Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,174 reviews matching the search
Work was hard and labourious
Front-end Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB10 March 2017
I put many hours into a company that never recognized me for what I was able to do for them. I learned that they never played fair in decisions made and that my experience meant nothing to them.
Hardest part of the job was when I had to leave on my own terms because I was set up to fail.
The only enjoyable part of the job was decorating cakes and dealing with customer relations for the bakery.
Pros
store discount
Cons
long horrible hours working for ungrateful people that always managed to get ahead.
Relaxing work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL26 February 2017
I worked for this company for 20+ years and found it to be a good place to work. They treat their employees well, fair and I have never heard tell of anyone getting fired. They take customer service very seriously. I can always count on them for good customer service. They have good work culture such as having a TV for watching hockey games, etc.
Pros
Free food samples to show appreciation
Cons
Standing all day, sitting not allowed on checkouts for cashiers with osteoarthritis in their knees or hips.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 March 2017
A typical day at Sobey's is pretty basic, you have your great customers who make your shift that much better, and you have your difficult customers who make things a little more rough.
This specific store, there's not too much room for advancement.
With Sobey's, they who have seniority have much more leniance, even if they're hurting the company, and it's very frustrating for the newer workers.
Pros
Benefits, Great Customer Service
Cons
Hard to advance, seniority is huge
A job not recommended.. find any other place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON23 February 2017
Management and higher don't care about us as employees

Toxic and unfriendly work environment, very few of the employees enjoy coming to work anymore

Poor hours and pay is not that great, chances for a raise is nearly impossible

No room to grow or advance

Not about quality of work out of employees just about how long you've been there and how much you kiss managements butts .. hard work doesn't pay off at all

We had to pay for our dinner at Christmas and they called it a "Christmas party" at a restaurant half of the people couldn't get to because they don't drive
Pros
Shifts do end
Cons
No sense of engagement for staff
Good place to work but management isn't always professional
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 February 2017
Sobeys was a fun place to work and although management was friendly, they weren't always professional. Why would you hire someone in high school to be a supervisor? Also they shouldn't tell you what you do wrong in front of customers. They should wait till the customers leave, then tell us. Either than that, it was a good job.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Not enough hours, management isn't always professional, no employee discount
fast pace
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON4 March 2017
I liked the job itself, however there was a lot to be done in a very small time frame and became very overwhelming. Management needed to hire more staff to relieve the stress on existing workers. Often had to do a lot of over time just to get done the basic jobs. After a month management couldn't understand why I wasn't as fast as another worker who had been there for nearly 10 years. Was told I would be making more than minimum wage but that was not the case.
No place for career.
Retail Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  HRM,NS15 February 2017
I trained to be a Butcher/Meat Cutter at Sobeys eventually working in most of their stores in HRM throughout a almost nine year career.
I cant call it a career because they never paid me more than 9.50 per hour or hired me full time but I was good enough to work in most of theirs within HRM and outskirts?

I quit working for Sobeys when less experienced boys were hired full time over me with less training and experience, at Sobeys its more important who you know rather than being a dedicated hard working employee.

Be smart stay in school and get a real career!
Pros
It was great at first, but when you cant pay your bills...
Cons
No money, under paid
Safe, fun environment, and Great staff
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
Every morning the employees would sign in at the start of their shift. Than we grab a power jack or fork lift next we start on our work orders. There is always a supervisor on the floor or the main desk in the warehouse is always open for questions and help. Work in the warehouse is enjoyable the hardest part is keeping up with delivering orders on time. I like to finish my orders on time and I like working under low supervision.
learned alot but hard environment to work in
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB31 January 2017
mostly cake decorating at the moment and in the backery. work y myself most of time

learned how to decorate cakes, package all bakery products

direct management is reliable and knowledgable, store management is underqualified and exceptionally hard to work for

department segregation seems the norm

unpredictability of hours and shifts

like the people i work with and the customer relations, enjoy ability to be creative with the cakes
Pros
early off hours
Cons
unpredictibility
Structured work place allowing a chance to move up, lacked proper training, and did very little to maintain employees.
Assistant Manager, Seafood Department (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 January 2017
Emphasized on chances to move up, lacked proper training, management rotation not advanced to its full potential, typically worked alone during the day as the department was small, the culture was very strict, making hard to work with positive energy, hardest part of the job would be to have a unskilled supervisor, most enjoyable part of the job, i got to work alone.

Want to know more about Sobeys?

