SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews

Very stressful situation
Property Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 November 2016
Management was unprofessional and ignorant. Going to work was extremely stressful as you judged how you day was going to go depending on the greeting from the manager each morning. Most days the manager was nasty, negative, condesending and a micro manager who should never have been in the position of property manager. Property Manager interference with project management caused undue stress and anger from the staff involved. The most enjoyable part of the day was looking forward to going home to a peaceful setting.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Unprofessional Management
Good management but salary doesn't match with the high living expenses.
Intermediate Civil Structural Designer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 November 2016
There are many kind people working in the group, and I am appreciated working with them. I learned to embrace everyone's opinion and try not to discourage their effort. Managers are very kind-hearted people, they will listen to employee's development needs. There are many coworkers that are very helpful when I ask questions. And when they encountered difficulties, I always help them back. The hardest part of the job will be maintaining my life quality with the salary that I got, I can barely pay my bills, the supervisor mentions that they cannot control how much employee got, only HR can decide how much employee can get. HR doesn't understand how difficult the employee's low pay affecting their live quality, and they will always cut down the increase of salary. No matter how much effort the employee is putting towards company's development. The most enjoyable part of the job are I can help with other coworkers to solve their technical problem and they appreciated my help. Also I am able to learn new drafting technique with company approved program.
Pros
Learning Opportunities, good managers, very friendly people
Cons
Low pay that doesn't match with high living expenses
A good place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2016
Good place to work and build a career but with no long term job security. Very friendly co-workers and management. Company provides basic benefits.
The projects are good to work on just the company is not good or management
Health Safety and Environment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 November 2016
Working there over 10 years and they upright and get rid of a lot of people anyone that was doing their job the slackers get kept and they are very judgemental on nationalities especially in western Canada and Atlantic Canada. There is no advancement and their human resource people are not good to deal with. This company prays on the disadvantaged. The top management are good but the middle and lower management are bad and the top management are not able to keep an eye on every project and project management. Seen a lot of people come and go while I worked there some even hurting big time for work and watched management lay them off and keep people who were not even doing there work because they kept there groupees
Pros
Like the projects
Cons
Terrible mismanaged company
Good benefits, great people
Project Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 April 2016
There was amazing opportunity for advancement when I started, the people were great. Lots of events, whether company driven or individuals arranged them.
Good benefits and the company is big on working with your work/life balance.
Pros
Gym, people, events, benefits
Cons
No work
Good Working Environment
Layout Designer/Smart3D Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2016
Learning experience was good. Learned about the mining industry from senior designers/engineers. Management was informative about the current situation of the project. My co-workers are the best team I worked with in the project
Pros
Good Compensation
Cons
Job security
Good workplace but no stability at all
Engineering Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2016
Flexible hours, no stress while working, opportunity to grow skills, nice HR policies, benefits, etc.

Only concern is no stability at all, when you are busy on projects, all seems to be more than fine, but any bad news can reverse the things in no time.

Management should be more responsive while making decisions on terminations. Sometimes they take such a decision that they tend to terminate well skilled resources and retain resources having few or no relevant skills.

However overall this company is quite good to work with.
Good people, very bad management
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 June 2016
IT at SNC-Lavalin was fun until around 2003. Prior to that, it felt like a second family and people worked there because they like their collegues, bosses and their job.

After that, multiple internal IT reorganisations seeded chaos, fear and uncertainty year after year after year. Job advancement were cancelled many times, fake promotion given to 'selected few' b*tt-kissers, etc. The mood was sour, people became sour too and we worked for the money and that's it. And we are not even talking about the company's leader who frauded their own employees here. We worked tirelessly for them though and the gratitude was non-existant. Not even a thank you.

