Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,209 reviews matching the search
Was ok to work there
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 April 2017
i rang in customers groceries. dealt with some cranky ones. didn't work there long before i got put out on the smoke shop as i was pregnant and they didn't want me lifting heavy items.

smoke shop was a better environment and there wasn't a hole lot of cranky customers
Heavy Grocery lifting jobs with Challenging Time Constaints
Material Handler @ Sobey's Food Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON7 April 2017
Working at SOBEYS Grocery Warehouse Whitby, Ontario can be both challenging and rewarding. The heavy lifting jobs in the produce area means you have to be very healthy and have a strong back -as lifting heavy bags of onions and potatoes can be back breaking. The rewards of good pay and benefits are positive aspects of the material handling jobs - if you can handle the job pressures on a timely basis. Management could be more fair if they spread the work load out to all personnel fairly. Overall - good place to work, as pay and benefits outweigh the negatives!
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Good fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB7 April 2017
Sobeys is a good place to work. The people there are nice and friendly caring and they care about how u are doing if u are gaving prombles out side of work they dont just say dont bring ur drama to work they well talk to u if u need to and if you really need it they will do there best to give you some time to deal with it. Its good pay good hours not to many not to little. the only thing that i didnt like is that you say something it gets around the store within the hour people love there drama and to talk and talk but nothing is ever heald on to people let stuff go easily u can be mad have an agreement one day and the next day be fine.
Pros
Caring fun people, good pay, good hours
Cons
Drama spreads fast
Good
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 April 2017
A typical day working at Sobeys is constantly meeting customer needs for full satisfactory. Answering calls from other branches, employees, and placing phone orders. Making sure the department is tidy and presentable. Organizing stock, logs and inventory.
ok
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON6 April 2017
Average job as a cashier or customer service rep. solved customers problems, made returns, checked out grocery orders. owners and managers are nice and respectful.
Fun Workplace
MATERIALS HANDLER (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 April 2017
Sobeys provided me with a fun work experience. I met great people and developed great relationships with individuals I still carry. Sobeys taught me and let me operate different machines that I was not very familiar with at first, but not am very comfortable to operate. Which was definitely the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Operating different machines
Cons
Very long hours
typical grocery store environement
Seafood Clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2017
working at sobers would consist of opening in the morning, set up departmemnt at store standard, bring out product, inventory & provide customers with the information needed on what they wanted to purchase.
First Job set the standards
Cashier/Front End (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON4 April 2017
This was my first job when I was going through high school. at first the memorization of all of the produce products can be mind boggling, but you get the hang of it! I advanced quickly and worked at the customer service desk for a while, dealing with customers concerns and complaints, answering phone calls, selling lottery tickets etc. I learned a lot of time management skills, working on my feet, and multitasking!
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Fast pace environment making customers happy by making them great food.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON3 April 2017
I have worked at sobeys for 3 years. It has been great working with such nice people, while making customers days. I have learned many customer service skills and food techniques.
The hardest part of the job is when their is a meal deal and you need to keep up with the demand of high customer volume while keeping a clean and sufficient work space. My most enjoyable part of the job is making customers happy and fulfilling their needs.
Friendly enjoyable working environment
Part-time Deli employee (Current Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS2 April 2017
Working for Sobeys in the Deli department is very enjoyable. As you get to know everyone and learn the ins and the outs, you really become part of the Sobeys family. They provide excellent training, so that you will have the tools and knowledge needed to do your job effortlessly. Sometimes it gets hectic behind the counter, between serving customers, cleaning, and, preparing food, but will the awesome staff always there to help, everything is manageable.
great place to work, bad hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 April 2017
good customers, learned how to talk to people/interact, management is good, co workers are great, hardest part is unreasonable customers and getting used to the fast pace but it is pretty easy afterwards, love the friends and people i have met
Pros
lovely environment/management
Cons
not enough hours
cashier
Front end clerk - Cashier (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON31 March 2017
No advancement unless you suck up to management. Management lies to your face to help you get trained in other areas so you can get an advancement. Work most weekends and late evening hours - when you give them an availablity list they throw it out and say they don't get one and schedule you any ways. Favourite get days, best hours, and few weekends
Pros
Cons
customers, management, no advancements
Good Job
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wallaceburg, ON31 March 2017
Sobeys is a good first job for high school students who need some money. I learned how to hold my temper, and how to quick math skills. A typical day at work would include clocking in, helping customers, and cleaning the front end when there is down time. I would also assist other cashiers with their customers by helping bag items, or going to get price checks.
Management was nice and friendly, and would help with anything you needed. Work place culture was very friendly and accepting of new employees coming in, everyone would jump in and help train. The hardest part of the job was the constant standing, and dealing with customers who would like to belittle the cashiers if something went wrong. The most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends, and of course making money when you are in high school.
Pharmacy assistant
Student Work Placement (Paid with school credits) (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB30 March 2017
Working as a Pharmacy Assistant (and I assume pharmacist) is an incredibly boring job. There is a lot of standing around with not much to do. When it's busy with customers it isn't so bad, but when there's no one it isn't bearable!
enjoyable work place
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 March 2017
This was a great place to work while I was in college. The hours were flexible and the customers were friendly as were the staff. The store had high standards for cleanliness and food and brought in good customers.
It was a good experience
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 March 2017
I was able to work and go to school considering the flexible hours that my manager was able to provide. It was a good experience to go through the things that I did when working at Sobeys. It developed my communication and customer service skills.
Good place to begin your working career
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Acton, ON27 March 2017
Offers good entry level positions for young adults looking to enter the work force, or suitable roles for mature adults to integrate into the workforce.
Did not enjoy my job.
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON26 March 2017
Did not enjoy working in the meat room doing the cleaning. Was treated somewhat poorly and generally did not enjoy what I was doing in my time with Sobeys.
Friendly workspace
Front End Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB24 March 2017
Each store department was ran by reasonably solid management. Any workplace concern was dealt with well and efficiently. The benefit coverage wasnt that bad either.
Pros
discounted groceries
Cons
kinda boring
Great first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS23 March 2017
They dont have any employee perks but the environment is professional and they are very flexable. It was hard standing in the same spot for hours and not being able to move around.
Pros
STABILITY
Cons
STANDING FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.