Smashburger

Smashburger Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Frustrating medium between line cooking and fast food.
Line Cook (Former Employee), CalgaryOctober 1, 2013
Pros: independent work with little management supervision. good food.
Cons: working long hours to complete meal rushes. management had no idea what happens in the kitchen.
I worked at a newly opening franchise of Smashburger over the summer. The restaurant offers gourmet burgers in a setting that is halfway between fast food and a sit-down restaurant. Customers order and pay at a till, but are served their food with a goal ticket time of under six minutes.

A typical day include food prep for several hours before the – more... restaurant opened as well as cooking duties when necessary.

Some of my co-workers were fantastic while others were terrible. The main problem was that some treated the job as low effort fast food work. Yes the food is served quickly, but most everything is cooked and prepped fresh, so shoddy/slow prep and cooking slows the whole kitchen down.

Dealing with management was extremely frustrating because they put more emphasis on the speed of cooking than the quality of food. Because of the type of meat used, it was okay for the burgers cooked to have some pink in the middle, and the temperature we were originally supposed to cook burgers to reflected that. However, the franchise was in Canada and customers weren't used to pink, so we increased our recommended internal temperature because burgers were often sent back. Even though our cooking times were now longer, our goal ticket time was not altered to reflect that.

Because of the time pressure, cooks would sometimes take shortcuts to get food out faster---especially during dinner/lunch rushes. Management didn't approve, but in circumstances when an employee no-showed and management helped with cooking duties, they would use the exact same shortcuts when cooking. In one instance, an employee was working the grill and a manager asked him about two burgers that were approaching the time goal. The employee said that he taken their internal temperatures and that they needed more time, but the manager replied, 'they're done, I can see it, just take them off'. The burgers were served and then both returned for being under-cooked. The manager then told the employee to get off the grill and replaced him because of the under-cooked burgers.

