Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,125 reviews matching the search
Started out working for IGA as a student when I was 13. Worked my way up to become a meat Manager by the time I was 19.
Meat manager (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON3 January 2017
Great and fun place to work, met lots of great staff and customers over the years,

Great culture
Very friendly management
Great corporate structure
Lots of opportunities
Very good benefits
Well managed policy's and procedure

Team building
Coaching and leadership training
good place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
i really enjoyed working here while i was in high school! they were very good with scheduling me around my school and they really support people getting there education. everyone in my department got along really well and it was always fun! management is also really good! the store manager i had was really involved and actually got to know everyone who worked in the store and was always there to help when needed. the pay isn't that great and you don't get a raise very often but overall i really enjoyed working here
Pros
ALWAYS samples in lunch room, nice staff
Structured work place allowing a chance to move up, lacked proper training, and did very little to maintain employees.
Assistant Manager, Seafood Department (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 January 2017
Emphasized on chances to move up, lacked proper training, management rotation not advanced to its full potential, typically worked alone during the day as the department was small, the culture was very strict, making hard to work with positive energy, hardest part of the job would be to have a unskilled supervisor, most enjoyable part of the job, i got to work alone.
Good work place
full-time baker (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS29 January 2017
Sobeys can be a great place to work with competitive wages and good benefits. I learned a lot there about management, baking, seafood. For the most part the culture is everyone works as a team.
Good job until they gave me more hours then I asked for
Shelf Stocker, Customer Service and Inventory (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB6 February 2017
I had a great time working there the management was decent and treated me well, until they started giving me more hours then I asked for which became too much to balance between school and work.
Pros
Sometimes we would get free lunch or breakfast
Good people, Hard work, Bad managment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON5 September 2016
A typical day at work at Sobeys would be. Arrive and punch in, go to my department and check for a list that my manager would have left for me. Often times my manager wouldn't leave me anything. We'd fill up the floor and then receive the order for the day. then we would clean till the end of our shifts. On this job I learned Tricks on how to make vegetables look fresher. The management sucked. My manager was a never around and never pushed us to work harder. The store manager was mean person he was never satisfied he'd tell us to work on something that didn't need working on and then yell at us for letting other stuff go down. My co-workers were really good people i had a very good time getting to know them. The hardest part was unloading big orders, our cooler was pretty small and our orders were generally big so it made unloading pretty difficult and stressful. The most enjoyable part was getting to know everyone they were good people i still keep in touch with even though I don't work there anymore.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks
Cons
Early 6am shifts
fast pace, great staff
Marketing Coordinator - Retail Marketing (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 February 2017
exciting place to work, pushes you to work hard and be your best.I enjoyed the staff and meeting the clients. great amenities for the staff to enjoy. they have a gym and great cafeteria food options.
Pros
affordable cafeteria for staff
Cons
management can be difficult to deal with
productive workplace
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and Regina, SK2 September 2016
I enjoyed working at Sobeys in Calgary. I was there almost 2 years. I did not approve of some of the management whose behaviour was questionable.
When I would raise that concern with them, I felt that my voice was never being heard.
Pros
pleasant coworkers and customers
Cons
management could have used more professionalism
I had fun working there, it was a positive experience.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2017
I had only worked 8 months but in that time I made many friends there. I was trained by just about everybody there everyday to be a better employee. The job was fun and there was always something that needed to be done which kept me busy and helped pass the time for my shifts.
The patrons weren't very polite and would often harass employees by slamming their carts into the cashier stands,and or insulting them But that was about the only bad thing about working there, although that was due to the location of the building. management was reasonable, schedules were reasonable, shift hours were reasonable, i didn't have much to complain about. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Nice staff, excellent training, reasonable hours and scheduling.
Cons
bad patrons and location.
Simple and enjoyable work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON21 December 2016
Sobeys has employee benefits for those who qualify, along with pay increase ever 700 hours worked. Management is reliable and friendly. Work environment is well balanced and cheerful.
Pros
Flexible availability.
Cons
Lack of full time positions outside of management
happy environment lots of good workers
Forklift and Dock Stocker Operator (Current Employee) –  Milton distribution centre27 January 2017
I started each day with a checklist for each machine operated by me throughout the day then i stretch for a few minutes,after i sign in my orders and begin my assignments.take my regular breaks and back to work until time to go home. I learned how to operate forklift high reach,Dock stocker,center rider and end riders also I did CPR and FIRST AID courses.learn about WHIMS. Management is good as long as you do your work you have no problem and I had a very good relationship with my supervisors and managers.We have a social committee and mostly everyone participated in group tours with our Friends at work and family at home.the hardest part of the job is to meet dead lines on a monthly basis but we always accomplished our dead lines.the most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers which seems like a family because we all helped each other and work as a team almost sixteen years together.
Great manager/bad management
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, NS24 November 2016
I really loved my department and managers of the department however the greater management of the business was fairly absent, although did show interest if % were low or complaints arose.
Pros
great customers, training provided, great of students, flexible with hours
Cons
low rate of pay, benefits not great
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2017
A typical day at work involves data analysis, building/maintaining data and excel templates, responding to ad hoc queries and involvement in process improvement activities. I have added a new business intelligence tool to my portfolio of data analysis software. Management is flexible and approachable whilst constantly encouraging staff to use initiatives to solve problems. My co workers are fantastic team players. The hardest part of the job is predicting economic impacts on the financials.
The most enjoyable part is resolving queries / exceeding customer expectations and receiving recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
late hours
No place for career.
Retail Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  HRM,NS15 February 2017
I trained to be a Butcher/Meat Cutter at Sobeys eventually working in most of their stores in HRM throughout a almost nine year career.
I cant call it a career because they never paid me more than 9.50 per hour or hired me full time but I was good enough to work in most of theirs within HRM and outskirts?

