Sobeys Employee Reviews

effective management
effective workplace
fun working
helpful employees
leaned a lot of things which are helpful in daily routine
Pros
discount
Cons
burden
co-op
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON26 May 2017
a very fun place to met a lot of new people and everyone is very nice and fun to work with everyone always has smile on there face and there are always happy
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
nothing
cool cooking classes and food
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 May 2017
it is a nice place to work ,friendly co workers, its hard to take time off most times, learn new things everyday, no workers discount . disorganized management of shifts .
Not much fun
Selector (Former Employee) –  Debert, NS24 May 2017
not much fun but have to pick boxes all day until your nuts fall off and your not able to feel your tongue, glad i stole their oatmeal cookies right from under their noses
Productive and Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC24 May 2017
I enjoyed working at sobeys. I was there for 2 years, was supervisor for 1 year. The hardest parts I found in the job at first was lottery and tobacco as well as inventory. It was a great environment to work in. everyone was fun and laid back but also did what they were supposed to do. It was amazing.
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
Loooong Hours
Job where you always have to watch your back.
Selector (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON24 May 2017
The job itself was not difficult but depending on the day the people made it difficult. If the management staff did not like you then they often made life difficult for you. Some people also had their little social groups that would do small things like get in the way of you working to delay your time. Also since it is a unionized job people get very selfish at times.
productive and regularly busy
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 May 2017
Got to meet and work with amazing people, learn about different elements in the food industry, cleaned work space regularly. Hardest part was management at the time but the original manager has since moved to a different store. The most enjoyable part was being about to work with my friends as well as making new friends.
Pros
Friends
Cons
bad management
great place to work
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 May 2017
I have been working at Sobeys full-Over the last 5 years. in the last 2 years there has been a consistent change in the organisational structure and internal movement of the employees, They have been struggling ever since taking over Safeway's western Canada operations.
Pros
Good wages, benefits, vacation, get to talk to customers
Cons
Need more labor, more work than people in the store.
Sobeys
Bakery Worker (Current Employee) –  Fonthill, ON23 May 2017
Work of two or three people placed on one person. Job is next to impossible. Some staff friendly, most not and unhelpful. Jobs works in a pinch but not recommended long term.
Everyone is positive and encouraging
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 May 2017
Working at Sobeys is like a community every looks out for each other and helps where they can. Sobeys gave me the opportunity to provide customers with best service and to improve my customer service skills.
Pros
Has good hot foods
Cons
No discounts
ehh
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON20 May 2017
it is physical demanding and very high pace. the time requirements seams unreasonable to complete causing the staff to have to make fake delays to make up for it
Pros
days go by fast
Cons
stressful
Good employer
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Moncton NB19 May 2017
My job includes customer service, cashier as well as parcel pickup. I work part time. Good environment with great co-workers and supervisors. Learned a lot.
Nice work environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ON19 May 2017
Everyone was easy to speak to and interact with. Most if not all are hard workers that like putting their all into a team experience. The management was friendly but not too much so that it interfered with the professional setting.
Wonderful Employee Environment
Sales Associate (Deli) (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 May 2017
It was wonderful working with the staff. The Managers were always nice and helpful in all departments. I also got incredibly good hours working there (20 -30 hours per week)
Family Business
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Redwater, AB19 May 2017
Since it's a small town business you feel close to everyone you're working with. The owner has changed since then and it's now an IGA but it was a positive experience overall
Kind people, but you lose interest relatively quickly
Cashier and Grocery (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2017
It is full of kind people. They work hard for the customers and they truly do care. After a while, like most jobs, it gets stale and you begin losing interest quite quickly. Management is mostly full of lovely people, with a few exceptions. If there were any sort a small benefit given to the employees, as I don't believe that they prioritize their workers, would help to give energy back into the environments
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sobeys west end17 May 2017
Sobeys was a very fun job and the hours where great but I don't really have a good review cause I was only there for a couple weeks because I moved to Edmonton Alberta with my mom and I had to quite but during the time I was there it was fun and easy going
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Less brakes
Very productive and enjoyable workplace .
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2017
The management was exceptionally good, very nice to get along with and the company incentive was in placed. My hours were secured and also my supervisor was so friendly.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long secure hours
Friendly co-workers, decent environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 May 2017
Sobey's is not a bad first job, and it's also not a bad job to have if you're wanting to attend university as well. The hours and wages could use a little working on, but not too big of a complaint there.
Pros
good environment
Cons
hours can be cut
Nice People to work with
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 May 2017
I enjoy the people I work with, just not getting enough hours to make a living. They schedule you around other jobs that you have to work in order to make ends meet.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.