Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,086 reviews matching the search
Very stressful environment and you are expected to do more work for less pay that is overloaded and barring.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 November 2016
Sobeys is a terrible company to work for as they are always looking to pinch their employees so they can save money. The workloads are very over-bearing and it does not support a very good team environment. Ungarunteed hours and most of your hard work goes unrecognized. I was also "let go" while on maternity leave, which is not legal. I never felt appreciated and there were no benefits, or incentive to take on the duties in which I was expected to do.
Pros
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
Cons
You get your minimum wage pay. Oh, and a box of chocolate at Christmas.
good place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
i really enjoyed working here while i was in high school! they were very good with scheduling me around my school and they really support people getting there education. everyone in my department got along really well and it was always fun! management is also really good! the store manager i had was really involved and actually got to know everyone who worked in the store and was always there to help when needed. the pay isn't that great and you don't get a raise very often but overall i really enjoyed working here
Pros
ALWAYS samples in lunch room, nice staff
Started out working for IGA as a student when I was 13. Worked my way up to become a meat Manager by the time I was 19.
Meat manager (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON3 January 2017
Great and fun place to work, met lots of great staff and customers over the years,

Great culture
Very friendly management
Great corporate structure
Lots of opportunities
Very good benefits
Well managed policy's and procedure

Team building
Coaching and leadership training
Fast pace, labour intensive environment with hard working colleagues.
Deli Clerk (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
If you are looking for new challenges and opportunities everyday in a labour intensive environment while working within team settings Sobeys is a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers, wonderful HR staff & store managers
Cons
Maximum of 32 hours for part-time staff, very limited pay raises, no employee discount
Great manager/bad management
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, NS24 November 2016
I really loved my department and managers of the department however the greater management of the business was fairly absent, although did show interest if % were low or complaints arose.
Pros
great customers, training provided, great of students, flexible with hours
Cons
low rate of pay, benefits not great
Simple and enjoyable work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON21 December 2016
Sobeys has employee benefits for those who qualify, along with pay increase ever 700 hours worked. Management is reliable and friendly. Work environment is well balanced and cheerful.
Pros
Flexible availability.
Cons
Lack of full time positions outside of management
Deli Manager, produce mgr, FE mgr, admn mgr (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS24 November 2016
I worked for this company for ovet 37 years and truly believe it is one of the best ompanies to work for. They care about their employers, there is lots of room for advancement, and they have great benefits .
productive workplace
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and Regina, SK2 September 2016
I enjoyed working at Sobeys in Calgary. I was there almost 2 years. I did not approve of some of the management whose behaviour was questionable.
When I would raise that concern with them, I felt that my voice was never being heard.
Pros
pleasant coworkers and customers
Cons
management could have used more professionalism
Fun workplace with enjoyable workers.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2016
I worked in the deli department. My manager was really good at her job and gave me great direction and trained me really well. I had to make sure everything was cleaned and sanitized especially when working with meat and cheese. I had to make trays and I had a specific deadline. I had to cut cheeses and meats for customers. I had to greet customers and ask them for their orders. I had to always clean once in a while to make sure there was no cross contamination. I had to open and close the deli department and make sure everything was prepped or put away and ready to go. It was hard when I had deadlines but I always made them and it was also hard when there was a lot of customers at once. I always kept calm and got to every customer.
Pros
Sobey's Club
Cons
No benefits
Hard work but friendly people
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 October 2016
Extremely fast paced and physically demanding. Great benefits and job security. Over 700 employees working on 3 shifts. Everyone was real easy to get along with.
Pros
Great wage and benefits
Cons
physically hard on the body
Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK6 December 2016
-Good work environment
-Fair enough management
-Customers interaction
-Helpful co-workers
-Staff events
-Benefits plan
Fun and Amazing People
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS9 January 2017
I loved the people I worked with but they kept telling me I was a few hours short of applying for benefits and I had been working there for over 6 years.
Pros
Fun people, Christmas Parties
Cons
Schedule sucks, Very strict on dress code.
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier/Deli Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2016
A typical day in the kitchen was to prepare the minimum daily standards. Check for expired products, rotate and fill shelves accordingly. Provide customers with our full abided attention and customer service. Ensure they have a positive experience with us as well as exchange knowledge of our products for a eat better, feel better, do better experience. Help coworkers during peak times. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co workers. The hardest but expected part of the job was during peak times and not having enough hands to ensure the customers are served within a timely manner.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No benefits
Productive and fast-paced working environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pictou, NS6 May 2016
Sobey's is a great place to work, especially the staff and managment. There is always a lot of production to be completed, as well as constant interaction with other customers and co-workers. There is always room for advancement in management, but it does take quite some time to get to a higher level. The hardest part about the job, would have to be a lot of heavy lifting. I enjoy the people I work with, as well as meeting new people every day. It gives me an experience to interact with others, as well as gain personal skills.
Pros
Medical/dental benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
productive, is very knowlegeable about their customers and store
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, ON1 April 2016
I have been working for almost a year and I have never had a bad experience working for this company. The workers and managers are excellent. The schedules are pretty much based around what you can work. They are a very flexible company. Honestly, Sobeys is a great place to work. Through my experience here I've learned to improve my time management skills. There is always a job. I believe the hardest part of the job is to always make a customer happy. Unfortunately you cannot make every single customer happy but you still should make the effort to try your best or to give other suggestions to make a better experience.
Pros
long hours, good salary, the people who work there
Cons
sometimes the customers
PArt time workers are underatted
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2017
Scheduling was very bad. Didn't treat employees properly. Didnt get good benefits. managers treat workers very poorly
Fun place to work
IT Developer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 September 2016
Pros:
Nice working environment;
People are friendly;
Management team is okay;
Good vacation days given

Cons:
Salary is lower than the market;
Bonus is so so
fun place to work
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB28 July 2016
great place to work, willing to work with staff for the hours and days off, worked as a team. Everyone was enjoyable the ambiance was great to work in worked hard and yet still had the time to have fun as we worked.
Pros
ambiance is great
Cons
no advancement or raises
Very repetitive and hard on the body
Front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE11 May 2016
I worked as a front end cashier at Sobeys. A regular work day consisted of constant customer service. Helping customers find products if they are having trouble, making them aware of sales in the store, returning products to their appropriate place in the store. Emptying garbage, keeping my work area clean and tidy, dealing with money, rain cheques, gift cards, etc. I helped out in the grocery department with stocking shelves and I also helped out at the courtesy desk periodically.
Pros
Sometimes free samples
Cons
Hard on the body from the repetitiveness, hard work with minimum pay and no benefits
Productive and fast pace workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 April 2016
The key trait that I learned from being a cashier at Sobeys was patience in dealing with all types of customers and learning how to provide the best possible customer service I can. Being an individual who makes friends quite easily has helped me to develop trusting and special relationships with my colleagues that have helped me to enjoy my job. The most difficult aspect of being a cashier at sobeys has been being in stressful situations involving unhappy customers and learning from experience how to calmly handle each unique situation.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
no benefits