Sobey's Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and Informative workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 15, 2015
fun workplace. open access to management. continuous changes to boost staff morale and make staff feel appreciated. Not a lot of fulltime positions and no benefits. Could barely get 20 hours/week here. Lots of support from supervisor. Family type feel in workplace
Pros
Friendly staff, first access to new products
Cons
few full-time positions, lack of solid job descriptions for some positions
relaxed environment hard workers
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 24, 2016
Worked the midnight shift 10-6:30am putting stock ensuring all product was facing forward, I learned to work at a fast pace, management was not the greatest for my department he was always unorganized, the co-workers there were respectful and nice, hardest part of the job would be the hours i was given.
Pros
good co workers
Cons
long hours sometimes had to stay later
Fun workplace with enjoyable workers.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 21, 2016
I worked in the deli department. My manager was really good at her job and gave me great direction and trained me really well. I had to make sure everything was cleaned and sanitized especially when working with meat and cheese. I had to make trays and I had a specific deadline. I had to cut cheeses and meats for customers. I had to greet customers and ask them for their orders. I had to always clean once in a while to make sure there was no cross contamination. I had to open and close the deli department and make sure everything was prepped or put away and ready to go. It was hard when I had deadlines but I always made them and it was also hard when there was a lot of customers at once. I always kept calm and got to every customer.
Pros
Sobey's Club
Cons
No benefits
Fun environment/work place to work at
Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Acton, ONMay 23, 2016
Although the long hours suck and you don't get any discounts, the people I usually work with are really nice ad the manager of the deli is quite understanding. She allows you to talk to her about anything and she is there to listen to everything you have to say. I like the fact that when I need time off, I get it off and I have become a very loyal employ and I have overall become a great person to be around due to the family of loving and caring employee's that I have worked with in the Deli at Acton Sobeys
Pros
the people that work with you and along with you are really nice
Cons
Long hours, No discounts
Productive and fast-paced working environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pictou, NSMay 6, 2016
Sobey's is a great place to work, especially the staff and managment. There is always a lot of production to be completed, as well as constant interaction with other customers and co-workers. There is always room for advancement in management, but it does take quite some time to get to a higher level. The hardest part about the job, would have to be a lot of heavy lifting. I enjoy the people I work with, as well as meeting new people every day. It gives me an experience to interact with others, as well as gain personal skills.
Pros
Medical/dental benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and fun work place
Bakery Crew / Pastry Helper (Current Employee) –  Strathcona Park, ABJune 16, 2016
working in this company is really fun. they give us good salary and benefits. i learned lot of things example how to use some of there machines like bread slicer, pop crisps machine and more. I practice my decorating skills as well.
Pros
friendly coworker
Great Place to Work
Baker (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKApril 27, 2016
One of the management staff cuts you down and wont do her job and blames others for the work not being done.
This employee has made others feel so bad they quit.
Pros
Great pay and benifits
Cons
Poor Manager skills.
Productive workplace
Part Time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONFebruary 21, 2016
This job has saved me in so many ways. I've only worked here for a month, but it's too far from home. I live in Kitchener and this job is all the way in Cambridge. It sucks..
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONApril 8, 2016
There is always plenty of things to do and it is a great place to work. Management is always available and care about you as a person
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
No benefits for part time work
Severe lack of hours hurts otherwise great place to work.
Baker/Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pictou, NSFebruary 17, 2016
A nice place to go work, but during the wintertime there is very little work to go around. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people, both customers and fellow employees.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Cons
No hours
Good people and great company
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBApril 20, 2016
I work as a cashier. I bag groceries with a break depending on how many hours I work. My co-workers are nice, and there are plently of hours.
productive and fast paced.
Baker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 10, 2015
My work day consisted on me getting up at 4am to be at work for 5am. As soon as i entered the building I would turn on all ovens and proofers and start mixing the dough for the morning breads and setting up equipment and bread pans to bake bread. Through out the day there would be continuous baking of various breads and buns and other items such as muffins, cakes, and cookies. My shift would usually end at 1pm unless there was a need to stay longer for more production , which usually occurred during the christmas season.
Productive workplace
front line customer service/cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONDecember 3, 2015
There was always something productive going on in the store. The management team were there if anyone needed help, especially if there was an issue with a customer.
Pros
Great People
Cons
difficult hours
Nice place to work and to work together as a team
Customer Service / Sales (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ONFebruary 23, 2015
My manager and co-workers help each other out and deal with customers was the hard part of the job. The easy part of the job that I know a lot of codes in the meat wrapping machine.

My manager makes me be aware of things and he is very understanding and supportive.
Pros
benefits, free food for holidays
Cons
you can't please everybody
Love working with the public in my job. Unfortunate that there aren't full time hours available.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 2, 2013
My day consists of serving customers in our community. I love working with the public and have made quite a few "friends" in this position. I enjoy my job but wish there were more consistant and available hours. It's hard to raise a family on only part time hours. I have been in this industry through a variety of workplaces for over twenty years so I do know how to do my job really well. Would love the chance to work full time hours and continue to be able to deal with public.
Pros
customers and co workers are fun to get to know.
Cons
not enough hours available
I clean and do breads
Bakery Personel (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 18, 2016
I do dishes and clean the floors as well as doing the garlic breads and discards. i also do cakes and pastry's and help with whatever the manager needs.
Stockboy for Sobeys Jobs for Youth (John Howard Society)
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne, ONOctober 26, 2015
I learned to deal with customers face to face and to ensure that their problems are met right then and their! I also learned a fast past work and to always look for something to do even if you think you're finished you're job in a work environment their is always something to be done somewhere always be looking to give a hand!
Pros
Three paid breaks
Cons
On your feet all day
very productive workplace constant changes
Assistant Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2013
My day at work started with greeting co-workers and seeing what was in store for the day[ people missing, production, stock deliveries]
I learned there are many types of people in the world and each one has there own good and bad habits, management did their job and was dependable for assistance, the hardest part and the most enjoyable part was the same, the variety of people.
Pros
the benefits
Cons
long hours especially on salary
Slow Moving Not Well Managed
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABJune 3, 2013
This job had a high turnover rate for all ranks, which was really frustrating. No one was really into this job, which makes it very difficult to want to go to work. The most enjoyable part about this job was the customers. The hardest part of the job was wanting to go.
Pros
awesome breaks
Cons
long shifts, underpaid, no raises, horrible management
Not a very nice palce to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, OntarioNovember 19, 2015
Handle all aspects of Cashier duties IE serve customers, stock shelves, cleaning floors, cleaniong registers and when not busy mopping floors