SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews in Canada

Good workplace but no stability at all
Engineering Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
Flexible hours, no stress while working, opportunity to grow skills, nice HR policies, benefits, etc.

Only concern is no stability at all, when you are busy on projects, all seems to be more than fine, but any bad news can reverse the things in no time.

Management should be more responsive while making decisions on terminations. Sometimes they take such a decision that they tend to terminate well skilled resources and retain resources having few or no relevant skills.

However overall this company is quite good to work with.
Good Working Environment
Layout Designer/Smart3D Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
Learning experience was good. Learned about the mining industry from senior designers/engineers. Management was informative about the current situation of the project. My co-workers are the best team I worked with in the project
Pros
Good Compensation
Cons
Job security
A very diverse and technology-based environment
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaNovember 2, 2015
In the typical work day at SNC, it would be necessary to transmit documents between engineers/vendors/clients. It was a difficult task to get all parties to synchronize with approval systems and making sure the correct health and safety personnel were involved with the correct project/drawings; so once a drawing was finally fully approved and able to be archived it was a fulfilling moment. I find enjoyment in finishing tedious projects that require lots of detail-orientation. I am incredibly organized so that is always a definite benefit for me, because I am always trying to be as efficient as possible.

Pros
flexible hours, great benefits, coworkers were nice
Cons
no work position security
Good place to work and gain experience
Area Lead Steam Generation Unit (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 6, 2016
Worked with very experienced and senior engineers. Good working environment, get full support from the seniors when needed. Good job work/life balance and good benefits.
If you want to work in a Mad Men environment this is the place for you
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 8, 2015
The directors I would work for were men with little view of women.

I got little respect and we are basically considered like our opinion doesnt matter.

You can see a net difference between the directors and the employees who do not have a big title.

I decided to leave because the company was beginning to be unstable and most of us felt like we were working in a prison.

Best decision! I am now working at a company that allows growth and the managers respect the opinions of everyone whether it be an Admin assistant or a Manager.

Also the salary is not something that you can live off.
Pros
Good retirement plan
Cons
No respect from Directors
Friendly Enviorment
SR. Layout Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Very friendly, supportive staff, as well as healthy environments, Love to go work and learn new things everyday. Good personal benefits. Financial as well as carrere gro company.
Pros
Totally Professional
Cons
free hours
very large network and many platforms
Network / Citrix Analyst level 2-3 (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 6, 2016
great colleagues and very knowledgeable staff
many platforms and good benefits
over 40000 employees
in over 100 countries
Great work environment
Coordonnatrice de voyage senior (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 8, 2015
SNC Lavalin is a very professional organization that offers a great work environment and employee benefits. Personal growth is top of mind when working for SNC Lavalin,
My work with company was very short (6 months) due to a big loss of three big proposals, which created a low work load and a lot of lay-off.
Instrumentation and Control Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 31, 2016
Good work environment, good atmosphere, good professional people. Unfortunately, to much time spent in extra-social activity and less for professional development activity. Each professional leader, engineer, manager have to avoid the sintagma:
"for this project we need to use technical solution used by company in the past three (...) projects"
Each project is unique and the technology and equipment evolve.
Pros
Good professional engineers (on the group leader level)
Cons
Weak management, with less experienced managers, which determine a lot of loss in proposal area, and an unsafe workplace, pending of workload
SNC is a great place to utilize your talents to their potential.
Manager Health and Safety (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 24, 2016
SNC management has one of the best perspectives on property management HSE expectations and methodologies delivering added value of service to its clients.

Unlike some companies, SNC management walks the talk with senior management engaging employees with executives personally performing safety activities, and holding their top team accountable for safety performance.

SNC has a large HSE contingent and a well developed HSE program. Their RFQ claims about safety expectations highly align with what they do.

I am proud to have worked there.
Pros
Management engagement theme, "we care"
Cons
Client contracts can impact employment.
Project Manager/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
Excellent and very exciting place to work collaboratively with great management leading a great team. A high premium is placed on ethics for everyday business conduct. Management vision to become a tier-1 global engineering company well communicated through regular executive blogs. Great company!
Pros
High premium on ethics
Cons
Nil
Company is not focus on result but politics only
Corporate Global Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 12, 2016
Management was focus on bringing more control over theirs projects in the past 3 years and was working very hard to do so thru Corporate measures and guidance. The new management decided to return to the "old ways" of each project managing there own interest without cross project synergy and corporate guidance. A complete 180 degree.
Pros
Employees, Pay grade, Canadian success, great tools
Cons
Badly manage, Confused, no guidance
Great company to work for
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 21, 2015
Great benefits
There's a big room for career growth
Management is always on point
A great working environment
HR staffs are always helpful when you need help
Excellent job culture and work life balance
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
n/a
Productive and friendly employees.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 19, 2016
The company helps me elevate my position from project coordinator to field engineer. Give more opportunity to learn new ideas, concepts and construction techniques.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Long Hours
Good company to work for. I will work for them again!
SENIOR CONTRACT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 29, 2015
Fast paced working enviroment. I improved my soft and technical skills. Supportive Management. Team oriented environment. Hardest part is the long hours as with every EPCM company.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
The company need more up to date procurement systems.
Tenant Services
Tenant Services Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 4, 2015
A typical work day for me would be manage multiple tasks and responsibilities.
In my past roles, I have improved my communication and problem-solving skills.
I have some management skills, and ensure coordinating groups o people to accomplish the same goals.
I have an outgoing and friendly personality and enjoy working with a variety of different co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is when there is unresolved conflict that managemenDt did not manage quickly.
Pros
Flexiblilty
Cons
Doesn't always stand up for employees against difficult clients.
I liked very much the working ambiance in SNC-Lavalin.
Construction manager (Former Employee) –  world wideMay 6, 2016
As a construction manager, I learned how to manage the project construction, meet the health & safety target of "zero tolerance", work smoothly with my co-workers, perform constructibility analysis prior the full construction implementation, implement construction schedule, staff the project, deliver the project on time and with the budget.
Projects were exciting
AutoCAD Drafting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 19, 2016
I've worked on just about every major aluminum smelter that was built in Quebec. I got to work with some of the engineering managers I've ever met. Learned some professional skills that only come with being and working with them - ethics, drive, commitment to excellence, doing a job beyond the norm. Great place to learn and grow.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Once the jobs done...you have to go on.
We were like family
Cleaning jobs, kitchen jobs (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 25, 2016
I was with a big family we used to work as a team, we used to encourage each other, to advice each other, I learn more at SNC Lavalin , They always told as to work together as a family, to help each other. I was in the healthy environment. I still miss my team. There was nothing hard, I was enjoyed each and every minute.
Pros
free meals
Cons
Great company to work for enjoyed working with all the staff.
Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 17, 2016
I enjoyed the work I did at SNC, I did various jobs there so received a lot of experience. Due to the Oil industry changes I unfortunately was laid off but I would go back to work with them in an instant. I liked the people there and and the clients that they dealt with.