Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

Fast Work Fun , Something You can take enjoyment out of working.
Forklift Operator Wear House (Former Employee) –  Debert, NSAugust 9, 2016
Building Pallets and driving the fork lift or pallets jacks , you had to pick count on a week base overall count from your five days of picking pallets for stores. Management Was pretty good overall other then head office which didnt really see the work that was being done and how well. The Hardest part of the job was trying to push your own numbers trying to show that you can pick the best numbers in the plant.
Pros
Bounces if trucks were done on time or early
Cons
If people were slacking and bring down every ones numbers
Great learning experience
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Paris, ONAugust 16, 2016
As Sobeys being my first form of employment, I was not only shown basic cash and customer service skills but gained knowledge on working for a large company and the positions within. With food safety being the main priority I was taught extensive cleaning and safety measures. I have had the pleasure of serving small town clientele that are usually a lot more amicable and courteous which results in an overall pleasant work experience.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Limited room for growth
Productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, ABAugust 16, 2016
A typical day at work was standing around, ringing peoples groceries through. I learned some important social skills and how to multitask more easily. Management was friendly and taught me well. I got along with most of my coworkers. The hardest part of the job was probably when the sore was bus and I either ran out of bags or the computer froze. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiling, satisfied customer leaving the store.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONAugust 14, 2016
cashier

i would scan items in order for people to pay for them and handle cash at various times throughout my shift. When there was a break in a rush we would have to clean our areas and invite people to come to our checkout.

The co workers were nice and fun to work with, but the managers were tolerable and i listened to them every time they gave orders, they were just not nice at many times
Pros
good work environment
Great family dynamic
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONJune 29, 2016
It was like working with a family everyone is very friendly and helpful, team work is a huge part of the company. And customers seemed to have a good experience throughout the store. Always went out of their way to make employees feel important by having us choose our fellow co-workers who desire to be appreciated within each department. Also having employee lunch's where food is provided and games.
Most amazing job I've had yet
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJune 15, 2016
From the managers to my fellow lower employees, everyone was wonderful. The entire crew was helpful and nice, but knew when to crack down and be serious. I loved working there and I miss it so.
My day was a set schedule of opening with pizzas, then sandwiches, then hot foods, all with serving customers between. I learned so much regarding how to handle foods, how to deal with customers, and how to do book work and keeping. The hardest part of my job was when a lunch rush or event was going on, attempting to serve customers and doing your daily tasks was a handful, but we always got it done. I loved every part of my job.
Cons
mario
Easy work environment
Cashier/Bagger (Carts) (Current Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONJune 30, 2016
I currently work for Sobeys, and I can say that it really isn't that bad of a job. The jobs I do are very easy, I just have to move quick. My co-workers are amazing people! I don't think I have ever worked with such great people in my life! I don't agree with some of the policies that upper management has for us, but these policies are put in place so that we ensure the customers have no complaints. This makes my job a little harder, but its nice to see the smile it puts on the customers face. The store managers are great and aren't hard on you. If you do your job right, and don't mind picking up a shift here and there, they can be very flexible with your hours. Overall, I have no major problems with this place and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Rude customers
Productive and adaptable tasks
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 10, 2016
Its challenging when it comes to all the cleaning, but it keeps me very busy! The co-workers I work with are great as well as the management. I enjoy engaging with the customers at Sobey's while i'm still finishing a task or project the most. When customers ask about certain pastries, food, cakes, or products that we sell in Sobey's I like to help them find what they are looking for and if I can't I will ask someone in another department so the customer is satisfied.
Enjoyable work place in a fast-paced environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Paris, ONJune 10, 2016
Aside from dealing with the odd nasty customer who is inpatient and unappreciative of the work done as a cashier,the job and customers were quite good. Management is great - mostly understanding and accommodating. Hardest part of the job was probably starting customer service and learning to multitask. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with great friends and getting to know the members of the community since I worked in a small town Sobeys.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Customers can be quite rude
Fun workplace with enjoyable workers.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 21, 2016
I worked in the deli department. My manager was really good at her job and gave me great direction and trained me really well. I had to make sure everything was cleaned and sanitized especially when working with meat and cheese. I had to make trays and I had a specific deadline. I had to cut cheeses and meats for customers. I had to greet customers and ask them for their orders. I had to always clean once in a while to make sure there was no cross contamination. I had to open and close the deli department and make sure everything was prepped or put away and ready to go. It was hard when I had deadlines but I always made them and it was also hard when there was a lot of customers at once. I always kept calm and got to every customer.
Pros
Sobey's Club
Cons
No benefits
Aspiring and Fun stepping stone
Produce, Salad Girl (Former Employee) –  New Hamburg, ONAugust 1, 2016
I did not work much since i was a young high school student focusing on my grades. I would come in bright and early, do some data sheets, and begin chopping fruits and vegetables for the salads in produce. Not only did i chop fruits and salads, i made a variety of different healthy snacks, such as: Lunch packs, taco dip's, broccoli casserole, and prepared stir fry vegetables mixes. The work was time sensitive causing me to work fast and create a quick day. I took an hour for lunch. The hardest part of the job would have been keeping up with the busy pace of the customers enjoying my products; once a product purchased it needed to be replaced by myself. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been to learn so many different healthy alternative ways to eat.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
management
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier/Deli Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 6, 2016
A typical day in the kitchen was to prepare the minimum daily standards. Check for expired products, rotate and fill shelves accordingly. Provide customers with our full abided attention and customer service. Ensure they have a positive experience with us as well as exchange knowledge of our products for a eat better, feel better, do better experience. Help coworkers during peak times. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co workers. The hardest but expected part of the job was during peak times and not having enough hands to ensure the customers are served within a timely manner.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No benefits
Productive, hands on learning approach and opportunities for growth.
Purchaser,. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 15, 2016
An opportunity for hands on learning approach, as well for growth. A great team oriented department. Tight knit group. I was given a chance and will always appreciate that. Managers were family oriented and empathetic to life's challenges outside of work.
Stress, at times was a part of your position,I learned the skills to handle it and get through it. Our team was our work family as well. . A chance to build relationships with vendors.

