Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,343 reviews matching the search
a okay place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON25 July 2017
it was a great place to work .I loved my manger but a few of us took a long time to warm up to our store manger. I was attending school at the time and i had a full time position and it was hard but i tried my best.
Pros
good workers
Cons
not so good manger
Busy during nights more help
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 July 2017
Night shift is very busy from 400-800 cases on load nights. Very little staffing usually anywhere from 1- 2 bodies. No sense of direction for student employees
Pros
free lunches
Fast paced and fun
Cashier-Bagger (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON24 July 2017
This was a part time job.
They never had a full time employment for cashiers
Hours per week were good but not the 40 I would like to work
It was interesting to see what foods people purchase
Pros
Never a dull day
Cons
only part time
Good for the most part
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 July 2017
It was a pretty good job. Pretty flexible hours and the management isn't bad. The only thing I didn't like is the supervisors and some employees would gather in the front and visit mean while the other cashiers were all working. They were pretty selective about their group too.
productive
Time management (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON22 July 2017
I understand the importance of being a strong leader and having good communication skills. During my volunteer work for the Safety Village I developed good time management abilities and adaptability skills while interacting with kids and parents. From completing Cake Certificates I have became familiar with the basics of sales and customer service by selling my own cakes and making my own little business.
its a great work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Digby, NS19 July 2017
loved working for sobeys best job i ever had i hope to be part of the team again. The pwople that i worked with were friendly nice and cared what your need.
Best job I could ask for.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, AB19 July 2017
The best first job I could have asked for. Management was great, hours were great as well. It was overall a great place to work and develope skills for life.
Pretty decent place to work
Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS19 July 2017
impossible to get more than 20 hours a week here other than that sobeys is a pretty great place to work. Management only really cares about sales & themselves also.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
management
3rd Major Reorganisation in 5 years
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 July 2017
Prior to our last reorganisation, I thoroughly enjoyed my previous 6 years with this company. Great opportunity for advancement, respect for work/life balance, and investment in my future. Since acquisition of Safeway and reorganisation 2 years ago, this company is unrecognisable.
Not bad
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS17 July 2017
Loved it just want to do something else but staff and customers were great. It was fun place to work. Regular customers were always great to see every week
Good
Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB16 July 2017
Perfect for a high school student. It can be slow, can be busy but has flexible hours. You can work as much as you'd like, managers are excellent. You get lots of hours.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Strange hours(late/ early shifts and for example a five hour and forty five minute shift)
Horrible management, boring, horrible for self esteem
Deli worker (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 July 2017
-boring, slow, stuck at slicer slicing meat
-that my personality does not fit retail
-only management gets full-time hours, makes you cry, lack of understanding
-neutral
-how slow the time passes and the lack of respect or recognition for all the positive jobs completed
-a couple friends made
Pros
Friends
Cons
lack of hours so they dont have to give you breaks
Interest work every day
Vice President, Store, Wholesale & HR Systems (Current Employee) –  STellarton, NS14 July 2017
This was a fast paced environment with new challenges each day. Great team to work with. Going through some company performance challenges - resulting in changes to organizational structure.
Pros
Interesting Work
Cons
Resistance to change
Fun
Cashier, Cash-up, Lottery (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB13 July 2017
Fun environment with great pay and advencement. I would promote working here all day, when I worled there the store manager was not a very nice women but I belive shes gone now.
Great place for exceptional customer service practices.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chinguacousy, ON13 July 2017
Working at Sobeys is quite enlightening, you get to see how things are done within a grocery store. The staff are from all walks of life. Working on the Frontend, you get first-hand experience in practicing Great customer service skills. I have learned a lot about the Canadian Culture while working there.
Pros
Employee monthly discount.
Cons
Few hours.
Productive and fun workplace
Front-End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2017
Really good job experience worked and trained in every department. Loved working there.The people where good to work with and the management and well organized.
Great place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Bend, ON12 July 2017
Very stable environment always knowing what is expected of you. Short shifts which worked great for me but longer shifts were an option. Winter hours are less but still enough for a part time job.
Clean and organized store
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 July 2017
A typical day working at Sobeys when I work in grocery is moving boxes of food from the back onto the shelves, and doing three to four hours of facing per shift to ensure the store looks Organized and approachable for the consumers. When I am a cashier I stand in front of my till until I have a customer to I look welcoming and ready to provide her/him with great service. I normally ask if they have found everything they needed, if they have air miles and how their day is going.
I learned for grocery everyone has to work together, if another employer comes in and does not do her/his job facing or puts items in the wrong place it makes the overall job more difficult, not allowing for the organized and clean environment Sobeys has strived for.
The management is very welcoming and kind at Sobeys, the only problem I have is only getting two shifts a week, not making enough to pay for all my bills.
Pros
Flexible when I played Volleyball
Cons
Only two shifts a week
The workplace is good, but the management could be better
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ON11 July 2017
This work place was good. However towards the end of my time working there the management froze me out of hours, i was lucky to get 3 hours in a week.
Deli is a great place to work if you want to be back in high school
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON11 July 2017
At first the job was good than after awhile the drama starts and management is right in the middle of it she loves to stir the pot and start things. Has her favourites which is understandable because some work harder than others, the problem is her favourites never have to follow the rules and mostly stand around doing nothing. You can't go to the Deli manager if you have a problem and you can't go to store manger either because they are all buddies and just talk behind your back. No professionalism what so ever.
Pros
Met some great people in other departments
Cons
Not many hours and to much drama for the pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval