SNC-Lavalin

SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great engineering experience at the project level
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 8, 2013
Pros: weekly health and safety meetings, lunch and learn meetings, free coffee and juice, ergonomic work environment
Cons: only worked there for four months during the summer
I had the opportunity last summer to work at SNC-Lavalin as an engineering assistant. When I got there, there were several learning modules on the computers to help me learn more about the company, and projects that SNC was involved in. From this experience, I was able to learn how an engineering firm worked at the project management level. I created workflow diagrams and online modules for sections such as change management, lessons learned, and health and safety. I can definitely say that the engineering industry is very "procedural" based, as there are numerous types of workflows for documents in each department. The work environment itself was also amazing. All the employees were fantastic, there were interesting meetings going on every week for employees to apply and learn new things (such as ergonomics 101, help for creating a report, etc), health and safety meetings every week to keep us on our toes, and the office had ergonomic furniture and lighting too (very good for the eyes and back). The hardest part I'd have to say is adjusting to it at the very beginning. I never had a chance to work at an office and was piled with lots of work from time to time. Skills that I have transferred into my portfolio would be communication, time management, organization, problem solving and leadership skills.
EPC company
Senior Piping Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2015
Energy Industries Engineering & Design (EIED) was established in 1996 by the engineering division of the Oil Industries’ Engineering & Construction (OIEC) Group- itself the main leader in Iran’s engineering and construction.
Thus, EIED carries a legacy of nearly two decades ofexperience in oil, gas and petrochemical industries.
EIED was founded to develop technical knowledge and applied sciences in the field of energy industries, mainly in oil, gas, petrochemicals and renewable energies, while moving towards a leading role in execution of EPC Projects of national significance in these industries.
EIED is a private company and a subsidiary of OIEC Group. Today,EIED is considered internationally as a highly qualified company in the engineering and design of energy industries,and is offering Engineering , Procurement ,and Construction Management Services to clients in accordance with the state of the art technologies and management systems.
Presently, EIED is an advanced quality and result-oriented company providing its services to both national and international clients.
EIED has completed many EP projects and is currently involved in several Engineering and EPCC projects all being indispensable to national industrial
development. EIED’s highly qualified and dedicated staff are driven by creativity, motivation and ambition to move forward their country’s energy industries in order to meet the twenty-first century technological challenges.
Good pay , great lodgings, good food
sandwich lead (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 11, 2014
Pros: my own private room, free internet, free meals.free lodging, free transportation to and from ft mcmurray. i could save money and pay off debts.
Cons: missing familybut having internet was awesome so i could skype everyday and that made it easier.
A typical night at work ( I always worked the night shift) was preparing and making sandwiches for 1600 to 2900 people.It consisted of a lot of work but I enjoyed my job.I had to use up what I could from dinner leftovers for sandwiches, wraps , pizzas etc plus making the regular sandwiches. (ham/cheese, p. butter etc)
I also made up trays of sandwiches for functions and meetings.
I learned that everyone has strengths but are different so I would put each person where they were strongest suited. I learned not only to to listen but to hear. I learned how to give constructive criticism
I didn't really have too much to do with management. I enjoyed my co workers except for the ones who didn't work as hard as everyone else. I believe in fairness. The hardest part of my job was seeing certain people abuse work in other areas...reported them but nothing was done about it at the time. That was frustrating. I loved being in camp and I was good at my job. I love working with people and I love being part of a team where the work is distributed evenly and each doing their share. That's what I did when i was lead.
The most enjoyable part of my job was feeling valued for the hard work that I did.
Challenging Job
Construction supervisor (Former Employee), Cambridge Bay Area, NWTMay 8, 2013
Pros: challenging project site
Cons: needed more support staff
-Typical day
for construction of mine construction camp and site infrastructure including: residence buildings, roads, airstrip with navigational aids, earthworks, blasting, fuel storage tanks\piping and containment and dispensing, power generation and distribution, potable water and sewage piping and treatment installations, structural steel and concrete. Also perform QC of works.
• Direct\assist construction trade forces• Ensure workers follow safety procedures and training
• Ensure Owner owned equipment is fully certified for use and arrange for qualified service technicians
• Attend daily construction meetings and participate in site training programs
• Inspection construction works and ensure Contractors submit as-constructed data, testing and QC information
• Assist Engineering Design with submission of site information.
• Submit daily progress\site issue report to Project and Construction Managers.
• Resolve site construction issues and problems

