Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,039 reviews matching the search
good place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
i really enjoyed working here while i was in high school! they were very good with scheduling me around my school and they really support people getting there education. everyone in my department got along really well and it was always fun! management is also really good! the store manager i had was really involved and actually got to know everyone who worked in the store and was always there to help when needed. the pay isn't that great and you don't get a raise very often but overall i really enjoyed working here
Pros
ALWAYS samples in lunch room, nice staff
Good people, Hard work, Bad managment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON5 September 2016
A typical day at work at Sobeys would be. Arrive and punch in, go to my department and check for a list that my manager would have left for me. Often times my manager wouldn't leave me anything. We'd fill up the floor and then receive the order for the day. then we would clean till the end of our shifts. On this job I learned Tricks on how to make vegetables look fresher. The management sucked. My manager was a never around and never pushed us to work harder. The store manager was mean person he was never satisfied he'd tell us to work on something that didn't need working on and then yell at us for letting other stuff go down. My co-workers were really good people i had a very good time getting to know them. The hardest part was unloading big orders, our cooler was pretty small and our orders were generally big so it made unloading pretty difficult and stressful. The most enjoyable part was getting to know everyone they were good people i still keep in touch with even though I don't work there anymore.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks
Cons
Early 6am shifts
Team environment, highly engaging
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 April 2016
I worked at Sobeys as a cashier assistant. I learned how to operate a cashier. Since this was my first retail job, I also learned how to interact with customers. The workers at Sobeys were very engaging and helpful towards each other. The co-workers that had been working there for longer would gladly help a new and learning worker out if he/she encountered an issue. The management at Sobeys was also very good. It kept workers in each department focused and working as a team at all times. The hardest part of this job was training myself to become efficient as possible in using the cashier from the day that I started work. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was interacting with all the customers, exchanging positive words and a smile felt good.
Pros
Career advancement opportunities
productive workplace
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and Regina, SK2 September 2016
I enjoyed working at Sobeys in Calgary. I was there almost 2 years. I did not approve of some of the management whose behaviour was questionable.
When I would raise that concern with them, I felt that my voice was never being heard.
Pros
pleasant coworkers and customers
Cons
management could have used more professionalism
Productive and fast-paced working environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pictou, NS6 May 2016
Sobey's is a great place to work, especially the staff and managment. There is always a lot of production to be completed, as well as constant interaction with other customers and co-workers. There is always room for advancement in management, but it does take quite some time to get to a higher level. The hardest part about the job, would have to be a lot of heavy lifting. I enjoy the people I work with, as well as meeting new people every day. It gives me an experience to interact with others, as well as gain personal skills.
Pros
Medical/dental benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
productive, is very knowlegeable about their customers and store
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, ON1 April 2016
I have been working for almost a year and I have never had a bad experience working for this company. The workers and managers are excellent. The schedules are pretty much based around what you can work. They are a very flexible company. Honestly, Sobeys is a great place to work. Through my experience here I've learned to improve my time management skills. There is always a job. I believe the hardest part of the job is to always make a customer happy. Unfortunately you cannot make every single customer happy but you still should make the effort to try your best or to give other suggestions to make a better experience.
Pros
long hours, good salary, the people who work there
Cons
sometimes the customers
Fast pace, labour intensive environment with hard working colleagues.
Deli Clerk (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
If you are looking for new challenges and opportunities everyday in a labour intensive environment while working within team settings Sobeys is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers, wonderful HR staff & store managers
Cons
Maximum of 32 hours for part-time staff, very limited pay raises, no employee discount
Deli Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 November 2016
I enjoyed my time working at Sobeys, along with most of the staff I worked with. However, the manager of the department I was in preferred to play favorites and only those who were friends with her received special treatment, such as all time off requests, advancements, bonuses, etc.
Pros
Enjoyed the work I did
Cons
Management attitude
Great manager/bad management
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, NS24 November 2016
I really loved my department and managers of the department however the greater management of the business was fairly absent, although did show interest if % were low or complaints arose.
