Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

Most amazing job I've had yet
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJune 15, 2016
From the managers to my fellow lower employees, everyone was wonderful. The entire crew was helpful and nice, but knew when to crack down and be serious. I loved working there and I miss it so.
My day was a set schedule of opening with pizzas, then sandwiches, then hot foods, all with serving customers between. I learned so much regarding how to handle foods, how to deal with customers, and how to do book work and keeping. The hardest part of my job was when a lunch rush or event was going on, attempting to serve customers and doing your daily tasks was a handful, but we always got it done. I loved every part of my job.
Cons
mario
Productive and adaptable tasks
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 10, 2016
Its challenging when it comes to all the cleaning, but it keeps me very busy! The co-workers I work with are great as well as the management. I enjoy engaging with the customers at Sobey's while i'm still finishing a task or project the most. When customers ask about certain pastries, food, cakes, or products that we sell in Sobey's I like to help them find what they are looking for and if I can't I will ask someone in another department so the customer is satisfied.
Enjoyable work place in a fast-paced environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Paris, ONJune 10, 2016
Aside from dealing with the odd nasty customer who is inpatient and unappreciative of the work done as a cashier,the job and customers were quite good. Management is great - mostly understanding and accommodating. Hardest part of the job was probably starting customer service and learning to multitask. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with great friends and getting to know the members of the community since I worked in a small town Sobeys.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Customers can be quite rude
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier/Deli Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 6, 2016
A typical day in the kitchen was to prepare the minimum daily standards. Check for expired products, rotate and fill shelves accordingly. Provide customers with our full abided attention and customer service. Ensure they have a positive experience with us as well as exchange knowledge of our products for a eat better, feel better, do better experience. Help coworkers during peak times. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co workers. The hardest but expected part of the job was during peak times and not having enough hands to ensure the customers are served within a timely manner.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No benefits
Positive work environment with friendly staff
Cashier/ Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 1, 2016
A excellent part time job that provides you with opportunities to learn and develop other skills that allow for growth in any position that you are in. Rewarding and satisfying work when dealing with customer service issues and other day to day tasks. A typical day consists of handling responsibilities such as dealing with large amounts of cash, respectively and efficiently ringing through customers and maintaining a clean and orderly workplace.
Pros
Friendly staff, Positive environment and satisfying work.
Cons
Can occasionally be strenuous on legs and back
Great family dynamic
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONJune 29, 2016
It was like working with a family everyone is very friendly and helpful, team work is a huge part of the company. And customers seemed to have a good experience throughout the store. Always went out of their way to make employees feel important by having us choose our fellow co-workers who desire to be appreciated within each department. Also having employee lunch's where food is provided and games.
Fun environment/work place to work at
Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Acton, ONMay 23, 2016
Although the long hours suck and you don't get any discounts, the people I usually work with are really nice ad the manager of the deli is quite understanding. She allows you to talk to her about anything and she is there to listen to everything you have to say. I like the fact that when I need time off, I get it off and I have become a very loyal employ and I have overall become a great person to be around due to the family of loving and caring employee's that I have worked with in the Deli at Acton Sobeys
Pros
the people that work with you and along with you are really nice
Cons
Long hours, No discounts
Fun workplace with enjoyable workers.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 21, 2016
I worked in the deli department. My manager was really good at her job and gave me great direction and trained me really well. I had to make sure everything was cleaned and sanitized especially when working with meat and cheese. I had to make trays and I had a specific deadline. I had to cut cheeses and meats for customers. I had to greet customers and ask them for their orders. I had to always clean once in a while to make sure there was no cross contamination. I had to open and close the deli department and make sure everything was prepped or put away and ready to go. It was hard when I had deadlines but I always made them and it was also hard when there was a lot of customers at once. I always kept calm and got to every customer.
Pros
Sobey's Club
Cons
No benefits
Productive, hands on learning approach and opportunities for growth.
Purchaser,. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 15, 2016
An opportunity for hands on learning approach, as well for growth. A great team oriented department. Tight knit group. I was given a chance and will always appreciate that. Managers were family oriented and empathetic to life's challenges outside of work.
Stress, at times was a part of your position,I learned the skills to handle it and get through it. Our team was our work family as well. . A chance to build relationships with vendors.