As a whole, the management had little idea about what went on in the kitchen or which of their workers were more effective. They were reasonably pleasant people but made poor decisions because of their lack of knowledge. – less
Entry Level Job with High Turnover
Cashier/GSE (Former Employee), San Clemente, CAAugust 8, 2014
The typical day consisted of cleaning, customer service, taking food orders, stocking the store, and delivering meals to guests.
During my time at this job, I learned the basics of a "front of house" fast food job. Though the management was lacking in areas, I was able to ask my co-workers for help while I was still learning.
This location seems to – more... need more time to mature and the shift leaders need more time to understand how to run it efficiently.
The hardest part of the job was its inconsistency with scheduling on a weekly basis.
Though my time there was not the longest, what I did enjoy was talking to the guests and learning more about different work environments. – less
Started off as cashier and am now a shift leader
Cashier/Shift Leader (Current Employee), Sugar Land, TXJuly 17, 2014
Pros: the ability to grow within the company
Cons: no benefits for part time employees.
I started with this company in November 2009 as a cashier and have learned a lot. With my hard work and dedication I was promoted to the position I am now which is shift leader.
Stressful workplace with terrible management
Cook (Former Employee), Glendale, AZJune 22, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: stressful, terrible management, hot kitchen, etc.
After clocking in, I would begin preparing food for customers that would be coming into the restaurant that night. Also responsible for cooking food and doing dishes/cleaning. Hardest part of the job was dealing with management and easiest was working with my friends in the kitchen.
Very Casual Fun Workplace
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee), Arlington Heights, ILJune 19, 2014
Pros: flexible with hours
Cons: n/a
SamashBurger is a very fast pace moving casual restaurant, Where our goal is to be Everyones Favorite burger spot. Management staff and Co-workers are very easy to get along with and will help you throughout the way. to teach you as much as they can, its a learning experience because everyone has different experience levels, so you get the chance to – more... learn from everybody. On a typical day you will have prep to do in the morning, you will clean the store in down time (dishes, ect). You will work with fellew co-worker(s) depending on time and day. what i have learned is to be the best at what i do in the kitchen no matter what and to be the be a team platyer and to teach others what i have learned so that they can do it the right way, I was taught how to do Paperwork for management even though I'm only a cook. so that i can have the chance to move up. The most enjoyable/hardest part about the job is when you get hit in the rushes of customers piling into the restaurant and its just non-stop moving for long periods of time, thats when the adrenline kicks in. – less
Priductive Fast Paced Enviornment
GSE (Former Employee), Irving, TXJune 13, 2014
Pros: half off food
Working for Smashburger was very rewarding. I enjoyed working with everyone of my fellow co-workers. The managers didn't treat you any different as in they made you feel like what you had to say was important as well.
Typical Things At Work
Cook (Former Employee), ILJune 1, 2014
Come into work hope the last shift did there job. Get to work on what wasn't done and what has to be done. Also cook at the sametime. What I learned is a lot of fast food places lose alot of workers due to poor management. The hardest thing was the commute back and forth to work. And being disciplined for being 5-10 mins late. And there's people living – more... around the corner calling off with made up reasons. The most enjoyable part was when we had a big rush and we get the customers in and out with team work. – less
Good first job
Guest Service Expert (Former Employee), Littleton, COMay 29, 2014
Pros: 50% off food when working
its a good first job if you're looking for job experience but might not be the most enjoyable.
Fast Paced, interesting
Front Team Member- Greet (Current Employee), West Bloomfield, MIMay 28, 2014
Smashburger is a great place to work. The staff is pleasant and very willing to coach new employees. Lots of teamwork
Good food, disappointing workplace.
Part-Time Cook (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 24, 2014
Pros: half-priced food, hour breaks.
Cons: management, co-workers.
A typical day was exactly how it sounds, typical. Nothing really eventful happened and there were no exciting bits. I learned a little more discipline, more cleaning skills, and I worked with different food than I did at my previous workplace. Management was subpar, but not terrible, it seems like places with younger managers aren't run as well as older, – more... experienced managers. My co-workers were the same as the managers, young and inexperienced, so working with them was a little difficult when it came to health code. The hardest part of the job was honestly the cleaning, it was a small kitchen, but there were lots of little crevices and nooks that were difficult to access. The most enjoyable part of the job came about during the rush, when the adrenaline was going and perfect food was being sent out. Satisfying the customers every time made the job worth it. – less
Ok place to work
Cashier/Food Server (Former Employee), Lafayette, COMay 13, 2014
Pros: extra $ for good secret shoppers surveys
Cons: always short staffed!!
Working for Smash was fun. Co-workers made time go by faster. Taking customers orders and serving the food was a typical day at work. Cleaning and organizing everything as well. Management how ever was always changing very difficult. We worked in the smallest building and it was hard to get around. Had workers mostly cashiers always quitting so we were – more... mostly short staff which made it stressful. – less
Smashburger
Cook (Former Employee), Mill Valley, CAMay 6, 2014
Job was great, I learned many new skills. I enjoyed my position.
Fun Job
Cashier (Former Employee), Cypress, TXMay 2, 2014
The management was great and always understanding. My co workers were fun to be around made a lot of friends there. I learned so much there.
Cook (Former Employee), San Marcos, CAApril 20, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
It was a great place to work at! Very fast paced and positive co workers!
Fun workplace
Guest Service Expert (Current Employee), Irving, TXApril 3, 2014
A typical day at work would consist of us coming in and just taking people orders with great customer service. Solve all problems a customer need and satisfy every single need.
Enjoyable
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COApril 1, 2014
Pros: i was very depended on.
Cons: my schedule was like being there almost all day, everyday.
I liked my job here because I had more responsibility while working for this company than any other job I have had. It was my first cook job I ever had, I learned how to train employees and how to schedule them as well.
fun, productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Longview, TXMarch 28, 2014
This job was way more fast paced. I would clock in 5 mins before my shift started, there were few day when we were slow, but on the days that we were busy, there was always little to none time for us to take a breath. I learned how to be a better multitasker, how to take orders, how to keep the lobby clean, and how to cook. The management of this place – more... was fair. My coworkers were always friendly, the hardest part of this job was having to work with some family members and the most enjoyable part of this job was my coworkers and the environment – less
Not bad for a part-time.
Shift Manager (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMarch 23, 2014
Pros: decent pay and delicious food.
Cons: management.
I can't say that this is a bad company to work for, because it isn't. It would have to be the terrible management that I've had to deal with the entire time that has caused such disdain upon my experience.
mellow
Cook/GSE (Former Employee), Edina, MNMarch 19, 2014
a typical day at macys consist of some manual labor such as folding and keeping the floors clean
Poor management with no training
Front of the House (Former Employee), Dayton, OHMarch 14, 2014
No training is ever offered to new employees and new employees are criticized for asking questions

1 2 3 4