Sobeys

Sobeys Employee Reviews

Worst job ever.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONApril 14, 2013
I worked as a part-time cashier in Sobeys for a year and a half. I was never given any employee discounts or benefits of any kind, never given even the slightest opportunity for advancement, and outlasted 4 front end managers. I was never given a proper schedule for breaks, we were always short staffed, I started to work full time hours while attending school full time, and I was only 16 at this point. Not only did the Sobeys store I worked for disobey so many labour laws, but it seems they refused to keep the store to sanitation standards (cockroaches everywhere, not to mention the state of the meat section).

The store I worked for has one of the highest turnover rates in all of Ontario, maybe even Canada. They would call me to work every day and punish me if I refused to come in by cutting my pre-scheduled shifts, they even called me to come in and work during my vacation with my family, outside of North America. Even after taking a vacation, my weekly hours were cut from a healthy 20-25 to a measly 5, maybe 8. This is when I sought out a new job.

The store manager mistreated the staff by yelling vulgar remarks at them and customers would complain to me or my superior that we were being exploited as employees. The front end managers were never properly trained and never took full responsibility, usually blaming the part timers for mistakes they made, or even stealing from the store. If a customer were to approach one of my superiors with a complaint that is completely irrelevant to how I serviced them as a cashier, I would be, simply put, punished for having a customer who
  more... came through my line-up come to them with a problem (even if it was about the fact that we had rotting produce out to sell).

Going in to work for this store was the ultimate hell. I'm sorry, but working for 8 hours straight and then having your break time cut short, or being harassed constantly by your employer to come in to take a shift that some other careless employee didn't show up for, and then threatened when you refuse to do so because you are at school (seriously they would call me every day no matter what time), all this is just plain unacceptable and inhumane.

The only thing I learned from this job was how to keep a fake smile plastered on my face while being screamed at by customers, and that retail/food is the worst place to work and gain experience.
Pros
meet new friends (other employees that quit after only a few months)
Cons
long shifts with no breaks, no benefits of any kind, unsanitary, exploitative treatment, you could not pay me enough to ever do this job again.

Comment – May 7, 2013

Why didn't you call the Ministries that regulate the problems you had. By saying nothing is contributing to your problems with them.

Great people to work with, but low wages and horrible hours
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 25, 2012
Just started working for Sobeys this past fall. Was off of work for a few years due to a disability and needed to get back to work ASAP for financial reasons and this was the first job I applied for. Very disappointed with the wage. Hard to live on $10 an hour and work part time. But I was warned by management that I would get any where from 18-23 hours a week. I am actually averaging from 15-20 hours, work every Saturday and Sunday. Some Sundays, I would only come in for 4 hours! Kind of a waste, when I take the bus and takes me an hour to get to the store and 2 hours to get home on a Sunday. 3 hours of travel to work only 4 hours lol. Thankfully at Christmas, it picked up to 32-38 hours/week.

But management expects a lot from you for only $10/h. Sometimes management will come up to me with a whole list of stuff to get done, when there is less than 2 hours remaining on my shift. Here I am running my butt off to get it done, when everyone else is dragging there butts. I feel that since I am the newest employee there, I have to work a little harder to make a better impression.

My co-workers are a great bunch of people. Always friendly and make my job more enjoyable to attend. If I am uncertain about where things go or how things work, they are very helpful.

The hardest (s) part of the job is when it's slow and no stock to put out, usually a 6 or 8 hour day on a Saturday. All I do is face shelves and look at my watch every 10 minutes, swearing at it because time is going so slow. Also, trying to help certain customers can be annoying, especially when they ask me for some screw-ball
  more... item I've never heard before or if they have problems speaking English.

The most enjoyable part is when we get a new shipment (a large one) and needs to be put out. Even though it's physically demanding and my muscles are sore at the end of the day, time flies by when I'm busy. Even though it can be frustrating trying to help some customers, most are very friendly and are a pleasure to serve. If you go out of the way to help people, they can be very appreciative, which makes you feel good inside.

