Sobeys Employee Reviews

good place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 7, 2016
i really enjoyed working here while i was in high school! they were very good with scheduling me around my school and they really support people getting there education. everyone in my department got along really well and it was always fun! management is also really good! the store manager i had was really involved and actually got to know everyone who worked in the store and was always there to help when needed. the pay isn't that great and you don't get a raise very often but overall i really enjoyed working here
Pros
ALWAYS samples in lunch room, nice staff
Great learning experience
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Paris, ONAugust 16, 2016
As Sobeys being my first form of employment, I was not only shown basic cash and customer service skills but gained knowledge on working for a large company and the positions within. With food safety being the main priority I was taught extensive cleaning and safety measures. I have had the pleasure of serving small town clientele that are usually a lot more amicable and courteous which results in an overall pleasant work experience.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Limited room for growth
Tedious, repetitive
Deli Server (Former Employee) –  Blenheim, ONSeptember 15, 2016
start after school around 4-9
summer 3-9

Clean and sanitize meat slicers
clean and sanitize counters
clean display case, windows and inside
dishes
sweep/mop
serve customers,
operate slicers
slice cheese and meat, different slicers
wrap meats at the end of the night
take garbage to the back when called a certain code

Paid bi-weekly
Pros
coupons, working with the public, decent hours
Cons
working with difficult customers, not very good training
Fast Work Fun , Something You can take enjoyment out of working.
Forklift Operator Wear House (Former Employee) –  Debert, NSAugust 9, 2016
Building Pallets and driving the fork lift or pallets jacks , you had to pick count on a week base overall count from your five days of picking pallets for stores. Management Was pretty good overall other then head office which didnt really see the work that was being done and how well. The Hardest part of the job was trying to push your own numbers trying to show that you can pick the best numbers in the plant.
Pros
Bounces if trucks were done on time or early
Cons
If people were slacking and bring down every ones numbers
Productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, ABAugust 16, 2016
A typical day at work was standing around, ringing peoples groceries through. I learned some important social skills and how to multitask more easily. Management was friendly and taught me well. I got along with most of my coworkers. The hardest part of the job was probably when the sore was bus and I either ran out of bags or the computer froze. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiling, satisfied customer leaving the store.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONAugust 14, 2016
cashier

i would scan items in order for people to pay for them and handle cash at various times throughout my shift. When there was a break in a rush we would have to clean our areas and invite people to come to our checkout.