I quit working for Sobeys when less experienced boys were hired full time over me with less training and experience, at Sobeys its more important who you know rather than being a dedicated hard working employee.

Be smart stay in school and get a real career!
Pros
It was great at first, but when you cant pay your bills...
Cons
No money, under paid
Deli Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 November 2016
I enjoyed my time working at Sobeys, along with most of the staff I worked with. However, the manager of the department I was in preferred to play favorites and only those who were friends with her received special treatment, such as all time off requests, advancements, bonuses, etc.
Pros
Enjoyed the work I did
Cons
Management attitude
Fast pace, labour intensive environment with hard working colleagues.
Deli Clerk (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
If you are looking for new challenges and opportunities everyday in a labour intensive environment while working within team settings Sobeys is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers, wonderful HR staff & store managers
Cons
Maximum of 32 hours for part-time staff, very limited pay raises, no employee discount
Deli Manager, produce mgr, FE mgr, admn mgr (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS24 November 2016
I worked for this company for ovet 37 years and truly believe it is one of the best ompanies to work for. They care about their employers, there is lots of room for advancement, and they have great benefits .
Team environment, highly engaging
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 April 2016
I worked at Sobeys as a cashier assistant. I learned how to operate a cashier. Since this was my first retail job, I also learned how to interact with customers. The workers at Sobeys were very engaging and helpful towards each other. The co-workers that had been working there for longer would gladly help a new and learning worker out if he/she encountered an issue. The management at Sobeys was also very good. It kept workers in each department focused and working as a team at all times. The hardest part of this job was training myself to become efficient as possible in using the cashier from the day that I started work. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was interacting with all the customers, exchanging positive words and a smile felt good.
Pros
Career advancement opportunities
Cons
Very stressful environment and you are expected to do more work for less pay that is overloaded and barring.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 November 2016
Sobeys is a terrible company to work for as they are always looking to pinch their employees so they can save money. The workloads are very over-bearing and it does not support a very good team environment. Ungarunteed hours and most of your hard work goes unrecognized. I was also "let go" while on maternity leave, which is not legal. I never felt appreciated and there were no benefits, or incentive to take on the duties in which I was expected to do.
Pros
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Cons
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
It was OK.
frontend service clerk (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL1 January 2017
It over all would end up to be ok. The place I worked had a bit of a boss that was extreme to be precise and the job i had was demanding at best. Being that i had to handle everything on the outside of the building right down to the gravel on the parking lot then getting scolded for not being able to make up for others not doing their share was rough and trying not to get sick for being around everyone in the area as well as bad weather but it was work. so all in all it was ok.
Pros
Decent pay for full time.
Cons
no positive reinforcement from management and barely enough hours to make quota.