Sobeys

Sobeys Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Alot of learning opportunity towards baked goods.
Bakery Department (Former Employee), 2458 Dundas St. WMarch 3, 2015
Pros: 10% off all sobeys purchases.
Cons: unable to work at location due to it closing down and student salary.
While working at Sobeys, I learned how to decorate pastries. Pipe and write messages clearly on cakes. Bake and slice multiple types of breads, Stock and discharge new and old bakery buns. Overall Sobeys was an amazing learning experience.
sucked
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Saint John, NBMarch 3, 2015
didnt like it at all. too fast too slow. mean people to work with. bad part of town. busy people all the time. nope. not at all. yeap
nope
a positive surrounding, fun work place to work
butcher/seafood (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMarch 3, 2015
start the day of by setting up front display counters with different cuts of meat for the customers, stock reports, removing all meat close to expiration date, cut and wrapped meat for refilling the shelves through out the day. i`ve learned the different cuts of meat. The manager is very nice and is always trying to motivate the employes with small 5 min meeting with department telling them how good there numbers are for the week and always tell everyone know when something was going on in the store with promotions/sales. all the employes were nice fun people to work with that made the day feel shorter. The only hard part is all the numbers you need to know for identifying the different cuts of meat for wrapping and price.
Grocery clerk / customer service (Current Employee), New BrunswickMarch 2, 2015
Pros: good to work for.
Cons: needed more hours
Very good people. Boss worked with me on what ever I needed. Employees are all good to work with. Good place to work! Good good good good good good
Productive and good experience
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 27, 2015
Serving the customers cakes and cupcakes. I have worked more evening shifts then day shifts. Packed items, re-stocked frozen food items for morning employees and used scanner and bread slicer machine.
Just like a job.
Part time in the seafood department (Former Employee), Gravenhurst OntarioFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: not many customers so i had time to clean.
Cons: i had to much time on my hands everytime i worked.
A typical day at work was cleaning and moving the fish and lobsters.
I learned that lobsters have to be internally at 68 degrees before it is properly cooked. The management was always busy. My co-workers were pretty laid back most of the time. The hardest part of that job was lifting the ice trays, i have a bad back so it was putting a lot of strain on me. The most enjoyable part of my job was when i worked with an old friend of mine.
Fun and Lively Work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), St. John's, NLFebruary 25, 2015
Making sure customers found everything they were looking for. fast and friendly checkout, clean work space.
management was easy going and loved working for them
Coworkers were amazing and very approachable
memorizing codes was the hardest part
interaction between costumers and coworkers
Friendly and Family atmosphere love to work here
Cashier/Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: enjoy working with my co workers and makes for a fun day
Cons: hours have been cut back would love to work fulltime
work in a friendly environment and deal with 100 hundreds of customers daily. Management is friendly and helpful when needed and co workers are a little family and get along great.
Low Pay, Minimal Hours
Cake Decorator/Baker (Former Employee), Mississauga,OntarioFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: low pay
There was not a lot of work at sobeys even for a part timer. The people in the store were great. Very friendly and always helping each other. The atmosphere was great but the pay, lack of benefits, and shortness of hours made it difficult to stay at sobeys
Fun place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Saint John, NBFebruary 20, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to know your regular customers and having them come to you everytime they are in the store. Seeing the parents come in pregnant then have their babies and those children grow up before your eyes.
a simple place to work
Cashier/ Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2015
this job was a menial and easy job. exactly what you would expect from a job as a cashier. little room for advancement. i also found in a privately owned store there was strong ties between relatives. I was fired wrongfully because blood is thicker than water.
Slow-Fast paced work environment. An abundance of food code entry memorization
Cashier/Bag Boy (Former Employee), Fischer-Hallman Rd./Westmount Rd.February 16, 2015
Pros: convenient distance from home, comfortable workplace, friendly co-workers
Cons: customers were sometimes obnoxious and hard to handle at times.
I enjoyed my time at sobeys. I was mostly collecting carts and tending to cashier when i was needed to. Was a bag boy before being trained on cashier.
Productive Fun Place to work
Operations Clerk-Part Time (Former Employee), Milton, ONFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: meet great people
Cons: n/a
Fast pace, lots to learn. With opportunity for growth.
learned a lot about the industry. Great co-workers and management.
productive and busy
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Truro, NSFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: 15 min break per 6 hrs
Cons: mean staff
At Sobey's i was very active and always fast pace even when not needed, i was always jumping on opportunities to do more and to get jobs done for people.
Great learning experience
Supervisor/Keyholder (Former Employee), Chestermere, ABFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: learning a lot, being entrusted with a lot of responsibilities, frequent interaction with the customers
Cons: scheduling, poor management
A typical day at work would be either opening the store in the morning or coming in for the late shift and closing the store (filling out paperwork, handling the safe, balancing the tills, making sure the store was clean, making sure the products were faced), receiving large liquor and beer orders, placing the merchandise in its appropriate place, taking customers at the cash, managing overstock, taking product inventory.

I learned how to perform a lot of managerial tasks as I was entrusted with a lot of responsibilities.

My co-workers and I differed from each other on a personal level, but we didn't let that impede our work. We got along great and always got the job done!

Not the hardest, but the most tedious part of the job had to be having to take inventory of hundreds of selections of alcohol, wine, coolers, single beers, and craft beers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers find the perfect bottle of wine, or introducing them to a new drink recipe or new beer. Customer satisfaction was the most important part of the job for me.
busy but fun environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Beamsville, ONFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: fun place to be
Cons: log hours
busy days, staff were great, very supportive. Management as well. customers were not always the most pleasant to get along with. meeting new people was a great motivator
Decent place for a student
CASHIER (Former Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 9, 2015
Sobeys is a great place to work for a student. The pay is minimum wage, hard for those who need to make a living off of it. The management is okay, yet not so understanding at times when an employee has fallen ill.
Fast pace, and great customer service
Full- Time Deli Clerk/ Customer Service (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2015
I had very hard working co-workers. I did my best everyday at workplace. I have learned patience and how to get customers what they want.
productive and great enviroment
Produce Employee & Salad Bar Employee (Current Employee), 955 Westney Road SouthFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: long hours, great staff
Cons: no discounts, exspensive
great environment

great team work

great staff

healthy work lifestyle

always busy, never standing around

great customers
Productive , fun place , that is very customer oriented
Deli clerk (Former Employee), New Glasgow, NSFebruary 9, 2015
Working for Sobeys was a wonderful experience, my co workers were fun to work with and always willing to help if needed. A typical day consisted of reviewing production requirements, assessing amount of product on shelves, preparing replacement products or restocking items to bring them up to quota requirements. The most enjoyable part was working with the public and my co worker, everyday is a full of fun and interesting conversations..

1 2 3 4 5

About Sobeys

Sobeys is the second largest food retailer in Canada, with over 1,300 supermarkets operating under a variety of banners. Headquartered – Read more