Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun workplace, with poor managment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSNovember 19, 2015
Management takes advantage of their position, with a lot of politics and no benefits. But it can be a enjoyable place to work if you don't pay attention to the constant drama.
Pros
good break times
Cons
bad managment
Cooperative Education
Co-op Placement in Bakery (Former Employee) –  Brighton, ONMarch 28, 2016
I did cooperative education in the sobey's bakery. A typical day was bagging breads, rolls buns, etc. I learned how to work the labeling machine and the bread slicers. Management was good but my co-works were alright. The hardest part of the job was trying to do things quickly without experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was bagging the baked products.
Pros
Volunteer Experience
I enjoy the people I work with.
Seafood Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONMarch 7, 2016
There is an overwhelming degree of variance in the opinions people would have about this work environment. I think it was moderately fine. There's lot's of people in all age groups to associate with. The pay and hours are definitely lacking but the work is not very demanding. Management is vastly different between departments, but my managers were good spirited people who made it a fun environment to be in on most days.
Sobeys is a great place to start in the workforce.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 19, 2015
I didn't learn much about the job itself because I had worked produce for a long time. I learned quite a bit about company policies in my training. I enjoy my co-workers and management team. However the culture that was present in my last place of employment simply isn't the same. Perhaps its because it's a larger business. The benefits are alright and the hours are not sufficient for someone who needs to pay rent, car loans, and student loans. There is room to grow in the company which is nice.
Pros
Clean work environment, good health and safety standards
Cons
Limited hours per week (32 max unless you're in management), below average pay.
Grocery store
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2016
sign in, work on till, meet and greet customers, send them through,
able to talk with management and coworkers on a interesting level, never a dull time.
Pros
advancement
Cons
uncontrolled hours.
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier/Deli Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 6, 2016
A typical day in the kitchen was to prepare the minimum daily standards. Check for expired products, rotate and fill shelves accordingly. Provide customers with our full abided attention and customer service. Ensure they have a positive experience with us as well as exchange knowledge of our products for a eat better, feel better, do better experience. Help coworkers during peak times. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co workers. The hardest but expected part of the job was during peak times and not having enough hands to ensure the customers are served within a timely manner.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No benefits
Most amazing job I've had yet
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJune 15, 2016
From the managers to my fellow lower employees, everyone was wonderful. The entire crew was helpful and nice, but knew when to crack down and be serious. I loved working there and I miss it so.
My day was a set schedule of opening with pizzas, then sandwiches, then hot foods, all with serving customers between. I learned so much regarding how to handle foods, how to deal with customers, and how to do book work and keeping. The hardest part of my job was when a lunch rush or event was going on, attempting to serve customers and doing your daily tasks was a handful, but we always got it done. I loved every part of my job.
Cons
mario
Great Work Place
Cashier and Selfserve Operator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 6, 2016
I very much enjoy this job, however the management can be very unfair and favorable. After months of asking I have seen other people being trained on the position I have wanted and have not been told a reason as to why I cannot be trained. My days are usually very enjoyable, even when there is a problem with a customer my supervisors are always there to help me if I need it. My coworkers are great, they are pretty much my second family outside of the work place. They are also very helpful whenever I need them at work. The most enjoyable part of this job is helping customers. Overall for a part time job, it has been very great!
Pros
Great Coworkers, very accepting of time off when needed
Cons
management is not fair
Team environment, highly engaging
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 20, 2016
I worked at Sobeys as a cashier assistant. I learned how to operate a cashier. Since this was my first retail job, I also learned how to interact with customers. The workers at Sobeys were very engaging and helpful towards each other. The co-workers that had been working there for longer would gladly help a new and learning worker out if he/she encountered an issue. The management at Sobeys was also very good. It kept workers in each department focused and working as a team at all times. The hardest part of this job was training myself to become efficient as possible in using the cashier from the day that I started work. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was interacting with all the customers, exchanging positive words and a smile felt good.
Pros
Career advancement opportunities
Hectic Workplace
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  80 St. Clair Avenue EastJuly 30, 2016
A typical day at work in my life involves the following tasks at present, they are: throwing out the garbage, washing dishes and attending to customers. Initially I was also spicing chickens and making sandwiches for the following week. However; I had decided to take on less hours, due to the fact that I wanted to study and minimize the amount of stress.
People in management overall are quite nice, and from what I have learned through my short time there is: Grocery stores tend to be really stressful places for the ones who work there and keeping a positive attitude is key to making things work for yourself. The two most difficult parts of the job are: slicing "fancy meats", an example of which is Proscuitto, (especially when it has just been opened from its packaging; considering that the fat portion has to be sliced of, before the slicing of the meat can begin) and spicing chickens. Lastly with regard to my co-workers they are good individuals, and their company sometimes helps to lighten my mood when tough situations are encountered at work.
