Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

Energetic atmosphere with great co workers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 28, 2016
I liked opening up and being first on the cash register. The quiet before the busy day was really relaxing. But I will say that the hardest part of the job was standing up for hours when the lines wouldn't stop.
Pros
Two lunch breaks.
Cons
Standing on feet for long hours.
very fun place to work
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tormore, ONMay 25, 2016
Sobeys is a very fun place to work, everyone is friendly, and they give you the days off that you need, Co-works are happy to help when you have a problem.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
Slow paced but easy going
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 25, 2016
My job at Sobeys was a very boring and repetitive job. Learned mostly about customer service. The individuals I worked with were very easy going but slow paced. I would like to work in a more fast paced environment to build my skills as a worker.
good friends
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 25, 2016
Not for me anymore. Management has ruined the moral of this huge company and i need a change, We are all just numbers and not people. I had a passion for working for this company but would rather work in a caring company.
Good platform for students to start on, however...
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMay 24, 2016
The job is simple and straightforward. At certain times you would have to lift heavy boxes and pick up heavy items in order to clean. Job becomes mundane after a while since every day is pretty much identical with minimal change. Expect to clean a lot, meaning the entire facility. Management is not the best. Co-workers are much better than the management though, so there is solace in that.
Pros
Cons
mundane work
Positive but Disorganized
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 18, 2016
I started working part-time in the bakery shortly after I began my first semester at college. After baking for Tim Hortons for nearly three years prior to this job, it seemed like a vacation getaway in comparison. 30 minutes for lunch? Not having to strategically plan out bathroom breaks? It was like a dream come true.

Alas, all shops have their problems and Sobeys is no exception. I'm very fortunate to be a quick learner, and someone who is confident in my decisions. My training was very brief and unfortunately I had to make a lot of educated guesses as to how things should be done when I was working by myself. After being there for over a year, I'm 100% comfortable with any task I should happen to carry out, but the first couple of months were interesting. I see this trend continue as I train new employees, and have taken it upon myself to type up instructions or reminders to make the process of closing easier for the poor 16 year-olds who have only had 3 training shifts (closers work alone.)

Selling specialty items is my favourite part of this job, especially helping customers order their ideal cakes and desserts based on the occasion. It allows me to talk to the customer, offering them ideas and explaining what we're able to do for them in terms of custom desserts; it's quite fun, really. I've asked to be trained on actual cake decorating many times, but for now I just write on birthday cakes when requested.

The job as a whole is physically demanding but nothing I can't handle. I feel accomplished at the end of the day, knowing I've put in the effort and I've
  more... left the department in better shape than I found it. My biggest criticism would be that the bakery is the only department in our store that leaves a single person to close shop every night. If it's busy and customers are approaching me often, then there's simply no chance of leaving when I'm scheduled to. I often cannot take my breaks and stay 30 minutes - 1 hour late in an attempt to get everything done.

Tensions are high in the bakery due to the shortage of hours....Sobeys likes to hire many people and give them 12 hrs/week instead of a couple full-time employees. This makes consistency nearly impossible and honestly, it's frustrating that the company is willing to do this instead of just giving their long-time workers enough hours to earn a living because they're too cheap to give us benefits. I need another part-time job (or completely different full-time job) just to pay the rent.