-What I Learned
Persistence gets the job done

-Management
Team effort works better

-Co-workers
Everybody needs to be on the same work page every day

-Hardest Part of the Job
Everybody understanding constraints of working in remote and isolated environments

-Most Enjoyable Part Of this Job
My work is Completed
Beautiful Camp Surmont II, Poor management, lack of respect for employees, negative morale makes this a bad company to work for
Guest Services (Former Employee), Surmont IINovember 27, 2012
Pros: great hardworking people outside of the management
Cons: work the people too hard, no appreciation for hard work, always expect better, do not run the camp in a professional manner
Management is very disorganize and very dishonest to the employees. There is a low morale because of the poor treatment and respect of the employee. Understandable why the Union is being invited by the employees. Lack of living quarters onsite, busing workers to camps up to 1 hour away daily is very unacceptable. Co-workers overall are very hard working good people who deserve better. Everybody is very scared of being terminated. Workers' are being terminated with no notice or no valid reason. Surmont II camp is a beautiful camp. Would like to continue to work at the camp, if another Facilitator were to take over the contract. Believe it is only a matter of time until this becomes a reality.

December 18, 2012

I too can attest to the exact comment worked one rotation and have nom idea how they get away with treating employees with such a lack of respect and expectations that u work till u drop I too had to be bussed in to surmont and also was going to go to manager on my first day to inform them the work load was unacceptable but was told if I do they would fire me. I stuck it out for my 21 days and high tailed it out of there I feel for the workers that have no choice to put up with the treatment

May 20, 2013

Poorest management team I've worked under in 30 yrs. In the last month at the weekly 'Safety meetings" the GM has blamed the workers for a bedbug infestation; the VP of Operations ecouraged us to 'seek other opportunities outside the company' if we weren't happy with the working coondition @ Surmount and; the President of SNC O&M said the reason for so many employees quitting was not because of poor working conditions but that we were not 'inclusive' and acted unfriendly to new hires. A complete culture of 'take it or leave it'.

Fast-paced workplace with incredible learning opportunities
Proposal Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 15, 2013
Pros: good management, caring coworkers, banked hours (translated into fridays off once a month), health benefits
Cons: long hours, tight deadlines, understaffing
SNC-Lavalin is a big company with many different branches and divisions, so opportunities are endless. Engineers often work on consultant-basis, so there is a lot of back and forth in engineering team between SNC and its competitors. I was fortunate to have a great manager (who did not like micromanagement, believed in me and gave me many opportunities to learn on my own), nice co-workers and an overall good experience. The hardest part was the pace and understaffing - sometimes there were so many projects going on at once that even pulling 12-hour shifts did not seem enough to get things done on time. The most enjoyable part was to work in a great team environment, in which facing any challenge was a growth and learning opportunity.
5 Stars company
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee), Oakville, OntarioJanuary 15, 2013
- Solid company, nice teams, good place to work, excellent benefits, interesting & challenging work
- Negotiate with the Client SNC SWO's (service work orders): define the scope and the cost associated with our activities, help the discipline leads & engineers to define their scope of work, define deliverables and estimate the right amount of engineering hours needed, obtain the Client acceptance for the SWO's.
- Team building and create a healthy (& pleasant) team work environment, conflict resolution, etc.
- Stage Gate meetings: play an active role in the decision making process ("kill" or "go" decision).
- Active part of project construction & commissioning: lead the team, vendors and stakeholders, support construction & engineering teams the field activities.
- Initiate, organize, facilitate & participate in problem solving process during all project phases (initiation, planning, execution, monitoring & control and closure).
A professional atmosphere where I practice my line of work.
Student Engineer (Former Employee), St. John's, NLOctober 17, 2014
A regular day at work, I would go in at 8am to check in than I would proceed to the construction site I was assigned. I would make regular walks through the site and make sure everything is in order and everything is done correctly. Some of the jobs that are completed I would have to check and make sure it is done correctly. Every company has its own rules and regulation, although most companies would have the same because they would have to follow the Canadian standards. What I mean by this is for example the amount of compaction the aggregate needs to be in order to place sidewalk cement over it, another example would be the amount of manholes and catch basins to have and their locations. My group of co-workers were great. Everyone was very nice and very easy to approach. I did not find my job difficult at all and I enjoyed my entire time working with SNC-Lavalin.
Good work environment and great co-workers
Mechanical Engineer in Training (EIT) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 26, 2013
Pros: lots of opportunity for growth, great co-workers and lots of team building activites
A typical day involved reporting directly to the senior mechanical engineer to keep him updated on the progress of my project. I learned about the importance of communication in the workplace, especially when dealing with many different levels of management and co-workers. Being at SNC also taught me a lot about the mining industry and how things are supposed to be done, and the importance of procedure.

