Sobey's Employee Reviews

relaxed environment hard workers
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 24, 2016
Worked the midnight shift 10-6:30am putting stock ensuring all product was facing forward, I learned to work at a fast pace, management was not the greatest for my department he was always unorganized, the co-workers there were respectful and nice, hardest part of the job would be the hours i was given.
Pros
good co workers
Cons
long hours sometimes had to stay later
I clean and do breads
Bakery Personel (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 18, 2016
I do dishes and clean the floors as well as doing the garlic breads and discards. i also do cakes and pastry's and help with whatever the manager needs.
Productive workplace
front line customer service/cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONDecember 3, 2015
There was always something productive going on in the store. The management team were there if anyone needed help, especially if there was an issue with a customer.
Pros
Great People
Cons
difficult hours
Not a very nice palce to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, OntarioNovember 19, 2015
Handle all aspects of Cashier duties IE serve customers, stock shelves, cleaning floors, cleaniong registers and when not busy mopping floors
Cons
productive and fast paced.
Baker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 10, 2015
My work day consisted on me getting up at 4am to be at work for 5am. As soon as i entered the building I would turn on all ovens and proofers and start mixing the dough for the morning breads and setting up equipment and bread pans to bake bread. Through out the day there would be continuous baking of various breads and buns and other items such as muffins, cakes, and cookies. My shift would usually end at 1pm unless there was a need to stay longer for more production , which usually occurred during the christmas season.
Stockboy for Sobeys Jobs for Youth (John Howard Society)
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne, ONOctober 26, 2015
I learned to deal with customers face to face and to ensure that their problems are met right then and their! I also learned a fast past work and to always look for something to do even if you think you're finished you're job in a work environment their is always something to be done somewhere always be looking to give a hand!
Pros
Three paid breaks
Cons
On your feet all day
Non-complicated, but can be stressful
Night Clerk (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 15, 2015
I've only been working at sobeys for a little while (as a night clerk) so i stock, face, and sometimes receive. its not bad, but the hours are kinda brutal. which leaves little time for much else. there seems to be an overwhelming time pressure every day, and sometimes things get backed up and what not. its a decent job if you can manage working nights.
Productive and Informative workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 15, 2015
fun workplace. open access to management. continuous changes to boost staff morale and make staff feel appreciated. Not a lot of fulltime positions and no benefits. Could barely get 20 hours/week here. Lots of support from supervisor. Family type feel in workplace
Pros
Friendly staff, first access to new products
Cons
few full-time positions, lack of solid job descriptions for some positions
good environment, good people. great experience
Grocery Clerk, Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2015
i worked 4 hr shifts. had a small pay for 2 weeks. met some great people. the hardest part of the job was on a friday, the most work for the week and i was by myself. i was at school for the most part so i can't complain if i had short shifts
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
short shifts
productive
Courtesy clerk (Former Employee) –  calgaryJuly 13, 2015
In a day just stock shelves, clean and look for people in the store to help. If none of that is available then continue cleaning, or pulling products to the front of the aisles.
Pros
10% off once a month
Days at Sobey's were awesome
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 7, 2015
the ladies that i worked with were always so energetic and friendly
it was a great atmosphere
management was amazing to talk to
the most enjoyable part of the job at sobey's was doing the cake decorating
learning experience, good job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 8, 2015
great place to work, i learned a lot working for Sobeys and took valuable customer service rules away from the positions i worked,
Nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 22, 2015
Its a descent place for students to work part time. It was an enjoyable place to work. My co-workers were nice easy to get along with. I've learned to have patiences with the customers that didn't know what they wanted to pay with or if their transaction declined.
Pretty good job
Seafood Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONMay 19, 2015
Been at Sobey's for 9 years now and I have no complaints. The best part is probably my manager and the people I work with. I wouldn't like it nearly as much if I didn't have friends there. Mine is a pretty easy job and there's not a lot of pressure to get a million things done in one day. It's very laid back.
Pros
Fun workplace with good people
Cons
Little to no room for advancement, even from part-time to full-time
Fun Workplace
Part-Time Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ONApril 7, 2015
First thing in the morning you would get the things you needed out for the day
I learned a lot working there for three years different things that i liked to do.
My co workers were awesome miss them dearly always having fun but working hard
Everything about Sobeys was fun but work needed to be done it was stressful when holidays came around but you get use it after a while
Pros
Flexible when needed
Fast paced and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 17, 2015
The day goes by fast, you're always busy but if you take it in a positive light it's a fun challenge. Working at Sobey's definitely teaches you how to smile even when there's nothing to smile about (ex. having a happy and friendly appearance when the debit + credit machines are down the day before thanksgiving). I also improved my abilities on a register and memorizing codes because of working here. Managers were kind and understanding but managed to do their job very well. All of my co-workers were very friendly. Never had much of a problem with any of them. We weren't a close-knit group, not like a "family" like I've heard of some places being, but it was always welcoming. Hardest part of the job is probably the unfriendly customers. It may have been the area I worked in, and every service job will have "those customers" but it felt the ones I got were very demanding, unforgiving, and self-entitled. They lied to my manager about my behavior because I didn't let them use an expired coupon. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the friendly customers that would shop regularly.
Pros
Lovely place to work overall
Cons
The grumpy customers are super grumpy
Nice place to work and to work together as a team
Customer Service / Sales (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ONFebruary 23, 2015
My manager and co-workers help each other out and deal with customers was the hard part of the job. The easy part of the job that I know a lot of codes in the meat wrapping machine.

My manager makes me be aware of things and he is very understanding and supportive.
Pros
benefits, free food for holidays
Cons
you can't please everybody
Awesome Mangement
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NBFebruary 20, 2015
I loved working for Sobey's the Management team is awesome there. My only reason for leaving was lack of hours.

They are very understanding and accommodating.
Pros
very understand management team
Cons
lack of hours
sobeys
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONFebruary 3, 2015
walk in sign in upstairs , check shelves for any missing product or garbage out on the floor , go in to the lobby check out the to do list , do my first log in for the day , maintain the department best as possible , help customers find items , around the end of the shift scan out waste .
Pros
some nice people
Cons
not enough hours
typical grocery store
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 22, 2015
boring days, learned some good social skills, met some nice people. no really hard aspects to the job and the most enjoyable part was meeting new people.
Pros
nice social environment
Cons
very boring