Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Positive but Disorganized
Sales Associate (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONMay 18, 2016
Pros: Good environment, nice customers, fun job, tasty samples.
Cons: Not enough hours, disorganized, "fend for yourself" atmosphere.
I started working part-time in the bakery shortly after I began my first semester at college. After baking for Tim Hortons for nearly three years prior to this job, it seemed like a vacation getaway in comparison. 30 minutes for lunch? Not having to strategically plan out bathroom breaks? It was like a dream come true.

Alas, all shops have their problems and Sobeys is no exception. I'm very fortunate to be a quick learner, and someone who is confident in my decisions. My training was very brief and unfortunately I had to make a lot of educated guesses as to how things should be done when I was working by myself. After being there for over a year, I'm 100% comfortable with any task I should happen to carry out, but the first couple of months were interesting. I see this trend continue as I train new employees, and have taken it upon myself to type up instructions or reminders to make the process of closing easier for the poor 16 year-olds who have only had 3 training shifts (closers work alone.)

Selling specialty items is my favourite part of this job, especially helping customers order their ideal cakes and desserts based on the occasion. It allows me to talk to the customer, offering them ideas and explaining what we're able to do for them in terms of custom desserts; it's quite fun, really. I've asked to be trained on actual cake decorating many times, but for now I just write on birthday cakes when requested.

The job as a whole is physically demanding but nothing I can't handle. I feel accomplished at the end of the day, knowing I've put in the effort and I've – more... left the department in better shape than I found it. My biggest criticism would be that the bakery is the only department in our store that leaves a single person to close shop every night. If it's busy and customers are approaching me often, then there's simply no chance of leaving when I'm scheduled to. I often cannot take my breaks and stay 30 minutes - 1 hour late in an attempt to get everything done.

Tensions are high in the bakery due to the shortage of hours....Sobeys likes to hire many people and give them 12 hrs/week instead of a couple full-time employees. This makes consistency nearly impossible and honestly, it's frustrating that the company is willing to do this instead of just giving their long-time workers enough hours to earn a living because they're too cheap to give us benefits. I need another part-time job (or completely different full-time job) just to pay the rent.