The co workers were nice and fun to work with, but the managers were tolerable and i listened to them every time they gave orders, they were just not nice at many times
Pros
good work environment
Productive workplace
Cake decorator (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MBSeptember 26, 2016
I really enjoyed the environment. I enjoyed decorating the cakes for different occasions. I learned how to air brush cakes. I picked up a few extra tricks for decorating the cakes. I worked alone most times and that was enjoyable. But when my foot broke they didn't keep my spot as cake decorator when my foot healed up. That was about the only bad thing working for Sobey's.
Pros
Discounts for groceries
productive and on the go work place
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABAugust 31, 2016
bagging groceries, collecting carts and baskets. co-workers are friendly and hard-working, the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and talking to customers. hardest part of the job is dealing with the busy times because sobey's gets busy at different times throughout the day.
Pros
you would get free food in the lunch room occasionally
Cons
shifts are hard to get
Fast pace, labour intensive environment with hard working colleagues.
Deli Clerk (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 26, 2016
If you are looking for new challenges and opportunities everyday in a labour intensive environment while working within team settings Sobeys is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers, wonderful HR staff & store managers
Cons
Maximum of 32 hours for part-time staff, very limited pay raises, no employee discount
Aspiring and Fun stepping stone
Produce, Salad Girl (Former Employee) –  New Hamburg, ONAugust 1, 2016
I did not work much since i was a young high school student focusing on my grades. I would come in bright and early, do some data sheets, and begin chopping fruits and vegetables for the salads in produce. Not only did i chop fruits and salads, i made a variety of different healthy snacks, such as: Lunch packs, taco dip's, broccoli casserole, and prepared stir fry vegetables mixes. The work was time sensitive causing me to work fast and create a quick day. I took an hour for lunch. The hardest part of the job would have been keeping up with the busy pace of the customers enjoying my products; once a product purchased it needed to be replaced by myself. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been to learn so many different healthy alternative ways to eat.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
management
Great family dynamic
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONJune 29, 2016
It was like working with a family everyone is very friendly and helpful, team work is a huge part of the company. And customers seemed to have a good experience throughout the store. Always went out of their way to make employees feel important by having us choose our fellow co-workers who desire to be appreciated within each department. Also having employee lunch's where food is provided and games.
Easy work environment
Cashier/Bagger (Carts) (Current Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONJune 30, 2016
I currently work for Sobeys, and I can say that it really isn't that bad of a job. The jobs I do are very easy, I just have to move quick. My co-workers are amazing people! I don't think I have ever worked with such great people in my life! I don't agree with some of the policies that upper management has for us, but these policies are put in place so that we ensure the customers have no complaints. This makes my job a little harder, but its nice to see the smile it puts on the customers face. The store managers are great and aren't hard on you. If you do your job right, and don't mind picking up a shift here and there, they can be very flexible with your hours. Overall, I have no major problems with this place and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Rude customers
Most amazing job I've had yet
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJune 15, 2016
From the managers to my fellow lower employees, everyone was wonderful. The entire crew was helpful and nice, but knew when to crack down and be serious. I loved working there and I miss it so.
My day was a set schedule of opening with pizzas, then sandwiches, then hot foods, all with serving customers between. I learned so much regarding how to handle foods, how to deal with customers, and how to do book work and keeping. The hardest part of my job was when a lunch rush or event was going on, attempting to serve customers and doing your daily tasks was a handful, but we always got it done. I loved every part of my job.
Cons
mario
Fun workplace with enjoyable workers.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 21, 2016
I worked in the deli department. My manager was really good at her job and gave me great direction and trained me really well. I had to make sure everything was cleaned and sanitized especially when working with meat and cheese. I had to make trays and I had a specific deadline. I had to cut cheeses and meats for customers. I had to greet customers and ask them for their orders. I had to always clean once in a while to make sure there was no cross contamination. I had to open and close the deli department and make sure everything was prepped or put away and ready to go. It was hard when I had deadlines but I always made them and it was also hard when there was a lot of customers at once. I always kept calm and got to every customer.
Pros
Sobey's Club
Cons
No benefits
n/a
Customer Service/Deli Operations (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 30, 2016
I am just looking for a new job. There is no review for Sobeys as theyve asked not to give reviews. It has asking me for more info about the company but i cant give my input. Ill just say I am a very hard worker and my goals are to extend by skills by learning new things. I am very punctual, hardworking and v
ery into completing goals that i set or are set for me.
Fun workplace with great staff
Customer Service/Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLSeptember 25, 2016
I loved my coworkers and the staff was very efficient and committed. It was easy to get time off if required, and was an overall great company to work for. What I have gained from working at Sobeys for three years is great customer service skills, and a quick and efficient work ethic in a fast-paced work environment.
great place with great co-workers
Support the physical activities associated (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONSeptember 14, 2016
it was a great place to work. fellow co-workers and mangement were very nice to work with and work for. The monthly lunches plus the summer picnics and xmas parties were great to attend. This company has so of the best equipment and state of the art tech to work with.
Pros
monthly lunches
Cons
weekend shifts always
Productive and adaptable tasks
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 10, 2016
Its challenging when it comes to all the cleaning, but it keeps me very busy! The co-workers I work with are great as well as the management. I enjoy engaging with the customers at Sobey's while i'm still finishing a task or project the most. When customers ask about certain pastries, food, cakes, or products that we sell in Sobey's I like to help them find what they are looking for and if I can't I will ask someone in another department so the customer is satisfied.
Enjoyable work place in a fast-paced environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Paris, ONJune 10, 2016
Aside from dealing with the odd nasty customer who is inpatient and unappreciative of the work done as a cashier,the job and customers were quite good. Management is great - mostly understanding and accommodating. Hardest part of the job was probably starting customer service and learning to multitask. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with great friends and getting to know the members of the community since I worked in a small town Sobeys.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Customers can be quite rude
Fun work place at most times sometimes very challenging
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 6, 2016
A typical day at work included serving customers, lots of cleaning and sometimes included paperwork. When it came to serving customers it included interacting with the customers and slicing the deli meat to their expectations. This was my first job so i gained lots of experience working with the public and how to deal with a high stress environment. My favourite part of the job would probably be getting to work with my coworkers everyday. I made some of my best friends working there. The most challenging part of the job was when my main manager resigned and my assistant manager was put in charge in the mean time, i was a senior in the department and took over the responsibilities of the assistant. In the end i resigned because i was able to get full time at another job and they were unable to give that to me.