Higher ups were not transparent as they claimed to be. Disappointed in the end by a company that treated us like family to a company that was all about the bottom $.
Pros
Bonus for acquiring and maintaining a steady service level.
Cons
Laptop and mobile at home every night as well as every weekend.
Friendly people makes an enjoyable place to work
HMR hot foods (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 18, 2016
I find working in the HMR department to be a good place to work. The staff is friendly and I have learned so much. I know how to make all the hot foods in the Home Meal Replacement, from the chickens to the wedges, tenders, wings and sides. The manager in HMR is a very nice person and open to suggestions. For me the hardest part of the job is remembering all the codes and different things to cook, but I think I have it almost done pat. I find serving the customers my most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Always something to do.
Cons
Haven't discovered the cons yet.
Good platform for students to start on, however...
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMay 24, 2016
The job is simple and straightforward. At certain times you would have to lift heavy boxes and pick up heavy items in order to clean. Job becomes mundane after a while since every day is pretty much identical with minimal change. Expect to clean a lot, meaning the entire facility. Management is not the best. Co-workers are much better than the management though, so there is solace in that.
Pros
Cons
mundane work
Easy work environment
Cashier/Bagger (Carts) (Current Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONJune 30, 2016
I currently work for Sobeys, and I can say that it really isn't that bad of a job. The jobs I do are very easy, I just have to move quick. My co-workers are amazing people! I don't think I have ever worked with such great people in my life! I don't agree with some of the policies that upper management has for us, but these policies are put in place so that we ensure the customers have no complaints. This makes my job a little harder, but its nice to see the smile it puts on the customers face. The store managers are great and aren't hard on you. If you do your job right, and don't mind picking up a shift here and there, they can be very flexible with your hours. Overall, I have no major problems with this place and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Rude customers
Overall a good place to work.
Intermediate Business Technologist (Former Employee) –  Saanichton, BCMay 17, 2016
Working with Sobeys was mostly a positive experience. In the beginning there were lots of opportunities to further personal development, but as time went on those opportunities became less and less. The environment provided a great team experience as well as excellent direct supervision. I learned a lot from my team members and supervisors.
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
Lack of leadership from execuative
Very repetitive and hard on the body
Front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEMay 11, 2016
I worked as a front end cashier at Sobeys. A regular work day consisted of constant customer service. Helping customers find products if they are having trouble, making them aware of sales in the store, returning products to their appropriate place in the store. Emptying garbage, keeping my work area clean and tidy, dealing with money, rain cheques, gift cards, etc. I helped out in the grocery department with stocking shelves and I also helped out at the courtesy desk periodically.
Pros
Sometimes free samples
Cons
Hard on the body from the repetitiveness, hard work with minimum pay and no benefits
Productive and fast-paced working environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pictou, NSMay 6, 2016
Sobey's is a great place to work, especially the staff and managment. There is always a lot of production to be completed, as well as constant interaction with other customers and co-workers. There is always room for advancement in management, but it does take quite some time to get to a higher level. The hardest part about the job, would have to be a lot of heavy lifting. I enjoy the people I work with, as well as meeting new people every day. It gives me an experience to interact with others, as well as gain personal skills.
Pros
Medical/dental benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Work Place
Cashier and Selfserve Operator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 6, 2016
I very much enjoy this job, however the management can be very unfair and favorable. After months of asking I have seen other people being trained on the position I have wanted and have not been told a reason as to why I cannot be trained. My days are usually very enjoyable, even when there is a problem with a customer my supervisors are always there to help me if I need it. My coworkers are great, they are pretty much my second family outside of the work place. They are also very helpful whenever I need them at work. The most enjoyable part of this job is helping customers. Overall for a part time job, it has been very great!
Pros
Great Coworkers, very accepting of time off when needed
Cons
management is not fair
It was a blast!
CASHIER/ CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2016
Busy hours like lunch time and dinner time will drain you out but if you enjoy talking and getting to know your customers, it can be a great experience and it makes the time go by fast. Scheduling is always two weeks ahead so make sure that when you book off, book off as early as you can. Changes in management during my time there made policies and routines all messed up but it worked out well and is still in the process of stability.
Experience at Sobey
Bakery (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 16, 2016
My experience at Sobeys wasn't that good. I didn't get a lot of hours, wasn't a very nice environment to be around. I did learn a lot like how to deal with difficult situations, how to close...etc. My co-workers were all rude and would talk behind everyone's back. The hardest part of my job would've been trying to make donuts perfect. And, the most enjoyable was working with cakes and lots of nice costumers.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
No hours
Productive and fast pace workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 26, 2016
The key trait that I learned from being a cashier at Sobeys was patience in dealing with all types of customers and learning how to provide the best possible customer service I can. Being an individual who makes friends quite easily has helped me to develop trusting and special relationships with my colleagues that have helped me to enjoy my job. The most difficult aspect of being a cashier at sobeys has been being in stressful situations involving unhappy customers and learning from experience how to calmly handle each unique situation.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
no benefits
Productive and career stability
Retail Operations/Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2016
Managing the day to day operations
Ensuring that daily tasks at hand are met
Ensure all employees needs are met
Ensure employee have the right tools to do the job

Love working with a hard working positive driving team to complete our tasks together.

Hardest part of the job is ensuring that everyone is on the same page and can work together and meet everyones needs.

Most enjoyable part of the job is learning something new everyday and able to build my experience and knowledge levels.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No room for growth