Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,135 reviews matching the search
A job not recommended.. find any other place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON23 February 2017
Management and higher don't care about us as employees

Toxic and unfriendly work environment, very few of the employees enjoy coming to work anymore

Poor hours and pay is not that great, chances for a raise is nearly impossible

No room to grow or advance

Not about quality of work out of employees just about how long you've been there and how much you kiss managements butts .. hard work doesn't pay off at all

We had to pay for our dinner at Christmas and they called it a "Christmas party" at a restaurant half of the people couldn't get to because they don't drive
Pros
Shifts do end
Cons
No sense of engagement for staff
Started out working for IGA as a student when I was 13. Worked my way up to become a meat Manager by the time I was 19.
Meat manager (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON3 January 2017
Great and fun place to work, met lots of great staff and customers over the years,

Great culture
Very friendly management
Great corporate structure
Lots of opportunities
Very good benefits
Well managed policy's and procedure

Team building
Coaching and leadership training
good place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
i really enjoyed working here while i was in high school! they were very good with scheduling me around my school and they really support people getting there education. everyone in my department got along really well and it was always fun! management is also really good! the store manager i had was really involved and actually got to know everyone who worked in the store and was always there to help when needed. the pay isn't that great and you don't get a raise very often but overall i really enjoyed working here
Pros
ALWAYS samples in lunch room, nice staff
Structured work place allowing a chance to move up, lacked proper training, and did very little to maintain employees.
Assistant Manager, Seafood Department (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 January 2017
Emphasized on chances to move up, lacked proper training, management rotation not advanced to its full potential, typically worked alone during the day as the department was small, the culture was very strict, making hard to work with positive energy, hardest part of the job would be to have a unskilled supervisor, most enjoyable part of the job, i got to work alone.
Relaxing work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL26 February 2017
I worked for this company for 20+ years and found it to be a good place to work. They treat their employees well, fair and I have never heard tell of anyone getting fired. They take customer service very seriously. I can always count on them for good customer service. They have good work culture such as having a TV for watching hockey games, etc.
Pros
Free food samples to show appreciation
Cons
Standing all day, sitting not allowed on checkouts for cashiers with osteoarthritis in their knees or hips.
Good work place
full-time baker (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS29 January 2017
Sobeys can be a great place to work with competitive wages and good benefits. I learned a lot there about management, baking, seafood. For the most part the culture is everyone works as a team.
Good job until they gave me more hours then I asked for
Shelf Stocker, Customer Service and Inventory (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB6 February 2017
I had a great time working there the management was decent and treated me well, until they started giving me more hours then I asked for which became too much to balance between school and work.
Pros
Sometimes we would get free lunch or breakfast
fast pace, great staff
Marketing Coordinator - Retail Marketing (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 February 2017
exciting place to work, pushes you to work hard and be your best.I enjoyed the staff and meeting the clients. great amenities for the staff to enjoy. they have a gym and great cafeteria food options.
Pros
affordable cafeteria for staff
Cons
management can be difficult to deal with
Good people, Hard work, Bad managment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON5 September 2016
A typical day at work at Sobeys would be. Arrive and punch in, go to my department and check for a list that my manager would have left for me. Often times my manager wouldn't leave me anything. We'd fill up the floor and then receive the order for the day. then we would clean till the end of our shifts. On this job I learned Tricks on how to make vegetables look fresher. The management sucked. My manager was a never around and never pushed us to work harder. The store manager was mean person he was never satisfied he'd tell us to work on something that didn't need working on and then yell at us for letting other stuff go down. My co-workers were really good people i had a very good time getting to know them. The hardest part was unloading big orders, our cooler was pretty small and our orders were generally big so it made unloading pretty difficult and stressful. The most enjoyable part was getting to know everyone they were good people i still keep in touch with even though I don't work there anymore.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks
Cons
Early 6am shifts
productive workplace
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and Regina, SK2 September 2016
I enjoyed working at Sobeys in Calgary. I was there almost 2 years. I did not approve of some of the management whose behaviour was questionable.
When I would raise that concern with them, I felt that my voice was never being heard.
Pros
pleasant coworkers and customers
Cons
management could have used more professionalism
I had fun working there, it was a positive experience.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2017
I had only worked 8 months but in that time I made many friends there. I was trained by just about everybody there everyday to be a better employee. The job was fun and there was always something that needed to be done which kept me busy and helped pass the time for my shifts.
The patrons weren't very polite and would often harass employees by slamming their carts into the cashier stands,and or insulting them But that was about the only bad thing about working there, although that was due to the location of the building. management was reasonable, schedules were reasonable, shift hours were reasonable, i didn't have much to complain about. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Nice staff, excellent training, reasonable hours and scheduling.
Cons
bad patrons and location.
Simple and enjoyable work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON21 December 2016
Sobeys has employee benefits for those who qualify, along with pay increase ever 700 hours worked. Management is reliable and friendly. Work environment is well balanced and cheerful.
Pros
Flexible availability.
Cons
Lack of full time positions outside of management
happy environment lots of good workers
Forklift and Dock Stocker Operator (Current Employee) –  Milton distribution centre27 January 2017
I started each day with a checklist for each machine operated by me throughout the day then i stretch for a few minutes,after i sign in my orders and begin my assignments.take my regular breaks and back to work until time to go home. I learned how to operate forklift high reach,Dock stocker,center rider and end riders also I did CPR and FIRST AID courses.learn about WHIMS. Management is good as long as you do your work you have no problem and I had a very good relationship with my supervisors and managers.We have a social committee and mostly everyone participated in group tours with our Friends at work and family at home.the hardest part of the job is to meet dead lines on a monthly basis but we always accomplished our dead lines.the most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers which seems like a family because we all helped each other and work as a team almost sixteen years together.
Good place if the management is right
Cash Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS24 February 2017
The problem with sobeys doesn't come with the actual work or benefits or pay or even the actual work.. if you happen to get on at a location with good management then you'll make the most of it. If not, everyone hates their jobs and is a hard place to work.
No place for career.
Retail Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  HRM,NS15 February 2017
I trained to be a Butcher/Meat Cutter at Sobeys eventually working in most of their stores in HRM throughout a almost nine year career.
I cant call it a career because they never paid me more than 9.50 per hour or hired me full time but I was good enough to work in most of theirs within HRM and outskirts?

