SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews

Management-heavy organization
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2017
Decent salaries and benefits packages for all employees, but the top-heavy management levels of this organization leads to a bureaucratic web that takes 6 layers of approval to get anything done. While some of that can't be helped with such a large international organization, even during the current harsh economic times they have retained an inordinate amount of VPs/execs despite a significant reduction in the regular employee base that actually conducts the work.

Workplace culture can also be a tad divisive at times, with more efforts required on inter-discipline coordination / team-building. The hardest part of the job is maintaining 100% billable hours during the harsh economic times when client project budgets are scant and lay-offs abound.
Pros
Flex time, Deferred Profit Sharing Program
Cons
extensive bureacracy, stringent billable hours requirements
Superb mentor in the Structural Department
Junior Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2017
in my 4 years of experience, i enjoyed superb mentorship from one of the best structural engineers in Canada. My mentor was able to guide me through a wide variety of projects with rapidly increasing independence. The projection for professional growth is immense. The work environment is professional, friendly and safe.
Don't like the HR
Document Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2017
I had been severely harassed, touched, by a co-worker and they grilled me like I was the guilty party. I did not like the way they handled it. They did not keep it confidential.
Pros
Some Fun co workers
Cons
Poor training, poor HR
Very good place to work.Over many years of experience with SNC I have very good feeling about this Company
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 June 2017
Excellent Company with good benefits,friendly environment.Possibilities of working in the field and overseas.Very good management team.
I started as a Junior Engineer and became Lead Engineer in a very short time.
Hard work is very much appreciated and rewarded by the Company.
Pros
Flexible hours, many different kinds of jobs possible within the Company
Cons
Too big Company.Sometimes not too personal
Love cooking
Cook (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 June 2017
This is a Oil Sand in fort Mcmurray base camp , we use to fide 4500. people in this camp , now we serve 1000--- 1200 people , its a grate Camp . very friendly staff. soo fan to work hare.
good
Deputy Engineering Manager, El-Halassa Project (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2017
a good company to get exciting engineering fill. They have projects in mining, nuclear, transportation, power and many other exciting fields. Work is complex and high quality. If you want to be a hard core engineer SNC is it
Pros
very large projects in canada
Cons
currently very slow in mining
Admin Assistant
Admin (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON30 May 2017
Full time employment. Very busy position. A typical day was spent doing computer work reviewing various and preparing contracts. The hardest part was way too much work as the company could not keep Managers.
Pros
Working in a courthouse was educational.
Cons
Not enough help.
Great Place to work
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 May 2017
I was there for almost 2 years, and I truly enjoyed the various job tasks that had been given to me. If it wasn't for the fact of moving to Toronto because of my change of marital status, I would have stayed at the company.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
No Cons
Great
Quality Assurance Site Lead/ Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan18 May 2017
Great company to work for people were all good, lots of laughs. I don't exactly know why indeed forces people to do this. If you don't like the job quit it's that simple.
Très bien.
Spécialiste en formation et démarrage de projets (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 May 2017
Environnement professionnel. Collaboration et travail d'équipe!
Professionalisme et respect.
QA QC Advisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 May 2017
Pour des défies hors du commun et un environnement de travail stimulant.
You get out what you put in
Buyer, Projects (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2017
- Rewarding work place if you are willing to commit and to take and active role.
- Disciplines can tend to work in siloes with no strong effort from management to encourage increased collaborative work.
Great place to
Senior Lead Project Buyer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
SNC is a great company to work. It's the best Canadian company operating globally and bringing great value.
I feel proud that I worked with such a great employer who provided a great learning, mentoring and performing opportunity for me.Inclusive and diverse culture.
Pros
Learning and work life balance
Cons
job sustainability due to project based busniess
Typical consulting company
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2017
Typical consulting company
Bureaucratic in nature due to its size
Slow to react to changes and high overhead cost
Fun place to work at
Great flexibility
Automation Engineer
Automation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2017
Overall good company to work for, when they have projects.
Most people are nice to work with, and work can be enjoyable.
When they do not have projects, and work is reduced, it is a different story!
Good People & a very good workplace for everyone.
Sr. Instrument Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2017
Good People & a very good workplace for everyone. Benefits are awesome and all employees are friendly and helpful with each other.
its also a place wherein continuous learning for the employees are available thru continuous training's and seminars.
Pros
free coffees and donuts every friday courtesy of the department managers
Cons
Terrible, unqualified managers who cover up their ineptitude by pushing staff to do their job. Frequent reminders that the job market is sparse.
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Canada25 March 2017
The compensation for the hours worked and stress is very low. Staff is under stress as they are reminded constantly that they are lucky to have a job. Totally unqualified managers with lowest ethics I have ever encountered. Learned nothing and conversely had management consistently take credit for the staff's personal work.
Coworkers are amazing but underappreciated. Often they hire entry level workers that they can abuse and don't know any better as they have never worked at a reputable company before.

Maybe other departments are better but mine was abysmal.
Pros
Cons
Lots
Neglected employees
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2017
No real training or safety essential courses were given. Expected to know your job and position first day you arrive. They have a hard time letting problem employees go. Creating animosity within the job.
Pros
Usually close to main cities if not in the city.
Cons
No training or real safety
Productive and fun place for work
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC11 March 2017
SNC Lavalin is a productive and fun work place. A multi-national company that provides the opportunity to grow with the support of the top management. A lot of lessons to learn.
Pros
Free accommodation and transportation
Cons
Normal hours
N-a
Superviseur, Adjointe exécutive (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 March 2017
Le travail était très diversifié d'une journée à l'autre. J'ai gravi les échelons en passant par différentes étapes dans le secrétariat. Les employés et les patrons sont tous des personnes avec qui il est très agréable de travailler. L'aspect le plus difficile était la rencontre des échéanciers mais en général tout ce déroulait très bien.
Pros
bonne ambiance
Cons
trop de changements lors des réorganisations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SNC-Lavalin. Our community is ready to answer.