SMARTSTYLE

SMARTSTYLE Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast working pace
Hairstlist (Former Employee), Peterborough OntarioDecember 3, 2011
Pros: exposure to meeting new and old clients
Cons: can't have out side jobs! don't pay enough.
Hard place to keep employed company is hard on employees don't give raises they expect you to give yourself a raise.
Good First time job
Salon Manager (Former Employee), Vineland, NJJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: easy, gain experience
Cons: compensation, location, upper management, schedule, benefits
Smartstyle is inside walmarts. its ok. it was busy at first but then it slowed down to a hault. I was made to work long 8 hour shifts by myself because they didnt want to hire anymore people. I worked a lot of overtime and became exhausted. the benefits arent that good and the compensation sucks. only 38% commission to start. considering how slow it is, you wont make much. i didnt like how it was in walmart either. i love walmart but customers and most people dont believe a stylist working in a hair salon in walmart can do a good job. i felt i always had to prove myself. I didnt like being judged. i also didnt like the shopping carts being brought in constantly. it was a very stressful time for me at this job but i was a manager. as a stylist it wasnt too bad.

it is a good job to have right after school to gain experience.
Fun place to work, heavy traffic flow. Loved all my clients.
Stylist (Former Employee), Roanoke, TXJanuary 9, 2015
Stylist - offering cosmetology services as outlined by TDLR.
Very fun to work
Stylist (Former Employee), Beaver Falls, PANovember 29, 2014
Pros: training, enviroment
Cons: hard to build up clientelle
Great place, offers a lot of furthering education and training. Great people, you will learn a lot.
not a good place to work
Stylist (Former Employee), Searcy, ARNovember 23, 2014
Pros: discount on products
Cons: pay! no advancement, hours
Worked at smartstyle a couple years. Not much opportunity to advance. The company is all about money. And all you are to them is a number. All they care about is you make money for them. They make commission sound like a great thing but when it comes down to it your not making very much. And you have to work your hind end off to even get to 50 percent commission!! The hours are ridiculous and its hard to have a social life outside of work!!!
I'd make this a last resort in desperation for a job! Just saying! I hated going to work everyday because I knew I'd work my butt off for very little!
fun enviroment
Hair Stylist/Receptionist (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 15, 2014
Pros: discount on products
A typical day at work consists of clipper cutting, hair coloring, restocking shelves
ok place to start, but definitely not long term.
cosmetologist (Former Employee), Ottumwa, IowaNovember 1, 2014
Pros: i got to do hair..
Cons: low pay, required weekends, high turnover, terrible clients with loaction. the list goes on and on
I began at smart style in 2011, it was ok.. but over time things just kept changing, my salon went through 5 district leaders in two years. Nothing we ever did was right even though we met all goals given to us. With this company it all comes down to money and they dont care about their stylists as long as the money is coming in. Ridiculous hours, no life outside of work.. work every weekend (friday saturday and sunday required).. this company is hands down the worst company I have ever worked for.
was a very slow store
Manager (Former Employee), Columbia, SCOctober 8, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: slow
although in the beginning all was awesome. then changes with upper management changed and all that was promised was taken back.
Fun Environment
Hairstylist (Former Employee), Ottumwa, IASeptember 19, 2014
Great co workers. Good location. Lots of traffic to the salon and potential is there!
Fun and stable
Hair Stylist / Receptionist (Former Employee), Apache Junction, AZ and Pueblo, COSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: keep all your own tips. do what you love.
Cons: standing on your feet all day.
Smartstyle is owned by Regis brand corporation. Fun place to work. Stable as in if you don't make commission you will always at least make minimum wage.
good place to work when manager was not there
Stylist (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLSeptember 5, 2014
I was pregnant the majority of the time i worked her and the manager was not considerate of my pregnancy. the manager complained when i had to go to the bathroom a lot and said it had counted as my 15 minute break. the other stylist were great to work with but it was not a super fun place to work at times.
Awesome Place to Work
STYLIST (Former Employee), Hays KSSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: doing just hair
Cons: doing just hair
I loved the fast pace of being in a salon. Mostly walk-ins but we also were able to fit our own clientele in once we earned them.
Very productive fun job
Hairstylist (Former Employee), Mount Vernon, ILAugust 25, 2014
Pros: good job
Cons: terrible payscale
Good job . Payscale changed to make it harder to support my family.
Great starting place
Hairstylist (Former Employee), Washington, NCJuly 29, 2014
Smartstyle is a great place to start for stylists who just graduated from cosmetology. You are always busy and if you work hard enough there is an opportunity for advancement
Outgoing personality
Cosmetologist (Current Employee), New Castle, PAJuly 17, 2014
Pros: tips
Cons: minimum wage pay
I learned a lot from working at SmartStyle, I met a lot of different kinds of people and had different conversations. When working with the public you have to be upbeat and outgoing, and working here helped a lot with that. The hardest part was pleasing certain people. However, I have met some really respectable people.
Worst Place EVER
Stylist (Former Employee), Killian Rd Walmart, Columbia, SCMay 23, 2014
Pros: learned a lot from other stylists
Cons: low pay, horrible management
The manager would be mad if you would get more clients than her, she didn't know how to be a manager in any way shape or form! She was running other stylist's client's out of the salon because she was jealous that they were doing well. Everyone in the salon would go to the DM about issues with her, but they would never do anything about it. Then when it got to the point where I couldn't stand working with her anymore I was told I should resign! Instead of getting rid of the root of the problem, they get rid of good stylists.
Privides alot of education.
manager/stylist (Former Employee), az.May 7, 2014
Pros: able to move up
Cons: pay, management/company a
I was a stylist then became a manager. The pay was awful for all I had to do. The company was going through alot of changes but never seem to follow through. Overall I was comfortable there but you can't support a family on the pay they give you unless is all you do is work. I needed a more reliable paycheck.
great customers but short staffed
Stylist, Cosmetologist (Former Employee), Ames, IowaApril 25, 2014
It was a great place to get some experience. But it was really disorganized and short staffed. I loved the customers they were great, and created a really fun environment
stylist
STYLIST (Former Employee), desloge moApril 1, 2014
This was my first job as a hair stylist and they provided a lot of training.
Salon in Walmart
Stylist (Former Employee), phoenix azMarch 30, 2014
Applied cosmetology skills. Customer service. Retail sales. Salon cleanliness routines.

1 2 3 4

About SMARTSTYLE

Regis is hair, there, and everywhere. The world's biggest hair salon company, Regis owns, franchises, or holds a stake in some – Read more