Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,123 reviews matching the search
Structured work place allowing a chance to move up, lacked proper training, and did very little to maintain employees.
Assistant Manager, Seafood Department (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 January 2017
Emphasized on chances to move up, lacked proper training, management rotation not advanced to its full potential, typically worked alone during the day as the department was small, the culture was very strict, making hard to work with positive energy, hardest part of the job would be to have a unskilled supervisor, most enjoyable part of the job, i got to work alone.
Personally I feel I was asked to do too much for the little time I had
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2017
Some days would be light work, then other days it would be hectic but I was able to finish my work every shift. Depending on what department you're in, some of the management were horrendous and did little to no work which angered most of the workers in said departments. The workplace could be fun at times depending on who was working at the time. The job demanded too much for the little pay I received. At first I didn't mind the work, but as I neared a year I hated going into work.
Productive and amicable work environment.
Shipper/Receiver/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON23 January 2017
The jobs diversity from the suppliers to the drivers creates stimulation and makes every day different and challenging. Staff are motivating and encouraging. I enjoyed the challenges that were put forth every day and the supervisors did a great job making sure that things ran smoothly. If ever there was a conflict on the work orders, I knew that I could approach them easily and felt confident that I could work through the problems and have them corrected within a timely fashion.
Pros
Pleasant work environment.
Cons
Distance.
learned alot but hard environment to work in
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB31 January 2017
mostly cake decorating at the moment and in the backery. work y myself most of time

learned how to decorate cakes, package all bakery products

direct management is reliable and knowledgable, store management is underqualified and exceptionally hard to work for

department segregation seems the norm

unpredictability of hours and shifts

like the people i work with and the customer relations, enjoy ability to be creative with the cakes
Pros
early off hours
Cons
unpredictibility
No place for career.
Retail Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  HRM,NS15 February 2017
I trained to be a Butcher/Meat Cutter at Sobeys eventually working in most of their stores in HRM throughout a almost nine year career.
I cant call it a career because they never paid me more than 9.50 per hour or hired me full time but I was good enough to work in most of theirs within HRM and outskirts?

I quit working for Sobeys when less experienced boys were hired full time over me with less training and experience, at Sobeys its more important who you know rather than being a dedicated hard working employee.

Be smart stay in school and get a real career!
Pros
It was great at first, but when you cant pay your bills...
Cons
No money, under paid
Safe, fun environment, and Great staff
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
Every morning the employees would sign in at the start of their shift. Than we grab a power jack or fork lift next we start on our work orders. There is always a supervisor on the floor or the main desk in the warehouse is always open for questions and help. Work in the warehouse is enjoyable the hardest part is keeping up with delivering orders on time. I like to finish my orders on time and I like working under low supervision.
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2017
A typical day at work involves data analysis, building/maintaining data and excel templates, responding to ad hoc queries and involvement in process improvement activities. I have added a new business intelligence tool to my portfolio of data analysis software. Management is flexible and approachable whilst constantly encouraging staff to use initiatives to solve problems. My co workers are fantastic team players. The hardest part of the job is predicting economic impacts on the financials.
The most enjoyable part is resolving queries / exceeding customer expectations and receiving recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
late hours
It was OK.
frontend service clerk (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL1 January 2017
It over all would end up to be ok. The place I worked had a bit of a boss that was extreme to be precise and the job i had was demanding at best. Being that i had to handle everything on the outside of the building right down to the gravel on the parking lot then getting scolded for not being able to make up for others not doing their share was rough and trying not to get sick for being around everyone in the area as well as bad weather but it was work. so all in all it was ok.
Pros
Decent pay for full time.
Cons
no positive reinforcement from management and barely enough hours to make quota.
Great place to learn customer service skills
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2017
Typical day is well balanced between people and work. Our front end manager is great and helpful. Everyone gets along and helps each other out. I enjoy being around everyone and being able to converse with people who come into the store. The hardest part of the job is having to find things to do on slow days to prepare the store for people to come in and shop happily and efficiently.
worked alone and was able to do all i needed to do
Shipper and Receiver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 January 2017
set up my double pallet jack and sign into the Loblaw computer headset, once signed in i would start by picking orders and place merchandise on my pallet, putting them in the shipper/receiving bay,
Would start the next order and continue the same thing till all the pieces and orders were picked for that day
Pros
worked alone
Cons
unfair expectations on pick order speed
I had fun working there, it was a positive experience.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2017
I had only worked 8 months but in that time I made many friends there. I was trained by just about everybody there everyday to be a better employee. The job was fun and there was always something that needed to be done which kept me busy and helped pass the time for my shifts.
The patrons weren't very polite and would often harass employees by slamming their carts into the cashier stands,and or insulting them But that was about the only bad thing about working there, although that was due to the location of the building. management was reasonable, schedules were reasonable, shift hours were reasonable, i didn't have much to complain about. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Nice staff, excellent training, reasonable hours and scheduling.
Cons
bad patrons and location.
Okay starting job.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Angus, ON5 January 2017
I liked the people I worked with for the most part and I like some of the management it was truly what you made of it.

