Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

productive, is very knowlegeable about their customers and store
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, ONApril 1, 2016
I have been working for almost a year and I have never had a bad experience working for this company. The workers and managers are excellent. The schedules are pretty much based around what you can work. They are a very flexible company. Honestly, Sobeys is a great place to work. Through my experience here I've learned to improve my time management skills. There is always a job. I believe the hardest part of the job is to always make a customer happy. Unfortunately you cannot make every single customer happy but you still should make the effort to try your best or to give other suggestions to make a better experience.
Pros
long hours, good salary, the people who work there
Cons
sometimes the customers
An okay work environment but a bit toxic in terms of management/worker relations
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSFebruary 5, 2016
It was an okay job to be honest, very flexible especially if you're a part timer. But there was a fundamental distrust between management and the workers that sparked a lot of competition and made things uncomfortable and stressful. I personally didn't agree with a lot of company decisions, such as their prices. Since the 2 years that I started working there, they had been raised to ridiculous amounts for all their store made products, and at quantity and quality that simply wasn't worth the asking price in my eyes. I didn't feel good and took no pride working for a company like this, having to search for excuses to tell customers, and so I quit.
Pros
Flexibility with shifts and work hours
Cons
Stressful most of the time
Great management, comprehensive training, good environment
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 3, 2016
The work environment at Sobey's was great, a lot of the veteran employee's were very patient and helpful. The management, both lower and senior, were very friendly and understanding. Training was good. Union membership and benefits were on par with the industry's best.

Some of the other warehouse employees weren't very good people, acted very short sighted manner on the job and made the day harder than it had to be.
Not the greatest time.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Acton, ONMarch 2, 2016
Working at Sobeys was great at first, I met some really great people. After working at Sobeys for a year I decided to quit. I was asked to be a supervisor with no raise and other workers were being paid more than me and doing less, I didn't find that fair.
Pros
great people
Cons
not fair
Productive and fast paced work environment.
Cashier/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMarch 23, 2016
A typical day at Sobeys includes a good team effort to maintain the produce department and checking for quality constantly. Keeping the produce department as organized and tidy as possible for a better shopping experience for customers. Providing excellent customer service and answering any questions customers have to the best of my knowledge. I have learned great customer service skills through this company and how to be an active team member. My customer service skills have become exceptionally better by working for Sobeys. Management at Sobeys is organized and are always looking out for their employees. Co-workers are friendly and work well as a team. Everyone pulls their weight and does their absolute best to make sure the department is well maintained, as well as the produce back shop. Other departments work together to create an all around friendly, upbeat work environment. The hardest part of working for Sobeys is issue they have with staffing. The produce department is incredibly under staffed which would put stress on those working especially when the day got busy. The most enjoyable part of working for Sobeys would be the people. Even on the bad days the staff would all come together as a team and work to the best of their ability. It is a big family atmosphere.
Pros
Staff sample days, pay raise every 500 hours, yearly bonus.
Cons
Under staffed, no full-time positions offered.
Occasional work as a high school student
Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Stocked produce department and maintained stock area
I never got to work with people and I would prefer to be around others
The hardest part of the job was keeping up on busy days because I was by myself
It was also had to do the exact same thing every day
Pros
lots of breaks
Cons
no benefits
Fast, productive corporate enviroment.
Merchandising/Advertising CoOrdinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 9, 2016
This was a great place to work, the starting salary was ideal and the end salary was great. The environment was ideal and the respective staff for the most part were very personable and friendly/polite.
Pros
Activities and Excursions often
Cons
Long Hours
good workplace with great staff but decent managment
Night Clerk (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ONMarch 10, 2016
Sobeys co workers are great but management could use some work, off days could have been scheduled better and adequate training would be nice.
Pros
good people
Cons
no employee benefits
Unfair
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSFebruary 12, 2016
The management was very unfair.
Choose favorites frequently.
Seniority doesnt mean anything to them.
treat you like a child and yell at you in front of customers.
Pros
Christmas bonus
Cons
No benefits
Fun place to work, kept busy
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, ABMarch 2, 2016
I learned how to decorate cakes, slice bread, deal with the register, customers, and cleaning. I always had a job to do, and that's what I admired most about this job.
Cons
Needed a higher salary
Ok place for a part-time job, impossible to get full-time
Front End Supervisor/Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fonthill, ONNovember 23, 2015
It's a good part-time job.

If you show good initiative and work ethic you will be rewarded with more hours.

