SMS Equipment Employee Reviews

Great work environment/co-workers.
Tech / Service Shop Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 August 2017
Great place to work for heavy duty industry. Quality machines and good techs working on them. Yard is pretty messy once it rains and super dusty when its dry.
Pros
lots of appreciation to employees
Cons
dirty!
Ok
Journeyman Parts Technician (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 June 2017
It was okay working here. Sometimes it felt like if you made a mistake that was pointed out immediately. But if you did something right, that was never acknowledged.
Pay was great but that was it
WAREHOUSE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 June 2017
Pay was great but that was it. The place was ran by immature, moronic warehouse wanna be techs. They did not know how to receive or pick orders and was always hiding behind the union.
Fast paced work environment w/t nice office space
Sales and Warranty Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2017
SMS Equipment is a fast paced environment that relies on specific personalities to move quickly as the company evolves. The time lines for deadlines are crucial.

The best part about SMS Equipment would be seeing how Heavy Equipment is managed from arriving from the factory to shipping it out on delivery to the customer. There are many steps to making sure satisfaction is met and allows very little room for error. This is great for customer demand and competition amongst other dealers. When I worked for SMS Equipment - I felt a sense of pride seeing the equipment on the road or on job sites, knowing how hard it really is to get them there.

The hardest part about SMS Equipment was meeting the demands of so many people with little to no acknowledgment. Working long hours to meet the demands of departments without compensation.

SMS Equipment does have some of the best managers you will have the pleasure of meeting - it was a difficult decision leaving for a healthier career path.
Pros
Office Space
Cons
Uncompensated hours
a good work environment.
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wabush, NL23 February 2017
as a warehouse clerk, i was responsible for all shipping and receiving. my day would start with checking e-mails and notifications. also, i would frequently be in contact with our suppliers and customers, so a good communication skill was required.
good place to work
welder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 December 2016
Working 12 hours day
Good team to work with
lots of welding and fabrication work
Have to work on your knees a lot of the day
great place to work, Pay is good
supplies are provided whenever its needed to complete the job
Heavy Haul Shop Laborer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 September 2016
Great company, just not very secure and i want to get back on the tools. The supervisors are good they treat us well, there is a lack of communication with workers and management.
Good Place to work
Warehouse logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 July 2016
I do like working Here but there is just no room for advancement. The staff is friendly and my manager is understanding of any situation if need time off
Bad Experience
Warehouse Technician / Shipping & Receiving (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 June 2016
The job overall was not that bad. There was one guy that worked there that always liked to cause trouble. He was friends with the manager so he got away with it
great place to work but when the economy tanks then sales fall off
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 February 2016
great place to work, started off as a heavy duty Mechanic and soon moved into sales. normal day was spent traveling in my sales area and discussing business development with my customers, learned a lot about dealing with people and how to read their body language, management was always helpful and prepared to work with you to improve you business plan, have made some great friends over the years with my co-workers. hardest part of the job was calling on the same people over a long period of time with no success and the most enjoyable was when you did have success with that customer
Pros
the ability to run your own business
Cons
relying on a commision style of pay
Good Company
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2016
I enjoyed working at SMS and was sad to leave due to economic downturn. The people were excellent and I gained a ton of experience.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Unstable
The komatsu line of Equipment is nice to work on
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2016
SMS is a good Place to work. I didn't think it had many opportunities to move ahead, but it was over all not bad and the wage was competitive.
Bien organiser
Commis entrepôt magasinier (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC17 December 2015
- Gérer les inventaires, effectuer les procédures de retour de produits avec les clients et fournisseur.
- Gérer une dizaine d’employés dans leurs tâches quotidiennes formation, intervention, etc.)
- Effectuer de la résolution de problèmes entre les transporteurs, fournisseurs et client.
- Tenir en considération les rotations d’inventaire, spéculer sur les couts opérationnels pour exécuter l’analyse des offres promotionnelles des fournisseurs.
- Utiliser le système informatique maison de gestion des stocks.
- Élaborer et maintenir à jour les procédures et processus de travail du service de l’expédition de l’entrepôt.
- Exécuter les autres taches en lien avec l’emploi réquisitionné par son supérieur hiérarchique.
Pros
Activite gratuite
Good people
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 November 2015
I only worked here for a short period of time but the people were good and the job allowed for advancement and a decent life work balance.
Good hours good people,good money
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 October 2015
I have worked for SMS off and on for years. A lot of the people that I worked with where excellent tradesman. they paid a good wage with a lot of great benefits. Would work for them again .
Pros
good people
Cons
not a permanent position
productive informative place to work
Running repair Electrician (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC28 May 2015
I enjoyed giving customer technical support and the variety of work. A typical day starts with finding out what equipment is down and for what issue, drive to mine site and meet with customer and read comments from shift electricians, then go to downed equipment. I specifically enjoyed solving complex electrical issues.
Pros
involvement in complex problems
Cons
being a contractor and subject to first to go during slowdowns.
Good company, poor managers
Sales Rep and Product Rep (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 May 2015
I worked for SMS for over 5 years. Overall there are many really good people in the organization and I have made a number of great professional friends and acquaintances working here. I found daily that the job was challenging and rewarding.

Unfortunately management is often out of touch with the business and customer base and it was often difficult to get managers to buy in on a good business decision. I found it frustrating and often exhausting to try and do the right thing.

Overall I enjoyed working here and was sorry to leave when I did.
Pros
Great co-workers, good benefits and decent compensation.
Cons
Poor management.
Terrible Infrastructure
Service Supervisor (Field) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 April 2015
management has absolutely no grasp on what is required to run a successful equipment dealership, instead of taking responsibility for the lack of infrastructure they would rather have a fall guy in place to take the blame.
Pros
People
always treat me fair
Field Electrician/ Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB4 April 2015
little notice on jobs, sporatic work, lots of short notice travel. fully tooled trucks and trailers. Benefit backage starting to slide behind the times
field tech
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB30 March 2015
a typical day at work was going out to work from anywhere around the fsj area to service and repair equipment. management was lacking and so were the jobs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMS Equipment. Our community is ready to answer.