SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews in Canada

Good Working Environment
Layout Designer/Smart3D Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
Learning experience was good. Learned about the mining industry from senior designers/engineers. Management was informative about the current situation of the project. My co-workers are the best team I worked with in the project
Pros
Good Compensation
Cons
Job security
Good workplace but no stability at all
Engineering Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
Flexible hours, no stress while working, opportunity to grow skills, nice HR policies, benefits, etc.

Only concern is no stability at all, when you are busy on projects, all seems to be more than fine, but any bad news can reverse the things in no time.

Management should be more responsive while making decisions on terminations. Sometimes they take such a decision that they tend to terminate well skilled resources and retain resources having few or no relevant skills.

However overall this company is quite good to work with.
My work with company was very short (6 months) due to a big loss of three big proposals, which created a low work load and a lot of lay-off.
Instrumentation and Control Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 31, 2016
Good work environment, good atmosphere, good professional people. Unfortunately, to much time spent in extra-social activity and less for professional development activity. Each professional leader, engineer, manager have to avoid the sintagma:
"for this project we need to use technical solution used by company in the past three (...) projects"
Each project is unique and the technology and equipment evolve.
Pros
Good professional engineers (on the group leader level)
Cons
Weak management, with less experienced managers, which determine a lot of loss in proposal area, and an unsafe workplace, pending of workload
Good place to work and gain experience
Area Lead Steam Generation Unit (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 6, 2016
Worked with very experienced and senior engineers. Good working environment, get full support from the seniors when needed. Good job work/life balance and good benefits.
Project Manager/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
Excellent and very exciting place to work collaboratively with great management leading a great team. A high premium is placed on ethics for everyday business conduct. Management vision to become a tier-1 global engineering company well communicated through regular executive blogs. Great company!
Pros
High premium on ethics
Cons
Nil
SNC is a great place to utilize your talents to their potential.
Manager Health and Safety (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 24, 2016
SNC management has one of the best perspectives on property management HSE expectations and methodologies delivering added value of service to its clients.

Unlike some companies, SNC management walks the talk with senior management engaging employees with executives personally performing safety activities, and holding their top team accountable for safety performance.

SNC has a large HSE contingent and a well developed HSE program. Their RFQ claims about safety expectations highly align with what they do.

I am proud to have worked there.
Pros
Management engagement theme, "we care"
Cons
Client contracts can impact employment.
Good people, very bad management
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 1, 2016
IT at SNC-Lavalin was fun until around 2003. Prior to that, it felt like a second family and people worked there because they like their collegues, bosses and their job.

After that, multiple internal IT reorganisations seeded chaos, fear and uncertainty year after year after year. Job advancement were cancelled many times, fake promotion given to 'selected few' b*tt-kissers, etc. The mood was sour, people became sour too and we worked for the money and that's it. And we are not even talking about the company's leader who frauded their own employees here. We worked tirelessly for them though and the gratitude was non-existant. Not even a thank you.

The management was bad because IT was run by people that didnt understand IT or by people that had no background in it. Promotion to people that didnt even held a College Degree and asked to manage very highly skilled people that had BSc in Enginering or Computer Science was bound to fail. And it failed too.
Pros
Ambiance with collegues.
Cons
Bad management
Company is not focus on result but politics only
Corporate Global Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 12, 2016
Management was focus on bringing more control over theirs projects in the past 3 years and was working very hard to do so thru Corporate measures and guidance. The new management decided to return to the "old ways" of each project managing there own interest without cross project synergy and corporate guidance. A complete 180 degree.
Pros
Employees, Pay grade, Canadian success, great tools
Cons
Badly manage, Confused, no guidance
A very diverse and technology-based environment
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaNovember 2, 2015
In the typical work day at SNC, it would be necessary to transmit documents between engineers/vendors/clients. It was a difficult task to get all parties to synchronize with approval systems and making sure the correct health and safety personnel were involved with the correct project/drawings; so once a drawing was finally fully approved and able to be archived it was a fulfilling moment. I find enjoyment in finishing tedious projects that require lots of detail-orientation. I am incredibly organized so that is always a definite benefit for me, because I am always trying to be as efficient as possible.

Pros
flexible hours, great benefits, coworkers were nice
Cons
no work position security
Productive and friendly employees.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 19, 2016
The company helps me elevate my position from project coordinator to field engineer. Give more opportunity to learn new ideas, concepts and construction techniques.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Long Hours
Good work culture
Electrical Commissioning Tech (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 26, 2015
Enjoyable work place. Everyone is very cooperative and helpful. Good safety work culture among all. Fun work place with supportive management.
Productive work place
Project Procurement Manager - (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 27, 2015
7-10 hrs per day.
Learned professionalism and working with clients

Constant management change environment

Coworkers are competitive

Some are amazing

Most enjoyable part of the job, accomplishing the task, and seeing the job being constructed
I liked very much the working ambiance in SNC-Lavalin.
Construction manager (Former Employee) –  world wideMay 6, 2016
As a construction manager, I learned how to manage the project construction, meet the health & safety target of "zero tolerance", work smoothly with my co-workers, perform constructibility analysis prior the full construction implementation, implement construction schedule, staff the project, deliver the project on time and with the budget.
If you want to work in a Mad Men environment this is the place for you
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 8, 2015
The directors I would work for were men with little view of women.

I got little respect and we are basically considered like our opinion doesnt matter.

You can see a net difference between the directors and the employees who do not have a big title.

I decided to leave because the company was beginning to be unstable and most of us felt like we were working in a prison.

Best decision! I am now working at a company that allows growth and the managers respect the opinions of everyone whether it be an Admin assistant or a Manager.

Also the salary is not something that you can live off.
Pros
Good retirement plan
Cons
No respect from Directors
We were like family
Cleaning jobs, kitchen jobs (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 25, 2016
I was with a big family we used to work as a team, we used to encourage each other, to advice each other, I learn more at SNC Lavalin , They always told as to work together as a family, to help each other. I was in the healthy environment. I still miss my team. There was nothing hard, I was enjoyed each and every minute.
Pros
free meals
Tenant Services
Tenant Services Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 4, 2015
A typical work day for me would be manage multiple tasks and responsibilities.
In my past roles, I have improved my communication and problem-solving skills.
I have some management skills, and ensure coordinating groups o people to accomplish the same goals.
I have an outgoing and friendly personality and enjoy working with a variety of different co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is when there is unresolved conflict that managemenDt did not manage quickly.
Pros
Flexiblilty
Cons
Doesn't always stand up for employees against difficult clients.
Good experience and reputable projects
Document Control Supervisor/Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 18, 2016
I enjoyed my work experience at SNC Lavalin Edmonton office. I worked on numerous reputable projects and with several professional and experienced teams in all disciplines.
Pros
Worldwide company
Cons
Edmonton Office reduced staff
Friendly Enviorment
SR. Layout Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Very friendly, supportive staff, as well as healthy environments, Love to go work and learn new things everyday. Good personal benefits. Financial as well as carrere gro company.
Pros
Totally Professional
Cons
free hours
Projects were exciting
AutoCAD Drafting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 19, 2016
I've worked on just about every major aluminum smelter that was built in Quebec. I got to work with some of the engineering managers I've ever met. Learned some professional skills that only come with being and working with them - ethics, drive, commitment to excellence, doing a job beyond the norm. Great place to learn and grow.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Once the jobs done...you have to go on.
Great work environment
Coordonnatrice de voyage senior (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 8, 2015
SNC Lavalin is a very professional organization that offers a great work environment and employee benefits. Personal growth is top of mind when working for SNC Lavalin,