SNC-Lavalin

SNC-Lavalin Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
colleagues, benefits, challenges, family
Business Intelligence analyst (Current Employee), Montreal (canada)July 25, 2013
Pros: working environment and spirit of work
Cons: it's in montreal
Actually working at SNC is great:

- colleagues are amazing

- benefits are great

- the job is most of the time very interesting

- I had the opportunity to have great challenges

The IT department is like a family and working is such conditions is great.
Lot of opportunies to enhance the knowledge
Senior Planning Engineer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 22, 2013
Good working Culture. Systematic and methodical.

Overall ok.
accounts payable clerk
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Campbellton, NBJuly 14, 2013
Pros: working with the public
Cons: eight to four g reat hours but i liked the seven to three hours shifts better
Paid invoices for various customers.
Filing
Telephone Skills
Research for invoices not paid
Worked with regular invoices, utilities
Worked well with co workers

Was on the social committee. Organized events for the company. Was secretary.
Acheteur (Current Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 12, 2013
Good experience to work for but job security is 0.

Lots of possibility for change.
Great work life balance
Senior - Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee), CalgaryJune 18, 2013
Up and coming EPC ... new management
Great work life balance.
Great people.
flexibility in current role; lack of advancement opportunity in unit
Regional Administrator - Atlantic (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 21, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: lack of self / career development
Highly administrative role with daily routine tasks. Looking for career vs job. Small office of 3 where I work independently most days (management away). Manager supportive and understandable of work demands during peak periods, and opportunity for more flexibility when demands are low. Enjoy office and co-workers but not in line of business I wish – more... to continue to pursue. – less
Friendly good environment to work
Document Controller (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONMay 19, 2013
Pros: people are great
Cons: the job is unpredictable with stability
I am able to come to work happy, I know exactly what I will be doing for the day, we all work as a team.

I have learned a lot at SNC I feel it has made me Appreciate having a job and that even though sometimes it may be hectic, I know I can get it done.

The management is understanding and willing to help.
Our co-workers are fantastic they are always – more... willing to help.

The hardest part of the job is being the way things constantly change and there is no room to feel comfortable that I will have a job once a project ends or even when you are placed on a project it may get bought out.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the core hours 9-4 you are able to start at 7,8,9 as long as you work your 9 hours. – less
Good working environment
Procurement Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 15, 2013
Pros: work/life balance
Cons: bad reputation
Great people at SNC, made many friends. The work was interesting, learned lots about EPC.
JUNIOR PLANNER/SCHEDULER
JUNIOR PLANNER/SCHEDULER (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 10, 2013
As stated in resume:

• Responsible for maintaining, monitoring and updating the forecast schedule for project deliverables (activities/documents) in Primavera P6 & PM+
• Reported to Project Management Office (PMO) and Engineering on the progress/variance of project deliverables with respect to the baseline schedule
• Transferred crucial project data – more... from PMO and Engineering into the Manpower Forecasting & Leveling (MFL) module – less
Challenging Job
Construction supervisor (Former Employee), Cambridge Bay Area, NWTMay 8, 2013
Pros: challenging project site
Cons: needed more support staff
-Typical day
for construction of mine construction camp and site infrastructure including: residence buildings, roads, airstrip with navigational aids, earthworks, blasting, fuel storage tanks\piping and containment and dispensing, power generation and distribution, potable water and sewage piping and treatment installations, structural steel and concrete. – more... Also perform QC of works.
• Direct\assist construction trade forces• Ensure workers follow safety procedures and training
• Ensure Owner owned equipment is fully certified for use and arrange for qualified service technicians
• Attend daily construction meetings and participate in site training programs
• Inspection construction works and ensure Contractors submit as-constructed data, testing and QC information
• Assist Engineering Design with submission of site information.
• Submit daily progress\site issue report to Project and Construction Managers.
• Resolve site construction issues and problems

-What I Learned
Persistence gets the job done

-Management
Team effort works better

-Co-workers
Everybody needs to be on the same work page every day

-Hardest Part of the Job
Everybody understanding constraints of working in remote and isolated environments

