SMART Technologies Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A typical day at work, for me:
Customs, Import and Export Documentation Clerk (Former Employee), Kanata, ONNovember 5, 2013
Pros: very friendly office environment; good products, good food in the cafeteria, free beverages.
Cons: re-structuring is a necessity in order to prosper, my position was eliminated due to the last re-structuring.
The word typical doesn't apply to SMART Technologies because this organization is ever moving and evolving in a very positive way.

My tasks, although at times repetitive, were always challenging and that is something I managed with pride and good work ethics.

I learned something new every day. Whether it was about cultures, new Customs regulations or simply about shipping lanes, there is always something new to discover. This made my day interesting and enjoyable.

The SMART Technologies global teams were always there to lend a hand when required or appreciative of my assistance to them. We were a team.

I wouldn't say that there were hard parts to the job, merely challenges, such as time zones and having the capability of reaching contacts abroad.

The most enjoyable part of this position was being able to say that I had done a good job that day, confident that our customers were satisfied and that I had contributed to the success of the company.
Managment helpful in dealing with shortage of materials
Assembler/ Electronics (Former Employee), 501 Palladium Drive, Kanata, ON K2V 0A2August 26, 2012
Pros: free lunch
Cons: lack of updated communication between assemblers & supervisors
Since I worked mostly alone, I learned to manage the electronics department,to prioritise the work orders in a timely manner. As well as proactively identified quality and production process issues to resolve with process engineering in a timely fashion. When ever I needed hand,additional personel to help build in order to close the work order on time; the managers were always helpful. As well as any shortage of material issues, the material handlers were very helpful. The hardest part of the job was when the work order was incomplete by the material handlers, & I have to run around to find her/him to complete the missing items....the most enjoyable part of the job is I get to sit or stand doing my job plus get to walk around the ware-house which give me the freedom to exercise ....as well as the trust the supervisors & managements had in me. Since I always inform them of any issues, & report on progress, there was no need to supervise electronics in a daily basis.
Great people, salary, benefits
Data Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 5, 2015
Pros: People, people, people, location, benefits
Cons: Keep up the great work! I've worked for some of the corporate technical super-giants!
I worked at SMART Technologies full-time.Great people, salary, benefits, and I loved working there.
I'd always felt as if there had to be a place that would value my unique style, quick wit, boisterous laugh and zest for all things creative. A place that would understand when you're spending copious amounts of time in one place, you need some form of release to break up the monotony. It seems like I had finally found the nook "to hang my hat." People often forget that we're at work more than we're with our friends, family and significant others. Work should be a place that when we wake up in the morning we are happy to be getting out of bed and preparing for. It was for me to work at Smart Technologies!
Amazing technology and Creative clients
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2015
SMART Technologies is an interesting place to work. The technology they produce for the education market is amazing and world class. Teachers and educators use the interactive technologies SMART produces in ways one never thought imaginable. Speaking with these people and telling their stories was my favorite part of working at SMART Technologies.

The company is currently experiencing some growing pains after the last recession. The new President has a good vision of where to take the company but is still working on ironing out the kinks with middle management. As a result it is not the most stable company to work for at the present time.

All this being said the people who work there are great and the company culture was improving.
Whooho raise 5 months late....and Whohooo just over 2%
Testing & Quality Assurance Analyst II (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 20, 2013
Pros: all the good pjm and pm left alrady.
Cons: i happend to be there.
It was a pretty good community, I was working with, always top of the quality. All of sudden the quality is no longer where it was.

The leaders keep saying The 3 On's, apparently that is not the case as the PjM' and PMs are pushing sub par quality software.

Never before have i had so many bugs deferred, than this year.

