Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,124 reviews matching the search
Very stressful environment and you are expected to do more work for less pay that is overloaded and barring.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 November 2016
Sobeys is a terrible company to work for as they are always looking to pinch their employees so they can save money. The workloads are very over-bearing and it does not support a very good team environment. Ungarunteed hours and most of your hard work goes unrecognized. I was also "let go" while on maternity leave, which is not legal. I never felt appreciated and there were no benefits, or incentive to take on the duties in which I was expected to do.
Pros
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Cons
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
good place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
i really enjoyed working here while i was in high school! they were very good with scheduling me around my school and they really support people getting there education. everyone in my department got along really well and it was always fun! management is also really good! the store manager i had was really involved and actually got to know everyone who worked in the store and was always there to help when needed. the pay isn't that great and you don't get a raise very often but overall i really enjoyed working here
Pros
ALWAYS samples in lunch room, nice staff
Started out working for IGA as a student when I was 13. Worked my way up to become a meat Manager by the time I was 19.
Meat manager (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON3 January 2017
Great and fun place to work, met lots of great staff and customers over the years,

Great culture
Very friendly management
Great corporate structure
Lots of opportunities
Very good benefits
Well managed policy's and procedure

Team building
Coaching and leadership training
Excellent starter job, with easy management gaining.
Customer Service, Cashier, Parcel Pickup, Grocery (Current Employee) –  Pictou, NS16 February 2017
Great starter job, they hire all kinds of people. Hundreds of locations accross Canada with the same goal, to help Canadians Eat Better, Feel Better, and Do better.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Overstaffed most of the time, preventing most from getting benefits. Shift work is not a permanent option.
Simple and enjoyable work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON21 December 2016
Sobeys has employee benefits for those who qualify, along with pay increase ever 700 hours worked. Management is reliable and friendly. Work environment is well balanced and cheerful.
Pros
Flexible availability.
Cons
Lack of full time positions outside of management
Great manager/bad management
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, NS24 November 2016
I really loved my department and managers of the department however the greater management of the business was fairly absent, although did show interest if % were low or complaints arose.
Pros
great customers, training provided, great of students, flexible with hours
Cons
low rate of pay, benefits not great
Fast pace, labour intensive environment with hard working colleagues.
Deli Clerk (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
If you are looking for new challenges and opportunities everyday in a labour intensive environment while working within team settings Sobeys is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers, wonderful HR staff & store managers
Cons
Maximum of 32 hours for part-time staff, very limited pay raises, no employee discount
Good work place
full-time baker (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS29 January 2017
Sobeys can be a great place to work with competitive wages and good benefits. I learned a lot there about management, baking, seafood. For the most part the culture is everyone works as a team.
Deli Manager, produce mgr, FE mgr, admn mgr (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS24 November 2016
I worked for this company for ovet 37 years and truly believe it is one of the best ompanies to work for. They care about their employers, there is lots of room for advancement, and they have great benefits .
awesome coworkers to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 February 2017
Sobeys is a very good company to work for. I never had any bad experiences . Awesome co-workers, excellent customers, and good benefits. You stand for periods of time, but it comes with the job. I would work for Sobeys again.
Pros
awesome job
Cons
standing sometimes hard on back and legs.
It's an okay place to work
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON30 January 2017
The benifits are great . It's a good company over all to work for but you have to be willing to give up a lot of your personal time , your schedule is different every week making it impossible to make appointments .
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Different schedule week to week
productive workplace
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and Regina, SK2 September 2016
I enjoyed working at Sobeys in Calgary. I was there almost 2 years. I did not approve of some of the management whose behaviour was questionable.
When I would raise that concern with them, I felt that my voice was never being heard.
Pros
pleasant coworkers and customers
Cons
management could have used more professionalism
Productive place to work
Assistant Manager, Retail Store (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2017
Provides opportunity to learn and run things independently with ample opportunity for growth as it is an emerging store chain. Provides health benefits for employees who are regular here.
Fun and Amazing People
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS9 January 2017
I loved the people I worked with but they kept telling me I was a few hours short of applying for benefits and I had been working there for over 6 years.
Pros
Fun people, Christmas Parties
Cons
Schedule sucks, Very strict on dress code.
Hard work but friendly people
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 October 2016
Extremely fast paced and physically demanding. Great benefits and job security. Over 700 employees working on 3 shifts. Everyone was real easy to get along with.
Pros
Great wage and benefits
Cons
physically hard on the body
Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK6 December 2016
-Good work environment
-Fair enough management
-Customers interaction
-Helpful co-workers
-Staff events
-Benefits plan
Fun workplace with enjoyable workers.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2016
I worked in the deli department. My manager was really good at her job and gave me great direction and trained me really well. I had to make sure everything was cleaned and sanitized especially when working with meat and cheese. I had to make trays and I had a specific deadline. I had to cut cheeses and meats for customers. I had to greet customers and ask them for their orders. I had to always clean once in a while to make sure there was no cross contamination. I had to open and close the deli department and make sure everything was prepped or put away and ready to go. It was hard when I had deadlines but I always made them and it was also hard when there was a lot of customers at once. I always kept calm and got to every customer.
Pros
Sobey's Club
Cons
No benefits
PArt time workers are underatted
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2017
Scheduling was very bad. Didn't treat employees properly. Didnt get good benefits. managers treat workers very poorly
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier/Deli Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2016
A typical day in the kitchen was to prepare the minimum daily standards. Check for expired products, rotate and fill shelves accordingly. Provide customers with our full abided attention and customer service. Ensure they have a positive experience with us as well as exchange knowledge of our products for a eat better, feel better, do better experience. Help coworkers during peak times. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co workers. The hardest but expected part of the job was during peak times and not having enough hands to ensure the customers are served within a timely manner.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No benefits
Productive and fast-paced working environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pictou, NS6 May 2016
Sobey's is a great place to work, especially the staff and managment. There is always a lot of production to be completed, as well as constant interaction with other customers and co-workers. There is always room for advancement in management, but it does take quite some time to get to a higher level. The hardest part about the job, would have to be a lot of heavy lifting. I enjoy the people I work with, as well as meeting new people every day. It gives me an experience to interact with others, as well as gain personal skills.
Pros
Medical/dental benefits
Cons
Not enough hours