Smashburger

Smashburger Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Frustrating medium between line cooking and fast food.
Line Cook (Former Employee), CalgaryOctober 1, 2013
Pros: independent work with little management supervision. good food.
Cons: working long hours to complete meal rushes. management had no idea what happens in the kitchen.
I worked at a newly opening franchise of Smashburger over the summer. The restaurant offers gourmet burgers in a setting that is halfway between fast food and a sit-down restaurant. Customers order and pay at a till, but are served their food with a goal ticket time of under six minutes.

A typical day include food prep for several hours before the – more... restaurant opened as well as cooking duties when necessary.

Some of my co-workers were fantastic while others were terrible. The main problem was that some treated the job as low effort fast food work. Yes the food is served quickly, but most everything is cooked and prepped fresh, so shoddy/slow prep and cooking slows the whole kitchen down.

Dealing with management was extremely frustrating because they put more emphasis on the speed of cooking than the quality of food. Because of the type of meat used, it was okay for the burgers cooked to have some pink in the middle, and the temperature we were originally supposed to cook burgers to reflected that. However, the franchise was in Canada and customers weren't used to pink, so we increased our recommended internal temperature because burgers were often sent back. Even though our cooking times were now longer, our goal ticket time was not altered to reflect that.

Because of the time pressure, cooks would sometimes take shortcuts to get food out faster---especially during dinner/lunch rushes. Management didn't approve, but in circumstances when an employee no-showed and management helped with cooking duties, they would use the exact same shortcuts when cooking. In one instance, an employee was working the grill and a manager asked him about two burgers that were approaching the time goal. The employee said that he taken their internal temperatures and that they needed more time, but the manager replied, 'they're done, I can see it, just take them off'. The burgers were served and then both returned for being under-cooked. The manager then told the employee to get off the grill and replaced him because of the under-cooked burgers.

As a whole, the management had little idea about what went on in the kitchen or which of their workers were more effective. They were reasonably pleasant people but made poor decisions because of their lack of knowledge. – less
Productive and Fun Workplace
Shift Lead (Current Employee), San Antonio TexasDecember 5, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: no healthcare benefits, bonuses, no vacation pay, no sick pay, no tempoary leave of absence.
A typical day at work is easygoing, fun, and hard work. I've learned that working at smashburger you have to be fast at serving and cooking as well as taking the customers orders. I have also learned how to manage employees as well as taking on extra responsibility. My manager is easy to talk to and understanding. He works with my schedule and hes very – more... flexible with all the employees. If there is a problem he immediately addresses the proper authority in charge. My co-workers are easy to get along with. We help each other out and communicate well with each other. The hardest part of my job is dealing with unexpected problems such as; the ice machine going out, sodas being flat, etc. The most enjoyable part of my job is talking to customers and making sure they are content with our service. – less
It's better than your average fast food job.
Shift Leader (Former Employee), Draper, UTNovember 26, 2014
Pros: decent work pace. better than average pay for the type of work.
Cons: being on your feet all day. low pay scale.
You get tips and extra 'smashcash' for getting good reviews, which worked out to be about an extra dollar an hour for me. I was raised up to shift lead quickly.

Mostly what you do as front of house is take orders, clean tables, run food, and make shakes. You also have to do some prep and dishwashing when it slows down.

All in all not a bad job, but – more... not very much pay either. – less
Fun, fast-paced, campus environment.
Shift Leader (Former Employee), Lexington, KYNovember 23, 2014
Pros: campus location, strong ownership
Cons: n/a
A typical day involved opening the store. Maintaining the daily "rushes" while staying calm under the pressures that may arise (angry customers, register shortages, late shipments etc)
Very disappointed in this job
Server (Former Employee), Lewis Center, OHNovember 23, 2014
The owner has no idea how to run a business.Th staff was basically incompetent, the management didn't value its customers and favoritism ran rampant throughout the establishment.
not much of a fun job
Shift Leader (Former Employee), Albany, NYNovember 12, 2014
Management don't seem to know whats going on. No one seems to want to pay attention to food safety weather it being clean food cabinets or just making sure new product isn't being poured on top of the old.
Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Austin, TXOctober 24, 2014
Pros: fun work area
Had a blast, amazing experience for my first job. management was understanding and very flexiable
Productive and interactive
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2014
First, I look over the previous day's paperwork to ensure its completion and read over any notes left by other managers. I then proceed to start the opening paperwork and counts of the safe and the inventory. Once done, I instruct the employees on what to prepare first (depends on which product is more dire) and start to set up the restaurant. I work – more... alongside the crew, managing and working together, to prepare the meal and serve the customers. The hardest part of the job is when I have to sit down with the staff to notify them of their disciplinary action when something was done incorrectly. the most enjoyable part of the job when the whole store is in unity and we are enjoying one another as well as stay on task. – less
upbeat
cashier (Current Employee), pelham manor, nyOctober 13, 2014
i loved making shakes and running food. The store is very clean and and customer friendly
Awful Management
Shift Leader (Former Employee), Loveland, COOctober 5, 2014
Pros: free food, i loved my customers
Cons: no breaks, horrible management
Typical day at work would be opening the store and getting ready for the day. Balancing all the drawers, and safe, making sure the money was right