Ask a question
Personally I feel I was asked to do too much for the little time I had
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2017
Some days would be light work, then other days it would be hectic but I was able to finish my work every shift. Depending on what department you're in, some of the management were horrendous and did little to no work which angered most of the workers in said departments. The workplace could be fun at times depending on who was working at the time. The job demanded too much for the little pay I received. At first I didn't mind the work, but as I neared a year I hated going into work.
Productive and amicable work environment.
Shipper/Receiver/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON23 January 2017
The jobs diversity from the suppliers to the drivers creates stimulation and makes every day different and challenging. Staff are motivating and encouraging. I enjoyed the challenges that were put forth every day and the supervisors did a great job making sure that things ran smoothly. If ever there was a conflict on the work orders, I knew that I could approach them easily and felt confident that I could work through the problems and have them corrected within a timely fashion.
Pros
Pleasant work environment.
Cons
Distance.
clean, safe and friendly work environment.
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baker Drive, NS8 March 2017
A typical shift at Sobeys ranged from a calm slow shift to steady work flow during peak customer shopping hours.

All staff was very friendly and I found it easy to make workplace friends quickly.Managers were clear in giving instruction to department workers and all needs and safety training/equipment was provided by Sobeys.

During my time at Sobeys, I learned/improved many new skills such as

- safe food handling
- communication
- maintaining a clean and safe work environment
- working with customers to meet their need(s).

Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting customers and seeing that all their needs are met.

Least enjoyable part was throwing out waste.
Pros
Friendly and safe work environment.
Cons
Poor marketing techniques and advertising
Great place to learn customer service skills
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2017
Typical day is well balanced between people and work. Our front end manager is great and helpful. Everyone gets along and helps each other out. I enjoy being around everyone and being able to converse with people who come into the store. The hardest part of the job is having to find things to do on slow days to prepare the store for people to come in and shop happily and efficiently.
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2017
A typical day at work involves data analysis, building/maintaining data and excel templates, responding to ad hoc queries and involvement in process improvement activities. I have added a new business intelligence tool to my portfolio of data analysis software. Management is flexible and approachable whilst constantly encouraging staff to use initiatives to solve problems. My co workers are fantastic team players. The hardest part of the job is predicting economic impacts on the financials.
The most enjoyable part is resolving queries / exceeding customer expectations and receiving recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
late hours
worked alone and was able to do all i needed to do
Shipper and Receiver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 January 2017
set up my double pallet jack and sign into the Loblaw computer headset, once signed in i would start by picking orders and place merchandise on my pallet, putting them in the shipper/receiving bay,
Would start the next order and continue the same thing till all the pieces and orders were picked for that day
Pros
worked alone
Cons
unfair expectations on pick order speed
It was OK.
frontend service clerk (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL1 January 2017
It over all would end up to be ok. The place I worked had a bit of a boss that was extreme to be precise and the job i had was demanding at best. Being that i had to handle everything on the outside of the building right down to the gravel on the parking lot then getting scolded for not being able to make up for others not doing their share was rough and trying not to get sick for being around everyone in the area as well as bad weather but it was work. so all in all it was ok.
Pros
Decent pay for full time.
Cons
no positive reinforcement from management and barely enough hours to make quota.
Easy going place to work at.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 March 2017
Simple job being a cashier, besides when it was busy, obviously. I enjoyed it but having to bag groceries sucked when people wanted it a specific way and some customers were really rude but it happens everywhere else. The management were rude whenever I had to call in, even when I brought in a doctor's note and after that I was treated differently.
Pros
extra $1 on sundays
Cons
Managment
I had fun working there, it was a positive experience.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2017
I had only worked 8 months but in that time I made many friends there. I was trained by just about everybody there everyday to be a better employee. The job was fun and there was always something that needed to be done which kept me busy and helped pass the time for my shifts.
The patrons weren't very polite and would often harass employees by slamming their carts into the cashier stands,and or insulting them But that was about the only bad thing about working there, although that was due to the location of the building. management was reasonable, schedules were reasonable, shift hours were reasonable, i didn't have much to complain about. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Nice staff, excellent training, reasonable hours and scheduling.
Cons
bad patrons and location.
Okay starting job.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Angus, ON5 January 2017
I liked the people I worked with for the most part and I like some of the management it was truly what you made of it.

A typical day is basically going in throwing up stock and other little things, pretty basic stuff.

Co-Workers were pretty middle of the road in terms of enjoyability
Pros
If you can find people you enjoy working with it makes the job better.
Cons
No discount, management can be condescending.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.