name basis and build long lasting relationships. You coworkers become like family members and back each other up.
Good place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 10, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: lifting up to 15 lbs.
Cashier and Standing all day. Lifting required. Pleasant customers. Hourly rate increases every 300 hours worked. Not a full time job.
It was decent.
Supervisor of Produce Department (Former Employee), edmontonDecember 10, 2014
Pros: it was close to where i was living.
The co-workers were great. The hardest part of that job was when the store was undergoing renovations and where I usually worked was torn apart, I then had to spend all day in a meat freezer cutting up fruit and vegetables there. Eight hours in a meat freezer with wet hands isn't awesome! Especially when you are pregnant! But to be fair, I didn't know I was pregnant at that time.
Fun and productive place to work
Night Supervisor (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABDecember 8, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: customers
Meeting with customers on a daily basis is what makes this type of position such fun
Every part of the job was both a challenge and a opportunity for personal growth
I learned a job that I really didn't know much about but loved it!!!
I left for trying new things as in going to camp life
handling cash experience
Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 4, 2014
Worked with good management and coworkers in a safe and good environment. Having fun while working and dealing with customers. Feel good factor comes after solving customers quires and issues at work
Great Managers - Not so great pay
Front End Service Clerk (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONDecember 3, 2014
Worked as a cashier for five years at two Sobeys stores. The first store I hated and quit because management wouldn't work around my school schedule. Worked for another Sobeys and had the best manager ever. Not much room for advancement, and no pay increases other than $0.25 after so many hours sort of thing. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the people, and it was really the co-workers that made the job decent.

About Sobeys

Sobeys is the second largest food retailer in Canada, with over 1,300 supermarkets operating under a variety of banners. Headquartered – Read more