SMITTY'S FAMILY RESTAURANT Employee Reviews

Falling apart
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 September 2017
One of the worst kitchen I've seen, unorganized dirty staff doesn't care or try, management doesn't follow up lots of false promises, the hours can be good but that's bout it
Pros
Free food
Cons
Poor management
Fun work place
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 July 2017
The Management are all good, they understand the situation of each employees.
They are very considerate to their employees. Staying their for 9 years and very proud of it
Pros
Free Lunch for the Managers
Cons
not at all
A place to have an awesome meal any time of the day
Food Preparation Worker (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB13 July 2017
The best part of working at Smitty's Family Restaurant was working with family. It was a family owned business, the employees were like family, and I also got to work with my daughter.
Pros
Most of the employees are nice hardworking people
Cons
The pay is terrible
Boring job with no benefit.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK27 June 2017
Smitty's was by far the most boring job I have ever worked, they make you take a half hour unpaid break. I never worked longer then 3 hours at a time.
Was a great place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB27 May 2017
Good employees to work along side with. Had a great experience while I was working there. Very sad that they had to close down. Was a great work environment to be in.
Pros
Learning expericeces and people
Cons
They closed down
Fun work place
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2017
To be blunt, server jobs are not my favourite, you have people who are hungry and want their food ASAP. Many rude customers, however, it is the employees that made coming to work everyday worth while.
A great place to work and alot of teamwork
Dishwasher/Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB19 January 2017
I learned to work well with others and help others when they need it. The hardest part was cleaning and not hurting yourself.
Pros
Good lunches
Cons
Helping others with anything
Good place good people!!!!
DISHWASHER/FOOD PREP (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON10 September 2016
This was a good place to work we were all like family I always enjoyed myself at work and the people around me we all worked as a team and always got the job done.
Happy place to be in most of the time
Food and Beverage Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 August 2016
Smitty's Restaurants in Edmonton are very busy because we have lots of regular guest that we love so much. We are a happy family that works and enjoy life together.
most of the people were good workers
Prep / Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON8 June 2016
WAY to much to say about this place. good employees, terrible terrible management. the owners are very ignorant, rude and childish.. They dont value their staff, only the ones that have been there 10 years or longer. they do not treat their employees fairly, they are very unprofessional owners. they need a lesson on how to treat their employees. they ARE the main reason i left. i worked all the time, never late always early, i never got treated fairly. the female owner disrespected me the most. shes basically a 15 year old in a 46 year old body.
Pros
half off food
Cons
worked way to long hard for very little pay, was not at all reasonable
This place was a horrible place to work at.
Hostess & cleaner (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 May 2016
I truthfully did not like working here because it was a pain , I didn't like the workplace, nor the people who worked there. The management was terrible. End of story.
Pros
N/a
Cons
everything
Fun place, Busy but no advancement.
Cook/Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 May 2016
This company is not that bad considering the situation right now this is my company for the past 7 years now. Management is un professional most of the times. And you have balance between work and life. You always working during holidays.
Pros
Easy job. No experience required. There is tips. Short hours
Cons
Tips are lower than expected. Kitchen leaders are not that good at what they do. Bias Management
waitressing,
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB25 April 2016
great place to work, co workers are a great group to work with
management is very family orientated, helps work with my life style and balancing it,
dealing with customers each day with serving,
busy always moving,
Pros
great benefits
Enjoyable work experience
Host and Waiter (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK5 April 2016
A typical day at work consisted of many laughs, talking with customers and being friendly while doing the job effectively. Management was always supportive and treated you with respect and maintained professionalism. The workers were very easy to work with and it was easy to bond with them. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the many orders while bringing out the food in an efficient manner, therefore the constant multi-tasking was the most difficult part. The most enjoyable part was the communication with the variety of people met and the friendly workers.
Pros
Communication with a variety of people
Cons
Constant multi-tasking
Tough and steady
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 March 2016
Work consists of 4-6 hour shifts of running to take orders and delivering them & the subsequent bills etc. 15% of your tip belongs to the cooks. Waiters are not entitled to a break. Servers are mostly independent of each other. No teamwork required or desired usually.
A fast-paced, well-trained job - the crew at the time was like family.
Dishwasher/Buffet Cook (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB5 January 2015
In what I like to think of as six-and-a-half years with Smittys' Family Restaurant, I was brought onboard merely as a dishwasher - and as I proved myself, I was given greater responsibility. From training other dishwashing staff to learning how to cook the food (buffet style and regular menu) to helping with catering events, I learned a great deal - and for the most part, I was treated as one of the family. When things went sour the crew helped out, and we celebrated together when things went well, all while maintaining appropriate professionalism.

As time passed, crew members moved onto other things and switched to better paying jobs - and eventually, I did the same.
Pros
Free lunches ($12 or less; 50% discount for higher), flexible schedule, excellent comradeship.
Cons
Insufficient salary for full living standards.
Self motivated, Trustworthy, Personable, Enthusiastic
OWNER/OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Parksville, BC16 July 2014
I have been with Smitty’s Family Restaurant for the past 22 years and currently looking for new challenges, my company position concluded June 30, 2014 after selling my shares. My loyalty with this company started as a bus girl and gradually worked into a General Manager Position, responsible for all day to day controls, and company bookkeeping.

A typical day for me would start in my home office responding to company emails, and letters. Once at the restaurant; schedules, cash and daily audit sheets, staff reports, employee claims, food ordering, repairs, ect. Once back at home any financials that were not completed during the day; spreadsheets, payroll, Month End, Government forms, ect.

I have had notable success building strong relationships with both staff and clients by analyzing their individual needs and overcoming challenges. I feel that the hardest part of my job was managing all of the unique personalities, but I also feel this was the most rewarding.
Pros
After 22 years I still enjoyed my job
Cons
Long hours, limited time off
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Edson, AB4 June 2014
My boss is awesome! He is paying our overtimes and he gives us atleast 40 hours of work every week. He is a very fair boss.
productive at work
Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 January 2014
i am hardworking person, very productive smart, and fun to work with. i enjoyed day to day operation or shift
Very fast paced invironment. Very nice employees.
Busser (Former Employee) –  Steinbach Manitoba14 June 2013
very busy place to work. I enjoyed working with the employees, but working with food is not my thing.