Sobey's Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced and fun
Cashier (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Lovely place to work overall
Cons: The grumpy customers are super grumpy
The day goes by fast, you're always busy but if you take it in a positive light it's a fun challenge. Working at Sobey's definitely teaches you how to smile even when there's nothing to smile about (ex. having a happy and friendly appearance when the debit + credit machines are down the day before thanksgiving). I also improved my abilities on a register and memorizing codes because of working here. Managers were kind and understanding but managed to do their job very well. All of my co-workers were very friendly. Never had much of a problem with any of them. We weren't a close-knit group, not like a "family" like I've heard of some places being, but it was always welcoming. Hardest part of the job is probably the unfriendly customers. It may have been the area I worked in, and every service job will have "those customers" but it felt the ones I got were very demanding, unforgiving, and self-entitled. They lied to my manager about my behavior because I didn't let them use an expired coupon. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the friendly customers that would shop regularly.
Productive and Friendly Environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Brighton, ONOctober 28, 2014
Working with co-workers to achieve necessary daily duties to be done. Getting along with friendly customers and co-workers in the workplace. I have learned to be more outgoing to take initiative in getting thing's done before being asked to get it done. If I am caught up to check to see what else can be done while serving the customers. The hardest part of the job would be not getting what you set out to get done for the day but let the next co-worker know what has to be done that you couldn't finish before leaving for the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to the customers and having conversations with them to see what they would like and how they can use what they are buying in meals or what would be the best meat to buy for what they are cooking.
Big screen TV in the break room
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New Glasgow , Nova ScotiaAugust 23, 2013
Pros: free lunches, free food from the bakery from time to time, free product to try from the prodouce dept.
Cons: only work part-time, is looking for full time
A typical day at sobeys'Griffins it OPen from 9 in the morning to 9 at night. Only two shifts 9 to 3 or 3 to 9. What you learn is to be alway nice to the customer, You manage you day by doing your job waiting on customer cleaning the department, doing things for other department in the store, anwsering the phone, pageing people for the phone. There is No hard part to your job if you like it. And the most enjoyable part of the job is the people that you meet and talk to, and what you can learn from them.
Love working with the public in my job. Unfortunate that there aren't full time hours available.
Cashier (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 2, 2013
Pros: customers and co workers are fun to get to know.
Cons: not enough hours available
My day consists of serving customers in our community. I love working with the public and have made quite a few "friends" in this position. I enjoy my job but wish there were more consistant and available hours. It's hard to raise a family on only part time hours. I have been in this industry through a variety of workplaces for over twenty years so I do know how to do my job really well. Would love the chance to work full time hours and continue to be able to deal with public.
The people make the difference
Meal Solutions associate (Former Employee), Saskatoon SK, Varsity CommonsApril 30, 2014
Cons: weird hours, a lot work, rude or dishonest co-workers, horrible manager
This job started out ok. Then it all went downhill, we were overworked and under payed. None of the employees were very friendly, did not want to be friends or help the others out. One employee was horribly lazy but would pin it on the new staff because he knew the manager would believe him. Had to make unrealistic amounts of pizza and sandwiches in very little time. Overall not a fair place to work at all.
Great work place staff and management worked as a team never felt out of place
Cashier (Former Employee), Sydney, NSAugust 23, 2012
Pros: great work environment
Cons: would have liked more hours
i enjoyed my job with Sobeys very much, the hardest part was havng to say good bye to my co-workers and management team . I left Sobey's due to my health as I was in renal failure. I have now had a transplant and it has been 5 yrs. I would now love to re-enter the work force . The most enjoyable thing about working at Sobey's was the one on one customer service experience. I enjoy meeting new people.
Customer Service Sobey's
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Burlington, ONOctober 2, 2013
Pros: lunch time
Cons: no employee discount
Sobey's was a decent job. I had to deal with a lot of customer complaints, refunds and exchanges. My manager was rude and the supervisors always called in sick. The cashiers would always take washroom breaks for 20 minutes at a time, which lead to long line ups at the customer service desk, and annoyed customers who just wanted to purchase lottery tickets but were waiting in a long lineup. I had more responsibilities than the job required, which I didn't mind, so I would just go to work and leave and make the best of it.
productive and fast paced.
Baker (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABNovember 10, 2015
My work day consisted on me getting up at 4am to be at work for 5am. As soon as i entered the building I would turn on all ovens and proofers and start mixing the dough for the morning breads and setting up equipment and bread pans to bake bread. Through out the day there would be continuous baking of various breads and buns and other items such as muffins, cakes, and cookies. My shift would usually end at 1pm unless there was a need to stay longer for more production , which usually occurred during the christmas season.
Decent place to work
Produce Order Selector (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: occaisional free lunch, cheap food in the cafeteria.
Cons: required overtime for part time people.
A typical day, starts and ends the same, you get your power jack and Volcomm system, then go through the orders as you are given them. The one thing to watch out for is the timing of yourself, since you have to be within their guidelines for the orders.

