SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews

Terrible, unqualified managers who cover up their ineptitude by pushing staff to do their job. Frequent reminders that the job market is sparse.
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Canada25 March 2017
The compensation for the hours worked and stress is very low. Staff is under stress as they are reminded constantly that they are lucky to have a job. Totally unqualified managers with lowest ethics I have ever encountered. Learned nothing and conversely had management consistently take credit for the staff's personal work.
Coworkers are amazing but underappreciated. Often they hire entry level workers that they can abuse and don't know any better as they have never worked at a reputable company before.

Maybe other departments are better but mine was abysmal.
Pros
Cons
Lots
The projects are good to work on just the company is not good or management
Health Safety and Environment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 November 2016
Working there over 10 years and they upright and get rid of a lot of people anyone that was doing their job the slackers get kept and they are very judgemental on nationalities especially in western Canada and Atlantic Canada. There is no advancement and their human resource people are not good to deal with. This company prays on the disadvantaged. The top management are good but the middle and lower management are bad and the top management are not able to keep an eye on every project and project management. Seen a lot of people come and go while I worked there some even hurting big time for work and watched management lay them off and keep people who were not even doing there work because they kept there groupees
Pros
Like the projects
Cons
Terrible mismanaged company
Very stressful situation
Property Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 November 2016
Management was unprofessional and ignorant. Going to work was extremely stressful as you judged how you day was going to go depending on the greeting from the manager each morning. Most days the manager was nasty, negative, condesending and a micro manager who should never have been in the position of property manager. Property Manager interference with project management caused undue stress and anger from the staff involved. The most enjoyable part of the day was looking forward to going home to a peaceful setting.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Unprofessional Management
Good People & a very good workplace for everyone.
Sr. Instrument Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2017
Good People & a very good workplace for everyone. Benefits are awesome and all employees are friendly and helpful with each other.
its also a place wherein continuous learning for the employees are available thru continuous training's and seminars.
Pros
free coffees and donuts every friday courtesy of the department managers
Cons
My best years working in the field was at SNC-Lavalin
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON27 October 2016
I was given great opportunities for advancement and growth. Unfortunately, the management was lacking which created some challenges to the success of the company.
Cared about their employees, great environment to work in
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 January 2017
Great place to work, they cared about the well being of their employees.

Fast pace environment which kept working there interesting and challenging.

Management encouraged training when needed for growth opportunity.

Deadlines were a little challenging at times but not unrealistic.

Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with amazing people!!!
Nightmarish Hellscape
Office Services Asst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 February 2017
The worst company I have ever worked for, by a country mile. Rampant nepotism, a poisonous office culture, leading to dispirited, morose employees. A prevailing atmosphere of despair and hopelessness,
Pros
Central location of corporate office
Cons
Literally everything else
Good people, very bad management
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 June 2016
IT at SNC-Lavalin was fun until around 2003. Prior to that, it felt like a second family and people worked there because they like their collegues, bosses and their job.

After that, multiple internal IT reorganisations seeded chaos, fear and uncertainty year after year after year. Job advancement were cancelled many times, fake promotion given to 'selected few' b*tt-kissers, etc. The mood was sour, people became sour too and we worked for the money and that's it. And we are not even talking about the company's leader who frauded their own employees here. We worked tirelessly for them though and the gratitude was non-existant. Not even a thank you.

The management was bad because IT was run by people that didnt understand IT or by people that had no background in it. Promotion to people that didnt even held a College Degree and asked to manage very highly skilled people that had BSc in Enginering or Computer Science was bound to fail. And it failed too.
Pros
Ambiance with collegues.
Cons
Bad management
Productive and fun place for work
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC11 March 2017
SNC Lavalin is a productive and fun work place. A multi-national company that provides the opportunity to grow with the support of the top management. A lot of lessons to learn.
Pros
Free accommodation and transportation
Cons
Normal hours
Good management but salary doesn't match with the high living expenses.
Intermediate Civil Structural Designer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 November 2016
There are many kind people working in the group, and I am appreciated working with them. I learned to embrace everyone's opinion and try not to discourage their effort. Managers are very kind-hearted people, they will listen to employee's development needs. There are many coworkers that are very helpful when I ask questions. And when they encountered difficulties, I always help them back. The hardest part of the job will be maintaining my life quality with the salary that I got, I can barely pay my bills, the supervisor mentions that they cannot control how much employee got, only HR can decide how much employee can get. HR doesn't understand how difficult the employee's low pay affecting their live quality, and they will always cut down the increase of salary. No matter how much effort the employee is putting towards company's development. The most enjoyable part of the job are I can help with other coworkers to solve their technical problem and they appreciated my help. Also I am able to learn new drafting technique with company approved program.
Pros
Learning Opportunities, good managers, very friendly people
Cons
Low pay that doesn't match with high living expenses
A good place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2016
Good place to work and build a career but with no long term job security. Very friendly co-workers and management. Company provides basic benefits.
An enjoyable time and good working enviroment
Senior Piping Designer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2017
Productive and learned a lot about other types of plants, worked well with management, interacted with of level of disciplines, sorry they have no work at present in the mining sector.
Productive workplace
Ingénieur civil (Former Employee) –  René Levesque27 December 2016
Many different projects and learning new things everyday. People are nice and always willing to help. There are courses offered to advance oneself in the company.
Pros
different projects
Cons
Good
Construction Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 March 2017
Work for SNC Lavilin has been a good experience. the salary is really good and the support staff is efficient and help full.
Great atmosphere
ISO Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2016
People are their best asset as they are always willing to help and help you succeed. Company with a lot of opportunities and if you are willing to work hard, you will be given the opportunity.
Great Workplace
Manager of Project Engineering (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
Great company with great people. Interesting work and a large group of excellent resources to access for career development.
Fun WorkPlace
Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 November 2016
Working at Snc- Lavalin was a great experience for me, I learned a lot of valuable skills. I love what I did, People work hard and are successful.
Good benefits, great people
Project Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 April 2016
There was amazing opportunity for advancement when I started, the people were great. Lots of events, whether company driven or individuals arranged them.
Good benefits and the company is big on working with your work/life balance.
Pros
Gym, people, events, benefits
Cons
No work
Challenging work, good benefits
Mechanical/Piping/Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 January 2017
Given opportunity in different design disciplines to develop skills. Flexible work hours. Colleagues were always respectful and helpful when required. Most satisfying part of the job was at completion of a project where you could see what you helped design. Hardest part was balancing priorities between different projects.
Pros
Challenging and learned a lot.
Cons
Uncertainty about office remaining open.
Some managers did not care about staffs. Only push them work and work.
Sr. CAD Draftsperson (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2016
- have learned a lot of electrical design and drafting in P&C, Telecom, SCADA and outdoor Electrical drawings from all Engineers.
- have promoted my CAD skills in Microstation from V7 into V8i and 2D into 3D modeling.
- have understanding CSA code from drafting procedures and Engineers.
- more chance to communicate with Engineers and other drafters.
- Solved practical problems and provide effective drafting solutions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SNC-Lavalin. Our community is ready to answer.