Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
I love working but Sobeys is the Devil.
Overnight Merchandiser (Former Employee), Sydney, NSApril 18, 2016
Pros: Not dealing with the public on backshift
Cons: people running a business that have no clue, they try to control you, "work is more important then family"
Sobeys seemed ok at first, until they started calling me in every night.. even if you work backshift they still expect you go to in for a "team meeting" at 1PM for 3 hrs then still go in for back shift. Oh, make sure you answer the phone when they call otherwise they just send people to your house. The Store manager has a god complex and actually told us that we need to realize work is more important then family.. yeah right BUD.. Worst job I've ever had.
Productive and fast pace workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 26, 2016
Pros: coworkers
Cons: no benefits
The key trait that I learned from being a cashier at Sobeys was patience in dealing with all types of customers and learning how to provide the best possible customer service I can. Being an individual who makes friends quite easily has helped me to develop trusting and special relationships with my colleagues that have helped me to enjoy my job. The most difficult aspect of being a cashier at sobeys has been being in stressful situations involving unhappy customers and learning from experience how to calmly handle each unique situation.
Productive and career stability
Retail Operations/Department Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 24, 2016
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: No room for growth
Managing the day to day operations
Ensuring that daily tasks at hand are met
Ensure all employees needs are met
Ensure employee have the right tools to do the job

Love working with a hard working positive driving team to complete our tasks together.

Hardest part of the job is ensuring that everyone is on the same page and can work together and meet everyones needs.

Most enjoyable part of the job is learning something new everyday and able to build my experience and knowledge levels.
Productive and a fun place to work.
Bakery (Former Employee), Morinville, ABApril 19, 2016
Pros: Most people were nice and the breaks were good.
Cons: Long hours.
I clock in and get to work packaging baked goods and putting them on the shelves. I learned how to properly pack and set up certain things. How to help customers when they need it. Management was good, was polite and understanding. Helped me when i needed help. Most of my co-workers were good, some were rude to me and didn't acknowledge me when we had a shift together. There was many hard parts, just working full time I wasn't used to it. The most enjoyable part was just meeting new people and learning new things everyday.
fun work place
Grocery Store Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 17, 2016
Pros: free coffee sometimes free lunches
Cons: 20 hours week four hours a day
i had my co op at school . I started 20 hours per week tuesday -friday
Each day I step in i start looking for expired items then i put food in freezers then they teach me about customer service for example i learned where every thing in the store was and learned the prices because if the customer ask where the eggs are for example there i the dairy isle .. they also taught me about organization skills and even the manger told me i was better than the staff
Great environment, wonderful people
Hot Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 20, 2016
Pros: Good work environment, friendly coworkers and management, flexible
Cons: Not enough hours, physically demanding, unpaid lunch, no discount
Working at Sobeys has been a very good experience. The hot deli is one of the most physically demanding departments which made the work difficult for me personally. I really enjoyed the flexibility of being able to decide what to do and when, and I learned a lot about time management and deadlines. Management is always there for support and the company does an excellent job with employee engagement and trying to make the environment the best possible for all working there.
productive, is very knowlegeable about their customers and store
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Grimsby, ONApril 1, 2016
Pros: long hours, good salary, the people who work there
Cons: sometimes the customers
I have been working for almost a year and I have never had a bad experience working for this company. The workers and managers are excellent. The schedules are pretty much based around what you can work. They are a very flexible company. Honestly, Sobeys is a great place to work. Through my experience here I've learned to improve my time management skills. There is always a job. I believe the hardest part of the job is to always make a customer happy. Unfortunately you cannot make every single customer happy but you still should make the effort to try your best or to give other suggestions to make a better experience.
Good place to work, friendly staff
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMarch 15, 2016
Typical day at work was calm and steady. I worked in the deli with 2-3 other people per day. My co-workers were reliable and punctual, friendly and helpful. Management was helpful as well, very understanding.
Hardest part was opening the Deli in the morning and having to get everything set up and ready by yourself. But it helped me to learn how to work independently.
The most enjoyable part was the friendly staff and our regular customers in the Deli.
A Good Starting Point
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Alliston, ONMarch 11, 2016
Pros: Great people, plenty to learn.
Cons: Not much room for growth.
A normal day at Sobeys in the morning would consist of first, culling the floor and the wet case. Making sure that there are no bad products before the store opened to ensure quality. Then, scanning out each item using CAO to maintain correct inventory numbers, and finally scanning each product out with PeriScope and calculating shrink for the day. After that, it's maintaining the floor and approaching customers asking if they need help finding anything or if they are looking for something in particular.
Great management, comprehensive training, good environment
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee), Whitby, ONMarch 3, 2016
The work environment at Sobey's was great, a lot of the veteran employee's were very patient and helpful. The management, both lower and senior, were very friendly and understanding. Training was good. Union membership and benefits were on par with the industry's best.