Overall it's not a bad job at all. My co-workers are really positive and friendly, and I feel safe within my workplace.
Pros
Good environment, nice customers, fun job, tasty samples.
Cons
Not enough hours, disorganized, "fend for yourself" atmosphere.
Friendly people makes an enjoyable place to work
HMR hot foods (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 18, 2016
I find working in the HMR department to be a good place to work. The staff is friendly and I have learned so much. I know how to make all the hot foods in the Home Meal Replacement, from the chickens to the wedges, tenders, wings and sides. The manager in HMR is a very nice person and open to suggestions. For me the hardest part of the job is remembering all the codes and different things to cook, but I think I have it almost done pat. I find serving the customers my most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Always something to do.
Cons
Haven't discovered the cons yet.
Overall a good place to work.
Intermediate Business Technologist (Former Employee) –  Saanichton, BCMay 17, 2016
Working with Sobeys was mostly a positive experience. In the beginning there were lots of opportunities to further personal development, but as time went on those opportunities became less and less. The environment provided a great team experience as well as excellent direct supervision. I learned a lot from my team members and supervisors.
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
Lack of leadership from execuative
easy job
Admin/ Seafood clerk (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 16, 2016
dealing with customer everyday makes the job exciting, make a customer happy brings great joy. Some manager are easier than other to work for and co workers make it fun place to be
Experience at Sobey
Bakery (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 16, 2016
My experience at Sobeys wasn't that good. I didn't get a lot of hours, wasn't a very nice environment to be around. I did learn a lot like how to deal with difficult situations, how to close...etc. My co-workers were all rude and would talk behind everyone's back. The hardest part of my job would've been trying to make donuts perfect. And, the most enjoyable was working with cakes and lots of nice costumers.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
No hours
Very repetitive and hard on the body
Front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEMay 11, 2016
I worked as a front end cashier at Sobeys. A regular work day consisted of constant customer service. Helping customers find products if they are having trouble, making them aware of sales in the store, returning products to their appropriate place in the store. Emptying garbage, keeping my work area clean and tidy, dealing with money, rain cheques, gift cards, etc. I helped out in the grocery department with stocking shelves and I also helped out at the courtesy desk periodically.
Pros
Sometimes free samples
Cons
Hard on the body from the repetitiveness, hard work with minimum pay and no benefits
Corporate Great, Franchise Bad
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMay 11, 2016
Sobeys was a fantastic place to work and shop, as many customers were happy to tell but went downhill with franchising .
Coworkers were fantastic, management became frazzled trying to please the owners. The repeat customers were wonderful and validating where ownership lacked.
Pros
Corporate ownership
Cons
Franchising, Micromanaging
Fun, fast paced environment, well managed
Front End Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 9, 2016
Sobeys Inc. has been a very enjoyable work place. A typical day at work requires me to be on the floor 10 minutes before my scheduled time to be sure that I'm prepared for my day. I must have a pen and a clean work station as well as to be dressed appropriately. I serve countless people in the run of a day(which is typically between 6 and 8 hours). I have learned many techniques for problem solving. My management makes sure that we have monthly meetings to discuss progress and problems and to make sure we are all on the same page and come up with solutions. My co-workers and I all get along wonderfully and we always try to help one another when need be. It is an amazing work environment to be in. The hardest part of my job is most definitely trying to cope with the elderly customers we get who are beginning to suffer from dementia. It hurts to watch them struggle to remember their bank information. The most enjoyable would probably be the general contact I have with the public. I very much so enjoy polite conversation.
Ok
Produce Clerk, Cashier, Courtesy Staff, Janitor (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONMay 9, 2016
I am over it and need something that is engaging and not boring or pays better. That's it, That's all, had fun and need to move on now.
Team Lead
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
Awesome place to work. Provided help and customer service. Managed team of 10 to complete renovations. GReat place to work. Amazing people to work with.
amazing company, workers who care, opportunities to try new food
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NBMay 9, 2016
You are always trying new food, learning about the job, how to deal with a returned item, seeing regular customers and being able to make customers happy to try new food.
Pros
taste testing on new products.
Cons
standing in one position for a long period of time.
It was a blast!
CASHIER/ CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2016
Busy hours like lunch time and dinner time will drain you out but if you enjoy talking and getting to know your customers, it can be a great experience and it makes the time go by fast. Scheduling is always two weeks ahead so make sure that when you book off, book off as early as you can. Changes in management during my time there made policies and routines all messed up but it worked out well and is still in the process of stability.
Great Work Place
Cashier and Selfserve Operator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 6, 2016
I very much enjoy this job, however the management can be very unfair and favorable. After months of asking I have seen other people being trained on the position I have wanted and have not been told a reason as to why I cannot be trained. My days are usually very enjoyable, even when there is a problem with a customer my supervisors are always there to help me if I need it. My coworkers are great, they are pretty much my second family outside of the work place. They are also very helpful whenever I need them at work. The most enjoyable part of this job is helping customers. Overall for a part time job, it has been very great!
Pros
Great Coworkers, very accepting of time off when needed
Cons
management is not fair
Clean friendly environment
Seafood Clerk (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 5, 2016
Sobeys is an excellent company to work for part time. The management is fantastic and the work environment is very pleasing.
Professional environment that requires the ability to work independently
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 4, 2016
Typically, shifts varies between 6 to 8.5 hours long. During this time, the main responsibility consists of the restocking of fruits and vegetables (as well as other products such as salad dressings, juice, etc.) at the front as required. Additionally, the cleanliness of the front must also be maintained, which requires an hourly check for debris on the floor, and (if needed) sweeping. Additionally, around 7:00 p.m., certain vegetables must be trimmed (as to prepare the vegetable for stocking tomorrow). These vegetables mainly include lettuce and celery. Lastly, for evening shifts, the produce worker is responsible for closing. This includes the retrieval of the vegetables at the to the storage cooler, and the cleaning of the storage cooler and the kitchen area.
In general, the work is enjoyable. Since the work often demands the employee to work independently, a strong sense of accomplishment is derived from successfully managing the produce section of the store.
Pros
Work procedures are relatively easy to learn
Cons
Long hours, which may interfere with schoolwork during the school year