Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

The best working place ever .
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 26, 2016
It is a good place for work. It also helps to improve the speaking skills. Give the knowledge about the customers and their new demands.
Pros
FREE LUNCH
Cons
NOTHING
Enjoyable work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2016
I have learned a lot from interacting with so many people during my shift. It was a very fun experience working with Sobeys. My co-workers were very supportive and fun of working with.
Pros
interact with people
Cons
basic salary
work atmosphere was good. got along with other employees
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJuly 24, 2016
Environment was upbeat, co-workers were easy to get along with.
restocking produce was a new challenge and I enjoyed it. I learned how to tell the difference with fruits and veggies.
Pros
learning about fruits and veggies
Cons
wage too low
It's a good company
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2016
I love to communicate with people because it is an eazy way to improve my English.I would like to work more hours or a full time job
New budgets
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ONJuly 20, 2016
The business has new budgets and has under gone some management restructuring.
Overall the business has some great department managers who help deal with the day to day stress.
Pros
Great management team
Customer Service Clerk & Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBJuly 20, 2016
A typical day at work in front end would be, helping customers finding what they are looking for while completing various transactions.
good part time job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSJuly 16, 2016
I made some good friends there, learned some life skills that i can take with me to any other jobs i have.
everyone there just wants to help you so you do the best you can and succeed everyday
great workplace with amazing team members
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 16, 2016
Great team spirit coupled with an exceptional work ethic. the employers truly have the best interest of employees at heart and are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that employees are well catered to.
productive, self driven work ethic, personable staff, great hours
Stock Picker (Former Employee) –  Debert, NSJuly 15, 2016
very fast, hard working shift. as many or few hours as you want every week, above average pay rate, personable staff, and expectations of workers that was propotional to your time and position
Pros
fast paced, easy work, as much or as little interaction as you want.
Cons
late hours, moderately dangerous
N/a
Dairy Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 15, 2016
Theres good and theres bad with the location I was at, All I can say is that this company (where I worked at) is good for a start up job not long term, that's all I would like to say.
Good company to work for
Grocery Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2016
I worked at Sobeys for 16 years
My job duties included:
Over seeing a staff of up to 45 people
Problem solving
Coaching / Counselling employee's
Ensured all orders were picked and shipped in a timely fashion
Corresponding with senior management helping to improve day to day productivity.
Pros
People
Cons
Not enough room for further growth
Fun workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  New Glasgow, NSJuly 11, 2016
Working at Sobeys is great. I go to work with a smile on daily knowing I am appreciated by my fellow colleagues. The management makes it easy to talk about future goals within the company and also helps you reach them.
Labour Intensive work
Sobeys Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NBJuly 11, 2016
Driving a pallet jack and building pallets.

I learned how to driving 2 types of pallet jacks.

The management is exellect

All the coworkers are is pretty friendly and easy to get along with

The hardest part of the job is when people taking jokes too far.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people
cashier supervisor
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SKJuly 11, 2016
good days at work my floor plan would always work and have people at every station. i learned to handle cash and do nightly reports. and learn supervisor duties. my co workers always listened when i assigned tasks the flexible hours were the best
Pros
great work environment
great place to work for those with finite means
CASHIER (Grocery Clerk) (Current Employee) –  vancouver bcJuly 10, 2016
As an employee with about 15 to 20 years to offer and advanced in age, I am one of those with finite resources to offer an employer. If you were a highschool student or working student or perhaps someone of limited financial resources this is a great place to start a career. Limited by the collective agreement, the managers are agreeable and flexible, a bit too modern for me, and very forgiving. Today like all of Canada for the last 20 years, it is focused on providing equal opportunities to women, even if they are students who will very likely leave in one to five years, should they complete their education. Tolerance is perhaps key, and willingness to provide service. If you have unlimited means, you will see fault everywhere. The turnover will likely discourage you. And of course any or all of the above will temper your view.
Pros
tolerant environment, union, flexible scheduling
Cons
no clear path for advancement.
Seems like a great place to work, really like my coworkers
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Oromocto, NBJuly 10, 2016
I enjoy the job at sobeys warehouse, it has late hours but they seem fair with hours and benefits and such. the hardest part of the job is making count, my coworkers are great to work with, easy to get along, they make my job go by 10 times faster.
lazy managers
Baker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 9, 2016
easy work, steady hours, no chance of advancement, if you like to work like a drone you will love sobeys,some rules don't apply to the senior staff.
grocery clerk
Grocery Clerk (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Beamsville, ONJuly 8, 2016
This was a part-time job while I was going to school, the management was flexible giving me the hours to fit my schooling schedule, the staff was pleasant to work with.
good
Cons
part time
Not recommended.
Deli Worker (Current Employee) –  High River, ABJuly 7, 2016
Although I am grateful that I have a job, I find that there is a definite amount of favoritism. Certain people are being paid more then others because of their relationship with the store owner, while others are sitting at 11 dollars an hour. (Me!) I've been here for almost a year now, and have been sitting at 11 dollars an hour, while over four people who have been hired after me have been making anywhere from 13 to 15.

There's a lot of gossiping that's goes on around the store. While most of the management is great and try their best to make a good work environment, there are a few other people who do not. I have gotten in trouble for things that most of the other employees in my department have done, and have gotten in trouble for attempting to tell my side of the story.

That aside, I have better learned customer service, I have a better knowledge of different food types, ways of cooking, and I have also learned the proper way to clean and sanitize meat slicers. I have learned how to prepare meats, how to make sure that the meat is stored properly and safely.

My co-workers are pleasant and efficient. The job is fairly easy for the most part, save for the fact that we are very short staffed. That being said, the day seems a lot longer then it really is, and the environment is a little rushed.
Pros
occasional free lunches, volunteer work, staff parties
Cons
long hours, short staffed, favoritism, pay differences, most of the management
Very good place to work, if you don't need hours
chasier/maintence. (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ONJuly 6, 2016
I never got more then 4 hours of work. once a week , sometimes 2 days, I was there for well over a year. Did not like the lack of hours
Pros
I had my 1st good with them.
Cons
not enough hours