Overall it's not a bad job at all. My co-workers are really positive and friendly, and I feel safe within my workplace. – less
Friendly people makes an enjoyable place to work
HMR hot foods (Current Employee), London, ONMay 18, 2016
Pros: Always something to do.
Cons: Haven't discovered the cons yet.
I find working in the HMR department to be a good place to work. The staff is friendly and I have learned so much. I know how to make all the hot foods in the Home Meal Replacement, from the chickens to the wedges, tenders, wings and sides. The manager in HMR is a very nice person and open to suggestions. For me the hardest part of the job is remembering all the codes and different things to cook, but I think I have it almost done pat. I find serving the customers my most enjoyable part of the job.
Overall a good place to work.
Intermediate Business Technologist (Former Employee), Saanichton, BCMay 17, 2016
Pros: Great team environment
Cons: Lack of leadership from execuative
Working with Sobeys was mostly a positive experience. In the beginning there were lots of opportunities to further personal development, but as time went on those opportunities became less and less. The environment provided a great team experience as well as excellent direct supervision. I learned a lot from my team members and supervisors.
easy job
Admin/ Seafood clerk (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSMay 16, 2016
dealing with customer everyday makes the job exciting, make a customer happy brings great joy. Some manager are easier than other to work for and co workers make it fun place to be
Experience at Sobey
Bakery (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONMay 16, 2016
Pros: Free Food
Cons: No hours
My experience at Sobeys wasn't that good. I didn't get a lot of hours, wasn't a very nice environment to be around. I did learn a lot like how to deal with difficult situations, how to close...etc. My co-workers were all rude and would talk behind everyone's back. The hardest part of my job would've been trying to make donuts perfect. And, the most enjoyable was working with cakes and lots of nice costumers.
Very repetitive and hard on the body
Front end cashier (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEMay 11, 2016
Pros: Sometimes free samples
Cons: Hard on the body from the repetitiveness, hard work with minimum pay and no benefits
I worked as a front end cashier at Sobeys. A regular work day consisted of constant customer service. Helping customers find products if they are having trouble, making them aware of sales in the store, returning products to their appropriate place in the store. Emptying garbage, keeping my work area clean and tidy, dealing with money, rain cheques, gift cards, etc. I helped out in the grocery department with stocking shelves and I also helped out at the courtesy desk periodically.
Corporate Great, Franchise Bad
Clerk (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABMay 11, 2016
Pros: Corporate ownership
Cons: Franchising, Micromanaging
Sobeys was a fantastic place to work and shop, as many customers were happy to tell but went downhill with franchising .
Coworkers were fantastic, management became frazzled trying to please the owners. The repeat customers were wonderful and validating where ownership lacked.
Fun, fast paced environment, well managed
Front End Clerk (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSMay 9, 2016
Sobeys Inc. has been a very enjoyable work place. A typical day at work requires me to be on the floor 10 minutes before my scheduled time to be sure that I'm prepared for my day. I must have a pen and a clean work station as well as to be dressed appropriately. I serve countless people in the run of a day(which is typically between 6 and 8 hours). I have learned many techniques for problem solving. My management makes sure that we have monthly meetings to discuss progress and problems and to make sure we are all on the same page and come up with solutions. My co-workers and I all get along wonderfully and we always try to help one another when need be. It is an amazing work environment to be in. The hardest part of my job is most definitely trying to cope with the elderly customers we get who are beginning to suffer from dementia. It hurts to watch them struggle to remember their bank information. The most enjoyable would probably be the general contact I have with the public. I very much so enjoy polite conversation.
Ok
Produce Clerk, Cashier, Courtesy Staff, Janitor (Current Employee), North Bay, ONMay 9, 2016
I am over it and need something that is engaging and not boring or pays better. That's it, That's all, had fun and need to move on now.
Team Lead
Team Lead (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
Awesome place to work. Provided help and customer service. Managed team of 10 to complete renovations. GReat place to work. Amazing people to work with.
amazing company, workers who care, opportunities to try new food
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Oromocto, NBMay 9, 2016
Pros: taste testing on new products.
Cons: standing in one position for a long period of time.
You are always trying new food, learning about the job, how to deal with a returned item, seeing regular customers and being able to make customers happy to try new food.
It was a blast!
CASHIER/ CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 6, 2016
Busy hours like lunch time and dinner time will drain you out but if you enjoy talking and getting to know your customers, it can be a great experience and it makes the time go by fast. Scheduling is always two weeks ahead so make sure that when you book off, book off as early as you can. Changes in management during my time there made policies and routines all messed up but it worked out well and is still in the process of stability.
Great Work Place
Cashier and Selfserve Operator (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 6, 2016
Pros: Great Coworkers, very accepting of time off when needed
Cons: management is not fair
I very much enjoy this job, however the management can be very unfair and favorable. After months of asking I have seen other people being trained on the position I have wanted and have not been told a reason as to why I cannot be trained. My days are usually very enjoyable, even when there is a problem with a customer my supervisors are always there to help me if I need it. My coworkers are great, they are pretty much my second family outside of the work place. They are also very helpful whenever I need them at work. The most enjoyable part of this job is helping customers. Overall for a part time job, it has been very great!
Clean friendly environment
Seafood Clerk (Current Employee), Burlington, ONMay 5, 2016
Sobeys is an excellent company to work for part time. The management is fantastic and the work environment is very pleasing.
Professional environment that requires the ability to work independently
Produce Worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 4, 2016
Pros: Work procedures are relatively easy to learn
Cons: Long hours, which may interfere with schoolwork during the school year
Typically, shifts varies between 6 to 8.5 hours long. During this time, the main responsibility consists of the restocking of fruits and vegetables (as well as other products such as salad dressings, juice, etc.) at the front as required. Additionally, the cleanliness of the front must also be maintained, which requires an hourly check for debris on the floor, and (if needed) sweeping. Additionally, around 7:00 p.m., certain vegetables must be trimmed (as to prepare the vegetable for stocking tomorrow). These vegetables mainly include lettuce and celery. Lastly, for evening shifts, the produce worker is responsible for closing. This includes the retrieval of the vegetables at the to the storage cooler, and the cleaning of the storage cooler and the kitchen area.
In general, the work is enjoyable. Since the work often demands the employee to work independently, a strong sense of accomplishment is derived from successfully managing the produce section of the store.
sobeys
GROCERY CLEARK (Current Employee), Bradford West Gwillimbury, ONMay 4, 2016
well working at Sobeys was your classic grocery store where I would stock shelves and receives trucks. But like all part time jobs its not a real job and i would like to find something in the electrical field
Inconsistent work load and lack of motivation
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 2, 2016
As a part-timer, I had all the responsibilities of a full-time employee and was rarely given acknowledgement for my work that is required to motivate an employee to perform to the best of their abilities. Though my direct manager was a positive point of my employment, upper management had a negative attitude to the overall work atmosphere
Fun place to work with great employees
Sobeys Meat Clerk (Current Employee), Windsor, ONMay 1, 2016
Cons: No employee discount.
Great store to work especially if you are trying to build customer service experience. Hardest part is fitting time to do all your tasks because some days are busier than others.
Good first time job
DELI CLERK (Current Employee), Brighton, ONApril 29, 2016
Pros: Easy hours
Cons: Low pay
Easy first job for students, pays minimum wage, good hours generally depending on skills, some poor management in certain sections
Fantastic Workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBApril 29, 2016
Pros: student friendly
Cons: n/a
Sobeys is a great employer, there are very friendly staff and kind customers. I personally gained valuable costumer service skills. The work is not overly demanding, and the company is always trying to develop new ways to provide good service and benefit employees.