Sobeys Employee Review

Learned lots of customer service skills and safe work habits
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Wallaceburg, ON9 October 2013
Typical Day at work;
- Prepare pizzas ,wraps and subs,
take people orders( slicing deli meats)
help prepare sample trays
when business was slow we would clean and do inventory

I learned about safe lifting ,I also Learned safe knife handling and food handling,inventory (counting items, taking expired things off of the shelf ), Good customer service skills and how to deal with unhappy customers.

My managers and co workers were very nice understanding and easy to work with :)

Hardest Part of my job was remembering some of the codes for the deli meats but after a while you just remember it becasue It was a popular item.

Most enjoyable part was talking to the customers helping them anyway I was able to and my coworkers they made the job fun while being professional.
Pros
Flexible hours, lots of training, patient co workers
Cons
It was only for the summer

Other Sobeys Employee Reviews

Constant Churn in Strategy and restructuring
Senior Director Merch Bakery (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2017
Love the potential of the company but it no longer loves you back (too large of a company now- textbook HR department that is predatory).
They always had the right cast but the wrong script.
I shudder when I think of the current talent they are restructuring out of and who they are replacing them with.
Disloyal to legacy employees who literally built them.
They have become the typical cold faceless corporate monolith with an artificial engagement culture and no real P2P love for each other.
Current restructuring will end and another will begin in 18 months.
People that work in the retail stores are inundated with redundant rules and protocols they must follow that directly interfere with running a food store. This happens when you eliminate true subject matter experts and replace them with decorative wall degrees.
Elimination of independent thinkers and promotion of robotic yes men will produce typical results.
They have failed to create an identity for themselves in the customers eye and usually default to the road easiest travelled, copying trends and products that perceived industry leaders implement.
They have eliminated or diminished the true leaders they have, and replaced them with cheerleaders that are ill advised by incompetent but well placed individuals that should have been purged years ago.
BOD is too cautious and conservative to take the necessary steps to change this historic company, I cant help but imagine that it will be sold off to a European or American retailer within the next 5 years.
Pros
Wonderful History but poorly leveraged
Cons
Eastern Canadian Company run by people who want it to be Loblaws
still currently workng
Deli and Floral clerk and cashier (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON12 November 2017
sobeys is an amazing part time job, its lovely to interract qith customers daily. just seeing them happy wth your work is amazing. curretnly part time student working 4-5hrs shift 2-3 times a week
Pros
possitive enviroment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.