Sobeys Employee Reviews

productive, is very knowlegeable about their customers and store
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, ONApril 1, 2016
I have been working for almost a year and I have never had a bad experience working for this company. The workers and managers are excellent. The schedules are pretty much based around what you can work. They are a very flexible company. Honestly, Sobeys is a great place to work. Through my experience here I've learned to improve my time management skills. There is always a job. I believe the hardest part of the job is to always make a customer happy. Unfortunately you cannot make every single customer happy but you still should make the effort to try your best or to give other suggestions to make a better experience.
Pros
long hours, good salary, the people who work there
Cons
sometimes the customers
An okay work environment but a bit toxic in terms of management/worker relations
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSFebruary 5, 2016
It was an okay job to be honest, very flexible especially if you're a part timer. But there was a fundamental distrust between management and the workers that sparked a lot of competition and made things uncomfortable and stressful. I personally didn't agree with a lot of company decisions, such as their prices. Since the 2 years that I started working there, they had been raised to ridiculous amounts for all their store made products, and at quantity and quality that simply wasn't worth the asking price in my eyes. I didn't feel good and took no pride working for a company like this, having to search for excuses to tell customers, and so I quit.
Pros
Flexibility with shifts and work hours
Cons
Stressful most of the time
Great management, comprehensive training, good environment
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 3, 2016
The work environment at Sobey's was great, a lot of the veteran employee's were very patient and helpful. The management, both lower and senior, were very friendly and understanding. Training was good. Union membership and benefits were on par with the industry's best.

Some of the other warehouse employees weren't very good people, acted very short sighted manner on the job and made the day harder than it had to be.
Productive and fast paced work environment.
Cashier/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMarch 23, 2016
A typical day at Sobeys includes a good team effort to maintain the produce department and checking for quality constantly. Keeping the produce department as organized and tidy as possible for a better shopping experience for customers. Providing excellent customer service and answering any questions customers have to the best of my knowledge. I have learned great customer service skills through this company and how to be an active team member. My customer service skills have become exceptionally better by working for Sobeys. Management at Sobeys is organized and are always looking out for their employees. Co-workers are friendly and work well as a team. Everyone pulls their weight and does their absolute best to make sure the department is well maintained, as well as the produce back shop. Other departments work together to create an all around friendly, upbeat work environment. The hardest part of working for Sobeys is issue they have with staffing. The produce department is incredibly under staffed which would put stress on those working especially when the day got busy. The most enjoyable part of working for Sobeys would be the people. Even on the bad days the staff would all come together as a team and work to the best of their ability. It is a big family atmosphere.
Pros
Staff sample days, pay raise every 500 hours, yearly bonus.
Cons
Under staffed, no full-time positions offered.
Occasional work as a high school student
Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Stocked produce department and maintained stock area
I never got to work with people and I would prefer to be around others
The hardest part of the job was keeping up on busy days because I was by myself
It was also had to do the exact same thing every day
Pros
lots of breaks
Cons
no benefits
Not the greatest time.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Acton, ONMarch 2, 2016
Working at Sobeys was great at first, I met some really great people. After working at Sobeys for a year I decided to quit. I was asked to be a supervisor with no raise and other workers were being paid more than me and doing less, I didn't find that fair.
Pros
great people
Cons
not fair
good workplace with great staff but decent managment
Night Clerk (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ONMarch 10, 2016
Sobeys co workers are great but management could use some work, off days could have been scheduled better and adequate training would be nice.
Pros
good people
Cons
no employee benefits
good benefits
commissary cleaner/ sanitation (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2016
The department I worked in has friendly work atmosphere.
The supervisors are approachable and willing to help the workers.
The company gives good benefits to employees.
Fast, productive corporate enviroment.
Merchandising/Advertising CoOrdinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 9, 2016
This was a great place to work, the starting salary was ideal and the end salary was great. The environment was ideal and the respective staff for the most part were very personable and friendly/polite.
Pros
Activities and Excursions often
Cons
Long Hours
Unfair
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSFebruary 12, 2016
The management was very unfair.
Choose favorites frequently.
Seniority doesnt mean anything to them.
treat you like a child and yell at you in front of customers.
Pros
Christmas bonus
Cons
No benefits
Fun place to work, kept busy
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, ABMarch 2, 2016
I learned how to decorate cakes, slice bread, deal with the register, customers, and cleaning. I always had a job to do, and that's what I admired most about this job.
Cons
Needed a higher salary
Fast paced and customer focused workplace
FRONT END SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSSeptember 20, 2015
Enjoyable work place with an excellent management team. Always looking to improve the customer experience and staff knowledge. Salary is not important as the true value of the job is gaining management skills and learning how to work as a team. Unfortunately it does have some of the big company downfalls and is very limiting on opportunities to advance in the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is being part of team and problem solving.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Lack of opportunity to advance within the company
Fun work place at most times sometimes very challenging
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 6, 2016
A typical day at work included serving customers, lots of cleaning and sometimes included paperwork. When it came to serving customers it included interacting with the customers and slicing the deli meat to their expectations. This was my first job so i gained lots of experience working with the public and how to deal with a high stress environment. My favourite part of the job would probably be getting to work with my coworkers everyday. I made some of my best friends working there. The most challenging part of the job was when my main manager resigned and my assistant manager was put in charge in the mean time, i was a senior in the department and took over the responsibilities of the assistant. In the end i resigned because i was able to get full time at another job and they were unable to give that to me.
Aspiring and Fun stepping stone
Produce, Salad Girl (Former Employee) –  New Hamburg, ONAugust 1, 2016
I did not work much since i was a young high school student focusing on my grades. I would come in bright and early, do some data sheets, and begin chopping fruits and vegetables for the salads in produce. Not only did i chop fruits and salads, i made a variety of different healthy snacks, such as: Lunch packs, taco dip's, broccoli casserole, and prepared stir fry vegetables mixes. The work was time sensitive causing me to work fast and create a quick day. I took an hour for lunch. The hardest part of the job would have been keeping up with the busy pace of the customers enjoying my products; once a product purchased it needed to be replaced by myself. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been to learn so many different healthy alternative ways to eat.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
management
Ok place for a part-time job, impossible to get full-time
Front End Supervisor/Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fonthill, ONNovember 23, 2015
It's a good part-time job.