Pros
Free time to do other things
Cons
too far
Fast Work Fun , Something You can take enjoyment out of working.
Forklift Operator Wear House (Former Employee) –  Debert, NSAugust 9, 2016
Building Pallets and driving the fork lift or pallets jacks , you had to pick count on a week base overall count from your five days of picking pallets for stores. Management Was pretty good overall other then head office which didnt really see the work that was being done and how well. The Hardest part of the job was trying to push your own numbers trying to show that you can pick the best numbers in the plant.
Pros
Bounces if trucks were done on time or early
Cons
If people were slacking and bring down every ones numbers
Positive work environment with friendly staff
Cashier/ Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 1, 2016
A excellent part time job that provides you with opportunities to learn and develop other skills that allow for growth in any position that you are in. Rewarding and satisfying work when dealing with customer service issues and other day to day tasks. A typical day consists of handling responsibilities such as dealing with large amounts of cash, respectively and efficiently ringing through customers and maintaining a clean and orderly workplace.
Pros
Friendly staff, Positive environment and satisfying work.
Cons
Can occasionally be strenuous on legs and back
Fun environment/work place to work at
Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Acton, ONMay 23, 2016
Although the long hours suck and you don't get any discounts, the people I usually work with are really nice ad the manager of the deli is quite understanding. She allows you to talk to her about anything and she is there to listen to everything you have to say. I like the fact that when I need time off, I get it off and I have become a very loyal employ and I have overall become a great person to be around due to the family of loving and caring employee's that I have worked with in the Deli at Acton Sobeys
Pros
the people that work with you and along with you are really nice
Cons
Long hours, No discounts
Very repetitive and hard on the body
Front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEMay 11, 2016
I worked as a front end cashier at Sobeys. A regular work day consisted of constant customer service. Helping customers find products if they are having trouble, making them aware of sales in the store, returning products to their appropriate place in the store. Emptying garbage, keeping my work area clean and tidy, dealing with money, rain cheques, gift cards, etc. I helped out in the grocery department with stocking shelves and I also helped out at the courtesy desk periodically.
Pros
Sometimes free samples
Cons
Hard on the body from the repetitiveness, hard work with minimum pay and no benefits
Fun, fast paced environment, well managed
Front End Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 9, 2016
Sobeys Inc. has been a very enjoyable work place. A typical day at work requires me to be on the floor 10 minutes before my scheduled time to be sure that I'm prepared for my day. I must have a pen and a clean work station as well as to be dressed appropriately. I serve countless people in the run of a day(which is typically between 6 and 8 hours). I have learned many techniques for problem solving. My management makes sure that we have monthly meetings to discuss progress and problems and to make sure we are all on the same page and come up with solutions. My co-workers and I all get along wonderfully and we always try to help one another when need be. It is an amazing work environment to be in. The hardest part of my job is most definitely trying to cope with the elderly customers we get who are beginning to suffer from dementia. It hurts to watch them struggle to remember their bank information. The most enjoyable would probably be the general contact I have with the public. I very much so enjoy polite conversation.
Fast paced and customer focused workplace
FRONT END SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSSeptember 20, 2015
Enjoyable work place with an excellent management team. Always looking to improve the customer experience and staff knowledge. Salary is not important as the true value of the job is gaining management skills and learning how to work as a team. Unfortunately it does have some of the big company downfalls and is very limiting on opportunities to advance in the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is being part of team and problem solving.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Lack of opportunity to advance within the company
Occasional work as a high school student
Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Stocked produce department and maintained stock area
I never got to work with people and I would prefer to be around others
The hardest part of the job was keeping up on busy days because I was by myself
It was also had to do the exact same thing every day
Pros
lots of breaks
Cons
no benefits
miss management
grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 11, 2016
For a major company, very bad culture and lack of proper train for management.
Staff treated like a number.
Customers where great.
Stay away.
Pros
downtown
Cons
management
Enjoyable work place in a fast-paced environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Paris, ONJune 10, 2016
Aside from dealing with the odd nasty customer who is inpatient and unappreciative of the work done as a cashier,the job and customers were quite good. Management is great - mostly understanding and accommodating. Hardest part of the job was probably starting customer service and learning to multitask. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with great friends and getting to know the members of the community since I worked in a small town Sobeys.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Customers can be quite rude
Friendly people makes an enjoyable place to work
HMR hot foods (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 18, 2016
I find working in the HMR department to be a good place to work. The staff is friendly and I have learned so much. I know how to make all the hot foods in the Home Meal Replacement, from the chickens to the wedges, tenders, wings and sides. The manager in HMR is a very nice person and open to suggestions. For me the hardest part of the job is remembering all the codes and different things to cook, but I think I have it almost done pat. I find serving the customers my most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Always something to do.
Cons
Haven't discovered the cons yet.