Sobeys

Sobeys Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Stressfull atmosphere contrasted with enjoyable co-workers
Employee at Sobeys (Former Employee), Bradford, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: my co-workers
Cons: limited breaks and stressful atmosphere
Typically, my work days consisted of weekend hours which would begin at 5 or 6 a.m. and finish around 2 or 3 p.m. I would prepare the "ready made" fruit and veggie containers, along with the pre-made salads, amoungst other things. I learned an incredible amount about myself, time managment, working with others and responsibility. My manager was fantastic and respectful. He was understanding with schedule mishaps and sick days and his presence enhanced the atmosphere. My co-workers were efficient and pleasant to work with, however I feel I took on a little bit more responsiblity in regard to the work load etc. The hardest part of the job was the stress which accompanied it, however through this job I have learned how to manage stress and take breaks when needed. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the people who I worked with. I looked forward to the weekends when I would be able to work with them again.
An environment that helps one grow in experience and skills.
Front End Supervisor/Office Clerk (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMay 12, 2014
Sobeys was my first job and I have grown and learned each day that for the four years I have been there. The people are almost like family, everyone looks out for each other and everyone is very supportive. I worked hard to get to the position of being an Office Clerk/Front End Supervisor. I love working in the office and with people. You grow closer to regular customers and learn more about your fellow employees. My favourite part of everything I do would be managing the floor. You manage your staff and their breaks as well as deal with problems on the registers or with the customers. Any inquiries come to youu. I love the multitasking and interaction aspect of being on the floor. The most difficult part of the job can be balancing the office at the end of my shifts. If a register or a safe or even a bank bundle does not balance, it is my job to find the problem and fix it before my shift is finished. I feel a bit pressured but I love the challenge.
An excellent team
Deli / A la Carte manager (Former Employee), Olds, ABJune 26, 2013
Pros: lunch room always had goodies.
Cons: long hours during holidays
My work relationship with this company was one of my most enjoyable. We had slow days and our crazy busy days, we functioned beautify. slow days we would get our deep cleaning done and the busy days we all came together gleaming with joy and pride with our work and the customers we dealt with on daily bases to all their needs. Management was proud of our team. Co-workers were of all ages and backgrounds and each staff member strengthened each other.
My most enjoyable part was the spontaneous challenges on a day to day bases. One particular one was a new safety program, and organization was set into place from corporate that flipped the old set ways, I couldn't wait to get started, was a bit of a struggle with workers that worked there for long time and set in their ways. Although by example and leadership all prevailed and with all our corporate and government oddits we passed with no less than 98% every time.
Very productive place to work with great staff members whom I would later in life call Family.
Deli Manager (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABNovember 4, 2012
Pros: the pay was great, staff, fellow co-workers...great food standards
Cons: don't have my job anymore !!!
A typical day at work was very hectic (Which I loved) ..always something to do. I learned so much about food, and found it very easy to pass my information on to my staff. They were very receptive and understood, which made me feel better about my teaching and supervisory skills.This went on for at least 15 yrs. The hardest part of my job was ( at the end) my "Store Manager", (a new manager to Sobeys) came into our store and from that time on till a year later taunted and degraded me in front of other staff members and I couldn't handle it any more, so I quit after 17 years in the Grocery business. I miss working in grocery, I still, after 7 yrs. think of how working there was the best thing I ever did, and miss it very much. I loved all my staff and customers, educating, helping and giving them a product that I trusted very much...
A place to learn different meats/trays and help customers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABOctober 23, 2012
Pros: new ideas for lunches/ and learning how to make nice presentable trays
Cons: long time on your feet/low salary compared to other places
A typical day at work was cutting deli meat for customers/making trays/cleaning and maintaining dept./removing expired items/helping customers find things in the store as requested.
One of the most interesting parts of the job was learning all the different kinds of deli meat there are and then putting cheese and meat and sometimes fruit in a tray for customer purchase.
I worked with mostly University/college students and my Manager from Sobeys Lakeland Front End. She had transferred from Lakeland to Nottingham now as Manager to the Deli.
The hardest part of the job was on Sundays...line-ups of people waiting for service.
The best part was helping my Manager using my behind the scenes skills like cleaning and preparing trays/etc...and showing people where things were in the store.
Great coworkers, always something to do.
Deli Clerk/Cashier/Cake Decorator (Current Employee), Paris, ONMarch 19, 2015
Typical Day:
Usually a typical day in the deli would consist of mostly serving customers, keeping the department clean, and preparing things such as hot in store bbq chickens, soup, pizza, asian meals, indian meals, as well as other entrees and sides.
For cash, it would usually just consist of ringing customers through with their groceries, helping other cashiers bag, cleaning the till during down time, and topping up the confectionary counters.
For bakery, I would take count of how much product we have currently on the shelves, and decorating cakes, pies, cupcakes, cookies, etc. accordingly. When the day would be near done, I would clean up my work station and wash any dishes that were in the sinks.