If you show good initiative and work ethic you will be rewarded with more hours.

Pay starts at minimum and really don't get any automatic scheduled raises.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Retail, poor pay, no full-time
Easy work environment
Cashier/Bagger (Carts) (Current Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONJune 30, 2016
I currently work for Sobeys, and I can say that it really isn't that bad of a job. The jobs I do are very easy, I just have to move quick. My co-workers are amazing people! I don't think I have ever worked with such great people in my life! I don't agree with some of the policies that upper management has for us, but these policies are put in place so that we ensure the customers have no complaints. This makes my job a little harder, but its nice to see the smile it puts on the customers face. The store managers are great and aren't hard on you. If you do your job right, and don't mind picking up a shift here and there, they can be very flexible with your hours. Overall, I have no major problems with this place and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Rude customers
great place to work for those with finite means
CASHIER (Grocery Clerk) (Current Employee) –  vancouver bcJuly 10, 2016
As an employee with about 15 to 20 years to offer and advanced in age, I am one of those with finite resources to offer an employer. If you were a highschool student or working student or perhaps someone of limited financial resources this is a great place to start a career. Limited by the collective agreement, the managers are agreeable and flexible, a bit too modern for me, and very forgiving. Today like all of Canada for the last 20 years, it is focused on providing equal opportunities to women, even if they are students who will very likely leave in one to five years, should they complete their education. Tolerance is perhaps key, and willingness to provide service. If you have unlimited means, you will see fault everywhere. The turnover will likely discourage you. And of course any or all of the above will temper your view.
Pros
tolerant environment, union, flexible scheduling
Cons
no clear path for advancement.
Fun workplace with enjoyable workers.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 21, 2016
I worked in the deli department. My manager was really good at her job and gave me great direction and trained me really well. I had to make sure everything was cleaned and sanitized especially when working with meat and cheese. I had to make trays and I had a specific deadline. I had to cut cheeses and meats for customers. I had to greet customers and ask them for their orders. I had to always clean once in a while to make sure there was no cross contamination. I had to open and close the deli department and make sure everything was prepped or put away and ready to go. It was hard when I had deadlines but I always made them and it was also hard when there was a lot of customers at once. I always kept calm and got to every customer.
Pros
Sobey's Club
Cons
No benefits
Productive, hands on learning approach and opportunities for growth.
Purchaser,. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 15, 2016
An opportunity for hands on learning approach, as well for growth. A great team oriented department. Tight knit group. I was given a chance and will always appreciate that. Managers were family oriented and empathetic to life's challenges outside of work.
Stress, at times was a part of your position,I learned the skills to handle it and get through it. Our team was our work family as well. . A chance to build relationships with vendors.

Higher ups were not transparent as they claimed to be. Disappointed in the end by a company that treated us like family to a company that was all about the bottom $.
Pros
Bonus for acquiring and maintaining a steady service level.
Cons
Laptop and mobile at home every night as well as every weekend.
Fun workplace, with poor managment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSNovember 19, 2015
Management takes advantage of their position, with a lot of politics and no benefits. But it can be a enjoyable place to work if you don't pay attention to the constant drama.
Pros
good break times
Cons
bad managment