SMITTY'S FAMILY RESTAURANT Employee Reviews in Canada

Enjoyable work experience
Host and Waiter (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKApril 5, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of many laughs, talking with customers and being friendly while doing the job effectively. Management was always supportive and treated you with respect and maintained professionalism. The workers were very easy to work with and it was easy to bond with them. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the many orders while bringing out the food in an efficient manner, therefore the constant multi-tasking was the most difficult part. The most enjoyable part was the communication with the variety of people met and the friendly workers.
Pros
Communication with a variety of people
Cons
Constant multi-tasking
Fun place, Busy but no advancement.
Cook/Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 7, 2016
This company is not that bad considering the situation right now this is my company for the past 7 years now. Management is un professional most of the times. And you have balance between work and life. You always working during holidays.
Pros
Easy job. No experience required. There is tips. Short hours
Cons
Tips are lower than expected. Kitchen leaders are not that good at what they do. Bias Management
Tough and steady
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 28, 2016
Work consists of 4-6 hour shifts of running to take orders and delivering them & the subsequent bills etc. 15% of your tip belongs to the cooks. Waiters are not entitled to a break. Servers are mostly independent of each other. No teamwork required or desired usually.
waitressing,
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Olds, ABApril 25, 2016
great place to work, co workers are a great group to work with
management is very family orientated, helps work with my life style and balancing it,
dealing with customers each day with serving,
busy always moving,
Pros
great benefits
Cons
A fast-paced, well-trained job - the crew at the time was like family.
Dishwasher/Buffet Cook (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABJanuary 5, 2015
In what I like to think of as six-and-a-half years with Smittys' Family Restaurant, I was brought onboard merely as a dishwasher - and as I proved myself, I was given greater responsibility. From training other dishwashing staff to learning how to cook the food (buffet style and regular menu) to helping with catering events, I learned a great deal - and for the most part, I was treated as one of the family. When things went sour the crew helped out, and we celebrated together when things went well, all while maintaining appropriate professionalism.

As time passed, crew members moved onto other things and switched to better paying jobs - and eventually, I did the same.
Pros
free lunches ($12 or less; 50% discount for higher), flexible schedule, excellent comradeship.
Cons
insufficient salary for full living standards.
Fast-paced environment and full of different interesting people
Waitress (Former Employee) –  High Prairie, ABMarch 23, 2013
I loved being a waitress. I enjoyed talking with customers and being the waitress that everyone liked.
The management changed three times when I was there, so it took a bit to get used to the different people in charge.
Other waitress and I got along great.
The hardest part of the job was the fact that I could not control how fast the food took to cook. So if the food was taking too long, the customers would get angry and sometimes walked out. I also couldnt control if the cooks make a mistake on the order or how it was cooked.
Pros
tips!
Cons
long hours with few breaks, standing on feet all day
Taught me key skills in management areas for which I have never been responsible in the past.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New Minas, Nova ScotiaFebruary 20, 2012
This job was my first full management role as the owner was very hands off and relied on my experience to run his business for him.

I managed all of the operations of the restaurant in both the front and back of the house, as well, was responsibile for recruitment, scheduling, hiring, marketing, performance management, coaching, training, and good relationships with guests, employees and vendors.
Pros
schedule, travel, training, guidance, multi-tasking, time management skills
Wonderful owner and staff
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCFebruary 20, 2013
I truly enjoy working here; all of the other employees are very friendly and really show good customer service. Normally I prepare dinner vegetables, potatoes (baked and mashed), and fish for fish&chips before dinner, then I work the line for the remainder of dinner. On line we prepare breakfast, lunch, and dinner items from an extensive menu.
Pros
free staff meals
Cons
not enough hours
High stress environment. I would not recomend seeking employment at this place.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Sussex, New BrunswickMay 8, 2012
A typical day involved cleaning everything we could, greeting/seating/serving customers and stocking.

At this job I learned that walking away is not giving up or giving in. Sometimes walking away is the only way to survive.

Management, as far as restaurant operation went, was well planned. As far as employer-employee relationships were concerned...I saw MANY people leave the job in tears, never to return. Yelling and screaming at employees should be against the law. It is one of the worst forms of abuse.

I enjoyed getting to know the people I worked with. Some have turned into lasting friendships.

The hardest part of the job was never knowing what you'd be screamed at for this day. No way to avoid it, it was inevitable, unless a certain someone was not working that day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. I loved the customers! I also loved my co-workers. I live to make people smile and customer service is the best place to accomplish this.
Self motivated, Trustworthy, Personable, Enthusiastic
OWNER/OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Parksville, BCJuly 16, 2014
I have been with Smitty’s Family Restaurant for the past 22 years and currently looking for new challenges, my company position concluded June 30, 2014 after selling my shares. My loyalty with this company started as a bus girl and gradually worked into a General Manager Position, responsible for all day to day controls, and company bookkeeping.

A typical day for me would start in my home office responding to company emails, and letters. Once at the restaurant; schedules, cash and daily audit sheets, staff reports, employee claims, food ordering, repairs, ect. Once back at home any financials that were not completed during the day; spreadsheets, payroll, Month End, Government forms, ect.

I have had notable success building strong relationships with both staff and clients by analyzing their individual needs and overcoming challenges. I feel that the hardest part of my job was managing all of the unique personalities, but I also feel this was the most rewarding.
Pros
after 22 years i still enjoyed my job
Cons
long hours, limited time off
the employer are dependable
STORE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  ST.ALBERT,ALBERTA CANADAOctober 16, 2012
THE EMPLOYER THEY TREAT US THEIR FAMILY. AND THEY ARE NICE TO DEAL EXPECIALLY IF YOU NEED PAPERS TO GET YOUR PERMANENT RESIDENCY THEY WILL ASSIST YOU AS MUCH AS THEY CAN
Pros
free meal
family restaurant
Dishwasher, Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 8, 2013
i liked working here but after awhile, it was the guests that drove me out. i was a little discouraged and disgusted of how people can sometimes be...i choose just to leave
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Edson, ABJune 4, 2014
My boss is awesome! He is paying our overtimes and he gives us atleast 40 hours of work every week. He is a very fair boss.
Dish Washer/General Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 8, 2012
When I started my shift I'd do a quick tidy-up of my area to my standards & get to work right away. If there were no dishes to be washed, I'd go to the shelves & counters to make sure everything was neat & in order.

I learned how to use dish-washing machinery & got my first experience of working in a kitchen - it's like a beehive!

The management were great & cared for their employees, often calling us into the office just to check up on us about our home lives & work lives. At the time I was going through a difficult time & my Manager took the time out of her day to find me a Counsellor to speak with. I thought that was amazing.

The waitresses were so friendly & I enjoyed seeing them every day. The kitchen staff, however, seemed more serious & didn't care about me as long as the dishes were done. That's fine too.

The hardest part of the job was lunch hour... what a rush! The dishes would mount up, but it got done regardless.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when we were closing & everyone had to clean their areas. That's when I got to know the waitresses more & we always had fun for that little period of time.
Pros
free lunches, friendly staff, good hours, good pay
Cons
hot water!
All Around Nice Place
Busser (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONNovember 8, 2012
Its a great place to work if its a part time. do no except full time or advances in this tight knit group! great for a job to get u through!
Very fast paced invironment. Very nice employees.
Busser (Former Employee) –  Steinbach ManitobaJune 14, 2013
very busy place to work. I enjoyed working with the employees, but working with food is not my thing.
productive at work
Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 10, 2014
i am hardworking person, very productive smart, and fun to work with. i enjoyed day to day operation or shift