Sometimes there are accidents as can be expected in every workplace, though with the equipment involved, it can be somewhat scary.
Good workplace
Clerk/Stockperson (Former Employee), Camrose, ABAugust 20, 2012
Pros: learned something that can be useful at work or home
Cons: really cold in the winter
spend most of the time cleaning machines, tables, floors and knives after the rest of the meat cutters left. i learned how to cut several cuts of meat and Gained alot of customer service skills, Very well managed, hardest part of the job would be stacking the boxes in the cooler for they are heavy but still not that bad at all, most enjoyable part of the job would be helping the cutters on a saturday or sunday.
Family oriented, customer service comes first
Meat Clerk/Butcher (Former Employee), Innisfil, ONMarch 18, 2014
Pros: very good management
Cons: unpredictable hours, low pay rate
A typical day at work included receiving shipments of meat related products, filling out paperwork, stocking the display counters and serving customers.

The most enjoyable part of this job was giving customers a high end shopping experience and sending them home satisfied.

This job helped me learn how to work efficiently with a team in a fast paced work environment where customer service was held at a very high priority.
Fun workplace
Cashier/ Supervisor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 18, 2014
A typical day at work included greeting customers and making sure they were satisfied with there product. Also scheduling breaks for the employees and serving customers at the cashier. I learned how to speak to people in a professional manner to make sure that the customer is satisfied. My co workers were all very nice and I have stayed friends with them even until now. The hardest part of the job was dealing with irate customers. The most enjoyable was when the customers walked out happy.
a day in the lif of a cake decoator
Cake Decorator/Packager (Former Employee), Claresholm, ABJuly 23, 2012
Pros: meeting lots of customers
Cons: benifit plans were not aways the best plan
a typical day at sobeys was arrive at 6am and have to be at work for 7am and would put away my stock for the day the pep all my work for the day the i would make customers orders and answer the phone when an order came in. my employers we OK we would all work together and help each other out and the most enjoyment of the day was when a customer come in and say what a great job you have one.
Pretty good job
Seafood Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee), Barrie, ONMay 19, 2015
Pros: Fun workplace with good people
Cons: Little to no room for advancement, even from part-time to full-time
Been at Sobey's for 9 years now and I have no complaints. The best part is probably my manager and the people I work with. I wouldn't like it nearly as much if I didn't have friends there. Mine is a pretty easy job and there's not a lot of pressure to get a million things done in one day. It's very laid back.
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 26, 2012
The people I worked directly with were very nice. I found everyone just seemed to hang about with people in there department. That way I found it a very cold place to work.I didn't feel I was part of any team just do the couple of things they left me to do.That is hard as a new employee.I learned how to set up the fish counter from start to finish.The hardest part for me was lifting all that ice.
Fast Paced, Friendly environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Regina, SKNovember 7, 2013
Pros: a equal opportunity employer devoted to helping their employees make it work.
Cons: after 10 years it is difficult to be on my feet as long as before.
This job has given me many skills in customer service and being people oriented. The training for this is great and one is able to ask questions and improve even more. The hardest part of the job has become the long hours on ones feet as time tends to make it more difficult.
very productive workplace constant changes
Assistant Deli Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: the benefits
Cons: long hours especially on salary
My day at work started with greeting co-workers and seeing what was in store for the day[ people missing, production, stock deliveries]
I learned there are many types of people in the world and each one has there own good and bad habits, management did their job and was dependable for assistance, the hardest part and the most enjoyable part was the same, the variety of people.
Fun Workplace
Part-Time Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Tillsonburg, ONApril 7, 2015
Pros: Flexible when needed
First thing in the morning you would get the things you needed out for the day
I learned a lot working there for three years different things that i liked to do.
My co workers were awesome miss them dearly always having fun but working hard
Everything about Sobeys was fun but work needed to be done it was stressful when holidays came around but you get use it after a while
Stockboy for Sobeys Jobs for Youth (John Howard Society)
Stock Clerk (Former Employee), Port Colborne, ONOctober 26, 2015
Pros: Three paid breaks
Cons: On your feet all day
I learned to deal with customers face to face and to ensure that their problems are met right then and their! I also learned a fast past work and to always look for something to do even if you think you're finished you're job in a work environment their is always something to be done somewhere always be looking to give a hand!
Fun, Eventful, Joyful place to work
Bakery Associate (Former Employee), Okotoks, ABDecember 19, 2012
Pros: free coffee
This was my favorite job! I enjoyed working in the bakery because I was focused and I enjoyed going to work everyday. The people were great to work with, and the decorating and packaging were the most fun! The management worked out very well, very friendly, very outgoing. The only hardest part of my job was trying to keep up, my pace was getting up to speed but that was the most hardest part. I learned how to make bread, package it and decorate cakes!