Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,040 reviews matching the search
Very stressful environment and you are expected to do more work for less pay that is overloaded and barring.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 November 2016
Sobeys is a terrible company to work for as they are always looking to pinch their employees so they can save money. The workloads are very over-bearing and it does not support a very good team environment. Ungarunteed hours and most of your hard work goes unrecognized. I was also "let go" while on maternity leave, which is not legal. I never felt appreciated and there were no benefits, or incentive to take on the duties in which I was expected to do.
Pros
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Cons
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Hard work with unreasonable expectations
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 November 2016
I have written a review for Sobeys RSC Winnipeg 3 times now and it just keeps getting deleted!
The work as an Order Selector is brutal. They expect you to go so fast. If you are 18 to mid 20's and in really good shape you may find this place acceptable.
The equipment is very old and poorly maintained. The warehouse floor is crowded and it is hard to do your job in between the excess staff working and the many pallets blocking the isles.
They just signed their first union contract that is terrible and they agreed to 9 YEARS!
Pros
Nice hot inexpensive food in the onsite cafe.
Cons
Forced overtime, poor placement of items in warehouse making it hard to pick orders, poorly maintained machines
friendly working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB14 November 2016
An interesting day to serve customers in a daily basis. I have learned how to work in multitasking, team work and productivity. The management is good. My co-workers are fun and happy to be with.
Anyone can work the hardest, but only special people can sit on a rock and come up with a brilliant idea at the end of day your enjoying what your doing not noticing the stress.
Pros
bonus for no lates and no absents
Cons
reducing hours of work due to recession
Working with the staff was great.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB29 November 2016
At Sobey's I started at 6:00 am. Would start packing the products that were ready for us. I learned how to make donuts, cut bread, helped in the back making the product. The management was poor. The co-workers were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was dealing with management. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I made some friends there and they were a great team.
Pros
We got profit shares at the end of the year.
Cons
Shift work.
enjoy working there especially interacting with customers
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, AB26 November 2016
Always assisting customers.
How to be polite to customers and treat them with respect.
Very very nice management gets along with everyone just fine.
Sometimes lazy BUT eventually gets the job done.
Going to work after someone who doesnt care about their job.
Making customers leave with a smile on their faces.
Pros
free snacks and hot beverage always
Cons
8hr shifts
It was great
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK7 December 2016
Excellent work ethic
Good attention to detail, planning and scheduling, organizing, time management
Customer oriented
Ability to plan and organize in a self-directed manner
Strong communication skills; Written and Verbal, able to effectively relate to a wide range of people.
Experienced in staff training; ability to lead and direct others
Working knowledge of computers
Métis
Tedious, repetitive
Deli Server (Former Employee) –  Blenheim, ON15 September 2016
start after school around 4-9
summer 3-9

Clean and sanitize meat slicers
clean and sanitize counters
clean display case, windows and inside
dishes
sweep/mop
serve customers,
operate slicers
slice cheese and meat, different slicers
wrap meats at the end of the night
take garbage to the back when called a certain code

Paid bi-weekly
Pros
coupons, working with the public, decent hours
Cons
working with difficult customers, not very good training
Productive workplace
Cake decorator (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB26 September 2016
I really enjoyed the environment. I enjoyed decorating the cakes for different occasions. I learned how to air brush cakes. I picked up a few extra tricks for decorating the cakes. I worked alone most times and that was enjoyable. But when my foot broke they didn't keep my spot as cake decorator when my foot healed up. That was about the only bad thing working for Sobey's.
Pros
Discounts for groceries
good place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
i really enjoyed working here while i was in high school! they were very good with scheduling me around my school and they really support people getting there education. everyone in my department got along really well and it was always fun! management is also really good! the store manager i had was really involved and actually got to know everyone who worked in the store and was always there to help when needed. the pay isn't that great and you don't get a raise very often but overall i really enjoyed working here
Pros
ALWAYS samples in lunch room, nice staff
Fast pace, labour intensive environment with hard working colleagues.
Deli Clerk (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
If you are looking for new challenges and opportunities everyday in a labour intensive environment while working within team settings Sobeys is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers, wonderful HR staff & store managers
Cons
Maximum of 32 hours for part-time staff, very limited pay raises, no employee discount
Great place to interact with co-workers and customers.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB20 October 2016
I have done this type of work in the past and it is a bit difficult physically, but it's getting better every day. I love meeting and interacting with the customers. I've only been there a month, so I haven't gotten to know very many people, but the other cashiers are very nice and so is my supervisor.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Physically challenging
fun working with customers staff fun lunchroom only
Cashier / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2016
My job included handling closing shift closing down tills late at night Staff where friendly for the most, but some co-workers where power hungry so felt this was not a place I felt comfortable working any more. I miss most of the cashiers as they are the best part of the job
Pros
close to home
Cons
feelings of being over used
Great learning experience
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Paris, ON16 August 2016
As Sobeys being my first form of employment, I was not only shown basic cash and customer service skills but gained knowledge on working for a large company and the positions within. With food safety being the main priority I was taught extensive cleaning and safety measures. I have had the pleasure of serving small town clientele that are usually a lot more amicable and courteous which results in an overall pleasant work experience.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Limited room for growth
Productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB16 August 2016
A typical day at work was standing around, ringing peoples groceries through. I learned some important social skills and how to multitask more easily. Management was friendly and taught me well. I got along with most of my coworkers. The hardest part of the job was probably when the sore was bus and I either ran out of bags or the computer froze. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiling, satisfied customer leaving the store.
productive and on the go work place
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB31 August 2016
bagging groceries, collecting carts and baskets. co-workers are friendly and hard-working, the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and talking to customers. hardest part of the job is dealing with the busy times because sobey's gets busy at different times throughout the day.
Pros
you would get free food in the lunch room occasionally
Cons
shifts are hard to get
Fun workplace with great staff
Customer Service/Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL25 September 2016
I loved my coworkers and the staff was very efficient and committed. It was easy to get time off if required, and was an overall great company to work for. What I have gained from working at Sobeys for three years is great customer service skills, and a quick and efficient work ethic in a fast-paced work environment.
Fast Work Fun , Something You can take enjoyment out of working.
Forklift Operator Wear House (Former Employee) –  Debert, NS9 August 2016
Building Pallets and driving the fork lift or pallets jacks , you had to pick count on a week base overall count from your five days of picking pallets for stores. Management Was pretty good overall other then head office which didnt really see the work that was being done and how well. The Hardest part of the job was trying to push your own numbers trying to show that you can pick the best numbers in the plant.
Pros
Bounces if trucks were done on time or early
Cons
If people were slacking and bring down every ones numbers
Deli Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 November 2016
I enjoyed my time working at Sobeys, along with most of the staff I worked with. However, the manager of the department I was in preferred to play favorites and only those who were friends with her received special treatment, such as all time off requests, advancements, bonuses, etc.
Pros
Enjoyed the work I did
Cons
Management attitude
Productive, fun place to work
Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON4 November 2016
Always something to do, good customers, was fun working with flowers, worked on my own a lot(I personally didn't mind), was therapeutic at times. Management was nice and friendly, however they are the sole reason for my departure. You're in water a lot, your hands are frequently cold, you have dirt under your nails almost always.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 August 2016
cashier

i would scan items in order for people to pay for them and handle cash at various times throughout my shift. When there was a break in a rush we would have to clean our areas and invite people to come to our checkout.

The co workers were nice and fun to work with, but the managers were tolerable and i listened to them every time they gave orders, they were just not nice at many times
Pros
good work environment