I learned great management skills and time management skills

The management was not very good. The GM neglected his employees, the owners also neglected their store

My co-workers became like family to – more... me

The hardest part was when my (older) employees had problems listening to me because I was younger

The most enjoyable was when my regular customers would come in and be amazed I could remember their order and name. Also working with great employees – less
An Awful Place To Work With Shad People
Cashier and front end service (Former Employee), Ramsey, NJSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: 75% off food
Cons: unprofessional sadistic bosses
A day at work would could be a grueling 11 hour day with only a 30 minute break.
Management was unprofessional, sadistic, short tempered, unsympathetic or empathetic to anything and everything employee related, and unfair.
Coworkers struggled to survive harsh treatment from management in a dog eat dog style.
There was nothing enjoyable about the job.
Yummy!
Guest Service Expert (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 6, 2014
Great food and even better people! A fun place to work! They offer a great chance to build solid relationships with repeat customers.
Entry Level Job with High Turnover
Cashier/GSE (Former Employee), San Clemente, CAAugust 8, 2014
The typical day consisted of cleaning, customer service, taking food orders, stocking the store, and delivering meals to guests.
During my time at this job, I learned the basics of a "front of house" fast food job. Though the management was lacking in areas, I was able to ask my co-workers for help while I was still learning.
This location seems to – more... need more time to mature and the shift leaders need more time to understand how to run it efficiently.
The hardest part of the job was its inconsistency with scheduling on a weekly basis.
Though my time there was not the longest, what I did enjoy was talking to the guests and learning more about different work environments. – less
Started off as cashier and am now a shift leader
Cashier/Shift Leader (Current Employee), Sugar Land, TXJuly 17, 2014
Pros: the ability to grow within the company
Cons: no benefits for part time employees.
I started with this company in November 2009 as a cashier and have learned a lot. With my hard work and dedication I was promoted to the position I am now which is shift leader.
Stressful workplace with terrible management
Cook (Former Employee), Glendale, AZJune 22, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: stressful, terrible management, hot kitchen, etc.
After clocking in, I would begin preparing food for customers that would be coming into the restaurant that night. Also responsible for cooking food and doing dishes/cleaning. Hardest part of the job was dealing with management and easiest was working with my friends in the kitchen.
Very Casual Fun Workplace
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee), Arlington Heights, ILJune 19, 2014
Pros: flexible with hours
Cons: n/a
SamashBurger is a very fast pace moving casual restaurant, Where our goal is to be Everyones Favorite burger spot. Management staff and Co-workers are very easy to get along with and will help you throughout the way. to teach you as much as they can, its a learning experience because everyone has different experience levels, so you get the chance to – more... learn from everybody. On a typical day you will have prep to do in the morning, you will clean the store in down time (dishes, ect). You will work with fellew co-worker(s) depending on time and day. what i have learned is to be the best at what i do in the kitchen no matter what and to be the be a team platyer and to teach others what i have learned so that they can do it the right way, I was taught how to do Paperwork for management even though I'm only a cook. so that i can have the chance to move up. The most enjoyable/hardest part about the job is when you get hit in the rushes of customers piling into the restaurant and its just non-stop moving for long periods of time, thats when the adrenline kicks in. – less
Priductive Fast Paced Enviornment
GSE (Former Employee), Irving, TXJune 13, 2014
Pros: half off food
Working for Smashburger was very rewarding. I enjoyed working with everyone of my fellow co-workers. The managers didn't treat you any different as in they made you feel like what you had to say was important as well.
Typical Things At Work
Cook (Former Employee), ILJune 1, 2014
Come into work hope the last shift did there job. Get to work on what wasn't done and what has to be done. Also cook at the sametime. What I learned is a lot of fast food places lose alot of workers due to poor management. The hardest thing was the commute back and forth to work. And being disciplined for being 5-10 mins late. And there's people living – more... around the corner calling off with made up reasons. The most enjoyable part was when we had a big rush and we get the customers in and out with team work. – less
Good first job
Guest Service Expert (Former Employee), Littleton, COMay 29, 2014
Pros: 50% off food when working
its a good first job if you're looking for job experience but might not be the most enjoyable.
Fast Paced, interesting
Front Team Member- Greet (Current Employee), West Bloomfield, MIMay 28, 2014
Smashburger is a great place to work. The staff is pleasant and very willing to coach new employees. Lots of teamwork

1 2 3 4