A typical day is basically going in throwing up stock and other little things, pretty basic stuff.

Co-Workers were pretty middle of the road in terms of enjoyability
Pros
If you can find people you enjoy working with it makes the job better.
Cons
No discount, management can be condescending.
Very stressful environment and you are expected to do more work for less pay that is overloaded and barring.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 November 2016
Sobeys is a terrible company to work for as they are always looking to pinch their employees so they can save money. The workloads are very over-bearing and it does not support a very good team environment. Ungarunteed hours and most of your hard work goes unrecognized. I was also "let go" while on maternity leave, which is not legal. I never felt appreciated and there were no benefits, or incentive to take on the duties in which I was expected to do.
Pros
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Cons
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Working with the staff was great.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB29 November 2016
At Sobey's I started at 6:00 am. Would start packing the products that were ready for us. I learned how to make donuts, cut bread, helped in the back making the product. The management was poor. The co-workers were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was dealing with management. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I made some friends there and they were a great team.
Pros
We got profit shares at the end of the year.
Cons
Shift work.
Best Job ever
Produce /Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON16 December 2016
I worked many different shifts, I learned new things everyday, management was amazing, my coworkers are amazing people, i still stay in contact with them, hardest part of a job was managing the lines during night shift, as i was the only one working cash, most enjoyable part of working there was seeing the smiles on peoples faces when they were greeted kindly, especially when they were having a bad say.
Started out working for IGA as a student when I was 13. Worked my way up to become a meat Manager by the time I was 19.
Meat manager (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON3 January 2017
Great and fun place to work, met lots of great staff and customers over the years,

Great culture
Very friendly management
Great corporate structure
Lots of opportunities
Very good benefits
Well managed policy's and procedure

Team building
Coaching and leadership training
friendly working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB14 November 2016
An interesting day to serve customers in a daily basis. I have learned how to work in multitasking, team work and productivity. The management is good. My co-workers are fun and happy to be with.
Anyone can work the hardest, but only special people can sit on a rock and come up with a brilliant idea at the end of day your enjoying what your doing not noticing the stress.
Pros
bonus for no lates and no absents
Cons
reducing hours of work due to recession
It was great
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK7 December 2016
Excellent work ethic
Good attention to detail, planning and scheduling, organizing, time management
Customer oriented
Ability to plan and organize in a self-directed manner
Strong communication skills; Written and Verbal, able to effectively relate to a wide range of people.
Experienced in staff training; ability to lead and direct others
Working knowledge of computers
Métis
enjoy working there especially interacting with customers
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, AB26 November 2016
Always assisting customers.
How to be polite to customers and treat them with respect.
Very very nice management gets along with everyone just fine.
Sometimes lazy BUT eventually gets the job done.
Going to work after someone who doesnt care about their job.
Making customers leave with a smile on their faces.
Pros
free snacks and hot beverage always
Cons
8hr shifts
Pharmacy
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC15 December 2016
I was suppose to get training for 2 weeks but was only given 4 days of training. Thrown right into work,told I was doing a fantastic job then when my 3 months were up I was let go with an explanation of not being a good fit. I over heard at another store that this has become the common practice for this company!!! I don't recommend working for this company!
Pros
Starbucks
Cons
None flexible