Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
fun and productive
Meat Cutter (Part-Time)) (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 17, 2016
nice to work,enjoyable parts is during evening before closing.Co employees are good and lots of meats to cut and to be package. The hardest work here is cleaning because lots of costumer coming and still you should have to finish cleaning before closing.
Not a good work environment
Pizza Cook (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 15, 2016
Management was terrible, entire team would be yelled at and sworn at.. fount it very unprofessional and an unhealthy work environment. I worked there for 3 months before finally quitting because I was getting so stressed out.
Very productive
Cashier (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 13, 2016
Pros: FREE COOKIES
Cons: SHORT HOURS
I love having to greet and help different kinds of people. Getting to know how their day is going.
My co-workers are the best part of my work. They are social and helpful in anyway they can.
Very high expectations for little pay
Bulk Food Manager (Former Employee), Kitchener-Waterloo, ONApril 11, 2016
Pros: l was given the opportunity to advance
Cons: No respect for the little people who actually do most of the work
Running a department is a lot of work but l found it fun as well as challenging. However, l never felt appreciated or as part of the team. l was unpaid or not paid for all the hours l worked. lt was only after l left that they realize how hard l worked for them.
Sobeys
Cashier (Current Employee), Newcastle Centre, NBApril 10, 2016
it was awesome working there! the management was great and most of my co-workers were amazing. the were very understanding and flexible with my hours as a student working part-time.
friendly place to work
Baker helper (Former Employee), Bonnyville, ABApril 8, 2016
Pros: training courses
Cons: working on weekends is a mandatory at least once a month
Everyone is friendly, willing to help if you have any questions, everyone works well as a team, its fast paced, and its a simple job to do.
Great environment to work in
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 7, 2016
Pros: Lovely co-workers
Cons: Store closed
Sobeys was a great environment to work in, very organized and excellent management. It was very challenging at times, because it was a very fast paced environment.
great company to work with
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 7, 2016
great company to work with, Good work environment and friendly staff and helpful management. Enjoy working.. more growth opportunities
Great company to work for.
Customer Service - Bakery (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 3, 2016
Great company to work for. Flexible, quality, understanding, staff and management is great to work with and open door policy.
productive, is very knowlegeable about their customers and store
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Grimsby, ONApril 1, 2016
Pros: long hours, good salary, the people who work there
Cons: sometimes the customers
I have been working for almost a year and I have never had a bad experience working for this company. The workers and managers are excellent. The schedules are pretty much based around what you can work. They are a very flexible company. Honestly, Sobeys is a great place to work. Through my experience here I've learned to improve my time management skills. There is always a job. I believe the hardest part of the job is to always make a customer happy. Unfortunately you cannot make every single customer happy but you still should make the effort to try your best or to give other suggestions to make a better experience.
Good working place with great people
Journeyman Baker (Current Employee), Bonnyville, ABApril 1, 2016
Get satisfied with customers valuable comments and doing great job with good living environment.getting busy all the time and doing creatives.
Not bad
Golf Links Rd Cashier (Former Employee), Ancaster, ONMarch 31, 2016
The place has many opportunities to advance, and they are a good place to make a good wage. However they deal with issues rather poorly.
Don't treat staff good with disabilities
Meat cutter (Former Employee), Beaumont, ABMarch 31, 2016
Pros: Morning hours
Cons: Employees not valued, replaceable
Every day was a routine for me which I liked, I knew what to expect. I was the early morning opening meat cutter which consisted of putting the band saw and grinder together and taking temps. And product rotation spot checks and cutting. Plus wrapping. The problem was lazy co workers who wouldn't help wrap or help with the seafood or gourmet sections, just cut meat? A meat cutter has to do more now a days. But Certain cutters wouldn't. The management was poor, assistant store manager grumpy, swore a lot at his grocery staff in the warehouse when he would round them up for a meeting. although my meat manager was nice, worked with her for over ten years. I was only supposed to be part time because of severe anxiety/depression panic attack. But would frequently get seven days in a row week after week. I got burned out. They let me go for refusing to do an unsafe job, long story. After over ten years with the company I wasn't valued at all.
Occasional work as a high school student
Produce clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Pros: lots of breaks
Cons: no benefits
Stocked produce department and maintained stock area
I never got to work with people and I would prefer to be around others
The hardest part of the job was keeping up on busy days because I was by myself
It was also had to do the exact same thing every day
Cooperative Education
Co-op Placement in Bakery (Former Employee), Brighton, ONMarch 28, 2016
Pros: Volunteer Experience
I did cooperative education in the sobey's bakery. A typical day was bagging breads, rolls buns, etc. I learned how to work the labeling machine and the bread slicers. Management was good but my co-works were alright. The hardest part of the job was trying to do things quickly without experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was bagging the baked products.
Great atmosphere
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 26, 2016
Pros: Family atmosphere
Cons: Low wages
Enjoyed working closely with other employees. Felt like a family. Not a fan of the low wages for the amount of physical work.
Productive and fast paced work environment.
Cashier/Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBMarch 23, 2016
Pros: Staff sample days, pay raise every 500 hours, yearly bonus.
Cons: Under staffed, no full-time positions offered.
A typical day at Sobeys includes a good team effort to maintain the produce department and checking for quality constantly. Keeping the produce department as organized and tidy as possible for a better shopping experience for customers. Providing excellent customer service and answering any questions customers have to the best of my knowledge. I have learned great customer service skills through this company and how to be an active team member. My customer service skills have become exceptionally better by working for Sobeys. Management at Sobeys is organized and are always looking out for their employees. Co-workers are friendly and work well as a team. Everyone pulls their weight and does their absolute best to make sure the department is well maintained, as well as the produce back shop. Other departments work together to create an all around friendly, upbeat work environment. The hardest part of working for Sobeys is issue they have with staffing. The produce department is incredibly under staffed which would put stress on those working especially when the day got busy. The most enjoyable part of working for Sobeys would be the people. Even on the bad days the staff would all come together as a team and work to the best of their ability. It is a big family atmosphere.
Great environment, wonderful people
Hot Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 20, 2016
Pros: Good work environment, friendly coworkers and management, flexible
Cons: Not enough hours, physically demanding, unpaid lunch, no discount
Working at Sobeys has been a very good experience. The hot deli is one of the most physically demanding departments which made the work difficult for me personally. I really enjoyed the flexibility of being able to decide what to do and when, and I learned a lot about time management and deadlines. Management is always there for support and the company does an excellent job with employee engagement and trying to make the environment the best possible for all working there.
Conducive to students at times, great benefits.
Customer Service Representative (Part-time) (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 17, 2016
I have been working part-time as a student for the last couple of years with this company, I have little negative to say as they have been paying me properly.
Good place to work, friendly staff
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMarch 15, 2016
Typical day at work was calm and steady. I worked in the deli with 2-3 other people per day. My co-workers were reliable and punctual, friendly and helpful. Management was helpful as well, very understanding.
Hardest part was opening the Deli in the morning and having to get everything set up and ready by yourself. But it helped me to learn how to work independently.
The most enjoyable part was the friendly staff and our regular customers in the Deli.