What I Learned:
I learned how to work effectively and efficiently with coworkers, how to meet a customers' request and have them satisfied, how to make deli and bakery tray orders look presentable, and how to multitask.
Fabulous place to work
Cashier Supervisor, office clerk (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBMarch 9, 2013
Pros: working with the public
Cons: can be chaotic at times
A typical day at work starts at 5 and ends at 11 at night. I ring through customers groceries, do refunds and attend to customers needs.
On the nights I work in the cash office I count up the pans when the girls are finished their shift, do deposits and balance the office at the end of my shift.

I've learned a lot in this job- I've learned patience with people and that no matter what else needs to be done customers come first.

The management is the absolute best at Sobeys. They are always there to encourage your development and always are there to listen to your concerns.

My co workers are all very hard working and we all work together towards a common goal.

The hardest part of the job for me is the customer complaints, and upset customers although I do my best for them.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers. I love getting to know them and interacting with them on a daily basis.
Average job, good hours
Cashier (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBJune 10, 2015
Pros: good hours, good co-workers
Cons: communication is not the best between management and staff, breaks are not long enough as we are only given a 15 minute break for working a 6 hour shift.
Sobeys is a good place to work if you are looking for flexible hours. I am currently in university, and during the school year I can only work around 2 shifts per week. When i am not in school however, I usually can work 4-5 shifts, and Sobeys is very great in the fact that they can easily adapt to my changing school schedule. My co-worker are for the most part friendly and easy to talk to. There is however a few issues with the supervisors and managers. They often do not effectively communicate important information to the rest of the staff. Some people may know what is going on in the store, but others will not. For every 500 hours you work at sobeys you get a small raise. Sobeys is also fairly flexible if you want to work in a different department or want to grow within the company.
A positive environment to work in, with great management and co-workers.
Front-End Cashier (Former Employee), Brantford, ONMay 24, 2013
Pros: positive friendly work environment
Cons: sometimes boring, monotonous work
A typical day at work involved me working at a front-end cash register or operating the fast lane self-serve checkouts. I would keep my area clean, assist customers, and operate a POS system.
I learned about many different varieties of foods, especially produce and how to prepare them, how to bag items efficiently, and how to deal with unhappy customers effectively. The management was friendly, understanding, and thorough when it came to training and procedures. My co-workers were friendly and always willing to help me in case of a problem and we all got along very well. We even voluntarily spent time with each other outside of work.
The hardest part of the job was the monotony of doing the same thing over and over again for hours. The most enjoyable part were the wonderful people I worked with.
The utmost in cleanliness and safety-Knowledge is power at Sobeys
produce clerk (Former Employee), Sydney River,NSAugust 1, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: no full time hrs
At the beginning of the day it was procedure to check all dates and remove and rotate product enter codes for inventory production evaluation. Then download info from the main computer to give you the expected production numbers for the morning-You also would do the same routine in the afternoon.