Pay starts at minimum and really don't get any automatic scheduled raises.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Retail, poor pay, no full-time
Fun workplace, with poor managment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSNovember 19, 2015
Management takes advantage of their position, with a lot of politics and no benefits. But it can be a enjoyable place to work if you don't pay attention to the constant drama.
Pros
good break times
Cons
bad managment
Sobeys is a great place to start in the workforce.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 19, 2015
I didn't learn much about the job itself because I had worked produce for a long time. I learned quite a bit about company policies in my training. I enjoy my co-workers and management team. However the culture that was present in my last place of employment simply isn't the same. Perhaps its because it's a larger business. The benefits are alright and the hours are not sufficient for someone who needs to pay rent, car loans, and student loans. There is room to grow in the company which is nice.
Pros
Clean work environment, good health and safety standards
Cons
Limited hours per week (32 max unless you're in management), below average pay.
Average job, good hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJune 10, 2015
Sobeys is a good place to work if you are looking for flexible hours. I am currently in university, and during the school year I can only work around 2 shifts per week. When i am not in school however, I usually can work 4-5 shifts, and Sobeys is very great in the fact that they can easily adapt to my changing school schedule. My co-worker are for the most part friendly and easy to talk to. There is however a few issues with the supervisors and managers. They often do not effectively communicate important information to the rest of the staff. Some people may know what is going on in the store, but others will not. For every 500 hours you work at sobeys you get a small raise. Sobeys is also fairly flexible if you want to work in a different department or want to grow within the company.
Pros
good hours, good co-workers
Cons
communication is not the best between management and staff, breaks are not long enough as we are only given a 15 minute break for working a 6 hour shift.
Productive people to work with
Sront end supervisor (Former Employee) –  WestlockSeptember 28, 2015
Sobeys was an excellent company to work for. Great opportunities for advancement. Most co-workers were easy to get a along with.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No benefits
Sobeys
Produce Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKOctober 26, 2015
Sobeys is a wonderful place to work if youre going to school or have a second job on the go. the hours here are very flexible, and they work around your schedule. they also treat you like family at sobeys. Great benefits.
Don't treat staff good with disabilities
Meat cutter (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, ABMarch 31, 2016
Every day was a routine for me which I liked, I knew what to expect. I was the early morning opening meat cutter which consisted of putting the band saw and grinder together and taking temps. And product rotation spot checks and cutting. Plus wrapping. The problem was lazy co workers who wouldn't help wrap or help with the seafood or gourmet sections, just cut meat? A meat cutter has to do more now a days. But Certain cutters wouldn't. The management was poor, assistant store manager grumpy, swore a lot at his grocery staff in the warehouse when he would round them up for a meeting. although my meat manager was nice, worked with her for over ten years. I was only supposed to be part time because of severe anxiety/depression panic attack. But would frequently get seven days in a row week after week. I got burned out. They let me go for refusing to do an unsafe job, long story. After over ten years with the company I wasn't valued at all.
Pros
Morning hours
Cons
Employees not valued, replaceable
Great environment, wonderful people
Hot Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 20, 2016
Working at Sobeys has been a very good experience. The hot deli is one of the most physically demanding departments which made the work difficult for me personally. I really enjoyed the flexibility of being able to decide what to do and when, and I learned a lot about time management and deadlines. Management is always there for support and the company does an excellent job with employee engagement and trying to make the environment the best possible for all working there.
Pros
Good work environment, friendly coworkers and management, flexible
Cons
Not enough hours, physically demanding, unpaid lunch, no discount
Relatively nice place to work
Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High River, ABJanuary 11, 2016
I was a cashier/supervisor. I rang people through the tills as well as searched for products that the customers couldn't find.

I learned proper money handling techniques as well as how to do a band deposit (final nightly deposits) as well as counting the safes.

The management is okay. The store is now independently owned and personally since then I believe the store has gone downhill.

Co-workers were good. Everyone has those people that you don't know how to deal with. You can't let those people bring you down and ruin your day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the satifaction on people's faces when you come back with an item they were looking for, or the price is wrong on an item and you tell them its free or they get it for a discounted price.
Cons
Too much drama in the workplace.
Team environment, highly engaging
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 20, 2016
I worked at Sobeys as a cashier assistant. I learned how to operate a cashier. Since this was my first retail job, I also learned how to interact with customers. The workers at Sobeys were very engaging and helpful towards each other. The co-workers that had been working there for longer would gladly help a new and learning worker out if he/she encountered an issue. The management at Sobeys was also very good. It kept workers in each department focused and working as a team at all times. The hardest part of this job was training myself to become efficient as possible in using the cashier from the day that I started work. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was interacting with all the customers, exchanging positive words and a smile felt good.
Pros
Career advancement opportunities