SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews

Challenging work, good benefits
Mechanical/Piping/Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 January 2017
Given opportunity in different design disciplines to develop skills. Flexible work hours. Colleagues were always respectful and helpful when required. Most satisfying part of the job was at completion of a project where you could see what you helped design. Hardest part was balancing priorities between different projects.
Pros
Challenging and learned a lot.
Cons
Uncertainty about office remaining open.
Productive workplace
Ingénieur civil (Former Employee) –  René Levesque27 December 2016
Many different projects and learning new things everyday. People are nice and always willing to help. There are courses offered to advance oneself in the company.
Pros
different projects
Cons
It was a pleasure working with this company. We had great Christmas parties,bowling parties and some potluck lunches.
Engineering Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 December 2016
I enjoyed working with this company very much.
It was very fast pace and challenging at times.
The people I work with made it one of the most enjoying work experiencing I have ever had.
Pros
Working with a great team
Cons
With this type of work there is a lot of work or nothing.
Some managers did not care about staffs. Only push them work and work.
Sr. CAD Draftsperson (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2016
- have learned a lot of electrical design and drafting in P&C, Telecom, SCADA and outdoor Electrical drawings from all Engineers.
- have promoted my CAD skills in Microstation from V7 into V8i and 2D into 3D modeling.
- have understanding CSA code from drafting procedures and Engineers.
- more chance to communicate with Engineers and other drafters.
- Solved practical problems and provide effective drafting solutions.
good company
SENIOR ELECTRICAL DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 December 2016
good to work in this place, I learned a lot in new designing fields
a lot of experienced engineers and technician, amazing IT.
Very good relations between coworkers.
Pros
learning lunches, help from more expirenced
Great company,
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2016
a great company with professional and friendly people, learned process and procedures everyday. Only it was bad that the project was ended too soon, all the team members were relocated or left this company.
An extremelly motivating work place where you have a lot of fun working
Inspection Coordinator,Material Controller (Former Employee) –  Montréal, Nunavik, Mauritania1 December 2016
A company which gave me the chance to prove what I am capable to do as a hard working guy,a company where I succeeded to achieve my goals in learning each new aspect of each position I held, to acomplish all my taks and finding all the time solutions for each kind of problems occured
Great Workplace
Manager of Project Engineering (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
Great company with great people. Interesting work and a large group of excellent resources to access for career development.
Good management but salary doesn't match with the high living expenses.
Intermediate Civil Structural Designer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 November 2016
There are many kind people working in the group, and I am appreciated working with them. I learned to embrace everyone's opinion and try not to discourage their effort. Managers are very kind-hearted people, they will listen to employee's development needs. There are many coworkers that are very helpful when I ask questions. And when they encountered difficulties, I always help them back. The hardest part of the job will be maintaining my life quality with the salary that I got, I can barely pay my bills, the supervisor mentions that they cannot control how much employee got, only HR can decide how much employee can get. HR doesn't understand how difficult the employee's low pay affecting their live quality, and they will always cut down the increase of salary. No matter how much effort the employee is putting towards company's development. The most enjoyable part of the job are I can help with other coworkers to solve their technical problem and they appreciated my help. Also I am able to learn new drafting technique with company approved program.
Pros
Learning Opportunities, good managers, very friendly people
Cons
Low pay that doesn't match with high living expenses
The projects are good to work on just the company is not good or management
Health Safety and Environment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 November 2016
Working there over 10 years and they upright and get rid of a lot of people anyone that was doing their job the slackers get kept and they are very judgemental on nationalities especially in western Canada and Atlantic Canada. There is no advancement and their human resource people are not good to deal with. This company prays on the disadvantaged. The top management are good but the middle and lower management are bad and the top management are not able to keep an eye on every project and project management. Seen a lot of people come and go while I worked there some even hurting big time for work and watched management lay them off and keep people who were not even doing there work because they kept there groupees
Pros
Like the projects
Cons
Terrible mismanaged company
Fun WorkPlace
Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 November 2016
Working at Snc- Lavalin was a great experience for me, I learned a lot of valuable skills. I love what I did, People work hard and are successful.
Very stressful situation
Property Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 November 2016
Management was unprofessional and ignorant. Going to work was extremely stressful as you judged how you day was going to go depending on the greeting from the manager each morning. Most days the manager was nasty, negative, condesending and a micro manager who should never have been in the position of property manager. Property Manager interference with project management caused undue stress and anger from the staff involved. The most enjoyable part of the day was looking forward to going home to a peaceful setting.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Unprofessional Management
summary
Power engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
building manager, been here for almost 3 years taking care of tenant spaces , dealing with tenants and budgeting projects from boilers to chillers to roof repairs, to asphalt projects. making sure mechanical room and tenats are in good order.
Great atmosphere
ISO Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2016
People are their best asset as they are always willing to help and help you succeed. Company with a lot of opportunities and if you are willing to work hard, you will be given the opportunity.
Team Environment
Electrical Superintendent (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL30 October 2016
Organized, Functional and overall well balanced place to work. Good international opportunities if you are willing to take them
Great team work
Welders Helper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 October 2016
They had great leader ship and mentoring programs. Acomplished a lot as a team. I have worked in construction for many years yet had not built a light rail transit system before. The supervisors and the senoir experienced members of the team showed us step by step how to efficiently and safly accomplish the tasks at hand. I would work for them again for sure.
Pros
Felt like a member of the team
Cons
Short term employment
My best years working in the field was at SNC-Lavalin
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON27 October 2016
I was given great opportunities for advancement and growth. Unfortunately, the management was lacking which created some challenges to the success of the company.
Highly professional and quality oriented
Field Quality Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2016
Enjoyed working with company and learned about HVDC Power line construction.
The work environment was very friendly with lots of scope of learning and different kinds of training for development with company.
Site Job living in work camp
Cost Control Specialist/Site Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Jansen, SK20 October 2016
Working at a construction site and living in camp is a different experience that is not for everyone. The isolation of such a job is often the hardest part of the job but sometimes it can be one of the best parts of the job. Working and living in such close quarters with your co-workers you soon learn a lot about them and often some strong bonds are formed. Usually the camaraderie among co-workers makes for a great work environment.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
isolation
Good people in a productive and professional environment.
Western RegionProject Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 September 2016
Hired on a contractual basis that was to evolve into a permanent position before the project was cancelled by the client for reasons unrelated to performance by the company or team. Great job and coworkers.