Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,084 reviews matching the search
good place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
i really enjoyed working here while i was in high school! they were very good with scheduling me around my school and they really support people getting there education. everyone in my department got along really well and it was always fun! management is also really good! the store manager i had was really involved and actually got to know everyone who worked in the store and was always there to help when needed. the pay isn't that great and you don't get a raise very often but overall i really enjoyed working here
Pros
ALWAYS samples in lunch room, nice staff
Started out working for IGA as a student when I was 13. Worked my way up to become a meat Manager by the time I was 19.
Meat manager (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON3 January 2017
Great and fun place to work, met lots of great staff and customers over the years,

Great culture
Very friendly management
Great corporate structure
Lots of opportunities
Very good benefits
Well managed policy's and procedure

Team building
Coaching and leadership training
Good people, Hard work, Bad managment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON5 September 2016
A typical day at work at Sobeys would be. Arrive and punch in, go to my department and check for a list that my manager would have left for me. Often times my manager wouldn't leave me anything. We'd fill up the floor and then receive the order for the day. then we would clean till the end of our shifts. On this job I learned Tricks on how to make vegetables look fresher. The management sucked. My manager was a never around and never pushed us to work harder. The store manager was mean person he was never satisfied he'd tell us to work on something that didn't need working on and then yell at us for letting other stuff go down. My co-workers were really good people i had a very good time getting to know them. The hardest part was unloading big orders, our cooler was pretty small and our orders were generally big so it made unloading pretty difficult and stressful. The most enjoyable part was getting to know everyone they were good people i still keep in touch with even though I don't work there anymore.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks
Cons
Early 6am shifts
productive workplace
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and Regina, SK2 September 2016
I enjoyed working at Sobeys in Calgary. I was there almost 2 years. I did not approve of some of the management whose behaviour was questionable.
When I would raise that concern with them, I felt that my voice was never being heard.
Pros
pleasant coworkers and customers
Cons
management could have used more professionalism
Team environment, highly engaging
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 April 2016
I worked at Sobeys as a cashier assistant. I learned how to operate a cashier. Since this was my first retail job, I also learned how to interact with customers. The workers at Sobeys were very engaging and helpful towards each other. The co-workers that had been working there for longer would gladly help a new and learning worker out if he/she encountered an issue. The management at Sobeys was also very good. It kept workers in each department focused and working as a team at all times. The hardest part of this job was training myself to become efficient as possible in using the cashier from the day that I started work. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was interacting with all the customers, exchanging positive words and a smile felt good.
Pros
Career advancement opportunities
Cons
Productive and fast-paced working environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pictou, NS6 May 2016
Sobey's is a great place to work, especially the staff and managment. There is always a lot of production to be completed, as well as constant interaction with other customers and co-workers. There is always room for advancement in management, but it does take quite some time to get to a higher level. The hardest part about the job, would have to be a lot of heavy lifting. I enjoy the people I work with, as well as meeting new people every day. It gives me an experience to interact with others, as well as gain personal skills.
Pros
Medical/dental benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Fast pace, labour intensive environment with hard working colleagues.
Deli Clerk (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
If you are looking for new challenges and opportunities everyday in a labour intensive environment while working within team settings Sobeys is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers, wonderful HR staff & store managers
Cons
Maximum of 32 hours for part-time staff, very limited pay raises, no employee discount
Deli Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 November 2016
I enjoyed my time working at Sobeys, along with most of the staff I worked with. However, the manager of the department I was in preferred to play favorites and only those who were friends with her received special treatment, such as all time off requests, advancements, bonuses, etc.
Pros
Enjoyed the work I did
Cons
Management attitude
Great manager/bad management
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, NS24 November 2016
I really loved my department and managers of the department however the greater management of the business was fairly absent, although did show interest if % were low or complaints arose.
Pros
great customers, training provided, great of students, flexible with hours
Cons
low rate of pay, benefits not great
Simple and enjoyable work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON21 December 2016
Sobeys has employee benefits for those who qualify, along with pay increase ever 700 hours worked. Management is reliable and friendly. Work environment is well balanced and cheerful.
