Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,367 reviews matching the search
Not Organized
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 August 2017
A typical day a work is boring I have no customers for at least an hour. The management needs to wake up they switch my shifts on me and don't tell me complain about a lot of things. They are new management so they get lost about things. The hardest part of the job is trying to juggle cashing someone out plus having your manager right behind you asking questions. The most enjoyable part is the company is the coworkers I can trust.
Pros
some nice customers and coworkers
Cons
bullies, and lack of communication
Very good company too work for....
Night Crew Chief-Grocery (Current Employee) –  Kincardine, ON22 August 2017
If you enjoy working around the a busy schedule and helping customers your in the right job. It is a very busy environment, and your day or night goes by very fast when you are having fun.
Productive work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2017
Helpful training, learned how to deal with customers and how to find a solution to problems. Nice work environment, nice co-workers. Being able to help customers find what they were looking for.
Pros
calm environment
Cons
nothing
Fast paced and challenging company to work for.. Overall a decent place to work.
Cashier / Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NB18 August 2017
Working for Sobeys can be challenging and also rewarding.. It is a faced paced environment serving the public and working hard to accomplish the days production..
Happy to be employed here
Customer Service Representative/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 August 2017
I enjoy working along a great team . The management team go above and beyond for their employees and customers. I am proud to say that I was given ample opportunities for advancement within the last year.
Also a great place to shop as a customer myself.
Pros
Community room coordinator always cheery, provides the cooking classes and prepares and cook our occasional meals !
Cons
woould benefit from longer breaks, still unable to avail of insurance program
Decent pay but not worth it
Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 August 2017
Overly strict, constantly being audited creating stressful atmosphere with unrealistic expectations, and employees are constantly on edge and uptight. Strange policies such as front end employees not being allowed to have water at their work station unless they have a doctor's note. Not permitted to wear long shorts/capri-style pants in hot summer weather for "food safety reasons". All critical, no constructive criticism. Not flexible with shift changes, especially if it is last minute and it doesn't always matter if it is for a legitimate reason (family visit, etc). Generally felt accused when being spoken to by higher-ups or when they ask a question.

Overall: did not feel valued as a person or an employee. Not worth the money by any means.
Pros
Free food in staff room, decent pay
Cons
Literally everything else
okay
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS14 August 2017
I have learned how to use CAO, and what it takes to be in a big team, but it was hard trying to fit in where everyone worked together for more then 10 years. I loved the customer service aspect of working at sobers, and meeting new people.
A very simple paced job
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2017
This job is rather simple. I come in knowing what I need to do and usually repeat this process every shift. There are other minor tasks that I may need to do but are not that intense. We are, however, limited to only one person in the department so I am usually working alone for most of my shift. Meaning I'm in charge of serving customers whilst maintaining a clean department on my own.

Because of minimal employees within are area, someone fro another department will have to cover my side while I'm on break. Sometimes, however, if there is no one to help we must cut short our breaks to assist customers.

overall the experience could be much better and there could be more benefits.
Pros
Employee Apprication lunches on certain occasions
Cons
hour management has been rather poor
Typical job with great people!
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 August 2017
I was just a deli clerk for about a year, and the time i spent at Sobeys was worth it. The people, job culture and work load were all the great pros of the company. However, the company still included pros such as the lack of productiveness in management and the ability to give a great number of hours for part time workers. As well, The job was less of actually doing the job and getting tasks finished, and more of connecting with customers and learning about different products.In conclusion, Sobeys has a very high CSR(corporate social responsiblity) and I sorta recommend working there.
Pros
Balanced Lunches, Experience and People.
Cons
No hours and Poor Management.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 August 2017
Sobeys is a fun place, usually very busy which helps the time go by. The customers and employees are usally very friendly and nice to talk to. The environment is very productive, and the management team is very easy to talk to.
fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 August 2017
fun not enough hours,clean environment, good training staff, hours of store were too late for me to work then. i was in grade 9 when i got this job it was my first job, i enjoyed being a cashier i love people and having positive conversations with them while working and serving them
Pros
friendly work enviroment
Cons
not enough hours
Does not help you to improve as a person and as an employee
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
The work place is not a friendly environment for everyone. Some Managers are polite but some are arrogant and disrespectful. Some co-workers are friendly and easy going but some are not. Managements have favouritism which bothers me most of the time.
Pros
nothing
Cons
I don't mind working long hours
great enviroment
Courtesy Clerk and A' la Carte Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB9 August 2017
lots of learning experiences
a lot of carts to push in
really bad to push carts in the winter
meet new people
great work experience
great benefits for full timers
amazing staff, well organised
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parry Sound, ON8 August 2017
Staff were all well trained, friendly and organised. Always kept busy without it being stressful. They always made sure you received your breaks, and were okay.
poorly managed
Warehouse Support Clerk ( Shipping and Receiving) (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 August 2017
Mostly young management incapable of running the business. They let the union run all over them. Not a family attitude, everyone out for themselves. There were a few good co-workers.
Pros
good friends
Cons
management and union bad
it was a great job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 August 2017
sobeys was great because it was within walking distance from my home. after working there i now know how to operate a cash register as well as dramatically improve my customer service skills
not the most entertaining job
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ON4 August 2017
Very boring, as a cashier you stand in the same spot. Because of standing in the same spot, the shifts are only 4-5 hours long; which is OK if you are in highschool. This job would not bring enough hours unless you are working in a different department at sobeys.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short hours, boring
Deli Clerk (PT) (Former Employee) –  Elmsdale, NS2 August 2017
I really enjoyed working at sobeys...the deli was awesome...the people are also great... I was forced to search elsewhere as the company was downsizing and I could not get enough hours....
Pros
good people to work for
Cons
not enough hours
clerk
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB31 July 2017
working here was great as i learned lots of life skilld after and during working at sobeys. i liked helping customers and pushing in carts when it was nice out.
Bon travail
Préparateur de commandes (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 July 2017
Travail qui passe assez vite et facile a executer.
Pros
pauses
Cons
horaires

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval