Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,133 reviews matching the search
Large workplace with always something to do.
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON26 February 2017
Since this is a grocery store, a Stock Clerk is in charge of rotating all stock, fresh or not, on the shelves, and receiving the daily load shipped to us from the main warehouse. A typical load night consists of pulling pallets full of shelf product onto the floor, spreading them in their correct locations, organizing overstock, while putting up the product onto the shelf neatly (while facing it as well). After stock was put up, everything is cleaned up, overstock is picked up and put into the back for shelving at a later date. This would usually be our night. There are a few hard parts of the job, one of them is knowing exactly where it is so you can accurately spread the load while keeping enough room in the isles for customers to shop, while another is spreading the load requires you to be physically fit to some degree as you are constantly lifting, moving upwards of 30lb cases of product throughout the store.
Pros
Two breaks and a lunch, Fresh product always available for lunch, straightforward work.
Cons
Long hours, Physically demanding, fixing easily avoidable mistakes of others, possible stress
Relaxing work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL26 February 2017
I worked for this company for 20+ years and found it to be a good place to work. They treat their employees well, fair and I have never heard tell of anyone getting fired. They take customer service very seriously. I can always count on them for good customer service. They have good work culture such as having a TV for watching hockey games, etc.
Pros
Free food samples to show appreciation
Cons
Standing all day, sitting not allowed on checkouts for cashiers with osteoarthritis in their knees or hips.
Deli and Hot Foods Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON25 February 2017
Poor Management and horrible treatment of the employees.

Felt used most of the times.

Very disrespectful behaviors from the management.
Good place if the management is right
Cash Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS24 February 2017
The problem with sobeys doesn't come with the actual work or benefits or pay or even the actual work.. if you happen to get on at a location with good management then you'll make the most of it. If not, everyone hates their jobs and is a hard place to work.
Good place to work but management isn't always professional
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 February 2017
Sobeys was a fun place to work and although management was friendly, they weren't always professional. Why would you hire someone in high school to be a supervisor? Also they shouldn't tell you what you do wrong in front of customers. They should wait till the customers leave, then tell us. Either than that, it was a good job.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Not enough hours, management isn't always professional, no employee discount
A job not recommended.. find any other place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON23 February 2017
Management and higher don't care about us as employees

Toxic and unfriendly work environment, very few of the employees enjoy coming to work anymore

Poor hours and pay is not that great, chances for a raise is nearly impossible

No room to grow or advance

Not about quality of work out of employees just about how long you've been there and how much you kiss managements butts .. hard work doesn't pay off at all

We had to pay for our dinner at Christmas and they called it a "Christmas party" at a restaurant half of the people couldn't get to because they don't drive
Pros
Shifts do end
Cons
No sense of engagement for staff
Productive and fun place to work.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK22 February 2017
Sobeys is an exxellent company to work for, fast paced, exellent management.Room for growth.Hardest part of the job would be not being able to get customers needs met. Best part of my job, working as a team towards a goal,knowing you met a customers needs.
Poor management, hours, and job security.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB22 February 2017
Not very considerate, management are very disconnected and disregard their associates. The primary focus is not to accommodate associates or recognize achievements. Poor customer satisfaction. Scheduling is not properly generated or consistent.
Cons
Management, Shifts, Hostile work environment, Overly strict, Poor safety.
The donuts were good.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 February 2017
It's great as a first job, but i couldn't see myself working there for over a year. I hauled carts, and the job was okay, but the winters are harsh.
Good job
BAKER/BAKERY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 February 2017
Can move up in this position if you are a good worker.

Great people who I am still in contact with.

Pay was good.

I would recommend working here.
Meat Manager (Current Employee) –  Sti20 February 2017
I have been with the company for the last 6 years . I want to be a store manager with Sobey's. I am the meat and seafood manager.
I do orders for both departments . I work with my team to achieve are goals . I give my team ownership of tasks . So they feel part of the team .
Pros
The derection better food for all
Cons
the most enjoyable part of the job
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON16 February 2017
my most enjoyable part of the job is working with my team, and contributing with the customers. I learned more communication skills and it helps me be successful.
Pros
great co-workers
Excellent starter job, with easy management gaining.
Customer Service, Cashier, Parcel Pickup, Grocery (Current Employee) –  Pictou, NS16 February 2017
Great starter job, they hire all kinds of people. Hundreds of locations accross Canada with the same goal, to help Canadians Eat Better, Feel Better, and Do better.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Overstaffed most of the time, preventing most from getting benefits. Shift work is not a permanent option.
good place to work for
Retail Accountant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 February 2017
nice people. good management. pleasant group environment. good location. flexible hours to work with. No stress. Good pay rate to start and end.
No place for career.
Retail Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  HRM,NS15 February 2017
I trained to be a Butcher/Meat Cutter at Sobeys eventually working in most of their stores in HRM throughout a almost nine year career.
I cant call it a career because they never paid me more than 9.50 per hour or hired me full time but I was good enough to work in most of theirs within HRM and outskirts?

I quit working for Sobeys when less experienced boys were hired full time over me with less training and experience, at Sobeys its more important who you know rather than being a dedicated hard working employee.

Be smart stay in school and get a real career!
Pros
It was great at first, but when you cant pay your bills...
Cons
No money, under paid
Not Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2017
I got experience with customer service how deal with the customer daily basics. Not happy to work this place. They don't teach anything. don't want to talk
Cons
Part Time
terrible place to work.
Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High River, AB11 February 2017
there is not much to say about the high river sobeys. the management there treat the store as a "family business" and there is too much drama in the workplace. It's like High School all over again.
Pros
you get breaks.
Cons
staff treat the store as a place to hang out.
fast pace, great staff
Marketing Coordinator - Retail Marketing (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 February 2017
exciting place to work, pushes you to work hard and be your best.I enjoyed the staff and meeting the clients. great amenities for the staff to enjoy. they have a gym and great cafeteria food options.
Pros
affordable cafeteria for staff
Cons
management can be difficult to deal with
Not recommended
Cash Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rothesay, NB10 February 2017
Not much room for advancement. It's still a 'who you know' company in order to move up. Unrealistic expectations for minimal pay.
Great customer service
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 February 2017
Great company. Great customer service. Keeps you on your feet. You learn new things everyday day. Awesome associate and management team. Friendly environment. Long breaks and great hours.