My co-workers were very good people, who gladly assisted when a problem arose and offered clarification on a minor issue. It is a very open workplace that helps you build confidence in yourself.

SNC offers plenty of training opportunities to better yourself as an employee and person, with in-house training as well as outside seminars.
Exciting projects. Great team members.
Senior Formatter / Technical Writer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 1, 2012
Pros: working from home
Cons: time difference
I normally work from home on most assignments for SNC-Lavalin. They are a great team to work with. Always professional and available for any questions that I may have.

I typically format and review documents that are part of a large project. This could entail spreadsheets, visio documents, and very large Word documents.

The hardest part of the job is time difference - working with individuals at different ends of Canada. It is not too bad because we are only talking 3 hours the most, but at times it could be a waiting game for either of us. When we do connect, it is very productive.

The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting (virtually only in many cases, as well as physically) the individuals that you work with. Also, working from home is a bonus.
experience
Business System Analyst (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 24, 2014
- Extraction and validation data, using Enterprise One PeopleSoft, and Ms Access,
- Write all procedures and documents for all transactions,
- Make tests on PeopleSoft Enterprise One, to verify that the upgrades are done correctly,
- Verify with the public works of Canada technician all data submitted by SNC Lavalin,
- Verify and evaluate each project to decide if it’s profitable or not,
- Accept and upload data into PeopleSoft Enterprise One in accordance with the Statement of Work,
- Submit project related data to Public Works by the monthly deadline in XML format,
- Ensure data submission was successful and verify data is accurate,
- Reconcile all financial data pertaining to operations and projects,
- Compose and edit procedural and technical documentation in accordance with data that is required
Proactive and friendly work place with a time table for work and fun
Structural Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 13, 2012
Pros: any thing which can make a good memory of a day
Cons: no finishing a task on the day required or having trouble without help
it starts by reviewing last day work or new task, having chat with senior engineers and designers to get an appropriate result in a very timly maner,
from each task get new experience to handle next task in a better way and lesser time
Attending to safety, project schedulling, company general meeting where the speaker are high level or mid level managers or project meeting with department or project manager
Finding sloution for raised problems or prediting problems by looking in to design and calculation with coordinating by others
finishing a task in proper way and on time and it observed by seniors, managers or co workers
SNC Lavalin is one of the leading engineering companies where i had the opporutnity to experience what EPCM is all about.
Intermediate Cost Controller (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 24, 2014
Pros: flexible office hours
Cons: different clients
I had a wonderful and fruitful years with SNC. My co-workers were easy to get along with and we worked as a team. I was involved in project control activities and i had the opportunity to go back in Saudi Arabia to work when the Saudi Aramco project was scheduled for construction. In October, 2011, i decided to push through with the plan of an early retirement. This is the hardest part because i have enjoyed working with the whole project team for many years. I really appreciated the gesture of my project manager to contact him if ever i want to come back to work. After 9 months (July, 2012), he hired me as a part time employee which last until Jan. 2013.
SNC Lavalan review.
Logistic Coordinator (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 1, 2012
Pros: dependable
Cons: all benefits go to the higher ranked vp's and president's of different departments, lower employees receive absolutely no recognition, no bonus payouts other that than office of the president or slightly below
Very dependable company and well established throughout the world. I enjoyed the many projects that I worked on and enjoyed working as a team with others.
I'm a little disappointed with the ongoing problems about kickbacks, however, I'm afraid that it is the norm in third world countries. However, if that did happen here, it is very serious! I will still like to get back with them but because of my age, I believe that they will not. Very disappointed with that, and of course, that can not be mentioned as North American companies are bound not to disclose that. Thanks
Friendly good environment to work
Document Controller (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONMay 19, 2013
Pros: people are great
Cons: the job is unpredictable with stability
I am able to come to work happy, I know exactly what I will be doing for the day, we all work as a team.

