SMS Equipment

SMS Equipment Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive informative place to work
Running repair Electrician (Current Employee), Elkford, BCMay 28, 2015
Pros: involvement in complex problems
Cons: being a contractor and subject to first to go during slowdowns.
I enjoyed giving customer technical support and the variety of work. A typical day starts with finding out what equipment is down and for what issue, drive to mine site and meet with customer and read comments from shift electricians, then go to downed equipment. I specifically enjoyed solving complex electrical issues.
Good company, poor managers
Sales Rep and Product Rep (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 19, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers, good benefits and decent compensation.
Cons: Poor management.
I worked for SMS for over 5 years. Overall there are many really good people in the organization and I have made a number of great professional friends and acquaintances working here. I found daily that the job was challenging and rewarding.

Unfortunately management is often out of touch with the business and customer base and it was often difficult to get managers to buy in on a good business decision. I found it frustrating and often exhausting to try and do the right thing.

Overall I enjoyed working here and was sorry to leave when I did.
Terrible Infrastructure
Service Supervisor (Field) (Former Employee), Surrey, BCApril 28, 2015
Pros: People
Cons: Management
management has absolutely no grasp on what is required to run a successful equipment dealership, instead of taking responsibility for the lack of infrastructure they would rather have a fall guy in place to take the blame.
always treat me fair
Field Electrician/ Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee), Acheson, ABApril 4, 2015
little notice on jobs, sporatic work, lots of short notice travel. fully tooled trucks and trailers. Benefit backage starting to slide behind the times
field tech
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee), Saint John, NBMarch 30, 2015
a typical day at work was going out to work from anywhere around the fsj area to service and repair equipment. management was lacking and so were the jobs
wonderful people and leadership
PARTS ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Ft. McMurrayFebruary 25, 2015
fast paced, enjoyed the problem solving in relation to parts, inventory, warehousing. Thrived in the high accuracy required
I learned a lot from my time spent here.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCFebruary 12, 2015
This was my first real business job. I was an administrative assistant to the director of one of the sections of the company.

On any given day, I would answer e-mails for the director, organize and track his appropriate inventory, contact sellers or buyers to follow up on deals, and any other task he may have required me to fulfill.

I also got the opportunity to help out in the accounting department in my last few weeks of work. I would check the debit and credit accounts in all areas to ensure that they were balanced for month's end.
Excellent place to work.
Accounts Payable & Payroll Assistant (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: excellent benefit package
I enjoyed my work environment and it was a very positive place to be. It was challenging when the workload was heavy during busy times but i received support from my co-workers and superiors and did the same in return.
Better part of the company.
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: good coworkers, good pay and benefits.
Cons: still under the corporate structure that is shady at best!
This branch of SMS equipment is good. Lead hands are knowledgeable and willing to help if you have questions. Service manager is a great guy who always tried to make you feel comfortable at the job and excel. Above reproach. Upper management has issues though.
Result oriented but fun loving work place
Contractor (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 10, 2014
Pros: team work
Cons: no restaurants around
Work begins at 8:00am when a majority of the employees have just fcompleted their first cup of coffee or a smoke outside. While the employees engage in their daily task at full speed, senior managers are busy with their daily planning and project review meetings which last for about an hour or two at times. By 9:30 am the employees are seeking the second cup of coffee for the day. By 10:00 am a great deal of the daily task has been completed. During this period, the management staff could be seen moving from one cost centre to the other obtaining updates and feed-backs from the current projects while suggesting or detecting directions to the responsibility staff to follow. Lunch is at noon and most of the employees congregate in the lunch room chatting and sexting while the micro-waves are busy warming up the lunch plates. By 1:00 pm everyone is back again to their respective work stations. As managers move by, one could notice a sense of satisfaction as they throw jokes at the employees. The rest of the day is a bit relaxed with pop-up announcements and training opportunities as well as vacancies on the workstations. On Fridays there is usually a beer party for an employee leaving for a weeding vacation or an opportunity elsewhere. At SMS Equipment, there is much achievement with little stress. The people are just awesome and the team spirit is great.
Good Supportive Company
Field Service Technician (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BC/Fort McMurray ABNovember 9, 2014
The company provides a great work environment. They're very supportive, they pay well with decent benefits. The management at certain branches seems to be a bit of a boys' club but for the most part will do their part to help you out in any way they can.
Great Enviroment to work in!
Elkford (Former Employee), Elkford, BCNovember 5, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: poor salary
Great Enviroment with friendly co- workers
Good benefit package
Salary positions could have a more competitive salary compared with other local businesses
Fast Paced and great opportunities for education in different areas.
Administrative, AR&AP, R.A.M.P Assistant (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaJuly 21, 2014
Working for SMS allowed me to learn a multitude of skills in the admistrative feild for the oil service industry.

It was a face paced and challenging company.
great company values
Service Clerk/Payroll (Former Employee), Prince GeorgeJune 30, 2014
Pros: positive environment
Cons: cut backs
sms was a great place to work, with friendly, supportive management, and a great team.
Good shift and pay but no managment backing.
Front line Mechanical forman (Current Employee), Elkford, BCMay 3, 2014
Pros: pay and shift
Cons: no chance of advancment. too much favortism to unept employees.
The work was ok , but the managment has driven morale to an all time low. Senoir management was changed and people with no experience in the mining enviroment took over.
Remanufacturing
Foreman (Former Employee), Edmonton,abApril 17, 2014
Lots of great people to work with excellent salary they meet market conditions
Positive atmosphere.
LABOURER (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 9, 2013
Great people, great benefits, great management, overall great place to work!
Positive work environment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee), Williams Lake, BCApril 4, 2013
Pros: helpful and patient staff
Cons: i can't think of any
Learned new skills every day
Shipper/Receiver responsibilities
Management and co-workers were very supportive
Computer system was a bit complicated
The team spirit and co-operation within the company was second to none
this job was one off the better
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee), Prince George, BCMarch 27, 2013
Pros: good place to work and really fun to work for
Cons: there was no cons working for sms
working for sms was the best experience i got so far as it had all kinds of deffrentes challenges in the years i work there
Meeting new people while learning new skills.
Hone operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2013
Arrived at 6 am. Participated in an exercise program before starting work. While working I learned how to hone large cylinders. Management instilled and demanded safety at all times.Co-workers were pleasant and helpful when needed. My main problem with my job was I had difficulty measuring certain cylinders. I enjoyed learning new procedures that were outside my normal HD Mechanic learning.