Over-all I am happy with Sobeys. Would be much better if they paid a couple dollars more an hour and gave me a few more hours a week. At least pay $12/h and hand out at least 25-30 hours a week. 15-20 hours doesn't cut it.
Pros
people i work with
Cons
hourly wage, p/t hours
Fun and Entertaining place with Fun Picnics and Activities for Employees
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 10, 2012
Working with Sobeys was a great experience for me. When I tell my friends, family, (and even customers), what I do typically, they are in disbelief that my job is so easy, fun, and worthwhile. This is due to the fact all I do in my shifts are cut vegetables, fruits, and package trays for picnics. When I go into work, I say hello to my co-workers, talk to my manager about if there is anything new going on (specials) and see what I should help with if I finish early. After talking to my employer, I go into my area, pick the fruits I need, and get chopping. From doing this cycle, I have learned patience, consistency, and enhanced my customer service skills. My management is amazing, and they really helped me to understand what goes on with Retail, and assisted me in my education. The co-workers in my department have become some of my closest friends. We get our work done early because of how fun we keep the environment. We invite customers to play little games with us, and help them find their items in a special way each time. For example, a lady was looking for a type of lettuce that was no longer available at our store, but I helped her in picking out 3 different types of lettuces, for making a Garden salad, by listing things she enjoys eating in a salad. This would be the hardest part of the job because I don't always understand a customer, or have a certain item available for a tray. Sometimes, I don't always have any of the items necessary for an order, so I take the responsibility in contacting the customer and walking them through the problem. Sometimes they are understanding  more... and work with us to help solve the problem - Some solutions include asking them to pick up after we get the shipment, or giving them an item that is of the same or more value - other times, the customer is not so understanding so we invite them into the store to view what we have available and work from there. My most enjoyable part of the job is having the opportunity to participate in work-related activities with my co-workers and managers. This is because it helps me be more motivated to go into work and meet new people. I cannot recall a day when I have had a bad day at work, and not had any fun. We all joke around, laugh at each other, and make song parodies. My job at sobeys is a whole lot of fun, and I look forward to whats next in store for me with my future jobs and career.  less
Pros
fun work environment, friendly staff, company outings.
5 Years As A Student
CASHIER, CUSTOMER SERVICE & SALAD BAR (Former Employee) –  SobeysOctober 22, 2015
I spent five years working at the Sobeys in my hometown. To begin, I was a cashier. I cannot say that at the age of 16 I was a stellar employee, I was involved in a time consuming sport and required a lot of time off. As the years progressed though, I did commit more time to the store because of financial needs during and shortly after university.

However, I found that I was unable to move out of a student role- I was rarely given more than 15 hours per week (inconvenient shifts of sometimes just 3 hours at night). Only when I offered to work midnights during the one night a week that they needed coverage, did I get extra hours. The scheduling seemed very skewed towards providing the older ladies the most convenient shifts- ie in the mornings. When I moved about 20 minutes away from the store I was sharing a car with my spouse. I requested that I work in the mornings or in longer shifts so that I wouldn't have to ride my bicycle for 40 minutes to get to work. This request was not accommodated, I was often scheduled in the middle of the day, sometimes for just 3 hours at a time.

I seized an opportunity to move into the salad bar. The cashier's manager was openly annoyed by this and I was told by other staff that she made many upsetting comments behind my back.

The salad bar was a whole different experience. The work and coworkers were much more enjoyable. However, the position was very stressful and had high turnover. Corporate set standards that we were consistently unable to meet and we took a lot of heat from our store manager for this. Hours were continuously cut,
  more... but production was expected in increase in quantity and quality.

Since I have left, both my direct manager, a coworker, and a coworker who went on to be the next manager have all left the store and or left the salad bar.