Some of the other warehouse employees weren't very good people, acted very short sighted manner on the job and made the day harder than it had to be.
Great place to work!
Cashier/ Food Demonstrator (Current Employee), Bridgewater, NSMarch 2, 2016
Pros: Awesome Co-workers
Cons: Long shifts
My favorite thing about working at Sobeys is the employees, they all care about you, and they become your family. A typical day would be asking the supervisor what cash register number you're at, going down to set up, grabbing your first customer, ringing in groceries until they let you go for your break, then doing the same until you get off. They handle situations very professionally.
customer service and the fast pace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2016
Pros: The work experiment with co-workers and customers
Cons: The uniforms while being pregnant
I would open and place tills / lottery
make sure my cashiers know their duties.
answer phone calls, deals with customer returns
open deliver boxes and merchandise the tills

management was strict and efficient

never had a hardest part of my job because I could over come it and learn from the experience

I enjoyed the environment and the friendly staff. So I was always looking forward to work.
Cooperative Education
Co-op Placement in Bakery (Former Employee), Brighton, ONMarch 28, 2016
Pros: Volunteer Experience
I did cooperative education in the sobey's bakery. A typical day was bagging breads, rolls buns, etc. I learned how to work the labeling machine and the bread slicers. Management was good but my co-works were alright. The hardest part of the job was trying to do things quickly without experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was bagging the baked products.
Great staff & wonderful working environment.
Laborer (Former Employee), Miramichi, NBFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: Flexible hours & friendly staff
Cons: Fair amount of heavy lifting
Typical day involves making a wide array of baked goods, the demand of which varies from day to day along with specials/sales.

Learned management skills and customer relations.

Co-workers are great people who are always flexible and willing to help whenever needed.

Hardest part of the job would easily be trying to get a wide number of things baked with limited time & space.

Most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the wonderful co-workers.
Team environment, highly engaging
Cashier (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 20, 2016
Pros: Career advancement opportunities
Cons: Long hours
I worked at Sobeys as a cashier assistant. I learned how to operate a cashier. Since this was my first retail job, I also learned how to interact with customers. The workers at Sobeys were very engaging and helpful towards each other. The co-workers that had been working there for longer would gladly help a new and learning worker out if he/she encountered an issue. The management at Sobeys was also very good. It kept workers in each department focused and working as a team at all times. The hardest part of this job was training myself to become efficient as possible in using the cashier from the day that I started work. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was interacting with all the customers, exchanging positive words and a smile felt good.
Very high expectations for little pay
Bulk Food Manager (Former Employee), Kitchener-Waterloo, ONApril 11, 2016
Pros: l was given the opportunity to advance
Cons: No respect for the little people who actually do most of the work
Running a department is a lot of work but l found it fun as well as challenging. However, l never felt appreciated or as part of the team. l was unpaid or not paid for all the hours l worked. lt was only after l left that they realize how hard l worked for them.
Overall friendly place to work
Produce Clerk & Bakery Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEFebruary 9, 2016
I mostly worked in the bakery, which was perfect fit for me because I tend to be on the more creative side of things and thoroughly enjoy cake decorating. My co workers were great and there was never any drama. I enjoyed being there both because of the work and because of the overall atmosphere. If I could still be working there (however, factors that are causing me to relocate) I would be.
Inconsistent work load and lack of motivation
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 2, 2016
As a part-timer, I had all the responsibilities of a full-time employee and was rarely given acknowledgement for my work that is required to motivate an employee to perform to the best of their abilities. Though my direct manager was a positive point of my employment, upper management had a negative attitude to the overall work atmosphere
Productive and Friendly workplace
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 29, 2016
My job consisted of preparation and safe handling of products sold in the Salad Bar.
A typical Day at work would consist of
-prepping the food
-cutting/dicing the food
-preparing the food
-labelling
-Cleaning/sanitizing
I learned a lot about customer service and and attaining to the customers needs as the customer is always right! I also learned about keeping a clean and tidy work area and handling food correctly and safely.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with different people and interacting with customers!
Overall a nice place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 26, 2016
I think that overall this wasn't an overall difficult place to work, I got along with most of my co-workers but I found I was frequently getting pulled into work days I wasn't scheduled for and they called me last minute. This is the reason I left but overall it is a clean and well maintained grocery store and I would recommend the Job to other youth looking for a first job.