Sobeys Pay & Benefits reviews

Good part time job
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB10 January 2018
It was a fine part time job but I wouldn't want to do it full time. Non-union so the managers could make funky policies around raises. Flexible work hours with my manager. Kind, easygoing co-workers.
fun at the bakery
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Amherstburg, ON3 January 2018
long days work every weekend and holiday but you can get anytime off good food good people can get very busy around the holidays decorating cakes is a lot of fun
Pros
Good employees
Cons
No discounts
Beginners job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON2 January 2018
I worked at Sobeys for 5 years while going to school and going to college. My coworkers were great and the job was good, I was trusted with a lot of responsibilities in that place which I am very grateful for. I however would not work there again.
Pros
good hours
Cons
bad pay
meeting people
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON2 January 2018
when working in the produce section at sobeys you run into new people all the time asking about where things are or if you can help them find something they can’t see.
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
the shifts feel long
Good when in school
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS30 December 2017
They were good at scheduling you around your school schedule. They were under-staffed during peek times.
Unless you were in a business program, there was not much hope of career advancement.
good part time work
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 December 2017
its decent minimum wage work and sobeys will keep you busy the best they can. it is what it is its not bad. work hard and it is possible to advance in the company, as long as you are able and willing to move around
Definitely a starter job.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 December 2017
Head management was phenomenal but the actual manager of the department was awful. very messy and not put together, a lot of the load was put on the employees as the manager was usually not in the department. This is troubling because most of the time the manager helps but instead the manger wasn't. Makes it hard for you to enjoy or get work done properly. Mangement needs to go under review.

The pay is alright. I would not advise anyone to stay here longer than a year. It is really not worth it. There isn't much room for advancement. Its also very fast pace and will teach you a lot of things, the tasks are not too difficult and can actually apply to your own life. The job is not that hard especially considering you have a team with you. All I can say Is time management is very important when you work here because if your team is behind you are not doing the proper tasks and could potentially harm costumers and yourself.

You will find yourself enjoying your co-workers although and the store as a whole. A again this is mostly a starter job, you can potentially earn a good wage but it takes a while. Try your best although to look around for more employment this job can be very stressful.
Pros
free lunches, great co-workers, awesome head manager
Cons
terrible department manager, no benefits, not enough advancement.
fine
Secondary cook and distributer of hot meals (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ON24 November 2017
Sobey's was fine. It wasn't great, but it was a good enough part time job while in high school. Didn't provide a lot of hours, however the other employees were fun and inviting and kind.
okay work place
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS21 November 2017
not easy with hours and needs to be more flexible with there hours and students because they cant always get there for 3:00 that when most people get out great job for someone not going to school
Family orientated Company where respect and acceptance is not only accepted, but encouraged at all levels of the business unit.
Retail Accountant-Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Stellarton, NS19 November 2017
Sobeys was my first and only job after completing my post secondary education. My workday was 7:45am to 4:00pm. I developed a keen communications ability and was given lots of opportunity to grow my skill set. Management is very supportive with all employees, and encourages their growth, both inside and outside the company. The Company is very Community orientated, and Volunteerism and social advocacy is encouraged. The Company believes that good work deserves a fair compensation. My colleagues were the best aspect of my job, at all levels.
Good time, but not a high chance for promotion in any way
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Redwater, AB12 November 2017
The employees were pretty decent, usually very friendly, and mostly willing to help if there was a situation that required it.

In working there for three years the only raise I got in my wage was $0.05, and that was dropped again when minimum wage increased. There is not much room for promotion at all, and the way that the department was run was not the best.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Lack of wage increase higher than minimum wage
too much work expected of one person
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fonthill, ON11 November 2017
you are expected to do too much work can not be compleated by one person. Not enough help and most staff does not work as a team. Management not good.
Pros
Decent pay for full tme
Cons
long hours expected to compleat things that is unreasonable
Excellent Place to work
Pharmacy Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON29 October 2017
Must be able to multi task,The pharmacists were the best. Treated me as an equal and the patients always came first.Would not leave if I wasn't moving
Pros
Good hours, Good Pay
Cons
Can't think of any.
Amazing
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rothesay, NB29 October 2017
Worked Chicken in the deli (making chickens, putting food out into the "Sham"/"hot case"), best, most understanding manger. willing to work with me and my schedule, lots of hours for part time... considering how much staff... overall a good environment to work in
Pros
employee discount, payraises
Cons
nothing
Great work place. Benefits and pension are comparable. Team players.
Department Supervisor/office administration (Current Employee) –  Truro, NS27 October 2017
I love working at sobeys. Management is very helpful. Advancement is limited. Opportunities to learn. Friendly and helpful coworkers. Regular yearly wage increases. Excellent pension and benefits.
Pros
Great long term employment
Cons
Mostly part time positons available
Good
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ajax Lake, ON26 October 2017
Great place to work you do work for your money though people are awesome you always get to see the deals when they come out always have someone thing for lunch too
Pros
Samples all the time
Cons
Dont ger paid enough
Great for Students
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON26 October 2017
An amazing place to work for students: staff is friendly, management is mostly flexible but can quickly come down on you, hours are great for students and pay is basic wage!
Pros
Hours
Cons
No discount.
Hard to advance
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB21 October 2017
Decent pay after a couple years of work. However hours can be hard to come by. That being said the managers will work with your schedule if you have a specific day you need off.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK16 October 2017
Great place to work. Friendly staff. Organized. Respectable managing, fast paced enviornment. Competitive wages and lots of health benefits. Clean work stations.
Average employer with great benefits
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 October 2017
Sobeys is an alright place to work with pretty good benefits if you're a full time employee or work there for longer than 6 months. I personally enjoyed the products we made in the bakery and was excited to try new things whenever they were introduced to our shelves.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.