SmartCentres is Canada’s largest developer and operator of unenclosed shopping centres. Our more than 200 locations across Canada offer some of the best commercial retail space in the country bringing shoppers the perfect combination of convenience, value and the most popular retail concepts.
Why Work at SmartCentres?
SmartCentres offers a variety of exciting and challenging career opportunities. To attract and retain talented people, we offer a different and more rewarding employment opportunity than others in our industry.
Employees at SmartCentres can expect:
- A commitment to continuous learning and development
- The opportunity to work along some of the most talented commercial real estate professionals
- Competitive rewards and recognition programs
- A culture which values and respects employee needs
- An entrepreneurial environment where employees are encouraged to try new things.
If you are looking for an opportunity where open communication and teamwork is encouraged, and where you will be recognized and respected as an active leader, look no further than SmartCentres.
Title: Land Development Associate
Reports to: Sr. Manager, Land Development/Director, Land Development/Executive Portfolio Leader
Assist the Land Development Manager in all facets of the land development process.
- B.Comm or Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Land Economics, Geography, Public Administration or related field;
- Additional designation and/or certification an asset.
- Minimum 2 years experience in a Land Development capacity preferably within a real estate industry;
- Must excel in ability to prioritize workload;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate across all levels within, as well as, outside the company;
- Proficient in MS Word, Power Point, Project, Excel, Lotus Notes, and Adobe Acrobat;
- Must own personal vehicle and have a valid driver’s license as some travel will be required.
The specific duties and responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- With assistance of Land Development Manager, coordinate, monitor and manage all consultants;
- Manage site plan approvals (development permit), building permits, subdivision and minor variance applications;
- Coordinate with internal leasing and construction departments at all stages of development;
- Manage the municipal approval process for out parcel land development;
- Coordinate the provision, reduction and retrieval of letters of credit;
- Obtain all pertinent regulatory information on prospective purchases;
- Prepare and provide demographic, traffic and competition information;
- Liaise with tenants, politicians, municipal staff and other approval agencies;
- Maintain information flow within the team including regular reporting;
- Maintain the filing of all land use related applications;
- Track status of applications when required;
- Anticipate potential issues and take a proactive approach in all facets of the role.
The Land Development Associate must be client focused, advocate and communicate a positive image of the company, both internally and externally. The Land Development Associate shall take accountability for decisions made and conduct oneself in a respectful and ethical manner in representing the company’s interests. The Land Development Associate shall demonstrate
entrepreneurialism and behave like an “owner” in carrying out daily tasks and responsibilities; demonstrating creativity and resourcefulness in achieving desired results. The Land Development Associate is expected to be a team player and work effectively with colleagues and associates in terms of input, sharing of ideas and working to achieve common goal.