I thoroughly enjoyed my co-workers as they were extremely helpful in helping me attain the goals set by Sobeys.

I learned several new skills as I had always been a cook.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was interacting with the customers and acquiring new skills.The constant online courses were always enjoyable in my opinion.

The hardest part of the job for me was the part time hrs and minimum wage pay- If it had been full-time I would have stayed but the seniority list was long and I could not afford to wait, sadly.
It taught me a ton about working in retail and I made some lifelong friends
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), OntarioMarch 12, 2015
Pros: it taught me a lot about working in retail
Cons: head office, job advancement, wage, management, company
Although I learned a lot from the few great managers I had, and made some great lifelong friends, the company as a whole is very poorly run. They have literally no idea how to compete in the market and although the preach about putting the customers first, this rarely becomes the case because of all the very time consuming programs put in place by head office.

A typical day has you either putting up incoming stock, back stock, doing relines, facing aisles, managing back room or cooler conditions or checking rotation. The job can be quite physically demanding and requires strong time management and quick thinking.

As a whole I would not recommend working for Sobeys. The company gives little to no room for advancement in position or wage.
Learned lots of customer service skills and safe work habits
Deli Worker (Former Employee), Wallaceburg, ONOctober 9, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, lots of training, patient co workers
Cons: it was only for the summer
Typical Day at work;
- Prepare pizzas ,wraps and subs,
take people orders( slicing deli meats)
help prepare sample trays
when business was slow we would clean and do inventory

I learned about safe lifting ,I also Learned safe knife handling and food handling,inventory (counting items, taking expired things off of the shelf ), Good customer service skills and how to deal with unhappy customers.

My managers and co workers were very nice understanding and easy to work with :)

Hardest Part of my job was remembering some of the codes for the deli meats but after a while you just remember it becasue It was a popular item.

Most enjoyable part was talking to the customers helping them anyway I was able to and my coworkers they made the job fun while being professional.
Fun and a lively place to work, with very friendly and approachable manager and co-workers.
Cashier (Former Employee), Waterloo OntarioMarch 16, 2013
Pros: very warm and positive atmosphere as well as a clean facility
A typical day at work would include setting up the cash register and then cashing in the groceries of many customers. I would handle cash, debit cards and credit cards and return the appropriate change to the customers. I learned valuable customer service skills in interacting with the customers and making them feel welcomed and appreciated. I would work with my co-workers to quickly help customers with their problems. This job was very easy to do, however, I would have to say that the hardest part of this job was initially getting accustomed to the job routine because this was my first job. Luckily, the supervising manager as well as my co-workers assisted me and gave me reassuring comments that helped me learn the ways of this job quickly.
Fast paced team environment
Deli Clerk and A La Carte (Former Employee), Morinville, ABOctober 9, 2014
Pros: team was a great group, work was busy but easy to learn
Cons: had to leave as we moved away
Evening shift 3pm-11pm:
Deli section slicing meat and clean up for closing as I closed regularly
A la carte serving customers hot food, cooking new food when required.
Clean up of rotisserie, a la cart display and deli section.
Restock all the deli section, food prep for pizza section and skewer chicken for the rotisserie.

Early morning shift 6am-2pm:
Preparing Food for the A la Carte, submarine sandwiches, wraps, sandwiches.
Getting chicken in the rotisserie, a la carte food cooking and any catering trays that need to be made.
Slicing deli meats for customers

