Sobeys Employee Reviews

good work place, fun people
Deli Clerk/ala carte (Former Employee) –  Gimli, MBSeptember 22, 2016
It was a good job and im glad i got the opportunity to work there. Everyone was nice and was hard workers, and everyone did everything. i really liked how it was not the same exact thing every shift.
Pros
the breaks, employees, great work enviroment, workers are friendly
Cons
tight spaces in the department
Peaceful environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2016
Peaceful environment, co-workers help each other, gave me experience with costumer service, as a cashier as well. The hardest part was work until late hours. new schedule every week.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 21, 2016
- Great place to work.
- Exactly as expected after getting hired
- Vibrant Environment
- Very Clean and Prioritized to stay so.
- Many potential for Advancement, and opportunities
Pros
50%
It's great place to work for vary possessive and active people
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONSeptember 19, 2016
Sobeys is a great place for work , all the members are so cooperative, helpful and hardworking , i personally really enjoy working with them best wishes to them in future too .
Pros
hard working, cooperative and positive environment
Cons
less hours to employees
Great Place to Work
Produce Crew/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 15, 2016
The manager I worked with was awesome! She motivates and encourages her employees. Job was good and pay is not bad either. For casual employees, you get a flexible schedule and that's a big thing for me at that time.
Pros
Flexible schedule for casual employees
Tedious, repetitive
Deli Server (Former Employee) –  Blenheim, ONSeptember 15, 2016
start after school around 4-9
summer 3-9

Clean and sanitize meat slicers
clean and sanitize counters
clean display case, windows and inside
dishes
sweep/mop
serve customers,
operate slicers
slice cheese and meat, different slicers
wrap meats at the end of the night
take garbage to the back when called a certain code

Paid bi-weekly
Pros
coupons, working with the public, decent hours
Cons
working with difficult customers, not very good training
Fun to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 14, 2016
I have been cashiering for a while so it wasn't really a big deal for me. But I have learned things like products, produce. I have learned how to be patient for costumers especially in busy moments.
Pros
Free uniforms.
Cons
adjustible working hours.
great place with great co-workers
Support the physical activities associated (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONSeptember 14, 2016
it was a great place to work. fellow co-workers and mangement were very nice to work with and work for. The monthly lunches plus the summer picnics and xmas parties were great to attend. This company has so of the best equipment and state of the art tech to work with.
Pros
monthly lunches
Cons
weekend shifts always
Productive and enjoyable workplace.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSSeptember 14, 2016
I've gained experience and knowledge with Sobeys on how to deal with customers and other co -workers, and the essential skills on how to be a great cashier and overall employee.
Temporary employment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSSeptember 12, 2016
Temporary employment until job opportunities in trade. Friendly staff. Currently applying to other opportunities for jobs.
Pros
Wages
good place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 7, 2016
i really enjoyed working here while i was in high school! they were very good with scheduling me around my school and they really support people getting there education. everyone in my department got along really well and it was always fun! management is also really good! the store manager i had was really involved and actually got to know everyone who worked in the store and was always there to help when needed. the pay isn't that great and you don't get a raise very often but overall i really enjoyed working here
Pros
ALWAYS samples in lunch room, nice staff
Fun work place at most times sometimes very challenging
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 6, 2016
A typical day at work included serving customers, lots of cleaning and sometimes included paperwork. When it came to serving customers it included interacting with the customers and slicing the deli meat to their expectations. This was my first job so i gained lots of experience working with the public and how to deal with a high stress environment. My favourite part of the job would probably be getting to work with my coworkers everyday. I made some of my best friends working there. The most challenging part of the job was when my main manager resigned and my assistant manager was put in charge in the mean time, i was a senior in the department and took over the responsibilities of the assistant. In the end i resigned because i was able to get full time at another job and they were unable to give that to me.
Terrible Store Manager
Baker (Former Employee) –  St. Clair BeachSeptember 6, 2016
Sobeys may seem like a good place for a starter job, but it isn't ideal for a full career. Without a Union, the employee is subject to termination at any point for bogus reasons. In my case I was terminated for reasons made up by the Store Manager. When I attempted to appeal my dismissal, the Store Manager did nothing.
Pros
easy hire
Cons
low pay, poor management
Good people, Hard work, Bad managment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONSeptember 5, 2016
A typical day at work at Sobeys would be. Arrive and punch in, go to my department and check for a list that my manager would have left for me. Often times my manager wouldn't leave me anything. We'd fill up the floor and then receive the order for the day. then we would clean till the end of our shifts. On this job I learned Tricks on how to make vegetables look fresher. The management sucked. My manager was a never around and never pushed us to work harder. The store manager was mean person he was never satisfied he'd tell us to work on something that didn't need working on and then yell at us for letting other stuff go down. My co-workers were really good people i had a very good time getting to know them. The hardest part was unloading big orders, our cooler was pretty small and our orders were generally big so it made unloading pretty difficult and stressful. The most enjoyable part was getting to know everyone they were good people i still keep in touch with even though I don't work there anymore.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks
Cons
Early 6am shifts
fun and loving place to work
Seafood Manager (Current Employee) –  Conception Bay South, NLSeptember 5, 2016
Working as a seafood manager is an amazing experience. I love working for sobeys, its like one big family there. Their os many pros and cons with working with sobeys.
Pros
staff are willing in work with your schedule
Cons
if a worker calls in sick having to stay late
My experience
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2016
My coworker - the cashiers - were all happy to be there, quite funny and hard working. Overall, I enjoyed my time at Sobey's.
Pros
i got money
Cons
i lost my job
Great place for a first job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKSeptember 3, 2016
A typical day consisted of bagging groceries, sweeping the floor, cleaning up dropped product and restocking shelves. Management was great, the store operated smoothly.
Good place to work!
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 3, 2016
Co-workers are helpful
It is friendly environment to work in.
Typical busy days so time pass fast.
Working in Sobeys was a constant learning experience, meeting new faces, understanding who was who and being attentive was the absolute priority.
productive workplace
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and Regina, SKSeptember 2, 2016
I enjoyed working at Sobeys in Calgary. I was there almost 2 years. I did not approve of some of the management whose behaviour was questionable.
When I would raise that concern with them, I felt that my voice was never being heard.
Pros
pleasant coworkers and customers
Cons
management could have used more professionalism
productive and on the go work place
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABAugust 31, 2016
bagging groceries, collecting carts and baskets. co-workers are friendly and hard-working, the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and talking to customers. hardest part of the job is dealing with the busy times because sobey's gets busy at different times throughout the day.
Pros
you would get free food in the lunch room occasionally
Cons
shifts are hard to get