Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,257 reviews matching the search
productive and regularly busy
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 May 2017
Got to meet and work with amazing people, learn about different elements in the food industry, cleaned work space regularly. Hardest part was management at the time but the original manager has since moved to a different store. The most enjoyable part was being about to work with my friends as well as making new friends.
Pros
Friends
Cons
bad management
great place to work
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 May 2017
I have been working at Sobeys full-Over the last 5 years. in the last 2 years there has been a consistent change in the organisational structure and internal movement of the employees, They have been struggling ever since taking over Safeway's western Canada operations.
Pros
Good wages, benefits, vacation, get to talk to customers
Cons
Need more labor, more work than people in the store.
Sobeys
Bakery Worker (Current Employee) –  Fonthill, ON23 May 2017
Work of two or three people placed on one person. Job is next to impossible. Some staff friendly, most not and unhelpful. Jobs works in a pinch but not recommended long term.
Everyone is positive and encouraging
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 May 2017
Working at Sobeys is like a community every looks out for each other and helps where they can. Sobeys gave me the opportunity to provide customers with best service and to improve my customer service skills.
Pros
Has good hot foods
Cons
No discounts
ehh
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON20 May 2017
it is physical demanding and very high pace. the time requirements seams unreasonable to complete causing the staff to have to make fake delays to make up for it
Pros
days go by fast
Cons
stressful
Good employer
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Moncton NB19 May 2017
My job includes customer service, cashier as well as parcel pickup. I work part time. Good environment with great co-workers and supervisors. Learned a lot.
Nice work environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ON19 May 2017
Everyone was easy to speak to and interact with. Most if not all are hard workers that like putting their all into a team experience. The management was friendly but not too much so that it interfered with the professional setting.
Wonderful Employee Environment
Sales Associate (Deli) (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 May 2017
It was wonderful working with the staff. The Managers were always nice and helpful in all departments. I also got incredibly good hours working there (20 -30 hours per week)
Family Business
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Redwater, AB19 May 2017
Since it's a small town business you feel close to everyone you're working with. The owner has changed since then and it's now an IGA but it was a positive experience overall
Kind people, but you lose interest relatively quickly
Cashier and Grocery (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2017
It is full of kind people. They work hard for the customers and they truly do care. After a while, like most jobs, it gets stale and you begin losing interest quite quickly. Management is mostly full of lovely people, with a few exceptions. If there were any sort a small benefit given to the employees, as I don't believe that they prioritize their workers, would help to give energy back into the environments
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sobeys west end17 May 2017
Sobeys was a very fun job and the hours where great but I don't really have a good review cause I was only there for a couple weeks because I moved to Edmonton Alberta with my mom and I had to quite but during the time I was there it was fun and easy going
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Less brakes
Very productive and enjoyable workplace .
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2017
The management was exceptionally good, very nice to get along with and the company incentive was in placed. My hours were secured and also my supervisor was so friendly.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long secure hours
Friendly co-workers, decent environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 May 2017
Sobey's is not a bad first job, and it's also not a bad job to have if you're wanting to attend university as well. The hours and wages could use a little working on, but not too big of a complaint there.
Pros
good environment
Cons
hours can be cut
Nice People to work with
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 May 2017
I enjoy the people I work with, just not getting enough hours to make a living. They schedule you around other jobs that you have to work in order to make ends meet.
Mind numbing at times, same level coworkers save the day
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Parry Sound, ON15 May 2017
Depending on management, any minimum wage job can be life draining very fast. teaches organizational skills as well as conversational skills and customer service. Progression is slow.
They hold work place activities like Christmas parties , staff BBQ'S
FRONT END COURTESY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Alberta13 May 2017
Co-workers are always very friendly , caring about you. Very clean store . Good managers . Parking lot is always full of vehicles . But bringing in loads of carts can be dangerous as people wont stop to let you push your load across . They need crosswalk lights . They also need to get an electronic reader board . They do celebrate your birthday there so that's nice.
Pros
Everyone that works there is friendly. They treat a person with respect.
Cons
Not enough hours or pay
Sobeys
Operated hand (Current Employee) –  Antigonish, NS12 May 2017
Coworkers and management were easy to get along with. Backshop was frequently 'cramped', but manageable. Not currently looking to leave, unless the job offers full-time hours.
Fantastic place to work
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB11 May 2017
As a whole the company is really well managed and consists of an almost always great work environment and great teamwork.
I learned a lot about managing my time wisely and working hard to get all tasks done in a timely manner.
Management always had your back and made sure you knew how to do tasks properly and when to do them.
The hardest part of the job was keeping things consistent, always maintaining the same standards throughout the store and working towards that standard.
The best part of the job was being introduced to new tasks and responsibilities and always feeling prepared for new tasks when management thought you were ready for them.
Pros
Great work environment, consistent hours
Cons
no perks
Great place to work for a first job
Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2017
I found Sobeys to be a great place to work at for my first job. The department managers at the specific branch I worked at were all excellent at their job. The other employees were all very friendly and helpful, which made working there a very positive experience.

The work itself was very easy, often repetitive, so it could get a little draining. However since they were often understaffed, this meant everyone had to take on more work than their initial position might've entailed. This was kind of a blessing in disguise, since it allowed for more variety in day to day work.

When I was working there there were ways of bettering your pay, Sobeys had an automatic raise system based on the hours that you'd have worked. this typically amounted to a dollar raise per year. This encouraged me, at least, to stick with the job for quite a while. Especially since the atmosphere of the branch I worked in was so positive.

Definitely would recommend this company for anyone looking for a first time job or a career in retail.
Pros
Opportunity for higher wages
Cons
Retail
great company to work for
Meat clerk/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS11 May 2017
enjoyed my time both in store and at the warehouse. good starter job for students as there is much room to learn and you can advance with right attitude

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.