The management was bad because IT was run by people that didnt understand IT or by people that had no background in it. Promotion to people that didnt even held a College Degree and asked to manage very highly skilled people that had BSc in Enginering or Computer Science was bound to fail. And it failed too.
Pros
Ambiance with collegues.
Cons
Bad management
Good place to work and gain experience
Area Lead Steam Generation Unit (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2016
Worked with very experienced and senior engineers. Good working environment, get full support from the seniors when needed. Good job work/life balance and good benefits.
My best years working in the field was at SNC-Lavalin
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON27 October 2016
I was given great opportunities for advancement and growth. Unfortunately, the management was lacking which created some challenges to the success of the company.
A very diverse and technology-based environment
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta2 November 2015
In the typical work day at SNC, it would be necessary to transmit documents between engineers/vendors/clients. It was a difficult task to get all parties to synchronize with approval systems and making sure the correct health and safety personnel were involved with the correct project/drawings; so once a drawing was finally fully approved and able to be archived it was a fulfilling moment. I find enjoyment in finishing tedious projects that require lots of detail-orientation. I am incredibly organized so that is always a definite benefit for me, because I am always trying to be as efficient as possible.

Pros
flexible hours, great benefits, coworkers were nice
Cons
no work position security
SNC is a great place to utilize your talents to their potential.
Manager Health and Safety (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2016
SNC management has one of the best perspectives on property management HSE expectations and methodologies delivering added value of service to its clients.

Unlike some companies, SNC management walks the talk with senior management engaging employees with executives personally performing safety activities, and holding their top team accountable for safety performance.

SNC has a large HSE contingent and a well developed HSE program. Their RFQ claims about safety expectations highly align with what they do.

I am proud to have worked there.
Pros
Management engagement theme, "we care"
Cons
Client contracts can impact employment.
If you want to work in a Mad Men environment this is the place for you
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 October 2015
The directors I would work for were men with little view of women.

I got little respect and we are basically considered like our opinion doesnt matter.

You can see a net difference between the directors and the employees who do not have a big title.

I decided to leave because the company was beginning to be unstable and most of us felt like we were working in a prison.

Best decision! I am now working at a company that allows growth and the managers respect the opinions of everyone whether it be an Admin assistant or a Manager.

Also the salary is not something that you can live off.
Pros
Good retirement plan
Cons
No respect from Directors
Great atmosphere
ISO Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2016
People are their best asset as they are always willing to help and help you succeed. Company with a lot of opportunities and if you are willing to work hard, you will be given the opportunity.
Site Job living in work camp
Cost Control Specialist/Site Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Jansen, SK20 October 2016
Working at a construction site and living in camp is a different experience that is not for everyone. The isolation of such a job is often the hardest part of the job but sometimes it can be one of the best parts of the job. Working and living in such close quarters with your co-workers you soon learn a lot about them and often some strong bonds are formed. Usually the camaraderie among co-workers makes for a great work environment.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
isolation
Fun WorkPlace
Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 November 2016
Working at Snc- Lavalin was a great experience for me, I learned a lot of valuable skills. I love what I did, People work hard and are successful.
Your performance and loyalty is not appreciated
Package Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2015
Big company with lots of technical resources, good benefits and pay, but your job security and advancement is depended on your manager's likeness, but not your performance and loyalty.
Pros
Good technical resources and decent pay
Cons
bad culture
Friendly Enviorment
SR. Layout Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2016
Very friendly, supportive staff, as well as healthy environments, Love to go work and learn new things everyday. Good personal benefits. Financial as well as carrere gro company.
Pros
Totally Professional
Cons
free hours
Great team work
Welders Helper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 October 2016
They had great leader ship and mentoring programs. Acomplished a lot as a team. I have worked in construction for many years yet had not built a light rail transit system before. The supervisors and the senoir experienced members of the team showed us step by step how to efficiently and safly accomplish the tasks at hand. I would work for them again for sure.
Pros
Felt like a member of the team
Cons
Short term employment
An extremelly motivating work place where you have a lot of fun working
Inspection Coordinator,Material Controller (Former Employee) –  Montréal, Nunavik, Mauritania1 December 2016
A company which gave me the chance to prove what I am capable to do as a hard working guy,a company where I succeeded to achieve my goals in learning each new aspect of each position I held, to acomplish all my taks and finding all the time solutions for each kind of problems occured