SMART Technologies Employee Reviews

Free Pop Fridges
Product Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2016
Initially a great company to work for, but most managers are not willing to provide resources to further all employee's careers. Promises of advancement are never fulfilled. The whole building seems to adopt a high school attitude towards projects and even team work. They advertise a positive work environment but with all of the politics and rules, it is a very toxic environment.
I learnt alot
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2016
The management was very clicky- I couldnt trust anyone with information - this of course was a while ago therefore It might be great now I'm not too sure.
Pros
many of the employees were great
Fun and exciting products
Application Software Developer/Release Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 July 2016
Great legacy products but management do not make decisions based on customer insight but instead their gut feeling and impulse.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Customers are not put at the fore front.
Fun
Business development (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2016
Employees were very friendly and welcoming. They were willing to show you around their city. The work environment could get rocky at times, but with a good team it was easy to work through
Excellent place of work
People Services/Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 March 2016
Smart encouraged individual growth as they were smart enough to know that a team is only as strong as its weakest link.They provided employees with cross training as well as many other opportunities to shine within the company's infrastructure. They compensated people well for work accomplished and offered employees many opportunities to involve their families ie. contest and family picnics.
Pros
wonderful atmosphere and senior staff
Great people, salary, benefits
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 August 2015
I worked at SMART Technologies full-time.Great people, salary, benefits, and I loved working there.
I'd always felt as if there had to be a place that would value my unique style, quick wit, boisterous laugh and zest for all things creative. A place that would understand when you're spending copious amounts of time in one place, you need some form of release to break up the monotony. It seems like I had finally found the nook "to hang my hat." People often forget that we're at work more than we're with our friends, family and significant others. Work should be a place that when we wake up in the morning we are happy to be getting out of bed and preparing for. It was for me to work at Smart Technologies!
Pros
People, people, people, location, benefits
Cons
Keep up the great work! I've worked for some of the corporate technical super-giants!
SMART is full of great people and cool products.
Senior Systems Validation Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 February 2015
Overall a very comfortable place to work. The corporate culture is morphing into one with a lot of positive energy. Tons of technology in meeting spaces promotes effective collaboration opportunities.
Pros
Flexible work hours allow for a great work / life balance
Cons
Bloated management structure reduces workplace efficiency, no foucs on promoting from within.
Challenging environment
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2015
Challenging environment with a lot of changes. Company seems to be confused about the direction they should be going. There is a lot of trial and error and changes being made with the hope that everything will work out.
Pros
Hardworking people
Cons
Company seems lost and confused about their direction
Amazing technology and Creative clients
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2015
SMART Technologies is an interesting place to work. The technology they produce for the education market is amazing and world class. Teachers and educators use the interactive technologies SMART produces in ways one never thought imaginable. Speaking with these people and telling their stories was my favorite part of working at SMART Technologies.

The company is currently experiencing some growing pains after the last recession. The new President has a good vision of where to take the company but is still working on ironing out the kinks with middle management. As a result it is not the most stable company to work for at the present time.

All this being said the people who work there are great and the company culture was improving.
Great product ideas, lack of direction
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON15 September 2014
Great employees, very professional and dedicated team of people.
Excellent product ideas, it was great being part of a team that changed the way children learn in the classrooms and the way people interact from remote locations.
In the past 3 years management lacked direction.
Even though you get a great vacation package, it is hard to get away from work while you are expected to work evenings and weekends and be on call 24/7.
Pros
Good benefit package, excellent coworkers
Cons
No work life balance
Good Products Lack Management
Senior Channel Account Director, West (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 July 2015
SMART is in a good potential marketplace, but lack management who understand the basics of running a business or how to penetrate a market.
Pros
Good Products
Cons
Worked with really great people
Server Analyst (Current Employee) –  calgary17 April 2015
All in all i enjoyed my time there, great Boss and my co workers were fantastic. Unique Culture with alot of funtimes. Sadly the powers that be don't know where they are taking the company and its suffering.
Pros
Boss, Co-workers
Cons
CEO's poor managment driving the company into the ground
Great place to work with good friends and managers
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary31 January 2014
- Tested software and hard ware daily.
- Test lead project
- Learned how to be a good team player
- Learned how to troubleshoot fast and effectively
- Learned new technical skills
- Had a very approachable management team
- Coworkers were hard working and very friendly
- Hardest part of the job was going through company reconstruction
- Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a great product being released
Pros
Many staff events, great co workers
Cons
Stressful at times
Whooho raise 5 months late....and Whohooo just over 2%
Testing & Quality Assurance Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 December 2013
It was a pretty good community, I was working with, always top of the quality. All of sudden the quality is no longer where it was.

The leaders keep saying The 3 On's, apparently that is not the case as the PjM' and PMs are pushing sub par quality software.

Never before have i had so many bugs deferred, than this year.

Let see how they will do with unbound spaces (but full of bugs) we deffer!!!!!
Pros
All the good PjM and PM left alrady.
Cons
I happend to be there.
Productive workplace, co-workers are all very hard working and nice to work with
Senior NPI Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2013
Working at Smart is very challenging. However, people are generally hardworking and nice to work with. You will have to work long hours and the salary is generally lower than other Calgary companies. You also have to face uncertainty that you maybe layoff anytime.
Pros
co-workers are generally nice people
Cons
Long hours and low job security
High turn over rate and not a place for me.
Inventory Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgayr, AB11 July 2013
Direct supervisor and team were awesome to be around and get along with however too many politics. Founders of the company seem like micro managers and are scolding employees all the time. Constant bickering between managers and employees in other departments and lack of communictions in company.
Pros
My team was the best
Cons
Felt like I was being watched at all times
Great cult(ure) but don't expect anything else
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2013
Used to be a great place to work until the business went public. Currently plagued with clueless managers and kiss-butt employees. Stay clear of this place or add it to your resume for experience.
Pros
peers (if any are still there), job security
Cons
salary, advancement, poor managment, no direction, no future outlook
A great place to work and learn
ECOSYSTEM SPECIALIST - EDUCATION (Current Employee) –  Calgary1 May 2013
Overall, I really enjoy working at SMART Technologies. It has unique corporate culture, cutting edge technologies and reliable products.
In my day to day work, I manage relationships with partner; I manage different programs and projects; work closely with my co-workers and learn from them. I really like my manager, and his manage style.

The hardest part about my job is: I do not have any technical background.
Yes, I am fine with learning database administration, website updates, and IT products, but i do not have much passionate on IT industry, that is way I am looking for a job in a different industry.

I enjoy how dynamic my job is. I manage different program, participate in trade shows and conferences, help with website design, and create marketing promotional materials.
Pros
professional working environment
Cons
is not my favourite industry
I am still miss these days I worked with Smart.
I am just a normal assembler. (Former Employee) –  501 Palladium Dr, Ottawa, ON11 October 2012
The most wonderful days working at Smart Tech now only in my memories. I feel sad and bad when I am not working at this place anymore.
Pros
usually when i worked at smart had a free lunch
Cons
sometime i am not feel working long hours maybe because i have fun when i worked at smart tech.
productive and fun workplace
Production Assembly Line Operator (Former Employee) –  ottawa18 August 2012
I've learned and contineously learned new things that developed my skills . Excellent workplace management and very diversed company.Co workers are freindly and supportive. Hardest part of the job is when it slowed down . Most enjoyable part is team work

2.8