I have learned a lot at SNC I feel it has made me Appreciate having a job and that even though sometimes it may be hectic, I know I can get it done.

The management is understanding and willing to help.
Our co-workers are fantastic they are always willing to help.

The hardest part of the job is being the way things constantly change and there is no room to feel comfortable that I will have a job once a project ends or even when you are placed on a project it may get bought out.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the core hours 9-4 you are able to start at 7,8,9 as long as you work your 9 hours.
A very diverse and technology-based environment
Document Controller (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaNovember 2, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, great benefits, coworkers were nice
Cons: no work position security
In the typical work day at SNC, it would be necessary to transmit documents between engineers/vendors/clients. It was a difficult task to get all parties to synchronize with approval systems and making sure the correct health and safety personnel were involved with the correct project/drawings; so once a drawing was finally fully approved and able to be archived it was a fulfilling moment. I find enjoyment in finishing tedious projects that require lots of detail-orientation. I am incredibly organized so that is always a definite benefit for me, because I am always trying to be as efficient as possible.

Positive Work Environment with ability to grow.
Executive Assistant to EVP Construction, Power (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: positive "always learning" enviornment
Cons: long commute
A typical work day consists of multiple routine tasks early in the morning and curving into afternoon training sessions and learning opportunities.
I have learned to be functional and dynamic in any role given to me in a days activities.
Working with Management and being part of a Management role has helped with maintaining an open concept functionality within the work environment.
The hardest part of the job is limiting my responsibilities, because I like to learn and support others in their endeavors.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being busy within my work day.
If you want to work in a Mad Men environment this is the place for you
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 8, 2015
Pros: Good retirement plan
Cons: No respect from Directors
The directors I would work for were men with little view of women.

I got little respect and we are basically considered like our opinion doesnt matter.

You can see a net difference between the directors and the employees who do not have a big title.

I decided to leave because the company was beginning to be unstable and most of us felt like we were working in a prison.

Best decision! I am now working at a company that allows growth and the managers respect the opinions of everyone whether it be an Admin assistant or a Manager.

Also the salary is not something that you can live off.
Great place to work with a flexible, reliable and experienced team
Civil specialist (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 8, 2015
Pros: an environment where employees are comfortable sharing concerns and successes
Excellent work place with good supportive management. The company give the opportunity to balance work and life by allowing working flexible hours. Most enjoyable part of the job was working in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team. The pleasant multicultural environment help a lot to grow professionally as well as personally. Each project require his own specific team. Variety of projects and tasks ranging from the monotonous to developing new ideas or strategies were challenging and exciting.
Happy office environment with a lot of employees benefits (health and bonuses)
Finance Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 30, 2012
Busy office environment, work is stressful but still have time for fun; co-workers are so nice, caring and helpful during tight deadlines on report submission; management cares about the employees by conducting a yearly company summer outings or recreations. The hardest part of the job is claim preparation that needs focus or concentration to avoid mistakes on the accuracy of amounts and attaching proper back-ups; accurate coding of all business transactions and entering them to the general ledger; tracking of account balance differences and bank accounts reconciliation.