SmartStyle Employee Reviews

We have everything you need to succeed as a stylist!
Salon Leader (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 October 2017
Working inside Walmart with thousands of customers walking by the SmartStyle salon everyday can become your guests! And once they're your guest, they are going to tell their family and friends, who could become referral guests, There are thousands of potential guests waiting for you!
good salon
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Provincia di Cuneo, Piemonte19 July 2017
It is good company. they provide training for the staff. Salary is ok. The environment is good. They encourage their stylist. They help the stylist to learn new things
Good experience if you are starting out as a nee stylist
Employee (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON1 June 2017
Working at Smartstyle has it's up's and down's.
It is VERY good if you are starting off and you want to grow faster in your cuts and service.
Not so good if you stick with them and no other salon...you could be working with some very unproffesional employees and even an acting manager. Oh yeah. And since it's in walmart the floor was stained beyond repair, one broken chair, hair all over the backroom, colour stains on chairs...in short: it's a dirty salon if they are cheap to fix it.

Oh YES...I almost forgot. Trying to ask for time off, especially for religious holiday reasons is almost impossible there. Better to work at a Sunday-Monday salon, even self-employment so you can choose your hours.
Pros
Good cutting experience, good pay.
Cons
Long hours, high turnover, walk-in basis, very unproffesional salon
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 October 2016
Good place to work the hours are all over for place which I am not to happy about. But as of right now we are short staff
Great co workers
Pros
Free pizza once a month
Cons
It's a Monday - Sunday job
Horrible Atmosphere Even Worse Manager
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON18 August 2016
No training. Everyone at the walmart checkouts stare at you while you do hair. No one with any skills works here. Manager knows nothing about hair, or business. She picks favorites and singles you out if you aren't on her good side. NOT PROFESSIONAL AT ALL. DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!
Educational workplace with Benefits
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Rymal, ON23 May 2016
I have worked in this establishment for 2 1/2 years. There are many benefits to this job, you receive benefits and get paid either hourly or by commission. You start of by hourly and when you become frequently busy you receive commission. This company provides many educational opportunities which is great because not many salons offer that. Every Location is differently run and you will not know what the environment is like until you start. As long as you have a flexible schedule and are a reliable punctual employee there should not be any problems in this work place. It can be a fast paced workplace and usually I find the smart style locations get a large variety of service (colour, style,and cut) which is wonderful because there are many just cut and go salons. You get paid minimum wage, unless you become a manger or district leader. You do get to keep all of your tips which helps. If you plan to stay in the company for a long time and would like to become a manger/district leader when the positions are available it could end up being a wonderful place to work in the long run. Every employee environment is different but I found most employees and their managers are very friendly and understanding.Overall a great workplace and a friendly environment.
Pros
Free education, benefits, commission/or hourly, variety of services, keep all tips
hairstylist
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ON2 May 2016
This job was a great work experience, where I learnt to properly greet and service customers. Cleanliness of my station and work area. Obtain a professional performance all day and every day.
We had to work with chemicals and create a safe environment when applying color on a client along with keeping our guest happy. This was a great opportunity to offer sales of product to our guest.
Awful Salon
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 August 2015
Treated me so bad, manager expected way too much from me. Coworkers were catty and drama. Boring and slow salon, no traffic.
No permeant schedule, always had to call in or they let me know when i work which was stressful.
Pros
In a walmart, easy access to food
Cons
Exactly what i wrote there
good job
Manager/ HairStylist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 August 2015
This company is great. the job offers benefits and great hours. Lot of opportunities to make commission. friendly work environment.
It was like running a daycare
Manager/Stylist (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON3 August 2015
The entire experience was a nightmare. Unreliable staff, staff turn over, walk-in system so overlap in chemical services, head office over ruling management.
Should be called "Dumb Style"
Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 October 2014
I was Manager/Hairstylist
They are a terrible company!!
All they care about is pushing product
And hire unexperienced stylist.!!
Head office is horrible..
No appreciation for hard work..
Do yourself a favour.. Do not work in any location!!!
Pros
Customers
Cons
Management.. Lousy pay
Like the customers
Hairstylist at Regis (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford12 September 2014
Like making customers feel good.
Like cutting hair and styling.
Relaxed environment.
Pros
Bennefits
Cons
Not busy enough
fun place to work
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  kelowna b.c.19 April 2013
was a fun place to work i enjoyed working there it was a great learning place i learned alot there. the hardest part was waiting for other customers. the coworkers were nice and we all got along.
smartstyle
hairdresser (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB13 August 2012
not a good place to work mangement is to young an would rather believe the drama then fix it
productive and fun work place.
hair salon (Former Employee) –  Amherstburg, ON12 August 2012
i learned alot from working in this profession. My coworkers were a privellage to work with i truly enjoyed my experice.
Pros
good hours
Cons
not enough employees
Fast working pace
Hairstlist (Former Employee) –  Peterborough Ontario3 December 2011
Hard place to keep employed company is hard on employees don't give raises they expect you to give yourself a raise.
Pros
exposure to meeting new and old clients
Cons
can't have out side jobs! don't pay enough.