Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,086 reviews matching the search
It was OK.
frontend service clerk (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL1 January 2017
It over all would end up to be ok. The place I worked had a bit of a boss that was extreme to be precise and the job i had was demanding at best. Being that i had to handle everything on the outside of the building right down to the gravel on the parking lot then getting scolded for not being able to make up for others not doing their share was rough and trying not to get sick for being around everyone in the area as well as bad weather but it was work. so all in all it was ok.
Pros
Decent pay for full time.
Cons
no positive reinforcement from management and barely enough hours to make quota.
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2017
A typical day at work involves data analysis, building/maintaining data and excel templates, responding to ad hoc queries and involvement in process improvement activities. I have added a new business intelligence tool to my portfolio of data analysis software. Management is flexible and approachable whilst constantly encouraging staff to use initiatives to solve problems. My co workers are fantastic team players. The hardest part of the job is predicting economic impacts on the financials.
The most enjoyable part is resolving queries / exceeding customer expectations and receiving recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
late hours
Productive and amicable work environment.
Shipper/Receiver/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON23 January 2017
The jobs diversity from the suppliers to the drivers creates stimulation and makes every day different and challenging. Staff are motivating and encouraging. I enjoyed the challenges that were put forth every day and the supervisors did a great job making sure that things ran smoothly. If ever there was a conflict on the work orders, I knew that I could approach them easily and felt confident that I could work through the problems and have them corrected within a timely fashion.
Pros
Pleasant work environment.
Cons
Distance.
Very stressful environment and you are expected to do more work for less pay that is overloaded and barring.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 November 2016
Sobeys is a terrible company to work for as they are always looking to pinch their employees so they can save money. The workloads are very over-bearing and it does not support a very good team environment. Ungarunteed hours and most of your hard work goes unrecognized. I was also "let go" while on maternity leave, which is not legal. I never felt appreciated and there were no benefits, or incentive to take on the duties in which I was expected to do.
Pros
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Cons
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Working with the staff was great.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB29 November 2016
At Sobey's I started at 6:00 am. Would start packing the products that were ready for us. I learned how to make donuts, cut bread, helped in the back making the product. The management was poor. The co-workers were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was dealing with management. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I made some friends there and they were a great team.
Pros
We got profit shares at the end of the year.
Cons
Shift work.
friendly working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB14 November 2016
An interesting day to serve customers in a daily basis. I have learned how to work in multitasking, team work and productivity. The management is good. My co-workers are fun and happy to be with.
Anyone can work the hardest, but only special people can sit on a rock and come up with a brilliant idea at the end of day your enjoying what your doing not noticing the stress.
Pros
bonus for no lates and no absents
Cons
reducing hours of work due to recession
Best Job ever
Produce /Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON16 December 2016
I worked many different shifts, I learned new things everyday, management was amazing, my coworkers are amazing people, i still stay in contact with them, hardest part of a job was managing the lines during night shift, as i was the only one working cash, most enjoyable part of working there was seeing the smiles on peoples faces when they were greeted kindly, especially when they were having a bad say.
Okay starting job.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Angus, ON5 January 2017
I liked the people I worked with for the most part and I like some of the management it was truly what you made of it.

A typical day is basically going in throwing up stock and other little things, pretty basic stuff.

