Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,170 reviews matching the search
Relatively a safe and enjoyable work place with great benefits.
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON9 March 2017
When everyone works together, everything gets done and we leave early if we want depending on the management's discretion. Always plenty of extra leisure activities and the option to advance up into the company.
Pros
Guaranteed hours and good pay
Cons
Some management team can be malicious.
company failed fundamental improvment and closed warehousing
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON8 March 2017
simply, upper management didn't remove the minority of problem employees who ultimately took down the job's of the employees who came to work fit for duty and not engaged in drug use and harassing behaviour's.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
office politics and substance usage enforcment ignored
clean, safe and friendly work environment.
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baker Drive, NS8 March 2017
A typical shift at Sobeys ranged from a calm slow shift to steady work flow during peak customer shopping hours.

All staff was very friendly and I found it easy to make workplace friends quickly.Managers were clear in giving instruction to department workers and all needs and safety training/equipment was provided by Sobeys.

During my time at Sobeys, I learned/improved many new skills such as

- safe food handling
- communication
- maintaining a clean and safe work environment
- working with customers to meet their need(s).

Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting customers and seeing that all their needs are met.

Least enjoyable part was throwing out waste.
Pros
Friendly and safe work environment.
Cons
Poor marketing techniques and advertising
Easy going place to work at.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 March 2017
Simple job being a cashier, besides when it was busy, obviously. I enjoyed it but having to bag groceries sucked when people wanted it a specific way and some customers were really rude but it happens everywhere else. The management were rude whenever I had to call in, even when I brought in a doctor's note and after that I was treated differently.
Pros
extra $1 on sundays
Cons
Managment
Overall, Sobeys is a great company to work for. Just like any other job it has its challenges but our hard work doesn't go unnoticed.
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 March 2017
Being able to train and guide my staff is the most rewarding part of my job. I have always liked teaching people new things and when my staff learn something new and enjoy it, it makes me feel good.
fast pace
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON4 March 2017
I liked the job itself, however there was a lot to be done in a very small time frame and became very overwhelming. Management needed to hire more staff to relieve the stress on existing workers. Often had to do a lot of over time just to get done the basic jobs. After a month management couldn't understand why I wasn't as fast as another worker who had been there for nearly 10 years. Was told I would be making more than minimum wage but that was not the case.
I worked cash
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, NS4 March 2017
Sobeys was a great job I just had to leave due to personal issues and school highly recommend great job great staff great employees it was a fantastic jib
Great place to work. Great employers and fun environment
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS3 March 2017
I enjoyed working for sobeys , I just didn't have enough stability with hours being dropped. For a single mom, raising four children , childcare and transportation, it just wasn't enough for me. I am disappointed , however, because I really liked working there.
Pros
Great and fun environment.
Cons
Not enough hours for single parent.
Sobeys,
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON3 March 2017
Sobeys respects their employees availability and is a welcoming environment for all. I've learned great customer services skills working at the courtesy desk.
Pros
great coworkers
i dont have one
post office (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 March 2017
i dont know because a typical work day would be working hard as i can and never stop.
i learned working together as a team is much better then anything else

Want to know more about Sobeys?

Ask a question
Very busy
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 March 2017
A typical day was cashing people's purchases unless it was slow then we bagged for the other cashiers or collected carts or stocked shelves.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Not enough hours for the amount of employees
Work Experience
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 March 2017
Always enjoyed working at sobey's

Enjoyed the customers and co-workers

I always enjoyed the special projects that I was asked to assist with such as the Club Sobey's sign up program
great place to work but needs better management
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 March 2017
great place to work but needs better management. their pay is minimum wage and everyone doesnt get enough hours. gets cut back often.
Sobeys
Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Morinville, AB27 February 2017
It is a great place to work, the company truly believes in Better Food For All motto and it is very important to keep employees engaged with the same train of thought.
Large workplace with always something to do.
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON26 February 2017
Since this is a grocery store, a Stock Clerk is in charge of rotating all stock, fresh or not, on the shelves, and receiving the daily load shipped to us from the main warehouse. A typical load night consists of pulling pallets full of shelf product onto the floor, spreading them in their correct locations, organizing overstock, while putting up the product onto the shelf neatly (while facing it as well). After stock was put up, everything is cleaned up, overstock is picked up and put into the back for shelving at a later date. This would usually be our night. There are a few hard parts of the job, one of them is knowing exactly where it is so you can accurately spread the load while keeping enough room in the isles for customers to shop, while another is spreading the load requires you to be physically fit to some degree as you are constantly lifting, moving upwards of 30lb cases of product throughout the store.
Pros
Two breaks and a lunch, Fresh product always available for lunch, straightforward work.
Cons
Long hours, Physically demanding, fixing easily avoidable mistakes of others, possible stress
Relaxing work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL26 February 2017
I worked for this company for 20+ years and found it to be a good place to work. They treat their employees well, fair and I have never heard tell of anyone getting fired. They take customer service very seriously. I can always count on them for good customer service. They have good work culture such as having a TV for watching hockey games, etc.
Pros
Free food samples to show appreciation
Cons
Standing all day, sitting not allowed on checkouts for cashiers with osteoarthritis in their knees or hips.
It's okay
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2017
I'm trying to leave asap because its horrible and it makes me depressed. It drives me crazy and stuff like this is my fault for even applying here bad choice
Cons
Long hours management is horrible
Deli and Hot Foods Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON25 February 2017
Poor Management and horrible treatment of the employees.

Felt used most of the times.

Very disrespectful behaviors from the management.
Good place if the management is right
Cash Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS24 February 2017
The problem with sobeys doesn't come with the actual work or benefits or pay or even the actual work.. if you happen to get on at a location with good management then you'll make the most of it. If not, everyone hates their jobs and is a hard place to work.
Good place to work but management isn't always professional
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 February 2017
Sobeys was a fun place to work and although management was friendly, they weren't always professional. Why would you hire someone in high school to be a supervisor? Also they shouldn't tell you what you do wrong in front of customers. They should wait till the customers leave, then tell us. Either than that, it was a good job.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Not enough hours, management isn't always professional, no employee discount

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.