I quit working for Sobeys when less experienced boys were hired full time over me with less training and experience, at Sobeys its more important who you know rather than being a dedicated hard working employee.

Be smart stay in school and get a real career!
Pros
It was great at first, but when you cant pay your bills...
Cons
No money, under paid
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2017
A typical day at work involves data analysis, building/maintaining data and excel templates, responding to ad hoc queries and involvement in process improvement activities. I have added a new business intelligence tool to my portfolio of data analysis software. Management is flexible and approachable whilst constantly encouraging staff to use initiatives to solve problems. My co workers are fantastic team players. The hardest part of the job is predicting economic impacts on the financials.
The most enjoyable part is resolving queries / exceeding customer expectations and receiving recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
late hours
Great manager/bad management
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, NS24 November 2016
I really loved my department and managers of the department however the greater management of the business was fairly absent, although did show interest if % were low or complaints arose.
Pros
great customers, training provided, great of students, flexible with hours
Cons
low rate of pay, benefits not great
Deli Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 November 2016
I enjoyed my time working at Sobeys, along with most of the staff I worked with. However, the manager of the department I was in preferred to play favorites and only those who were friends with her received special treatment, such as all time off requests, advancements, bonuses, etc.
Pros
Enjoyed the work I did
Cons
Management attitude
Deli Manager, produce mgr, FE mgr, admn mgr (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS24 November 2016
I worked for this company for ovet 37 years and truly believe it is one of the best ompanies to work for. They care about their employers, there is lots of room for advancement, and they have great benefits .
Fast pace, labour intensive environment with hard working colleagues.
Deli Clerk (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
If you are looking for new challenges and opportunities everyday in a labour intensive environment while working within team settings Sobeys is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers, wonderful HR staff & store managers
Cons
Maximum of 32 hours for part-time staff, very limited pay raises, no employee discount