Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Friendly people makes an enjoyable place to work
HMR hot foods (Current Employee), London, ONMay 18, 2016
Pros: Always something to do.
Cons: Haven't discovered the cons yet.
I find working in the HMR department to be a good place to work. The staff is friendly and I have learned so much. I know how to make all the hot foods in the Home Meal Replacement, from the chickens to the wedges, tenders, wings and sides. The manager in HMR is a very nice person and open to suggestions. For me the hardest part of the job is remembering all the codes and different things to cook, but I think I have it almost done pat. I find serving the customers my most enjoyable part of the job.
Productive and fast pace workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 26, 2016
Pros: coworkers
Cons: no benefits
The key trait that I learned from being a cashier at Sobeys was patience in dealing with all types of customers and learning how to provide the best possible customer service I can. Being an individual who makes friends quite easily has helped me to develop trusting and special relationships with my colleagues that have helped me to enjoy my job. The most difficult aspect of being a cashier at sobeys has been being in stressful situations involving unhappy customers and learning from experience how to calmly handle each unique situation.
Productive and career stability
Retail Operations/Department Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 24, 2016
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: No room for growth
Managing the day to day operations
Ensuring that daily tasks at hand are met
Ensure all employees needs are met
Ensure employee have the right tools to do the job

Love working with a hard working positive driving team to complete our tasks together.

Hardest part of the job is ensuring that everyone is on the same page and can work together and meet everyones needs.

Most enjoyable part of the job is learning something new everyday and able to build my experience and knowledge levels.
Very repetitive and hard on the body
Front end cashier (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEMay 11, 2016
Pros: Sometimes free samples
Cons: Hard on the body from the repetitiveness, hard work with minimum pay and no benefits
I worked as a front end cashier at Sobeys. A regular work day consisted of constant customer service. Helping customers find products if they are having trouble, making them aware of sales in the store, returning products to their appropriate place in the store. Emptying garbage, keeping my work area clean and tidy, dealing with money, rain cheques, gift cards, etc. I helped out in the grocery department with stocking shelves and I also helped out at the courtesy desk periodically.
I love working but Sobeys is the Devil.
Overnight Merchandiser (Former Employee), Sydney, NSApril 18, 2016
Pros: Not dealing with the public on backshift
Cons: people running a business that have no clue, they try to control you, "work is more important then family"
Sobeys seemed ok at first, until they started calling me in every night.. even if you work backshift they still expect you go to in for a "team meeting" at 1PM for 3 hrs then still go in for back shift. Oh, make sure you answer the phone when they call otherwise they just send people to your house. The Store manager has a god complex and actually told us that we need to realize work is more important then family.. yeah right BUD.. Worst job I've ever had.
Productive and a fun place to work.
Bakery (Former Employee), Morinville, ABApril 19, 2016
Pros: Most people were nice and the breaks were good.
Cons: Long hours.
I clock in and get to work packaging baked goods and putting them on the shelves. I learned how to properly pack and set up certain things. How to help customers when they need it. Management was good, was polite and understanding. Helped me when i needed help. Most of my co-workers were good, some were rude to me and didn't acknowledge me when we had a shift together. There was many hard parts, just working full time I wasn't used to it. The most enjoyable part was just meeting new people and learning new things everyday.
fun work place
Grocery Store Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 17, 2016
Pros: free coffee sometimes free lunches
Cons: 20 hours week four hours a day
i had my co op at school . I started 20 hours per week tuesday -friday
Each day I step in i start looking for expired items then i put food in freezers then they teach me about customer service for example i learned where every thing in the store was and learned the prices because if the customer ask where the eggs are for example there i the dairy isle .. they also taught me about organization skills and even the manger told me i was better than the staff
Great Work Place
Cashier and Selfserve Operator (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 6, 2016
Pros: Great Coworkers, very accepting of time off when needed
Cons: management is not fair
I very much enjoy this job, however the management can be very unfair and favorable. After months of asking I have seen other people being trained on the position I have wanted and have not been told a reason as to why I cannot be trained. My days are usually very enjoyable, even when there is a problem with a customer my supervisors are always there to help me if I need it. My coworkers are great, they are pretty much my second family outside of the work place. They are also very helpful whenever I need them at work. The most enjoyable part of this job is helping customers. Overall for a part time job, it has been very great!
Overall a good place to work.
Intermediate Business Technologist (Former Employee), Saanichton, BCMay 17, 2016
Pros: Great team environment
Cons: Lack of leadership from execuative
Working with Sobeys was mostly a positive experience. In the beginning there were lots of opportunities to further personal development, but as time went on those opportunities became less and less. The environment provided a great team experience as well as excellent direct supervision. I learned a lot from my team members and supervisors.
It was a blast!
CASHIER/ CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 6, 2016
Busy hours like lunch time and dinner time will drain you out but if you enjoy talking and getting to know your customers, it can be a great experience and it makes the time go by fast. Scheduling is always two weeks ahead so make sure that when you book off, book off as early as you can. Changes in management during my time there made policies and routines all messed up but it worked out well and is still in the process of stability.
productive, is very knowlegeable about their customers and store
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Grimsby, ONApril 1, 2016
Pros: long hours, good salary, the people who work there
Cons: sometimes the customers
I have been working for almost a year and I have never had a bad experience working for this company. The workers and managers are excellent. The schedules are pretty much based around what you can work. They are a very flexible company. Honestly, Sobeys is a great place to work. Through my experience here I've learned to improve my time management skills. There is always a job. I believe the hardest part of the job is to always make a customer happy. Unfortunately you cannot make every single customer happy but you still should make the effort to try your best or to give other suggestions to make a better experience.
Great environment, wonderful people
Hot Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 20, 2016
Pros: Good work environment, friendly coworkers and management, flexible
Cons: Not enough hours, physically demanding, unpaid lunch, no discount
Working at Sobeys has been a very good experience. The hot deli is one of the most physically demanding departments which made the work difficult for me personally. I really enjoyed the flexibility of being able to decide what to do and when, and I learned a lot about time management and deadlines. Management is always there for support and the company does an excellent job with employee engagement and trying to make the environment the best possible for all working there.
Experience at Sobey
Bakery (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONMay 16, 2016
Pros: Free Food
Cons: No hours
My experience at Sobeys wasn't that good. I didn't get a lot of hours, wasn't a very nice environment to be around. I did learn a lot like how to deal with difficult situations, how to close...etc. My co-workers were all rude and would talk behind everyone's back. The hardest part of my job would've been trying to make donuts perfect. And, the most enjoyable was working with cakes and lots of nice costumers.
Good place to work, friendly staff
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMarch 15, 2016
Typical day at work was calm and steady. I worked in the deli with 2-3 other people per day. My co-workers were reliable and punctual, friendly and helpful. Management was helpful as well, very understanding.
Hardest part was opening the Deli in the morning and having to get everything set up and ready by yourself. But it helped me to learn how to work independently.
The most enjoyable part was the friendly staff and our regular customers in the Deli.
A Good Starting Point
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Alliston, ONMarch 11, 2016
Pros: Great people, plenty to learn.
Cons: Not much room for growth.
A normal day at Sobeys in the morning would consist of first, culling the floor and the wet case. Making sure that there are no bad products before the store opened to ensure quality. Then, scanning out each item using CAO to maintain correct inventory numbers, and finally scanning each product out with PeriScope and calculating shrink for the day. After that, it's maintaining the floor and approaching customers asking if they need help finding anything or if they are looking for something in particular.
Cooperative Education
Co-op Placement in Bakery (Former Employee), Brighton, ONMarch 28, 2016
Pros: Volunteer Experience
I did cooperative education in the sobey's bakery. A typical day was bagging breads, rolls buns, etc. I learned how to work the labeling machine and the bread slicers. Management was good but my co-works were alright. The hardest part of the job was trying to do things quickly without experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was bagging the baked products.
Great management, comprehensive training, good environment
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee), Whitby, ONMarch 3, 2016
The work environment at Sobey's was great, a lot of the veteran employee's were very patient and helpful. The management, both lower and senior, were very friendly and understanding. Training was good. Union membership and benefits were on par with the industry's best.