Co-Workers were pretty middle of the road in terms of enjoyability
Pros
If you can find people you enjoy working with it makes the job better.
Cons
No discount, management can be condescending.
I had fun working there, it was a positive experience.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2017
I had only worked 8 months but in that time I made many friends there. I was trained by just about everybody there everyday to be a better employee. The job was fun and there was always something that needed to be done which kept me busy and helped pass the time for my shifts.
The patrons weren't very polite and would often harass employees by slamming their carts into the cashier stands,and or insulting them But that was about the only bad thing about working there, although that was due to the location of the building. management was reasonable, schedules were reasonable, shift hours were reasonable, i didn't have much to complain about. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Nice staff, excellent training, reasonable hours and scheduling.
Cons
bad patrons and location.
enjoy working there especially interacting with customers
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, AB26 November 2016
Always assisting customers.
How to be polite to customers and treat them with respect.
Very very nice management gets along with everyone just fine.
Sometimes lazy BUT eventually gets the job done.
Going to work after someone who doesnt care about their job.
Making customers leave with a smile on their faces.
Pros
free snacks and hot beverage always
Cons
8hr shifts
Hard work with unreasonable expectations
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 November 2016
I have written a review for Sobeys RSC Winnipeg 3 times now and it just keeps getting deleted!
The work as an Order Selector is brutal. They expect you to go so fast. If you are 18 to mid 20's and in really good shape you may find this place acceptable.
The equipment is very old and poorly maintained. The warehouse floor is crowded and it is hard to do your job in between the excess staff working and the many pallets blocking the isles.
They just signed their first union contract that is terrible and they agreed to 9 YEARS!
Pros
Nice hot inexpensive food in the onsite cafe.
Cons
Forced overtime, poor placement of items in warehouse making it hard to pick orders, poorly maintained machines
It was great
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK7 December 2016
Excellent work ethic
Good attention to detail, planning and scheduling, organizing, time management
Customer oriented
Ability to plan and organize in a self-directed manner
Strong communication skills; Written and Verbal, able to effectively relate to a wide range of people.
Experienced in staff training; ability to lead and direct others
Working knowledge of computers
Métis
Started out working for IGA as a student when I was 13. Worked my way up to become a meat Manager by the time I was 19.
Meat manager (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON3 January 2017
Great and fun place to work, met lots of great staff and customers over the years,

Great culture
Very friendly management
Great corporate structure
Lots of opportunities
Very good benefits
Well managed policy's and procedure

Team building
Coaching and leadership training
Pharmacy
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC15 December 2016
I was suppose to get training for 2 weeks but was only given 4 days of training. Thrown right into work,told I was doing a fantastic job then when my 3 months were up I was let go with an explanation of not being a good fit. I over heard at another store that this has become the common practice for this company!!! I don't recommend working for this company!
Pros
Starbucks
Cons
None flexible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 December 2016
Work was boring
You learn things based on looking around you and what kind of workplace your in
Management wasn't the greatest because they allow some workers to be slobs
some coworkers was nice in a way they make you smile on such dull day
Having to do other coworkers job while they go enjoy themselves
It was not enjoyable
Pros
bad behaviors
Cons
friendly people
Great place to interact with co-workers and customers.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB20 October 2016
I have done this type of work in the past and it is a bit difficult physically, but it's getting better every day. I love meeting and interacting with the customers. I've only been there a month, so I haven't gotten to know very many people, but the other cashiers are very nice and so is my supervisor.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Physically challenging
Good atmosphere with better people
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 December 2016
Sobeys is a great place for a first job, you comnect with your co-workers and connect with your customers, I stocked shelves so I also got a lot of time to myself which doesn't hurt anyone, when you get a lot of time to your self you just have to make sure you're still working hard and efficient.
Pros
Good hours, good people
Productive workplace
Cake decorator (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB26 September 2016
I really enjoyed the environment. I enjoyed decorating the cakes for different occasions. I learned how to air brush cakes. I picked up a few extra tricks for decorating the cakes. I worked alone most times and that was enjoyable. But when my foot broke they didn't keep my spot as cake decorator when my foot healed up. That was about the only bad thing working for Sobey's.
Pros
Discounts for groceries
productive workplace
Cashier/floral clerk (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON15 January 2017
a typical day in the flower department is answering phone calls, taking orders or sending them out, cleaning the department, watering all the plants, making sure everything is full and presentable for customers. Every night you have different duties you need to accomplish.
Pros
great environment
Cons
short staff
Tedious, repetitive
Deli Server (Former Employee) –  Blenheim, ON15 September 2016
start after school around 4-9
summer 3-9

Clean and sanitize meat slicers
clean and sanitize counters
clean display case, windows and inside
dishes
sweep/mop
serve customers,
operate slicers
slice cheese and meat, different slicers
wrap meats at the end of the night
take garbage to the back when called a certain code

Paid bi-weekly
Pros
coupons, working with the public, decent hours
Cons
working with difficult customers, not very good training