SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews

Good work environment and great co-workers
Mechanical Engineer in Training (EIT) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 26, 2013
A typical day involved reporting directly to the senior mechanical engineer to keep him updated on the progress of my project. I learned about the importance of communication in the workplace, especially when dealing with many different levels of management and co-workers. Being at SNC also taught me a lot about the mining industry and how things are supposed to be done, and the importance of procedure.

My co-workers were very good people, who gladly assisted when a problem arose and offered clarification on a minor issue. It is a very open workplace that helps you build confidence in yourself.

SNC offers plenty of training opportunities to better yourself as an employee and person, with in-house training as well as outside seminars.
Pros
lots of opportunity for growth, great co-workers and lots of team building activites
the project team personnel were amazing to work with
Senior Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONSeptember 4, 2015
The Electrical group involved were fun to work with, very little stress, I looked forward to a days work with all involved
Interesting and Rewarding
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 10, 2015
Working in the transmission and distribution industry was interesting and rewarding.
Building healthy supportive relationships with the work crews and my construction management team were challenging and rewarding.
Working as part of an Heath and Safety Team to implement and monitor the Health and Safety Management System was a great experience.
Happy office environment with a lot of employees benefits (health and bonuses)
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 30, 2012
Busy office environment, work is stressful but still have time for fun; co-workers are so nice, caring and helpful during tight deadlines on report submission; management cares about the employees by conducting a yearly company summer outings or recreations. The hardest part of the job is claim preparation that needs focus or concentration to avoid mistakes on the accuracy of amounts and attaching proper back-ups; accurate coding of all business transactions and entering them to the general ledger; tracking of account balance differences and bank accounts reconciliation.
Great team to work with
Senior Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  calgaryAugust 26, 2015
Excellent work environment with super friendly people. Got opportunity to set up the finance team and lead from the front.
A place to work
Electrical Designer/Drafter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2015
Many talented people work for this company, unfortunately the organizational structure is lacking. There is a glaring disconnect between management and the work force.

The majority of co-workers are capable professionals and loyal individuals.

The hardest part of the job is to find continuity and leadership from management.

The most enjoyable part is the interaction and support among co-workers.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
management
experience
Business System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 24, 2014
- Extraction and validation data, using Enterprise One PeopleSoft, and Ms Access,
- Write all procedures and documents for all transactions,
- Make tests on PeopleSoft Enterprise One, to verify that the upgrades are done correctly,
- Verify with the public works of Canada technician all data submitted by SNC Lavalin,
- Verify and evaluate each project to decide if it’s profitable or not,
- Accept and upload data into PeopleSoft Enterprise One in accordance with the Statement of Work,
- Submit project related data to Public Works by the monthly deadline in XML format,
- Ensure data submission was successful and verify data is accurate,
- Reconcile all financial data pertaining to operations and projects,
- Compose and edit procedural and technical documentation in accordance with data that is required
Fun work to work with
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
Busy every day to work with the project team.
Management is great and work as a team.
To gain more experience in the engineering industry.
Productive environment, with good balance between private life and career
3D Layout Designer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2015
I'm proud to part of SNC-Lavalin team, and I'm really happy with the challenges the job brings every day. The sources and dedication of the company to supporting the employees to do top level engineering and delivering the best results to the client are really impressive.
A professional atmosphere where I practice my line of work.
Student Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLOctober 17, 2014
A regular day at work, I would go in at 8am to check in than I would proceed to the construction site I was assigned. I would make regular walks through the site and make sure everything is in order and everything is done correctly. Some of the jobs that are completed I would have to check and make sure it is done correctly. Every company has its own rules and regulation, although most companies would have the same because they would have to follow the Canadian standards. What I mean by this is for example the amount of compaction the aggregate needs to be in order to place sidewalk cement over it, another example would be the amount of manholes and catch basins to have and their locations. My group of co-workers were great. Everyone was very nice and very easy to approach. I did not find my job difficult at all and I enjoyed my entire time working with SNC-Lavalin.
Outstanding inviroment...
Cook 2 (Former Employee) –  AlbertaMarch 29, 2015
i would do this job over and over if it wasnt so hard to get involved with the union. These guys make it so hard for you to get work...
Pros
Free everything.. gym, food, drinks, 3 meals a day
Cons
everyone fights politics over your job and no real work gets done.
Professional Engineers Ontario, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONDecember 12, 2014
Over 20th years experience as an electrical engineer in a variety of fields like: Mining & Metallurgy, Oil & Gas, Port and Marine. Experienced in planning, designing, calculating, coordinating and managing projects to meet tight deadlines and shifting priorities with excellent interpersonal skills, creative problem. Solving skills and also communicate with client’s engineers to gain their trust and cooperation. Leadership skills and coordination with other disciplines, documentation skills, technicians and other team members from multiple disciplines.
Exciting projects. Great team members.
Senior Formatter / Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 1, 2012
I normally work from home on most assignments for SNC-Lavalin. They are a great team to work with. Always professional and available for any questions that I may have.