Afternoon shifts 10am-6pm:
Making fresh pizzas any sandwiches that did not get finished.
Serving a la carte customers hot food and rotisserie chicken.
Re stock any food items in the deli section.
Sobeys Bakery
Baker/Decorator/Package Handler (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: managment team communicated with staff effectively to maintain a happy environment
Cons: -
I typical day at work consisted of opening the bakery, processing inventory, stocking shelves, baking, cleaning while time managing, multitasking and consistently maintaining customer interaction. I gained knowledge on many skills, some include, time management, customer interaction, organization, multitasking and much more. The management team as well as co-workers contributed to each skill gained as well as allowed a friendly work atmosphere. The hardest part of the job was making sure customer orders were carefully detailed to perfection in a timely manner to be ready upon pick up. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the challenge to work under pressure in a timely manner to ensure customers were happy with merchandise.
Great place to work, great co-wrkers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONDecember 28, 2015
Sobeys was a great place to work. My day would usual start early in the mornings on weekends till early afternoon. I was responsible for making sure all the meat & cheese remained fresh and stocked. As well as making special orders and servings customers. When I worked the night shifts was responsible for serving customers, cleaning up and shutting down all the equipment and wrapping the meat and cheese before closing. Most of my co-workers in the deli were older but they were very friendly and fun to work with. The hardest part of working in the deli would have to be the early morning shifts preparing everything for the rest of the day in such a short time period. The most enjoyable part of the job by far was talking to the customers and my co-workers. Everybody at sobeys was so welcoming and nice. Just a really great place to work.
Coworkers were personable, the work was not challenging but was tedious
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Leduc, ABApril 24, 2012
Pros: inexpensive lunches, friendly coworkers, easy work
Cons: short handed, hard to get consistent shift hours
I enjoyed the social atmosphere here. No one was better than the other, including most of the managers who were down to earth. The work was kind of dull, atleast for me. This is in no way a reflection of Sobeys, but I believe just a fact of working retail. An opportunity came up towards the end of my employment, because of new incoming technology, in which I could use my mind a little more. I felt more engaged because of this.

Another thing I would like to comment on is the fact that there were no periodic wage reviews. One had to really push to get a fair wage. Also the work was not too stressful unless it was busy and/or we were short handed (The latter which seemed to occur much too frequently).
Comforting work environment and great scheduling flexibility
Salad Bar Employee (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONJuly 10, 2012
Pros: no scheduled breaks, managers work with personal schedules easily, long hours and plenty of shifts.
Cons: minimal interaction with customers
Working at Sobeys was a very easy job. I was busy doing something at all times, always occupied. I associated with customers very little, although the co-workers were a joy and easy to work with and easy going people. There was no hard part about the job, my day consisted of preparing fruit and vegetable trays, making salads, tacho dips and yogurt parfaits. Aside of this I was to put all production on the fllor, organize the cooler, do dishes, clean working area and prepare vegetables for the next work day. Managers were very easy to get along with and work with your schedules, it is a great work place it is just not the place I would like to be working at.
Employment at Sobeys'
Cashier (Former Employee), St. John's, NLApril 8, 2014
I was employed as a cashier at Sobeys, which I enjoyed because I love to interact with people as much as possible to make their experience a great one. A cashiers job is very tiring being on your feet for long periods of time, but my employer always made sure we took breaks when needed to ensure our comfort and satisfaction, which in turn provided a better experience for us cashiers and the people we serve. The Sobeys that I was employed at had an amazing staff and were very cooperative with dealing with any task that was put in their direction. My fellow coworkers were very pleasant and easy-going, making it not only enjoyable for me but also for the hundreds of customers that enter and leave the store daily. I enjoyed my time at Sobeys and it was a great chance to meet a lot of new people and experience the grocery side of the work force.
Overall comfortable work environment and a satisfying learning experience
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), Thornhill, ONSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: company barbeques, holiday festivities
Cons: somewhat repetitive
- stocking customer accessible shelves and refrigerators with fresh produce, receiving and storing fresh product in suitable storage arrangements, communicating and accommodating customers needs and preferences
- learned effective communication skills and gained an in-depth perspective of a typical working environment
-friendly and empathetic management team
-helpful and trustworthy co-workers that are team-oriented
-Difficulty: maintaining a visibly neat and clean produce section during "high-traffic" hours (holidays, weekends, etc.)
- I enjoy being part of an understanding team of employees that grants workers the responsibility to work without fear of unnecessary discipline