Pros
great customers, training provided, great of students, flexible with hours
Cons
low rate of pay, benefits not great
Terrible Store Manager
Baker (Former Employee) –  St. Clair Beach6 September 2016
Sobeys may seem like a good place for a starter job, but it isn't ideal for a full career. Without a Union, the employee is subject to termination at any point for bogus reasons. In my case I was terminated for reasons made up by the Store Manager. When I attempted to appeal my dismissal, the Store Manager did nothing.
Pros
easy hire
Cons
low pay, poor management
Deli Manager, produce mgr, FE mgr, admn mgr (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS24 November 2016
I worked for this company for ovet 37 years and truly believe it is one of the best ompanies to work for. They care about their employers, there is lots of room for advancement, and they have great benefits .
Very stressful environment and you are expected to do more work for less pay that is overloaded and barring.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 November 2016
Sobeys is a terrible company to work for as they are always looking to pinch their employees so they can save money. The workloads are very over-bearing and it does not support a very good team environment. Ungarunteed hours and most of your hard work goes unrecognized. I was also "let go" while on maternity leave, which is not legal. I never felt appreciated and there were no benefits, or incentive to take on the duties in which I was expected to do.
Pros
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Cons
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Good Job for Students
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 October 2016
Sobeys is a good job for students. I would recommend someone to work for Sobeys as long as they are ok with shift work. The staff is reliable in my own opinion and management treats you well.
Pros
staff, atmosphere
Cons
Shift Work, Management, job security
An okay work environment but a bit toxic in terms of management/worker relations
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS5 February 2016
It was an okay job to be honest, very flexible especially if you're a part timer. But there was a fundamental distrust between management and the workers that sparked a lot of competition and made things uncomfortable and stressful. I personally didn't agree with a lot of company decisions, such as their prices. Since the 2 years that I started working there, they had been raised to ridiculous amounts for all their store made products, and at quantity and quality that simply wasn't worth the asking price in my eyes. I didn't feel good and took no pride working for a company like this, having to search for excuses to tell customers, and so I quit.
Pros
Flexibility with shifts and work hours
Cons
Stressful most of the time
Hard work but friendly people
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 October 2016
Extremely fast paced and physically demanding. Great benefits and job security. Over 700 employees working on 3 shifts. Everyone was real easy to get along with.
Pros
Great wage and benefits
Cons
physically hard on the body
Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK6 December 2016
-Good work environment
-Fair enough management
-Customers interaction
-Helpful co-workers
-Staff events
-Benefits plan
Aspiring and Fun stepping stone
Produce, Salad Girl (Former Employee) –  New Hamburg, ON1 August 2016
I did not work much since i was a young high school student focusing on my grades. I would come in bright and early, do some data sheets, and begin chopping fruits and vegetables for the salads in produce. Not only did i chop fruits and salads, i made a variety of different healthy snacks, such as: Lunch packs, taco dip's, broccoli casserole, and prepared stir fry vegetables mixes. The work was time sensitive causing me to work fast and create a quick day. I took an hour for lunch. The hardest part of the job would have been keeping up with the busy pace of the customers enjoying my products; once a product purchased it needed to be replaced by myself. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been to learn so many different healthy alternative ways to eat.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
management
fun place to work
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB28 July 2016
great place to work, willing to work with staff for the hours and days off, worked as a team. Everyone was enjoyable the ambiance was great to work in worked hard and yet still had the time to have fun as we worked.
Pros
ambiance is great
Cons
no advancement or raises
Productive and a fun place to work.
Bakery (Former Employee) –  Morinville, AB19 April 2016
I clock in and get to work packaging baked goods and putting them on the shelves. I learned how to properly pack and set up certain things. How to help customers when they need it. Management was good, was polite and understanding. Helped me when i needed help. Most of my co-workers were good, some were rude to me and didn't acknowledge me when we had a shift together. There was many hard parts, just working full time I wasn't used to it. The most enjoyable part was just meeting new people and learning new things everyday.
Pros
Most people were nice and the breaks were good.
Cons
Long hours.
Fun place to work
IT Developer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 September 2016
Pros:
Nice working environment;
People are friendly;
Management team is okay;
Good vacation days given

Cons:
Salary is lower than the market;
Bonus is so so