The pay is typically minimum wage, only full time employees seem to receive any sort of benefits, but they typically don't hire full time people. I would only recommend this organization to students, or people in between jobs. There is a chance that your local store will have a great manager willing to hire full time staff and develop them, but for the most part I would call this place a dead end.
Pros
flexibility- good for students or those looking for a small amount of hours
Cons
low pay, low hours, high stress depending on dept.
Worst company experience to date!
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Evanston, CalgaryOctober 29, 2014
Not only were the duties of a cashier exhausting and mentally straining, but the company didn't back me at all when I needed them to. I started as Full-Time with no benefits, went to school and worked Part-Time until finished school then asked to be put back on Full-Time. I was only ever Part-Time so that when it came time for an old injury to come back and I ask for light duties, they don't give me anything, therefore left hourless and broke with a mountain of student loans. Because it was a new store, expectations were through the roof and people were quitting right, left and centre. It's a grocery store...as long as people are leaving satisfied and continue to come back, I'm not going to perform circus tricks and sacrifice my physical health just to get better audits and make you look better. When I was hired I was told I would be moved to customer service within 2 weeks. Did that happen...no! I was told I was an excellent cashier with one of the highest ring times in my store and reoccurring customers always likes coming through my till. Didn't matter to my boss as he already had his biases towards me so nothing would promote me. Oh and there are no benefits to working here unless your a manager, a suck-up or have no self-value. Let's just say don't ever work here unless your in high school or desperate. That's the only reason I've stayed this long is because it's really hard to find a position in the profession I graduated in.
Pros
not many except pay
Cons
the list is endless
Meat Department; Good for those looking for their first job.
Meat Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 15, 2013
A typical day a work, for me, would involve arriving at 4 o'clock. The butchers would have left me a decent mess to clean up and sanitize by that time of the day. I would then wrap up any product that was not taken care of by the butchers, display it, and store the rest. This would usually take up the majority of the shift. Not very often, a customer will request a specific product that was not on display, which I would either have to take from storage, prepare myself, or would simply have them come back when the butchers are in. (Young, starting employee's aren't to use the sharp knives and tools the butchers used.)

I learned many very basic job skills, how the flow of a grocery store works behind the scenes. I learned the importance of the individual in a workforce.

The management at the store was sub-par. We were often audited and criticized. There was somewhat of a lack of involvement from the higher-ups.

My co-workers were very kind, supportive, social, and most certainly did not make me feel as if they were a problem.

The hardest part of the job is tolerating the gore and smell typically expected of a meat department. If you can stomach it, it really isn't that much of a problem.

The most enjoyable part of the job, by chance, was the fact that many of my old colleagues happened to work there at the same time I did. It helped keep a sense of equality and workmanship that i haven't really noticed at any other job sites.
Pros
working the department alone most shifts
Cons
very sporadic, unrealiable hours.
Overall, days at Sobeys were good. I worked in my neighborhood so I knew quite a few people. I enjoyed my job.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 19, 2012
A typical day at work would be a customer complaining that they were charged too much or were not satisfied with product. Most of the time I would price adjust or try to fix the situation as best I could. Now and then I would make judement calls to satisfy the customer which then I would report to my supervisor and explain the situation and what I did.
I learned that satisfying a customer the best I can is better than watching that customer walk out the store unsatisfied and have negative thoughts about our store or company for that matter. Especially when there is competition.
Management and my co-workers were great. In my opinion we were like "new" family. I enjoyed working with them . I also keep in touch with a few of my co-workers, even my then-manager .
The hardest part of my job was calming a customer down and "make it right". Sometimes a customer would have rude remarks to say to you or about the company and you just have to let it roll off your shoulders and not take it personal.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know them. That they notice if your not working and ask for you or you laugh and carry on with them. You can engage in a comfortable and flowing conversation with them...I like that!
Pros
i lived steps away from work, we had a fun group of people who work there, i worked monday thru friday.
Cons
no benefits, was at max pay, could not go higher in the business.
productive job, but stressful
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dunnville, ONNovember 3, 2013
a typical day at work would be going by by 4:00pm and starting to slice meat for the next day for my co-workers, i would start to cut cheese to also put away for my co-workers to make subs the next day. start to flip salads and clean out the display case that held the salad. wash slicers. / on a hotfoods shift, i would come in and check the hotfoods case and see if i needed to cook any more tenders, wings, wedges, or any sort of side to go with it. along with that, cook chickens all night and make sure you had just the right amount to sell/have some left over for the next day to reuse.

