Sobeys Employee Reviews

fast paced,
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 November 2017
while working for the Sobey's retail support center I had several opportunities to further my employment with in house courses that were offered to to me , ie propane handling , first aid ,cpr and machine operators courses .we also were given a lot of opportunities for overtime hours .
Pros
great wages, very good supervisors.
fine
Secondary cook and distributer of hot meals (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ON24 November 2017
Sobey's was fine. It wasn't great, but it was a good enough part time job while in high school. Didn't provide a lot of hours, however the other employees were fun and inviting and kind.
its kinda fun to work
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 November 2017
you need and always paying attention about the details of the jobs within a fast paced environment.. and the hardest part of the job is u need to finish your order in a specific time given, and the fun part is I just enjoy my job.,.,.,
productive workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK24 November 2017
standing red line and welcoming customers to till
making sure customers find what they are looking for
making sure tills are cleaned
decent workplace
Good work enviroment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 November 2017
This was a great experience, working with a good team and the employers were very good. In all the environment was amazing and fun to go in to work. Learned a lot.
Pros
Good hours
Productive and fun workplace
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  8265 Huntington Rd, Woodbridge, ON L4L 1A521 November 2017
Productive workplace with good pay. Good work atmosphere with plenty of attractions such as a table tennis and a basketball net. I enjoy being around all the other employees. Management is friendly and understanding.
okay work place
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS21 November 2017
not easy with hours and needs to be more flexible with there hours and students because they cant always get there for 3:00 that when most people get out great job for someone not going to school
Ok place to work
Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 November 2017
Not very strong leadership, great work life balance. Not much room for growth. Company may be headed in the right direction but unsure if the Sr leadership is experienced enough in food retailing to get to the next level of customer experience.
Alright
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dunnville, ON19 November 2017
Work place was alright. The manager is racist towards the employees. Alot of drama in this work place. Would not recommend this for a place of work but would for a store itself.
Family orientated Company where respect and acceptance is not only accepted, but encouraged at all levels of the business unit.
Retail Accountant-Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Stellarton, NS19 November 2017
Sobeys was my first and only job after completing my post secondary education. My workday was 7:45am to 4:00pm. I developed a keen communications ability and was given lots of opportunity to grow my skill set. Management is very supportive with all employees, and encourages their growth, both inside and outside the company. The Company is very Community orientated, and Volunteerism and social advocacy is encouraged. The Company believes that good work deserves a fair compensation. My colleagues were the best aspect of my job, at all levels.
Constant Churn in Strategy and restructuring
Senior Director Merch Bakery (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2017
Love the potential of the company but it no longer loves you back (too large of a company now- textbook HR department that is predatory).
They always had the right cast but the wrong script.
I shudder when I think of the current talent they are restructuring out of and who they are replacing them with.
Disloyal to legacy employees who literally built them.
They have become the typical cold faceless corporate monolith with an artificial engagement culture and no real P2P love for each other.
Current restructuring will end and another will begin in 18 months.
People that work in the retail stores are inundated with redundant rules and protocols they must follow that directly interfere with running a food store. This happens when you eliminate true subject matter experts and replace them with decorative wall degrees.
Elimination of independent thinkers and promotion of robotic yes men will produce typical results.
They have failed to create an identity for themselves in the customers eye and usually default to the road easiest travelled, copying trends and products that perceived industry leaders implement.
They have eliminated or diminished the true leaders they have, and replaced them with cheerleaders that are ill advised by incompetent but well placed individuals that should have been purged years ago.
BOD is too cautious and conservative to take the necessary steps to change this historic company, I cant help but imagine that it will be sold off to a European or American retailer within the next 5 years.
Pros
Wonderful History but poorly leveraged
Cons
Eastern Canadian Company run by people who want it to be Loblaws
still currently workng
Deli and Floral clerk and cashier (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON12 November 2017
sobeys is an amazing part time job, its lovely to interract qith customers daily. just seeing them happy wth your work is amazing. curretnly part time student working 4-5hrs shift 2-3 times a week
Pros
possitive enviroment
Good time, but not a high chance for promotion in any way
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Redwater, AB12 November 2017
The employees were pretty decent, usually very friendly, and mostly willing to help if there was a situation that required it.

In working there for three years the only raise I got in my wage was $0.05, and that was dropped again when minimum wage increased. There is not much room for promotion at all, and the way that the department was run was not the best.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Lack of wage increase higher than minimum wage
too much work expected of one person
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fonthill, ON11 November 2017
you are expected to do too much work can not be compleated by one person. Not enough help and most staff does not work as a team. Management not good.
Pros
Decent pay for full tme
Cons
long hours expected to compleat things that is unreasonable
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 November 2017
I really enjoyed working for Sobey's. Over the course of time i spent there, i was able to grow both professionally and personally. It was a very positive experience.
Terrible place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Beamsville, ON8 November 2017
Probably the worst place to work. Management is a joke, they never allow you to balance work/school/social lives as they force you to work more than you're available, the whole store is like high school. Everyone (including managers) talk behind each others backs and it's disgusting. If you go to the store manager with a problem, they look at you as if you're a joke. I worked there for 3 years and my manager still acted as if I just started there. Managers talk down to you, they demand respect, and you get treated like a number, not a person. oh and employees get no discounts what-so-ever.
Cons
management, employees, no discounts.
it was okay
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 November 2017
In the time that I was there I was able to advance my skills and, learn skills I hadn't known prior and create relationships with my coworkers. It is also always a great feeling of accomplishment when a customer is satisfied. Overall a great job
Would not recommend if it’s corporately run
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB6 November 2017
I started there because all of my friends worked there. In the beginning it was the ideal place to work although towards the end of my time there I began to dread each day. Management was hard to deal with but manageable and my fellow employees became useless so I see why!
Productive and for the most part a fun place to work
Cake Decorator and Packager (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB6 November 2017
In the time that I was their I was able to advance my skills in cake decorating, learn skills I hadn't known prior and create relationships with my coworkers. It is also always a great feeling of accomplishment when a customer is satisfied with a cake. Overall a great job but not one I personally saw my self keeping for a long time.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Not as challenging as I'd prefer
Friendly with opportunities
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  British Columbia5 November 2017
All of the employees working there were very friendly and it was very easy to pursue what you enjoyed as training and working in other departments was encouraged. The management was somewhat lacking, however, as they had had a very young manager who may have needed more training which ultimately ended up being my reason for leaving.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.