Some of the other warehouse employees weren't very good people, acted very short sighted manner on the job and made the day harder than it had to be.
Great place to work!
Cashier/ Food Demonstrator (Current Employee), Bridgewater, NSMarch 2, 2016
Pros: Awesome Co-workers
Cons: Long shifts
My favorite thing about working at Sobeys is the employees, they all care about you, and they become your family. A typical day would be asking the supervisor what cash register number you're at, going down to set up, grabbing your first customer, ringing in groceries until they let you go for your break, then doing the same until you get off. They handle situations very professionally.
Team environment, highly engaging
Cashier (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 20, 2016
Pros: Career advancement opportunities
Cons: Long hours
I worked at Sobeys as a cashier assistant. I learned how to operate a cashier. Since this was my first retail job, I also learned how to interact with customers. The workers at Sobeys were very engaging and helpful towards each other. The co-workers that had been working there for longer would gladly help a new and learning worker out if he/she encountered an issue. The management at Sobeys was also very good. It kept workers in each department focused and working as a team at all times. The hardest part of this job was training myself to become efficient as possible in using the cashier from the day that I started work. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was interacting with all the customers, exchanging positive words and a smile felt good.
customer service and the fast pace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2016
Pros: The work experiment with co-workers and customers
Cons: The uniforms while being pregnant
I would open and place tills / lottery
make sure my cashiers know their duties.
answer phone calls, deals with customer returns
open deliver boxes and merchandise the tills

management was strict and efficient

never had a hardest part of my job because I could over come it and learn from the experience

I enjoyed the environment and the friendly staff. So I was always looking forward to work.