Pros
Flexible availability.
Cons
Lack of full time positions outside of management
I had fun working there, it was a positive experience.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2017
I had only worked 8 months but in that time I made many friends there. I was trained by just about everybody there everyday to be a better employee. The job was fun and there was always something that needed to be done which kept me busy and helped pass the time for my shifts.
The patrons weren't very polite and would often harass employees by slamming their carts into the cashier stands,and or insulting them But that was about the only bad thing about working there, although that was due to the location of the building. management was reasonable, schedules were reasonable, shift hours were reasonable, i didn't have much to complain about. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Nice staff, excellent training, reasonable hours and scheduling.
Cons
bad patrons and location.
Deli Manager, produce mgr, FE mgr, admn mgr (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS24 November 2016
I worked for this company for ovet 37 years and truly believe it is one of the best ompanies to work for. They care about their employers, there is lots of room for advancement, and they have great benefits .
productive, is very knowlegeable about their customers and store
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, ON1 April 2016
I have been working for almost a year and I have never had a bad experience working for this company. The workers and managers are excellent. The schedules are pretty much based around what you can work. They are a very flexible company. Honestly, Sobeys is a great place to work. Through my experience here I've learned to improve my time management skills. There is always a job. I believe the hardest part of the job is to always make a customer happy. Unfortunately you cannot make every single customer happy but you still should make the effort to try your best or to give other suggestions to make a better experience.
Pros
long hours, good salary, the people who work there
Cons
sometimes the customers
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2017
A typical day at work involves data analysis, building/maintaining data and excel templates, responding to ad hoc queries and involvement in process improvement activities. I have added a new business intelligence tool to my portfolio of data analysis software. Management is flexible and approachable whilst constantly encouraging staff to use initiatives to solve problems. My co workers are fantastic team players. The hardest part of the job is predicting economic impacts on the financials.
The most enjoyable part is resolving queries / exceeding customer expectations and receiving recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
late hours
Very stressful environment and you are expected to do more work for less pay that is overloaded and barring.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 November 2016
Sobeys is a terrible company to work for as they are always looking to pinch their employees so they can save money. The workloads are very over-bearing and it does not support a very good team environment. Ungarunteed hours and most of your hard work goes unrecognized. I was also "let go" while on maternity leave, which is not legal. I never felt appreciated and there were no benefits, or incentive to take on the duties in which I was expected to do.
Pros
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Cons
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
It was OK.
frontend service clerk (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL1 January 2017
It over all would end up to be ok. The place I worked had a bit of a boss that was extreme to be precise and the job i had was demanding at best. Being that i had to handle everything on the outside of the building right down to the gravel on the parking lot then getting scolded for not being able to make up for others not doing their share was rough and trying not to get sick for being around everyone in the area as well as bad weather but it was work. so all in all it was ok.
Pros
Decent pay for full time.
Cons
no positive reinforcement from management and barely enough hours to make quota.
Terrible Store Manager
Baker (Former Employee) –  St. Clair Beach6 September 2016
Sobeys may seem like a good place for a starter job, but it isn't ideal for a full career. Without a Union, the employee is subject to termination at any point for bogus reasons. In my case I was terminated for reasons made up by the Store Manager. When I attempted to appeal my dismissal, the Store Manager did nothing.
Pros
easy hire
Cons
low pay, poor management
Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK6 December 2016
-Good work environment
-Fair enough management
-Customers interaction
-Helpful co-workers
-Staff events
-Benefits plan
Good Job for Students
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 October 2016
Sobeys is a good job for students. I would recommend someone to work for Sobeys as long as they are ok with shift work. The staff is reliable in my own opinion and management treats you well.
Pros
staff, atmosphere
Cons
Shift Work, Management, job security
Hard work but friendly people
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 October 2016
Extremely fast paced and physically demanding. Great benefits and job security. Over 700 employees working on 3 shifts. Everyone was real easy to get along with.
Pros
Great wage and benefits
Cons
physically hard on the body