Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,207 reviews matching the search
Interesting work experience
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2017
A typical day at work involves stocking and organizing the produce section. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to and assisting customers.
Great entry level job
Front End and Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ON22 April 2017
The job was a great starter job and although i had different positions throughout the store, they always found a way to balance my schedule. Hardest part about the job was the limited number of hours I got.
Pros
Very accommodating, clean and comfortable place to work
Cons
Not enough hours to go around
Good place to work, lots of nice coworkers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 April 2017
Nice place to work, very understanding about working around school, can be a very repetitive and stand still job but there is usually something to be doing.
Pros
Great scheduling
Cons
Occasional favoritism
bad
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB21 April 2017
terrible place to work, only worked there for a month and was treated very porley, no room to advanc with the company, my mother has been with sobeys for over 25 years and is still part time.
Little or no communication because work will always keep you busy.
Assistant Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2017
A typical day at work is spending endless hours on replying to emails besides working on reports.

I learned how to work to my limits while managing time at the same time.

Poor management due to continuous transition since the takeover. Lack of communication and direction has caused a huge deal of losses to this company. Most managers do not take accountability. New projects are undertaken with no clarity of results.

Work life balance was below average as the company is always understaffed, resulting into more work added on to the limited number of employees. Due to these reasons, there is a high 'employee turnover' rate in this company.

Hardest part was to assimilate to one particular way of doing things as the senior management constantly changed methods to be more efficient.

The enjoyable part in the management team was that we used to get expensive grocery product samples to taste and take home if left. Besides that, I enjoyed playing in corporate challenge tournaments.
Pros
Free lunch for Christmas, Stampede. Lots of grocery samples, Salary
Cons
Excessive Overload, Understaffed, No fun activities other than corporate sports tournament
Good experience with powered pallet jacks and time management.
Order Fulfillment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2017
Over all it was steady and easy to learn, it just felt as if the job was always over crowded and people were easily agitated. Coworkers would have to rush around you or get angry when you were fresh in the learning process as they had been on a faster time crunch. In the end, working at this warehouse turned out to be a nice routine once the steep learning curve is over.
Pros
Often half days or lots of over time
Cons
Must learn the job quick
Decent, but no discount and poor management
Juice bar (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 April 2017
Sobeys is my first job which was fine in the beginning but I got sick of it really fast. My so called manager ignored my text concerning my work hours, wouldnt help me when people from work kept texting me, and tends to seem like hes annoyed with me every time i ask him a work related question. Nobody knew where the first aid kit was for the first few months of the store opening. I accidentily scraped my hand at work and one of the other managers didn't know where the first aid kit was either. A sink came apart as a fellow worker was using it and it shot water everywhere. The store is horribly managed in every way. I wouldn't suggest working here at all. At least not for very long.
Pros
Free wifi. Good break time. Generally nice people
Cons
Terrible management team. No discount. 5 piece uniform
Friendly Envirionment
Produce Associate (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON14 April 2017
Good management and modern environment with a variety of products. For holidays, the team of employees and managers would have a brunch provided by the staff members.
Pros
generous break times
Good workplace
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NB13 April 2017
Fast paste workplace, good hours, nice people to work with, good opportunities, I learned how to cook chicken and do trays, the most enjoyable part was the fun at work
Productive and nice place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stettler, AB12 April 2017
I am pleased with the work I have and the rest of my employees have done at Sobeys. My only concern was the people I worked with, not the company itself. I loved my time spent at Sobeys.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS11 April 2017
Days were long, 9 hours to be exact, i had only worked at the convenience store aspect of sobeys so overall i wouldnt go by just my review alone, however the whole structure of the company seemed stable at best, so 8/10 reccomend working for them
One of the worst jobs
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS11 April 2017
Micromanaged, no time to develop interpersonal relationships, repetitive, they don't recognize good customer service. Will never be a cashier again and especially not for sobeys .... seriously don't work there
Pros
food in the lunch room
People were very kind
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 April 2017
The people at Sobeys are always very kind. I can not say I have had a negative experience with any co-worker while being employed by Sobeys. Very healthy workplace.
It was a productive place to work
Deli Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2017
My job i work my typical day was prepared food like chicken and also served customers. I learned to being punctual doing all task timely fashion.My enjoyable part of my job is employee work co-worker amazing staff also customers. !!!!
productive and fun workplace
Store Front Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON10 April 2017
Sobeys is a fun and productive environment, always whiling to help customers with a smile on their face when needed. Sobeys is a like a big family always caring for others.
unsafe work enviroment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB10 April 2017
I liked the customers and co workers but management is a big flop
customer service reps do not help and get paid to stand there when a rush comes there is no urgency present
Pros
old bakery goods in lunch room
Cons
management
I loved my job there very much.
Seafood Clerk, Baker, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON10 April 2017
Sobeys was a great place to work, minus the fact of hours and advancement. I was there for 10 years and would still be there if it weren't for the stores closure. They treated their staff very well and we all felt appreciated.
Productive and fun workplace with options of further improvement.
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 April 2017
A wonderful workplace with an ever expanding cast of co-workers and learning. The salary may be a little dim but the overall experience from the store triumphs it all in the end.
Pros
Wonderful customers
Cons
No Discounts
Meh place to work.
Cashier and Fastlane Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 April 2017
Sobeys has a benefits program and a scholarship program which is awesome, I love how involved they are with their employees.
At the specific branch I am at there is a lot of gossip and people taking advantage of their "power position" unfortunately.
At first I was given a lot of hours but unfortunately now everyone only has maximum 3 shifts a week and they're still continuing to hire more people on in my department. If you are looking for a second job, this place is great, but don't rely on it as an only job.
Pros
benefits and scholarship programs. Very employee oriented
Cons
lots of gossip among cashiers, no hours
Was ok to work there
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 April 2017
i rang in customers groceries. dealt with some cranky ones. didn't work there long before i got put out on the smoke shop as i was pregnant and they didn't want me lifting heavy items.

smoke shop was a better environment and there wasn't a hole lot of cranky customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.