SMS Equipment Employee Reviews

Fast paced work environment w/t nice office space
Sales and Warranty Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2017
SMS Equipment is a fast paced environment that relies on specific personalities to move quickly as the company evolves. The time lines for deadlines are crucial.

The best part about SMS Equipment would be seeing how Heavy Equipment is managed from arriving from the factory to shipping it out on delivery to the customer. There are many steps to making sure satisfaction is met and allows very little room for error. This is great for customer demand and competition amongst other dealers. When I worked for SMS Equipment - I felt a sense of pride seeing the equipment on the road or on job sites, knowing how hard it really is to get them there.

The hardest part about SMS Equipment was meeting the demands of so many people with little to no acknowledgment. Working long hours to meet the demands of departments without compensation.

SMS Equipment does have some of the best managers you will have the pleasure of meeting - it was a difficult decision leaving for a healthier career path.
Pros
Office Space
Cons
Uncompensated hours
Heavy Haul Shop Laborer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 September 2016
Great company, just not very secure and i want to get back on the tools. The supervisors are good they treat us well, there is a lack of communication with workers and management.
a good work environment.
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wabush, NL23 February 2017
as a warehouse clerk, i was responsible for all shipping and receiving. my day would start with checking e-mails and notifications. also, i would frequently be in contact with our suppliers and customers, so a good communication skill was required.
good place to work
welder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 December 2016
Working 12 hours day
Good team to work with
lots of welding and fabrication work
Have to work on your knees a lot of the day
great place to work, Pay is good
supplies are provided whenever its needed to complete the job
Good Place to work
Warehouse logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 July 2016
I do like working Here but there is just no room for advancement. The staff is friendly and my manager is understanding of any situation if need time off
great place to work but when the economy tanks then sales fall off
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 February 2016
great place to work, started off as a heavy duty Mechanic and soon moved into sales. normal day was spent traveling in my sales area and discussing business development with my customers, learned a lot about dealing with people and how to read their body language, management was always helpful and prepared to work with you to improve you business plan, have made some great friends over the years with my co-workers. hardest part of the job was calling on the same people over a long period of time with no success and the most enjoyable was when you did have success with that customer
Pros
the ability to run your own business
Cons
relying on a commision style of pay
Good company, poor managers
Sales Rep and Product Rep (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 May 2015
I worked for SMS for over 5 years. Overall there are many really good people in the organization and I have made a number of great professional friends and acquaintances working here. I found daily that the job was challenging and rewarding.

Unfortunately management is often out of touch with the business and customer base and it was often difficult to get managers to buy in on a good business decision. I found it frustrating and often exhausting to try and do the right thing.

Overall I enjoyed working here and was sorry to leave when I did.
Pros
Great co-workers, good benefits and decent compensation.
Cons
Poor management.
Bad Experience
Warehouse Technician / Shipping & Receiving (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 June 2016
The job overall was not that bad. There was one guy that worked there that always liked to cause trouble. He was friends with the manager so he got away with it
The komatsu line of Equipment is nice to work on
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2016
SMS is a good Place to work. I didn't think it had many opportunities to move ahead, but it was over all not bad and the wage was competitive.
Better part of the company.
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2015
This branch of SMS equipment is good. Lead hands are knowledgeable and willing to help if you have questions. Service manager is a great guy who always tried to make you feel comfortable at the job and excel. Above reproach. Upper management has issues though.
Pros
Good Coworkers, good pay and benefits.
Cons
Still under the corporate structure that is shady at best!
Good Supportive Company
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC/Fort McMurray AB9 November 2014
The company provides a great work environment. They're very supportive, they pay well with decent benefits. The management at certain branches seems to be a bit of a boys' club but for the most part will do their part to help you out in any way they can.
Great Enviroment to work in!
Elkford (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC5 November 2014
Great Enviroment with friendly co- workers
Good benefit package
Salary positions could have a more competitive salary compared with other local businesses
Pros
Great people
Cons
poor salary
Good hours good people,good money
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 October 2015
I have worked for SMS off and on for years. A lot of the people that I worked with where excellent tradesman. they paid a good wage with a lot of great benefits. Would work for them again .
Pros
good people
Cons
not a permanent position
Good people
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 November 2015
I only worked here for a short period of time but the people were good and the job allowed for advancement and a decent life work balance.
Meeting new people while learning new skills.
Hone operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2013
Arrived at 6 am. Participated in an exercise program before starting work. While working I learned how to hone large cylinders. Management instilled and demanded safety at all times.Co-workers were pleasant and helpful when needed. My main problem with my job was I had difficulty measuring certain cylinders. I enjoyed learning new procedures that were outside my normal HD Mechanic learning.
Good Company
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2016
I enjoyed working at SMS and was sad to leave due to economic downturn. The people were excellent and I gained a ton of experience.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Unstable
Positive work environment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC4 April 2013
Learned new skills every day
Shipper/Receiver responsibilities
Management and co-workers were very supportive
Computer system was a bit complicated
The team spirit and co-operation within the company was second to none
Pros
helpful and patient staff
Cons
i can't think of any
Terrible Infrastructure
Service Supervisor (Field) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 April 2015
management has absolutely no grasp on what is required to run a successful equipment dealership, instead of taking responsibility for the lack of infrastructure they would rather have a fall guy in place to take the blame.
Pros
People
Cons
Good shift and pay but no managment backing.
Front line Mechanical forman (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC3 May 2014
The work was ok , but the managment has driven morale to an all time low. Senoir management was changed and people with no experience in the mining enviroment took over.
Pros
Pay and shift
Cons
No chance of advancment. Too much favortism to unept employees.
Result oriented but fun loving work place
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 December 2014
Work begins at 8:00am when a majority of the employees have just fcompleted their first cup of coffee or a smoke outside. While the employees engage in their daily task at full speed, senior managers are busy with their daily planning and project review meetings which last for about an hour or two at times. By 9:30 am the employees are seeking the second cup of coffee for the day. By 10:00 am a great deal of the daily task has been completed. During this period, the management staff could be seen moving from one cost centre to the other obtaining updates and feed-backs from the current projects while suggesting or detecting directions to the responsibility staff to follow. Lunch is at noon and most of the employees congregate in the lunch room chatting and sexting while the micro-waves are busy warming up the lunch plates. By 1:00 pm everyone is back again to their respective work stations. As managers move by, one could notice a sense of satisfaction as they throw jokes at the employees. The rest of the day is a bit relaxed with pop-up announcements and training opportunities as well as vacancies on the workstations. On Fridays there is usually a beer party for an employee leaving for a weeding vacation or an opportunity elsewhere. At SMS Equipment, there is much achievement with little stress. The people are just awesome and the team spirit is great.
Pros
Team work
Cons
No restaurants around