I typically format and review documents that are part of a large project. This could entail spreadsheets, visio documents, and very large Word documents.

The hardest part of the job is time difference - working with individuals at different ends of Canada. It is not too bad because we are only talking 3 hours the most, but at times it could be a waiting game for either of us. When we do connect, it is very productive.

The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting (virtually only in many cases, as well as physically) the individuals that you work with. Also, working from home is a bonus.
Pros
working from home
Cons
time difference
good
Senior Piping Designer / Piping Checker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 22, 2015
Successful projects, nice talents, good management, benefit OK, capability. goog, good. Global and local mining engineering, OIL and Gas.
good
bad
Culturally diverse, dynamic - T&D
Former (Former Employee) –  CalgaryMay 26, 2012
You will like a culturally diverse, knowledge company with people you can learn from (if you are not shy to ask)

Not for the career ambitious who want to quickly go up the ladder

Not for the not-hard-worker as expect to work on multiple projects at various phases (you can earn the same in other companies but with long lead projects)
Pros
social events, networking and learning from peers
Cons
matrix organization (assigned to different projects) and high staff turnover
SNC Lavalin is one of the leading engineering companies where i had the opporutnity to experience what EPCM is all about.
Intermediate Cost Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2014
I had a wonderful and fruitful years with SNC. My co-workers were easy to get along with and we worked as a team. I was involved in project control activities and i had the opportunity to go back in Saudi Arabia to work when the Saudi Aramco project was scheduled for construction. In October, 2011, i decided to push through with the plan of an early retirement. This is the hardest part because i have enjoyed working with the whole project team for many years. I really appreciated the gesture of my project manager to contact him if ever i want to come back to work. After 9 months (July, 2012), he hired me as a part time employee which last until Jan. 2013.
Pros
flexible office hours
Cons
different clients
good company to work
Power System Engineer protection engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto ONAugust 30, 2014
Challenging Job
Good Work Environment
Good Management
Higher Job Security
Pros
good company
Bad place
Environmental Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2014
Lived on the road in hotels. Terrible work/life balance. No personal boundaries. They will call and text you at all hours on your days off. Well known for mistreating people.
Pros
pay
Cons
culture
Turmoil
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 29, 2012
Undergone poorly managed change, compounded with an understanding that advancement only possible if allied with right people.

Immediate managers have since been removed and I understand that the work environment, ethics and culture has improved significantly.
JUNIOR PLANNER/SCHEDULER
JUNIOR PLANNER/SCHEDULER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2013
As stated in resume:

• Responsible for maintaining, monitoring and updating the forecast schedule for project deliverables (activities/documents) in Primavera P6 & PM+
• Reported to Project Management Office (PMO) and Engineering on the progress/variance of project deliverables with respect to the baseline schedule
• Transferred crucial project data from PMO and Engineering into the Manpower Forecasting & Leveling (MFL) module