SMITTY'S FAMILY RESTAURANT Employee Reviews

Good place good people!!!!
DISHWASHER/FOOD PREP (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON10 September 2016
This was a good place to work we were all like family I always enjoyed myself at work and the people around me we all worked as a team and always got the job done.
Happy place to be in most of the time
Food and Beverage Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 August 2016
Smitty's Restaurants in Edmonton are very busy because we have lots of regular guest that we love so much. We are a happy family that works and enjoy life together.
most of the people were good workers
Prep / Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON8 June 2016
WAY to much to say about this place. good employees, terrible terrible management. the owners are very ignorant, rude and childish.. They dont value their staff, only the ones that have been there 10 years or longer. they do not treat their employees fairly, they are very unprofessional owners. they need a lesson on how to treat their employees. they ARE the main reason i left. i worked all the time, never late always early, i never got treated fairly. the female owner disrespected me the most. shes basically a 15 year old in a 46 year old body.
Pros
half off food
Cons
worked way to long hard for very little pay, was not at all reasonable
Fun place, Busy but no advancement.
Cook/Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 May 2016
This company is not that bad considering the situation right now this is my company for the past 7 years now. Management is un professional most of the times. And you have balance between work and life. You always working during holidays.
Pros
Easy job. No experience required. There is tips. Short hours
Cons
Tips are lower than expected. Kitchen leaders are not that good at what they do. Bias Management
waitressing,
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB25 April 2016
great place to work, co workers are a great group to work with
management is very family orientated, helps work with my life style and balancing it,
dealing with customers each day with serving,
busy always moving,
Pros
great benefits
Enjoyable work experience
Host and Waiter (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK5 April 2016
A typical day at work consisted of many laughs, talking with customers and being friendly while doing the job effectively. Management was always supportive and treated you with respect and maintained professionalism. The workers were very easy to work with and it was easy to bond with them. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the many orders while bringing out the food in an efficient manner, therefore the constant multi-tasking was the most difficult part. The most enjoyable part was the communication with the variety of people met and the friendly workers.
Pros
Communication with a variety of people
Cons
Constant multi-tasking
Tough and steady
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 March 2016
Work consists of 4-6 hour shifts of running to take orders and delivering them & the subsequent bills etc. 15% of your tip belongs to the cooks. Waiters are not entitled to a break. Servers are mostly independent of each other. No teamwork required or desired usually.
A fast-paced, well-trained job - the crew at the time was like family.
Dishwasher/Buffet Cook (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB5 January 2015
In what I like to think of as six-and-a-half years with Smittys' Family Restaurant, I was brought onboard merely as a dishwasher - and as I proved myself, I was given greater responsibility. From training other dishwashing staff to learning how to cook the food (buffet style and regular menu) to helping with catering events, I learned a great deal - and for the most part, I was treated as one of the family. When things went sour the crew helped out, and we celebrated together when things went well, all while maintaining appropriate professionalism.

As time passed, crew members moved onto other things and switched to better paying jobs - and eventually, I did the same.
Pros
Free lunches ($12 or less; 50% discount for higher), flexible schedule, excellent comradeship.
Cons
Insufficient salary for full living standards.
Self motivated, Trustworthy, Personable, Enthusiastic
OWNER/OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Parksville, BC16 July 2014
I have been with Smitty’s Family Restaurant for the past 22 years and currently looking for new challenges, my company position concluded June 30, 2014 after selling my shares. My loyalty with this company started as a bus girl and gradually worked into a General Manager Position, responsible for all day to day controls, and company bookkeeping.

A typical day for me would start in my home office responding to company emails, and letters. Once at the restaurant; schedules, cash and daily audit sheets, staff reports, employee claims, food ordering, repairs, ect. Once back at home any financials that were not completed during the day; spreadsheets, payroll, Month End, Government forms, ect.

