Smitty's Employee Reviews

Very productive and never a dull moment
Server (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK5 February 2018
A typical day at work is a very fun and casual workplace, with some frustrations that I dealt with in a very positive manner. I learned a lot from customers and staff. The management is excellent and the bosses are quite the team leaders. Hardest part of the job was learning the entire menu, which I had no trouble with, and as for the most enjoyable part of the job, I'd have to say were the co-workers, they made me feel good to be at work.
Pros
50% off after 6 hour shifts
Cons
Very Long Hours
not Bad
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Edson, AB31 January 2018
doing Preparations for the day.Workplace culture not that good as people always backstabbing you and complaining about you to the management. its always great when going home.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
bad work environment
Horrible Managment
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2018
Horrible managment , so unorganized it’s unbelievable . They don’t care about anything other than the company and it doesn’t matter to them how they treat their employees because you’re “easily replaceable”. They like to waste your time and use you for their benefit and doesn’t care how it affects the employee. Definitely not worth the money, shifts aren’t that great and the employees don’t work well together. Over all one of the worst companys I’ve ever worked for or maybe it was just the location.
Pros
Half off food
Cons
Everything else is a con
Fun place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB23 January 2018
Very fun place to work. Its like a family. Everyone supports each others. Love seeing the regular customers everyday and building relationships with everyone
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short staffed
An appreciation for the work i did that day
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 January 2018
It was a challenging place to work. Was very overwhelming most of the time when trying to do the job that was required. A lot of hostility was between the cooks and the other workers.
i injoyed working at my job for 4years
Busser/toast maker/ (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK20 January 2018
As i am transgender i found it to be hard working in a public place for 4 1/2 years i loved my job as i did alot and helped bring out food to tables and such i also was a busser for the same years and did a fast well cleaned job
Pros
Good people worked great under Pressure
Cons
Not enouph hours
Really awesome staff
Server, Hostess and Expo (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 January 2018
Everyone here is a really hard worker and really friendly. I love all my co-workers. The management is awesome and there is a lot of flexibility with your schedule.
Pros
Flexibility, Half off food
Cons
Usually don't get a break
Great atmosphere and staff!
Dishwasher/Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC19 January 2018
Between washing dishes, cleaning, prep cooking and line cooking, there is always a task to be done. Despite the busy shifts, the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed. The management is experienced and helpful, and the staff-discounts on food is enjoyable.
Overall OK
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK19 January 2018
I didn't get much shifts but I didn't mind the Environment, I enjoyed my time working for this company and would recommend it to others. I Wouldn't mind working again.
Fine for some
Server (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 January 2018
Smitty's is neither here nor there for me. It was okay overall but not amazing in any way, shape or form. Wouldn't recommend highly but wouldn't discourage either.
Good for experience, bad otherwise
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB4 January 2018
Management was volatile and personally insulting, pretty much zero professionalism, and the company tried to take every penny from you possible. We weren’t paid while cashing out or doing side duties, and if a table stayed longer than the allotted 45 minutes between cut time and end of shift, we would not be paid for staying late. They took a half hours pay off of our daily wages for breaks, but we never got breaks. We were charged for everything, even toast and pop, and treated pretty badly because of poor management choices. I would not work here again.
Pros
Hires young
Cons
Bad management, poor treatment, unpaid wages
it was a great place to work
Waitress/Bartender (Former Employee) –  calgary3 January 2018
staff were friendly management was great, there were great people all around me to get all duties done. management didn't deal with their workers being harressed by other emplyeess
Please treat your staff better
Host (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 December 2017
Management needs to change. They dont treat staff good, and they take away hours for know reason. They have no respect for staff who been there a long time. Management does not know how to communicate. If there a problem, you need to talk to solve it. They have the nerves to send people home early if they don't need you. One day, I walked in, and the manager was like "we actually don't need you today." Wasting my time and gas. The manager cant even handle criticism on how to run a place. I've been at this place for 9 months and this is how they treat staff. The management will also talk behind your back, and some of them don't even know your name, even after working their for nine months!
Pros
Na
Cons
Horrible Management
Good Workplace
Cook East Hills (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 December 2017
Job is easy and fun working everyday but there are times that we are struggling to finish some work because of shortage of staff.Good training store . Everyone in the management is really nice and professional and everyone is treating everybody with respect.
Pros
Good tip
Cons
Not much chance for advancement
work hard little loyalty
Server and Bartender (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 December 2017
favours you do for them will never be paid back, they claim to work around your hours but never will and get punished for time off, forced break time removed from pay checks even when no breaks taken
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
management, unreliable scheduling
Busy,fast paced,
Dishwasher, Kitchen Support (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK2 November 2017
Smitty's Restaurant was fun,energetic,friendly,caring,cleanly organized. it was also full of life and color, and it was also a safe and cautious place to work.
Pros
Joking around with the other staff members.
Cons
Not paying attention to work and detail.
Awesome people, awesome work place.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON4 October 2017
The people here are amazing, and great to work with. Everyone is caring, understanding, and they look after each other. If an emergency pops up, then it's super easy to call up a co-worker to ask them to cover for you. The employers are also super understanding, while still firm, and management always does their absolute best to incorporate everyone's needs/wants/availability. Things can move a little slow in terms of advancement/learning, but there's so many things to learn it's appreciated with some stations. Everybody is trained on everything, everybody does a little bit of everything.
Pros
50% off for food.
Cons
sometimes there's extremely short shifts.
Making customers happy
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON2 October 2017
I worked at Taco bell/K.F.C as a cashier and i would love to see the customers and to put a smile on their faces. it was definitely the most enjoyable part of the job.
The management is really bad at this location and very unprofessional. It was a boyfriend and girlfriend and they weren't mature or old enough to be mature and handle situations.
I would clean the dining room and change the garbage's and clean the doors and windows. i would also help in the kitchen with "freezer and fryer" so i would put down fries or anything the kitchen staff needed or requested.
But this as been by far the worst place to work because i would leave every shift crying because of the management.
Fun environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB17 September 2017
We are all a family here. There are many regular customers who I've had the pleasure of getting to know. They make this job that much more enjoyable. The staff is easy to get along with and we all work as a team!
Pros
50% off staff meals
Cons
Not lots of hours
Falling apart
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 September 2017
One of the worst kitchen I've seen, unorganized dirty staff doesn't care or try, management doesn't follow up lots of false promises, the hours can be good but that's bout it
Pros
Free food
Cons
Poor management