hardest part of the job was guessing how many chickens to cook, how many tenders, wings and wedges to cook and what you think you might sell.. also, fill out logs, clean and make sure everything is done by 8:00pm.. on weekends, 9:00pm. we also had to take out grease, clean ovens and make sure the areas around our spot were cleaned.

management was minimal, they did not train properly, and things weren't always up to standards it seemed. it really wasn't a job i enjoyed. i learned that grocery stores weren't for me.
Pros
you get to learn how to cook, learning 24hr time, using a thermometer and learning what is proper cooking temp.
Cons
short hours for the amount of work you have to do, things weren't always easy to work around, ended staying late often, not always praised for the work i did.
Enjoyable place to work, wonderful people
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 13, 2014
As a Office Clerk, I spent my time both counting/balancing floats/safes, assisting cashiers, and being on cash myself. It was a face paced environment with plenty of room to show initiative and personality. Here I learned the ins and outs of customer service and how to make a stressful day enjoyable with my co-workers and customers alike. Sobeys hires everybody so you get to know a lot of different kinds of people and that in itself is wonderful. The job was fairly easy once you got the hang of it, the hardest part being to remember the names of the large variety of fruits and vegetables as we sell many foreign foods as well as a lot of similar looking apples, pears, etc. Getting to know my co-workers was very important to me, we laughed with each other, complained together, and became a Sobeys family. I made many friends here and will never forget how great it was to work there. What I disliked about Sobeys was how often management was changed around. I do not think it is normal to have had about 10 different store managers in 7 years, even customers complained about how often the store was rearranged or how the upkeep in some departments fluctuated rapidly.
Pros
events and promotions, free holiday lunches, wage increase every 700 hours
Cons
standing for 8 hours
bowling
cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 28, 2014
When you first start your shift everyone greets you and feel very great about yourself and your work ethic, ("at customer service disk". this is a very good thing) But most of the time you will always find co-workers doing nothing hanging around customer service or standing around doing nothing like red line or using cellphone to text don't get me wrong even at customer service desk they text as well. The tells are never cleaned and the garbages are always overfull. the stoke is very poor sometimes you can never find what you are looking for one minute they have it and another they don't.
About your co-worker they have a lot of very young co-workers in this industry that they do not know what they are doing or want to do nothing except for what they know best is texting or wishing they can be with their friends, and a young customer service gal well she thinks that she knows it all but we all know that she doesn't, and to young to sell lotto it does not matter how long you work for the company she can not be at customer service desk selling cigarettes or looto intel she is 19 years of age you massell hire a children.
We dont have any problems with any managers may be one or two but that normal for this industry.
benefits, oh they have benefits you have 5 or 6 month to call in. If don't you have to wait til next year. the most enjoyable part is jest standing there doing nothing at the til's looking bored as hell and not doing any thing that is my most enjoyable things ;) haahaaaah!
Dramatic departments where peopple talk about education
Deli/Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 4, 2015
Coming to work in Deli, usually doesn't give an opportunity to be productive because there isn't too many things to do. I only slice meats for customers for five hours but its rare to see a lot customers show up at once during those five hour period. But in Kitchen, you get the chance to be more productive. Its either that other staff give me a specific job to do or I do something until the time comes to start closing the kitchen down for a night.
In deli department I actually get to know olives and different sorts of meats that we serve. But in kitchen I actually get be more productive and use almost all my knowledge from kitchen department to do my job. Deli department only gives you an opportunity to learn the theories but you don't get the opportunity of putting the theories into reality like in Kitchen.
We do have shrink, rewrap, and bad label storages where we leave them for my manger to scan. We do shrink out products on the date before the best before date to keep products fresh.
Most co-workers use drama to communicate. It either overly complicates the situation or it forcibly requires the co-worker to be slower on what they do.
