SmartCentres is Canada’s largest developer and operator of unenclosed shopping centres. Our more than 200 locations across Canada offer some of the best commercial retail space in the country bringing shoppers the perfect combination of convenience, value and the most popular retail concepts.
Why Work at SmartCentres?
SmartCentres offers a variety of exciting and challenging career opportunities. To attract and retain talented people, we offer a different and more rewarding employment opportunity than others in our industry.
Employees at SmartCentres can expect:
- A commitment to continuous learning and development
- The opportunity to work along some of the most talented commercial real estate professionals
- Competitive rewards and recognition programs
- A culture which values and respects employee needs
- An entrepreneurial environment where employees are encouraged to try new things.
If you are looking for an opportunity where open communication and teamwork is encouraged, and where you will be recognized and respected as an active leader, look no further than SmartCentres.
Reports to: Portfolio Leader/ Sr. Portfolio Leader/ Executive Portfolio Leader
Manage all land development and various site acquisitions for a number of projects and trade areas within the portfolio. In coordination with Portfolio Leader, identify suitable sites for retail development within specified markets, in accordance with Company’s current and future objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Land Economics, or related field, and or other Professional Designation;
- Minimum seven years of experience in a land development capacity and other components of real estate development;
- Demonstrable experience in seeking land use entitlements and successfully obtaining a significant use of land development , preferably for a company whose primary business is commercial land development, or a related field;
- Managerial experience required, specifically in directing a Land Development Associate, managing a professional consultant team, stakeholders, and government department relationships.
The specific duties and responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsive to commercial development opportunities in accordance with the Company’s project plan approval procedures;
- Responsible in co-operation with Portfolio Leader for site acquisition, either through directing an acquisitions specialist, an outside broker, or through direct contact with prospective vendors;
- Responsible for executing approved project plans through the coordination of, and teaming with, outside consultants, Land Development Associates, financial analysts, administrative assistants, the Sr. Director Engineering & Development, and the Leasing manager, as well as through consultation with the Portfolio Leader. Project Plans include: official plan amendments, site plan approvals for various commercial sites, as well as manage the approval process for zoning and rezoning permits
- Develop, train, coach and manage team members to increase their efficiency in bringing forward new projects and executing approved project plans;
- Responsible for project update meetings, and project plan revisions or updates in satisfaction of J.V. partner’s requirements, on an as needed basis;
- Maintain sr. relationships in order to pursue executive required approvals;
- Opportunity for some independence in the decision making process;
The Senior Land Development Manager must be client focused, advocate and communicate a positive image of the company, both internally and externally. The Senior Land Development Manager shall take accountability for decisions made and conduct oneself in a respectful and ethical manner in representing the company’s interests. The Senior Land Development Manager shall demonstrate entrepreneurialism and behave like an “owner” in carrying out daily tasks and responsibilities; demonstrating creativity and resourcefulness in achieving desired results. The Senior Land Development Manager is expected to be a team player and work effectively with colleagues and associates in terms of input, sharing of ideas and working to achieve common goal.