Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

Just a typical minimum wage job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 22, 2016
The overall work was ok, but the store managers were inadequate with their people skills. They treat their employees with no respect and value. But taking them aside, the overall experience was great.
unorganized
Deli customer service (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONAugust 17, 2016
Manager was never around when needed, procedures would change all the time with out being notified. Other employees would wander around.
Great learning experience
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Paris, ONAugust 16, 2016
As Sobeys being my first form of employment, I was not only shown basic cash and customer service skills but gained knowledge on working for a large company and the positions within. With food safety being the main priority I was taught extensive cleaning and safety measures. I have had the pleasure of serving small town clientele that are usually a lot more amicable and courteous which results in an overall pleasant work experience.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Limited room for growth
Productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, ABAugust 16, 2016
A typical day at work was standing around, ringing peoples groceries through. I learned some important social skills and how to multitask more easily. Management was friendly and taught me well. I got along with most of my coworkers. The hardest part of the job was probably when the sore was bus and I either ran out of bags or the computer froze. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiling, satisfied customer leaving the store.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONAugust 14, 2016
cashier

i would scan items in order for people to pay for them and handle cash at various times throughout my shift. When there was a break in a rush we would have to clean our areas and invite people to come to our checkout.

The co workers were nice and fun to work with, but the managers were tolerable and i listened to them every time they gave orders, they were just not nice at many times
Pros
good work environment
Cons
I have worked here for many years and I enjoy the job.
Office Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 14, 2016
This job has helped me to grow as a person. I started this job at a very young age and it has helped me to develop customer service skills. This job has also helped me to become the reliable hard working person I am today.
Pros
flexible work place.
Cons
hard work place to move up in.
Fast Work Fun , Something You can take enjoyment out of working.
Forklift Operator Wear House (Former Employee) –  Debert, NSAugust 9, 2016
Building Pallets and driving the fork lift or pallets jacks , you had to pick count on a week base overall count from your five days of picking pallets for stores. Management Was pretty good overall other then head office which didnt really see the work that was being done and how well. The Hardest part of the job was trying to push your own numbers trying to show that you can pick the best numbers in the plant.
Pros
Bounces if trucks were done on time or early
Cons
If people were slacking and bring down every ones numbers
Worked the front end in a busy location, with a high stress on customer service.
Inventory, and CAO for Front (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2016
I started off as a part time cashier for the front end. I was responsible for handling cash and delivering excellent customer service. I was then asked to work in the grocery department as well, doing CAO and inventory as well as working the floor.
productive and fun place to work
Bakery Clerk, Cake decorator (Former Employee) –  Truro, NSAugust 5, 2016
a day spent decorating cakes and pastries for customers and for service case. very customer focused..great co workers..most enjoyable
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
not enough hours
A good place to work...
Coordinator, Lease Administration (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 3, 2016
There is no training involved with working at Sobeys. You are thrown into the position with no knowledge of what is expected.
Productive and funwork place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 2, 2016
Sobeys is a good place to work and I enjoy a lot while working there. Management is really very productive and active. Other staffs are also dedicated.
Aspiring and Fun stepping stone
Produce, Salad Girl (Former Employee) –  New Hamburg, ONAugust 1, 2016
I did not work much since i was a young high school student focusing on my grades. I would come in bright and early, do some data sheets, and begin chopping fruits and vegetables for the salads in produce. Not only did i chop fruits and salads, i made a variety of different healthy snacks, such as: Lunch packs, taco dip's, broccoli casserole, and prepared stir fry vegetables mixes. The work was time sensitive causing me to work fast and create a quick day. I took an hour for lunch. The hardest part of the job would have been keeping up with the busy pace of the customers enjoying my products; once a product purchased it needed to be replaced by myself. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been to learn so many different healthy alternative ways to eat.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
management
Hectic Workplace
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  80 St. Clair Avenue EastJuly 30, 2016
A typical day at work in my life involves the following tasks at present, they are: throwing out the garbage, washing dishes and attending to customers. Initially I was also spicing chickens and making sandwiches for the following week. However; I had decided to take on less hours, due to the fact that I wanted to study and minimize the amount of stress.
People in management overall are quite nice, and from what I have learned through my short time there is: Grocery stores tend to be really stressful places for the ones who work there and keeping a positive attitude is key to making things work for yourself. The two most difficult parts of the job are: slicing "fancy meats", an example of which is Proscuitto, (especially when it has just been opened from its packaging; considering that the fat portion has to be sliced of, before the slicing of the meat can begin) and spicing chickens. Lastly with regard to my co-workers they are good individuals, and their company sometimes helps to lighten my mood when tough situations are encountered at work.
Pros
Free time to do other things
Cons
too far
fun place to work
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Edson, ABJuly 28, 2016
great place to work, willing to work with staff for the hours and days off, worked as a team. Everyone was enjoyable the ambiance was great to work in worked hard and yet still had the time to have fun as we worked.
Pros
ambiance is great
Cons
no advancement or raises
Coworkers are great
EUC (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 28, 2016
They keep hyping the 5E's

Effective
Efficient
Engage and so on however management doesn't even follow it, IT Director rules by threat of out sourcing
Sobeys is a good place to work
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Simcoe, ONJuly 27, 2016
I work in the deli and love my manager/coworkers. Everyone is pleasant to work with just wish more hours were available.
Pros
Nice manager, decent hours
Courtesy Clerk
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 27, 2016
OI enjoy the work here, and most of the time the managers are more then welcome to accommodate to my personal schedule to get me shifts that work with my time.
Pros
Freedom to move about the store
Cons
No a high paying job, not many shifts
The best working place ever .
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 26, 2016
It is a good place for work. It also helps to improve the speaking skills. Give the knowledge about the customers and their new demands.
Pros
FREE LUNCH
Cons
NOTHING
Enjoyable work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2016
I have learned a lot from interacting with so many people during my shift. It was a very fun experience working with Sobeys. My co-workers were very supportive and fun of working with.
Pros
interact with people
Cons
basic salary
work atmosphere was good. got along with other employees
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJuly 24, 2016
Environment was upbeat, co-workers were easy to get along with.
restocking produce was a new challenge and I enjoyed it. I learned how to tell the difference with fruits and veggies.
Pros
learning about fruits and veggies
Cons
wage too low