The hardest job is the most enjoyable because it allows me to always learn new things. One of those jobs is closing the Kitchen down. Every time I close the kitchen down, either being clean or dirty on that day I always find something new to clean and learn how to properly use the machine.
Productive and fun workplace with great people
BAKERY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSJune 3, 2013
I packaged freshly baked goods and labeled them and stocked them on the shelves. I floor sheet was looked after every hour and must have been maintained because managers had checked it. Had to deal with unhappy and happy customers on a regular basis. Removed expired goods from the shelves. Generally worked alone, but communicated with other departments and night shift managers and trained other employes to work in the bakery. Items had to be removed from the freezer and put on the shelf for the next morning and amount of product choose to be displayed was by me viewing the shelves. Also every item had to be inputed in the system to know how much had to be made for the following day. Made sure that the department was always displayed well. Had to have a thorough clean every night. I learned how to work at a fast pace and get everything done to the standard need with the time given. The hardest part was the amount of work that had to be done for the morning shift and the short time given to complete all the tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to meet new people and talk to co-workers when I had time. Everyone including the managers were very kind and very understanding and I got along with everyone quite well and never had any problems with management or co-workers.
Pros
was able to eat some of the freshly baked good and was allowed to try new items.
Cons
very fast paced and a lot of stuff to do in a short time period
Best company I have worked for, I leaned alot.
Cash Office Clerk and Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rymal Rd, Ancaster, and BurlingtonOctober 25, 2013
I have worked for Sobeys for 7 years now, in 3 different stores. I have learned much knowledge about the grocery store business and the inner workings of a large company. I have been taught by the best managers and continue to learn every day. I have gained more experience with the management/ supervisor role and have also learned to better listen to people and know what they are trying to communicate. A typical day at work starts at 7am when I start in the cash office, balancing the office, counting back the cash trays and doing up the deposits for Brinks. I am also responsible for doing the sales and cash report which closes off the previous day, balancing refunds and returns and balancing safe. Once I am done in the office, I spend the rest of my day on cash serving customers and doing customer service, My coworkers are a lot of fun, we have some good laughs at work in between helping customers. Some days the hardest part of my job is standing at the cash register for 8 or more hours. The most enjoyable part is helping our customers find the items they cant find, customer service and cashing them out so they can go on and enjoy their day. And just being with my friends at work!
Pros
learning some new every day
Cons
standing at the register when there aren't enough customers to keep busy
Enjoyable environment to work in, team effort, fun co-workers
CUSTOMER SERVICE CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Angus, ONApril 4, 2014
-I've cross trained to be a supervisor, cashier and a courtesy clerk.
-A regular shift at work depends on where I am placed on the floor as a cashier. If I'm on a regular till then I scan items for customers and bag them as well. On the courtesy desk I deal with lottery and tobacco products on top of scanning the regular grocery items. When I am a supervisor I am balancing tills and counting the safe in the office; I am also taking the cashiers that are in for the night off for their breaks. Any day I am in I am cleaning the department.
-On cash I am constantly learning new codes for bakery and produce products as well as new things for my supervisor position.
-The management of the store are nice people to work with and are hard on us to ensure that the store is clean and appealing to customers.
-My co-workers are fun and unique individuals who make each shift I work a memorable one.
-Dealing with long lines and impatient or difficult customers
-Knowing that I am the go to person for any codes that the other cashiers don't know and talking to my regular customers that I see every time I'm in.
Pros
opportunities to move up in the company, free samples
Cons
broken equipment, co-workers who don't do what they're told
Great learning experience
Supervisor/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Chestermere, ABFebruary 12, 2015
A typical day at work would be either opening the store in the morning or coming in for the late shift and closing the store (filling out paperwork, handling the safe, balancing the tills, making sure the store was clean, making sure the products were faced), receiving large liquor and beer orders, placing the merchandise in its appropriate place, taking customers at the cash, managing overstock, taking product inventory.