I have had notable success building strong relationships with both staff and clients by analyzing their individual needs and overcoming challenges. I feel that the hardest part of my job was managing all of the unique personalities, but I also feel this was the most rewarding.
Pros
After 22 years I still enjoyed my job
Cons
Long hours, limited time off
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Edson, AB4 June 2014
My boss is awesome! He is paying our overtimes and he gives us atleast 40 hours of work every week. He is a very fair boss.
productive at work
Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 January 2014
i am hardworking person, very productive smart, and fun to work with. i enjoyed day to day operation or shift
Very fast paced invironment. Very nice employees.
Busser (Former Employee) –  Steinbach Manitoba14 June 2013
very busy place to work. I enjoyed working with the employees, but working with food is not my thing.
family restaurant
Dishwasher, Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2013
i liked working here but after awhile, it was the guests that drove me out. i was a little discouraged and disgusted of how people can sometimes be...i choose just to leave
Fast-paced environment and full of different interesting people
Waitress (Former Employee) –  High Prairie, AB23 March 2013
I loved being a waitress. I enjoyed talking with customers and being the waitress that everyone liked.
The management changed three times when I was there, so it took a bit to get used to the different people in charge.
Other waitress and I got along great.
The hardest part of the job was the fact that I could not control how fast the food took to cook. So if the food was taking too long, the customers would get angry and sometimes walked out. I also couldnt control if the cooks make a mistake on the order or how it was cooked.
Pros
tips!
Cons
long hours with few breaks, standing on feet all day
Wonderful owner and staff
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC20 February 2013
I truly enjoy working here; all of the other employees are very friendly and really show good customer service. Normally I prepare dinner vegetables, potatoes (baked and mashed), and fish for fish&chips before dinner, then I work the line for the remainder of dinner. On line we prepare breakfast, lunch, and dinner items from an extensive menu.
Pros
free staff meals
Cons
not enough hours
All Around Nice Place
Busser (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON8 November 2012
Its a great place to work if its a part time. do no except full time or advances in this tight knit group! great for a job to get u through!
the employer are dependable
STORE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  ST.ALBERT,ALBERTA CANADA16 October 2012
THE EMPLOYER THEY TREAT US THEIR FAMILY. AND THEY ARE NICE TO DEAL EXPECIALLY IF YOU NEED PAPERS TO GET YOUR PERMANENT RESIDENCY THEY WILL ASSIST YOU AS MUCH AS THEY CAN
Pros
free meal
Dish Washer/General Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 August 2012
When I started my shift I'd do a quick tidy-up of my area to my standards & get to work right away. If there were no dishes to be washed, I'd go to the shelves & counters to make sure everything was neat & in order.

I learned how to use dish-washing machinery & got my first experience of working in a kitchen - it's like a beehive!

The management were great & cared for their employees, often calling us into the office just to check up on us about our home lives & work lives. At the time I was going through a difficult time & my Manager took the time out of her day to find me a Counsellor to speak with. I thought that was amazing.

The waitresses were so friendly & I enjoyed seeing them every day. The kitchen staff, however, seemed more serious & didn't care about me as long as the dishes were done. That's fine too.

The hardest part of the job was lunch hour... what a rush! The dishes would mount up, but it got done regardless.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when we were closing & everyone had to clean their areas. That's when I got to know the waitresses more & we always had fun for that little period of time.
Pros
free lunches, friendly staff, good hours, good pay
Cons
hot water!
High stress environment. I would not recomend seeking employment at this place.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Sussex, New Brunswick8 May 2012
A typical day involved cleaning everything we could, greeting/seating/serving customers and stocking.

At this job I learned that walking away is not giving up or giving in. Sometimes walking away is the only way to survive.

Management, as far as restaurant operation went, was well planned. As far as employer-employee relationships were concerned...I saw MANY people leave the job in tears, never to return. Yelling and screaming at employees should be against the law. It is one of the worst forms of abuse.

I enjoyed getting to know the people I worked with. Some have turned into lasting friendships.

The hardest part of the job was never knowing what you'd be screamed at for this day. No way to avoid it, it was inevitable, unless a certain someone was not working that day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. I loved the customers! I also loved my co-workers. I live to make people smile and customer service is the best place to accomplish this.
Taught me key skills in management areas for which I have never been responsible in the past.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New Minas, Nova Scotia20 February 2012
This job was my first full management role as the owner was very hands off and relied on my experience to run his business for him.

I managed all of the operations of the restaurant in both the front and back of the house, as well, was responsibile for recruitment, scheduling, hiring, marketing, performance management, coaching, training, and good relationships with guests, employees and vendors.
Pros
schedule, travel, training, guidance, multi-tasking, time management skills

SMITTY'S FAMILY RESTAURANT Reviews by Job Title