Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,039 reviews matching the search
good place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
i really enjoyed working here while i was in high school! they were very good with scheduling me around my school and they really support people getting there education. everyone in my department got along really well and it was always fun! management is also really good! the store manager i had was really involved and actually got to know everyone who worked in the store and was always there to help when needed. the pay isn't that great and you don't get a raise very often but overall i really enjoyed working here
Pros
ALWAYS samples in lunch room, nice staff
Very stressful environment and you are expected to do more work for less pay that is overloaded and barring.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 November 2016
Sobeys is a terrible company to work for as they are always looking to pinch their employees so they can save money. The workloads are very over-bearing and it does not support a very good team environment. Ungarunteed hours and most of your hard work goes unrecognized. I was also "let go" while on maternity leave, which is not legal. I never felt appreciated and there were no benefits, or incentive to take on the duties in which I was expected to do.
Pros
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Cons
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Fast pace, labour intensive environment with hard working colleagues.
Deli Clerk (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
If you are looking for new challenges and opportunities everyday in a labour intensive environment while working within team settings Sobeys is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers, wonderful HR staff & store managers
Cons
Maximum of 32 hours for part-time staff, very limited pay raises, no employee discount
Fun workplace with enjoyable workers.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2016
I worked in the deli department. My manager was really good at her job and gave me great direction and trained me really well. I had to make sure everything was cleaned and sanitized especially when working with meat and cheese. I had to make trays and I had a specific deadline. I had to cut cheeses and meats for customers. I had to greet customers and ask them for their orders. I had to always clean once in a while to make sure there was no cross contamination. I had to open and close the deli department and make sure everything was prepped or put away and ready to go. It was hard when I had deadlines but I always made them and it was also hard when there was a lot of customers at once. I always kept calm and got to every customer.
Pros
Sobey's Club
Cons
No benefits
productive workplace
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and Regina, SK2 September 2016
I enjoyed working at Sobeys in Calgary. I was there almost 2 years. I did not approve of some of the management whose behaviour was questionable.
When I would raise that concern with them, I felt that my voice was never being heard.
Pros
pleasant coworkers and customers
Cons
management could have used more professionalism
Great manager/bad management
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, NS24 November 2016
I really loved my department and managers of the department however the greater management of the business was fairly absent, although did show interest if % were low or complaints arose.
Pros
great customers, training provided, great of students, flexible with hours
Cons
low rate of pay, benefits not great
Productive and fast-paced working environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pictou, NS6 May 2016
Sobey's is a great place to work, especially the staff and managment. There is always a lot of production to be completed, as well as constant interaction with other customers and co-workers. There is always room for advancement in management, but it does take quite some time to get to a higher level. The hardest part about the job, would have to be a lot of heavy lifting. I enjoy the people I work with, as well as meeting new people every day. It gives me an experience to interact with others, as well as gain personal skills.
Pros
Medical/dental benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier/Deli Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2016
A typical day in the kitchen was to prepare the minimum daily standards. Check for expired products, rotate and fill shelves accordingly. Provide customers with our full abided attention and customer service. Ensure they have a positive experience with us as well as exchange knowledge of our products for a eat better, feel better, do better experience. Help coworkers during peak times. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co workers. The hardest but expected part of the job was during peak times and not having enough hands to ensure the customers are served within a timely manner.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No benefits
productive, is very knowlegeable about their customers and store
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, ON1 April 2016
I have been working for almost a year and I have never had a bad experience working for this company. The workers and managers are excellent. The schedules are pretty much based around what you can work. They are a very flexible company. Honestly, Sobeys is a great place to work. Through my experience here I've learned to improve my time management skills. There is always a job. I believe the hardest part of the job is to always make a customer happy. Unfortunately you cannot make every single customer happy but you still should make the effort to try your best or to give other suggestions to make a better experience.
Pros
long hours, good salary, the people who work there
Cons
sometimes the customers
Deli Manager, produce mgr, FE mgr, admn mgr (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS24 November 2016
I worked for this company for ovet 37 years and truly believe it is one of the best ompanies to work for. They care about their employers, there is lots of room for advancement, and they have great benefits .
Hard work but friendly people
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 October 2016
Extremely fast paced and physically demanding. Great benefits and job security. Over 700 employees working on 3 shifts. Everyone was real easy to get along with.
Pros
Great wage and benefits
Cons
physically hard on the body
Very repetitive and hard on the body
Front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE11 May 2016
I worked as a front end cashier at Sobeys. A regular work day consisted of constant customer service. Helping customers find products if they are having trouble, making them aware of sales in the store, returning products to their appropriate place in the store. Emptying garbage, keeping my work area clean and tidy, dealing with money, rain cheques, gift cards, etc. I helped out in the grocery department with stocking shelves and I also helped out at the courtesy desk periodically.
Pros
Sometimes free samples
Cons
Hard on the body from the repetitiveness, hard work with minimum pay and no benefits
Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK6 December 2016
-Good work environment
-Fair enough management
-Customers interaction
-Helpful co-workers
-Staff events
-Benefits plan
fun place to work
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB28 July 2016
great place to work, willing to work with staff for the hours and days off, worked as a team. Everyone was enjoyable the ambiance was great to work in worked hard and yet still had the time to have fun as we worked.
Pros
ambiance is great
Cons
no advancement or raises
Fun place to work
IT Developer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 September 2016
Pros:
Nice working environment;
People are friendly;
Management team is okay;
Good vacation days given

Cons:
Salary is lower than the market;
Bonus is so so
Productive and fast pace workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 April 2016
The key trait that I learned from being a cashier at Sobeys was patience in dealing with all types of customers and learning how to provide the best possible customer service I can. Being an individual who makes friends quite easily has helped me to develop trusting and special relationships with my colleagues that have helped me to enjoy my job. The most difficult aspect of being a cashier at sobeys has been being in stressful situations involving unhappy customers and learning from experience how to calmly handle each unique situation.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
no benefits
Good company, good benefits
Cash Office Supervisor/baker/cake decorator (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NB14 June 2016
I had a good 21 years at Sobeys. It was a good work environment for the most part. It was most definitely a good learning experience for me as it gave me a lot of computer, and customer service experience that has and will most definitely continue to benefit me in my life.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough full time positions available
Productive and fun work place
Bakery Crew / Pastry Helper (Current Employee) –  Strathcona Park, AB16 June 2016
working in this company is really fun. they give us good salary and benefits. i learned lot of things example how to use some of there machines like bread slicer, pop crisps machine and more. I practice my decorating skills as well.
Pros
friendly coworker
Cons
An okay work environment but a bit toxic in terms of management/worker relations
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS5 February 2016
It was an okay job to be honest, very flexible especially if you're a part timer. But there was a fundamental distrust between management and the workers that sparked a lot of competition and made things uncomfortable and stressful. I personally didn't agree with a lot of company decisions, such as their prices. Since the 2 years that I started working there, they had been raised to ridiculous amounts for all their store made products, and at quantity and quality that simply wasn't worth the asking price in my eyes. I didn't feel good and took no pride working for a company like this, having to search for excuses to tell customers, and so I quit.
Pros
Flexibility with shifts and work hours
Cons
Stressful most of the time
Seems like a great place to work, really like my coworkers
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Oromocto, NB10 July 2016
I enjoy the job at sobeys warehouse, it has late hours but they seem fair with hours and benefits and such. the hardest part of the job is making count, my coworkers are great to work with, easy to get along, they make my job go by 10 times faster.