I learned how to perform a lot of managerial tasks as I was entrusted with a lot of responsibilities.

My co-workers and I differed from each other on a personal level, but we didn't let that impede our work. We got along great and always got the job done!

Not the hardest, but the most tedious part of the job had to be having to take inventory of hundreds of selections of alcohol, wine, coolers, single beers, and craft beers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers find the perfect bottle of wine, or introducing them to a new drink recipe or new beer. Customer satisfaction was the most important part of the job for me.
Pros
learning a lot, being entrusted with a lot of responsibilities, frequent interaction with the customers
Cons
scheduling, poor management
I give it a 3 star
asst.bakery manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJuly 10, 2012
I loved my job but I found alot of employee's as the year's went by are not happy any more.They are losing alot of long time people, they don't care about employee's anymore it's all about themselves.You just get sick of being used and abused.They expect work done with hardly any employee's if they can do it you get tired after all though's years.I enjoy being busy,don't like to be bored or standing around ,i like hands on. My co-workers were great I miss them and was told they really miss me. We all worked well together and enjoyed each other..The most enjoyable part of my work was employee's and customers.I learned that I can get respect of my employee,s and also run a bakery with eye's closed.They just don't respect thier employee's your just a number! Having to hands is not enought employees anymore the last 5years they want you to have at less 4. I need a job now that I can enjoy and be treated fair.They just don't care about their long time and their real workers!
Pros
is their pay and insurance.
Cons
the lack of long term employees hard work.no respect.
An environment that helps one grow in experience and skills.
Front End Supervisor/Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 12, 2014
Sobeys was my first job and I have grown and learned each day that for the four years I have been there. The people are almost like family, everyone looks out for each other and everyone is very supportive. I worked hard to get to the position of being an Office Clerk/Front End Supervisor. I love working in the office and with people. You grow closer to regular customers and learn more about your fellow employees. My favourite part of everything I do would be managing the floor. You manage your staff and their breaks as well as deal with problems on the registers or with the customers. Any inquiries come to youu. I love the multitasking and interaction aspect of being on the floor. The most difficult part of the job can be balancing the office at the end of my shifts. If a register or a safe or even a bank bundle does not balance, it is my job to find the problem and fix it before my shift is finished. I feel a bit pressured but I love the challenge.
Busy and up-beat
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 5, 2013
Working at Sobeys was a wonderful expierence. I managed to learn new things about cashing out my till and learned many problem solving skills as well as decision making. I spent most of my day cleaning my work area and offering to help in other departments. When I had customers to check-out I enjoyed various subjects for small talks. I increased my customer service skills and communication. I worked with many people with accents and disabilities. I also worked with many elderly people and would often walk them to their car with their grocerys. The most difficult part of this job was repatitive movements. I made many friends with my co-workers and even a few supervisors. My bosses were great and very understanding if I needed to switch a shift or pick up extra hours. The thing I enjoyed most about my job there was spending time with people from the community and my 'regulars'. I just loved providing individualized customer service.
Pros
employee discount days, flexible hours, up-beat enviroment
Cons
extremely busy, location
Very productive place to work with great staff members whom I would later in life call Family.
Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABNovember 4, 2012
A typical day at work was very hectic (Which I loved) ..always something to do. I learned so much about food, and found it very easy to pass my information on to my staff. They were very receptive and understood, which made me feel better about my teaching and supervisory skills.This went on for at least 15 yrs. The hardest part of my job was ( at the end) my "Store Manager", (a new manager to Sobeys) came into our store and from that time on till a year later taunted and degraded me in front of other staff members and I couldn't handle it any more, so I quit after 17 years in the Grocery business. I miss working in grocery, I still, after 7 yrs. think of how working there was the best thing I ever did, and miss it very much. I loved all my staff and customers, educating, helping and giving them a product that I trusted very much...
Pros
the pay was great, staff, fellow co-workers...great food standards
Cons
don't have my job anymore !!!
Average job, good hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJune 10, 2015
Sobeys is a good place to work if you are looking for flexible hours. I am currently in university, and during the school year I can only work around 2 shifts per week. When i am not in school however, I usually can work 4-5 shifts, and Sobeys is very great in the fact that they can easily adapt to my changing school schedule. My co-worker are for the most part friendly and easy to talk to. There is however a few issues with the supervisors and managers. They often do not effectively communicate important information to the rest of the staff. Some people may know what is going on in the store, but others will not. For every 500 hours you work at sobeys you get a small raise. Sobeys is also fairly flexible if you want to work in a different department or want to grow within the company.
Pros
good hours, good co-workers
Cons
communication is not the best between management and staff, breaks are not long enough as we are only given a 15 minute break for working a 6 hour shift.