Let see how they will do with unbound spaces (but full of bugs) we deffer!!!!!
Interesting. Enjoy being part of a team who build interactive whiteboards that help children with learning disabilities.
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 11, 2014
Pros: work 1/2 hour extra a day and get a day off a month
Cons: head quarters have decided to close the otttawa office, letting go 80 people
A typical day at SMART is exciting. Learned more on how the Interactive White Boards are made and work. I am proud to be an employee at SMART.
It is gratifying to hear from Educational Customers who have been able to give Autistic Children an easier way to learn and collaborate with their peers in class.
Great product ideas, lack of direction
Project Manager (Former Employee), Kanata, ONSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: good benefit package, excellent coworkers
Cons: no work life balance
Great employees, very professional and dedicated team of people.
Excellent product ideas, it was great being part of a team that changed the way children learn in the classrooms and the way people interact from remote locations.
In the past 3 years management lacked direction.
Even though you get a great vacation package, it is hard to get away from work while you are expected to work evenings and weekends and be on call 24/7.
Great place to work with good friends and managers
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), CalgaryJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: many staff events, great co workers
Cons: stressful at times
- Tested software and hard ware daily.
- Test lead project
- Learned how to be a good team player
- Learned how to troubleshoot fast and effectively
- Learned new technical skills
- Had a very approachable management team
- Coworkers were hard working and very friendly
- Hardest part of the job was going through company reconstruction
- Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a great product being released
High turn over rate and not a place for me.
Inventory Control Analyst (Former Employee), Calgayr, ABJuly 11, 2013
Pros: my team was the best
Cons: felt like i was being watched at all times
Direct supervisor and team were awesome to be around and get along with however too many politics. Founders of the company seem like micro managers and are scolding employees all the time. Constant bickering between managers and employees in other departments and lack of communictions in company.
SMART is full of great people and cool products.
Senior Systems Validation Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: flexible work hours allow for a great work / life balance
Cons: bloated management structure reduces workplace efficiency, no foucs on promoting from within.
Overall a very comfortable place to work. The corporate culture is morphing into one with a lot of positive energy. Tons of technology in meeting spaces promotes effective collaboration opportunities.
Great cult(ure) but don't expect anything else
Web Developer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 25, 2013
Pros: peers (if any are still there), job security
Cons: salary, advancement, poor managment, no direction, no future outlook
Used to be a great place to work until the business went public. Currently plagued with clueless managers and kiss-butt employees. Stay clear of this place or add it to your resume for experience.
Productive workplace, co-workers are all very hard working and nice to work with
Senior NPI Procurement Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 2, 2013
Pros: co-workers are generally nice people
Cons: long hours and low job security
Working at Smart is very challenging. However, people are generally hardworking and nice to work with. You will have to work long hours and the salary is generally lower than other Calgary companies. You also have to face uncertainty that you maybe layoff anytime.
Worked with really great people
Server Analyst (Current Employee), calgaryApril 17, 2015
Pros: Boss, Co-workers
Cons: CEO's poor managment driving the company into the ground
All in all i enjoyed my time there, great Boss and my co workers were fantastic. Unique Culture with alot of funtimes. Sadly the powers that be don't know where they are taking the company and its suffering.
I am still miss these days I worked with Smart.
I am just a normal assembler. (Former Employee), 501 Palladium Dr, Ottawa, ONOctober 11, 2012
Pros: usually when i worked at smart had a free lunch
Cons: sometime i am not feel working long hours maybe because i have fun when i worked at smart tech.
The most wonderful days working at Smart Tech now only in my memories. I feel sad and bad when I am not working at this place anymore.
It's a great place to have worked with
Team Lead - Maintenance (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 31, 2012
Pros: good benefits overall
Cons: moved their manufacturing operations overseas
SMART has given me the opportunity to work with them and did my best in return to contribute to its goals and objectives which I am proud of.
productive and fun workplace
Production Assembly Line Operator (Former Employee), ottawaAugust 18, 2012
I've learned and contineously learned new things that developed my skills . Excellent workplace management and very diversed company.Co workers are freindly and supportive. Hardest part of the job is when it slowed down . Most enjoyable part is team work
SMART is a good place to start a career
Senior Project Support Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 27, 2013
SMART is a good place to start a career. I learned a lot about people, technology, and customer service. The hardest part about the position was that it required me to handle extremely difficult situations. The people I worked with were awesome.
A company that does not live up to its potential
rather not say (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 11, 2012
Pros: generous time off, interesting work
Cons: struggling market position, poor compensation, top heavy, poor management
SMART is a frustrating workplace. It has many creative people who are stifled by poor management.
Challenging environment
Senior Accountant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 16, 2015
Pros: Hardworking people
Cons: Company seems lost and confused about their direction
Challenging environment with a lot of changes. Company seems to be confused about the direction they should be going. There is a lot of trial and error and changes being made with the hope that everything will work out.
Amazing place to work
Hardware Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee), Halifax, NSOctober 2, 2012
This place is the call center that is too good to be true. You work in a professional environment and you feel like you are contributing to the project you work for. You aren't just a number. You will love it here