-Most Enjoyable Part Of this Job
My work is Completed – less
Great engineering experience at the project level
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 8, 2013
Pros: weekly health and safety meetings, lunch and learn meetings, free coffee and juice, ergonomic work environment
Cons: only worked there for four months during the summer
I had the opportunity last summer to work at SNC-Lavalin as an engineering assistant. When I got there, there were several learning modules on the computers to help me learn more about the company, and projects that SNC was involved in. From this experience, I was able to learn how an engineering firm worked at the project management level. I created – more... workflow diagrams and online modules for sections such as change management, lessons learned, and health and safety. I can definitely say that the engineering industry is very "procedural" based, as there are numerous types of workflows for documents in each department. The work environment itself was also amazing. All the employees were fantastic, there were interesting meetings going on every week for employees to apply and learn new things (such as ergonomics 101, help for creating a report, etc), health and safety meetings every week to keep us on our toes, and the office had ergonomic furniture and lighting too (very good for the eyes and back). The hardest part I'd have to say is adjusting to it at the very beginning. I never had a chance to work at an office and was piled with lots of work from time to time. Skills that I have transferred into my portfolio would be communication, time management, organization, problem solving and leadership skills. – less
Good place to work, global company
Senior Buyer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 15, 2013
Pros: good place to work
Cons: project based company, no projects no work
A good company to work for, a global organization with a compensation package.
Good Compensation, Professionally Challlenging
Project Engineer Electrical (Former Employee), Calgary, CanadaApril 9, 2013
Pros: professionally good work place
Cons: managment is weak
Good Company professionally but Management is little weak.
very fast paced environment
Sr. Administrative Assistant to Vice-President (Former Employee), Mount Pearl, NLMarch 26, 2013
Pros: friendly environment - face paced - people oriented
Cons: contractual position
enjoyed the many challenges presented to me in my position of senior admin, however working within a contractual position was unsure when my position would be finished.
co-workers made the work enjoyable, short staff led to excessive disorganization
General Helper (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 18, 2013
Pros: great food and lodging
Cons: long hours, longer than normal to get the work done
I found the workload very heavy at times when I was working as it was short staff with high turnover rates which made getting accustomed to a routine difficult to do.
5 Stars company
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee), Oakville, OntarioJanuary 15, 2013
- Solid company, nice teams, good place to work, excellent benefits, interesting & challenging work
- Negotiate with the Client SNC SWO's (service work orders): define the scope and the cost associated with our activities, help the discipline leads & engineers to define their scope of work, define deliverables and estimate the right amount of engineering – more... hours needed, obtain the Client acceptance for the SWO's.
- Team building and create a healthy (& pleasant) team work environment, conflict resolution, etc.
- Stage Gate meetings: play an active role in the decision making process ("kill" or "go" decision).
- Active part of project construction & commissioning: lead the team, vendors and stakeholders, support construction & engineering teams the field activities.
- Initiate, organize, facilitate & participate in problem solving process during all project phases (initiation, planning, execution, monitoring & control and closure). – less
Productive and very proffesional
Process Engineer (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 4, 2013
Very professional environment,updated technology and fun to work.
Very nice staff and well organized company.
Turmoil
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 29, 2012
Undergone poorly managed change, compounded with an understanding that advancement only possible if allied with right people.

Immediate managers have since been removed and I understand that the work environment, ethics and culture has improved significantly.
Beautiful Camp Surmont II, Poor management, lack of respect for employees, negative morale makes this a bad company to work for
Guest Services (Former Employee), Surmont IINovember 27, 2012
Pros: great hardworking people outside of the management
Cons: work the people too hard, no appreciation for hard work, always expect better, do not run the camp in a professional manner
Management is very disorganize and very dishonest to the employees. There is a low morale because of the poor treatment and respect of the employee. Understandable why the Union is being invited by the employees. Lack of living quarters onsite, busing workers to camps up to 1 hour away daily is very unacceptable. Co-workers overall are very hard working – more... good people who deserve better. Everybody is very scared of being terminated. Workers' are being terminated with no notice or no valid reason. Surmont II camp is a beautiful camp. Would like to continue to work at the camp, if another Facilitator were to take over the contract. Believe it is only a matter of time until this becomes a reality. – less

December 18, 2012

I too can attest to the exact comment worked one rotation and have nom idea how they get away with treating employees with such a lack of respect and expectations that u work till u drop I too had to be bussed in to surmont and also was going to go to manager on my first day to inform them the work load was unacceptable but was told if I do they would fire me. I stuck it out for my 21 days and high tailed it out of there I feel for the workers that have no choice to put up with the treatment

May 20, 2013

Poorest management team I've worked under in 30 yrs. In the last month at the weekly 'Safety meetings" the GM has blamed the workers for a bedbug infestation; the VP of Operations ecouraged us to 'seek other opportunities outside the company' if we weren't happy with the working coondition @ Surmount and; the President of SNC O&M said the reason for so many employees quitting was not because of poor working conditions but that we were not 'inclusive' and acted unfriendly to new hires. A complete culture of 'take it or leave it'.

Very poor
1st cook (Former Employee), Surmont lodge 2November 20, 2012
Cons: unorginized
Hired 18 new hires then laid off everyone and all they did was put us up in a hotel room for the night stay away from this place there trying to bust the union go local 47 :)

About SNC-Lavalin

Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is one of the leading engineering and construction groups in the world and a major player in the – Read more