SMS Equipment Employee Reviews

Heavy Haul Shop Laborer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 September 2016
Great company, just not very secure and i want to get back on the tools. The supervisors are good they treat us well, there is a lack of communication with workers and management.
Good Place to work
Warehouse logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 July 2016
I do like working Here but there is just no room for advancement. The staff is friendly and my manager is understanding of any situation if need time off
Good company, poor managers
Sales Rep and Product Rep (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 May 2015
I worked for SMS for over 5 years. Overall there are many really good people in the organization and I have made a number of great professional friends and acquaintances working here. I found daily that the job was challenging and rewarding.

Unfortunately management is often out of touch with the business and customer base and it was often difficult to get managers to buy in on a good business decision. I found it frustrating and often exhausting to try and do the right thing.

Overall I enjoyed working here and was sorry to leave when I did.
Pros
Great co-workers, good benefits and decent compensation.
Cons
Poor management.
great place to work but when the economy tanks then sales fall off
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 February 2016
great place to work, started off as a heavy duty Mechanic and soon moved into sales. normal day was spent traveling in my sales area and discussing business development with my customers, learned a lot about dealing with people and how to read their body language, management was always helpful and prepared to work with you to improve you business plan, have made some great friends over the years with my co-workers. hardest part of the job was calling on the same people over a long period of time with no success and the most enjoyable was when you did have success with that customer
Pros
the ability to run your own business
Cons
relying on a commision style of pay
Good hours good people,good money
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 October 2015
I have worked for SMS off and on for years. A lot of the people that I worked with where excellent tradesman. they paid a good wage with a lot of great benefits. Would work for them again .
Pros
good people
Cons
not a permanent position
Bad Experience
Warehouse Technician / Shipping & Receiving (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 June 2016
The job overall was not that bad. There was one guy that worked there that always liked to cause trouble. He was friends with the manager so he got away with it
Better part of the company.
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2015
This branch of SMS equipment is good. Lead hands are knowledgeable and willing to help if you have questions. Service manager is a great guy who always tried to make you feel comfortable at the job and excel. Above reproach. Upper management has issues though.
Pros
Good Coworkers, good pay and benefits.
Cons
Still under the corporate structure that is shady at best!
Good Supportive Company
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC/Fort McMurray AB9 November 2014
The company provides a great work environment. They're very supportive, they pay well with decent benefits. The management at certain branches seems to be a bit of a boys' club but for the most part will do their part to help you out in any way they can.
The komatsu line of Equipment is nice to work on
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2016
SMS is a good Place to work. I didn't think it had many opportunities to move ahead, but it was over all not bad and the wage was competitive.
Great Enviroment to work in!
Elkford (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC5 November 2014
Great Enviroment with friendly co- workers
Good benefit package
Salary positions could have a more competitive salary compared with other local businesses
Pros
Great people
Cons
poor salary
Good people
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 November 2015
I only worked here for a short period of time but the people were good and the job allowed for advancement and a decent life work balance.
Good Company
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2016
I enjoyed working at SMS and was sad to leave due to economic downturn. The people were excellent and I gained a ton of experience.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Unstable
Remanufacturing
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,ab17 April 2014
Lots of great people to work with excellent salary they meet market conditions
productive informative place to work
Running repair Electrician (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC28 May 2015
I enjoyed giving customer technical support and the variety of work. A typical day starts with finding out what equipment is down and for what issue, drive to mine site and meet with customer and read comments from shift electricians, then go to downed equipment. I specifically enjoyed solving complex electrical issues.
Pros
involvement in complex problems
Cons
being a contractor and subject to first to go during slowdowns.
I learned a lot from my time spent here.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC12 February 2015
This was my first real business job. I was an administrative assistant to the director of one of the sections of the company.

On any given day, I would answer e-mails for the director, organize and track his appropriate inventory, contact sellers or buyers to follow up on deals, and any other task he may have required me to fulfill.

I also got the opportunity to help out in the accounting department in my last few weeks of work. I would check the debit and credit accounts in all areas to ensure that they were balanced for month's end.
Terrible Infrastructure
Service Supervisor (Field) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 April 2015
management has absolutely no grasp on what is required to run a successful equipment dealership, instead of taking responsibility for the lack of infrastructure they would rather have a fall guy in place to take the blame.
Pros
People
Cons
Awesome co-workers and fun place to work
Warehouse Tech. (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 June 2012
A typical day at work with SMS Equipment...

I'd usually start my day with completing an FLRA, which is a required task. SMS was very strict when it came to safety, which was great.
Next i'd move on to my other daily duties, filling customer orders, shipping/receiving freight, loading/unloading trucks..etc. The most difficult part of my job would have to be working in extreme temperatures, even with the winter attire that SMS provided it was still difficult working in below 30. The most enjoyable part of my job is definitely meeting new people and getting to work with my co-workers.
Pros
safe work environment
Cons
working in extreme temperatures
Meeting new people while learning new skills.
Hone operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2013
Arrived at 6 am. Participated in an exercise program before starting work. While working I learned how to hone large cylinders. Management instilled and demanded safety at all times.Co-workers were pleasant and helpful when needed. My main problem with my job was I had difficulty measuring certain cylinders. I enjoyed learning new procedures that were outside my normal HD Mechanic learning.
Positive work environment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC4 April 2013
Learned new skills every day
Shipper/Receiver responsibilities
Management and co-workers were very supportive
Computer system was a bit complicated
The team spirit and co-operation within the company was second to none
Pros
helpful and patient staff
Cons
i can't think of any
field tech
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB30 March 2015
a typical day at work was going out to work from anywhere around the fsj area to service and repair equipment. management was lacking and so were the jobs