Higher ups were not transparent as they claimed to be. Disappointed in the end by a company that treated us like family to a company that was all about the bottom $.
Pros
Bonus for acquiring and maintaining a steady service level.
Cons
Laptop and mobile at home every night as well as every weekend.
Positive work environment with friendly staff
Cashier/ Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 1, 2016
A excellent part time job that provides you with opportunities to learn and develop other skills that allow for growth in any position that you are in. Rewarding and satisfying work when dealing with customer service issues and other day to day tasks. A typical day consists of handling responsibilities such as dealing with large amounts of cash, respectively and efficiently ringing through customers and maintaining a clean and orderly workplace.
Pros
Friendly staff, Positive environment and satisfying work.
Cons
Can occasionally be strenuous on legs and back
Fun environment/work place to work at
Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Acton, ONMay 23, 2016
Although the long hours suck and you don't get any discounts, the people I usually work with are really nice ad the manager of the deli is quite understanding. She allows you to talk to her about anything and she is there to listen to everything you have to say. I like the fact that when I need time off, I get it off and I have become a very loyal employ and I have overall become a great person to be around due to the family of loving and caring employee's that I have worked with in the Deli at Acton Sobeys
Pros
the people that work with you and along with you are really nice
Cons
Long hours, No discounts
Good platform for students to start on, however...
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMay 24, 2016
The job is simple and straightforward. At certain times you would have to lift heavy boxes and pick up heavy items in order to clean. Job becomes mundane after a while since every day is pretty much identical with minimal change. Expect to clean a lot, meaning the entire facility. Management is not the best. Co-workers are much better than the management though, so there is solace in that.
Pros
Cons
mundane work
Friendly people makes an enjoyable place to work
HMR hot foods (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 18, 2016
I find working in the HMR department to be a good place to work. The staff is friendly and I have learned so much. I know how to make all the hot foods in the Home Meal Replacement, from the chickens to the wedges, tenders, wings and sides. The manager in HMR is a very nice person and open to suggestions. For me the hardest part of the job is remembering all the codes and different things to cook, but I think I have it almost done pat. I find serving the customers my most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Always something to do.
Cons
Haven't discovered the cons yet.
Overall a good place to work.
Intermediate Business Technologist (Former Employee) –  Saanichton, BCMay 17, 2016
Working with Sobeys was mostly a positive experience. In the beginning there were lots of opportunities to further personal development, but as time went on those opportunities became less and less. The environment provided a great team experience as well as excellent direct supervision. I learned a lot from my team members and supervisors.
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
Lack of leadership from execuative
Very repetitive and hard on the body
Front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEMay 11, 2016
I worked as a front end cashier at Sobeys. A regular work day consisted of constant customer service. Helping customers find products if they are having trouble, making them aware of sales in the store, returning products to their appropriate place in the store. Emptying garbage, keeping my work area clean and tidy, dealing with money, rain cheques, gift cards, etc. I helped out in the grocery department with stocking shelves and I also helped out at the courtesy desk periodically.
Pros
Sometimes free samples
Cons
Hard on the body from the repetitiveness, hard work with minimum pay and no benefits
Good company, good benefits
Cash Office Supervisor/baker/cake decorator (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NBJune 14, 2016
I had a good 21 years at Sobeys. It was a good work environment for the most part. It was most definitely a good learning experience for me as it gave me a lot of computer, and customer service experience that has and will most definitely continue to benefit me in my life.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough full time positions available