SMART Technologies Employee Reviews in Canada

Great people, salary, benefits
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 5, 2015
I worked at SMART Technologies full-time.Great people, salary, benefits, and I loved working there.
I'd always felt as if there had to be a place that would value my unique style, quick wit, boisterous laugh and zest for all things creative. A place that would understand when you're spending copious amounts of time in one place, you need some form of release to break up the monotony. It seems like I had finally found the nook "to hang my hat." People often forget that we're at work more than we're with our friends, family and significant others. Work should be a place that when we wake up in the morning we are happy to be getting out of bed and preparing for. It was for me to work at Smart Technologies!
Pros
People, people, people, location, benefits
Cons
Keep up the great work! I've worked for some of the corporate technical super-giants!
Excellent place of work
People Services/Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 13, 2016
Smart encouraged individual growth as they were smart enough to know that a team is only as strong as its weakest link.They provided employees with cross training as well as many other opportunities to shine within the company's infrastructure. They compensated people well for work accomplished and offered employees many opportunities to involve their families ie. contest and family picnics.
Pros
wonderful atmosphere and senior staff
Productive workplace, co-workers are all very hard working and nice to work with
Senior NPI Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 2, 2013
Working at Smart is very challenging. However, people are generally hardworking and nice to work with. You will have to work long hours and the salary is generally lower than other Calgary companies. You also have to face uncertainty that you maybe layoff anytime.
Pros
co-workers are generally nice people
Cons
long hours and low job security
Great cult(ure) but don't expect anything else
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 25, 2013
Used to be a great place to work until the business went public. Currently plagued with clueless managers and kiss-butt employees. Stay clear of this place or add it to your resume for experience.
Pros
peers (if any are still there), job security
Cons
salary, advancement, poor managment, no direction, no future outlook
A company that does not live up to its potential
rather not say (Former Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 11, 2012
SMART is a frustrating workplace. It has many creative people who are stifled by poor management.
Pros
generous time off, interesting work
Cons
struggling market position, poor compensation, top heavy, poor management
Amazing technology and Creative clients
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2015
SMART Technologies is an interesting place to work. The technology they produce for the education market is amazing and world class. Teachers and educators use the interactive technologies SMART produces in ways one never thought imaginable. Speaking with these people and telling their stories was my favorite part of working at SMART Technologies.

The company is currently experiencing some growing pains after the last recession. The new President has a good vision of where to take the company but is still working on ironing out the kinks with middle management. As a result it is not the most stable company to work for at the present time.

All this being said the people who work there are great and the company culture was improving.
It's a great place to have worked with
Team Lead - Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 31, 2012
SMART has given me the opportunity to work with them and did my best in return to contribute to its goals and objectives which I am proud of.
Pros
good benefits overall
Cons
moved their manufacturing operations overseas
SMART is full of great people and cool products.
Senior Systems Validation Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2015
Overall a very comfortable place to work. The corporate culture is morphing into one with a lot of positive energy. Tons of technology in meeting spaces promotes effective collaboration opportunities.
Pros
flexible work hours allow for a great work / life balance
Cons
bloated management structure reduces workplace efficiency, no foucs on promoting from within.
Good Products Lack Management
Senior Channel Account Director, West (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2015
SMART is in a good potential marketplace, but lack management who understand the basics of running a business or how to penetrate a market.
Pros
Good Products
Cons
Great product ideas, lack of direction
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONSeptember 15, 2014
Great employees, very professional and dedicated team of people.
Excellent product ideas, it was great being part of a team that changed the way children learn in the classrooms and the way people interact from remote locations.
In the past 3 years management lacked direction.
Even though you get a great vacation package, it is hard to get away from work while you are expected to work evenings and weekends and be on call 24/7.
Pros
good benefit package, excellent coworkers
Cons
no work life balance
A great place to work and learn
ECOSYSTEM SPECIALIST - EDUCATION (Current Employee) –  CalgaryMay 1, 2013
Overall, I really enjoy working at SMART Technologies. It has unique corporate culture, cutting edge technologies and reliable products.
In my day to day work, I manage relationships with partner; I manage different programs and projects; work closely with my co-workers and learn from them. I really like my manager, and his manage style.

The hardest part about my job is: I do not have any technical background.
Yes, I am fine with learning database administration, website updates, and IT products, but i do not have much passionate on IT industry, that is way I am looking for a job in a different industry.

I enjoy how dynamic my job is. I manage different program, participate in trade shows and conferences, help with website design, and create marketing promotional materials.
Pros
professional working environment
Cons
is not my favourite industry
Challenging environment
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 16, 2015
Challenging environment with a lot of changes. Company seems to be confused about the direction they should be going. There is a lot of trial and error and changes being made with the hope that everything will work out.
Pros
Hardworking people
Cons
Company seems lost and confused about their direction
Worked with really great people
Server Analyst (Current Employee) –  calgaryApril 17, 2015
All in all i enjoyed my time there, great Boss and my co workers were fantastic. Unique Culture with alot of funtimes. Sadly the powers that be don't know where they are taking the company and its suffering.
Pros
Boss, Co-workers
Cons
CEO's poor managment driving the company into the ground
Managment helpful in dealing with shortage of materials
Assembler/ Electronics (Former Employee) –  501 Palladium Drive, Kanata, ON K2V 0A2August 26, 2012
Since I worked mostly alone, I learned to manage the electronics department,to prioritise the work orders in a timely manner. As well as proactively identified quality and production process issues to resolve with process engineering in a timely fashion. When ever I needed hand,additional personel to help build in order to close the work order on time; the managers were always helpful. As well as any shortage of material issues, the material handlers were very helpful. The hardest part of the job was when the work order was incomplete by the material handlers, & I have to run around to find her/him to complete the missing items....the most enjoyable part of the job is I get to sit or stand doing my job plus get to walk around the ware-house which give me the freedom to exercise ....as well as the trust the supervisors & managements had in me. Since I always inform them of any issues, & report on progress, there was no need to supervise electronics in a daily basis.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
lack of updated communication between assemblers & supervisors
Good group of people
System Validation (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 24, 2015
Good job to have, fun work place and great environment. New technology that is fun to play with, great location and great team of people to work with.
Great place to work with good friends and managers
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJanuary 31, 2014
- Tested software and hard ware daily.
- Test lead project
- Learned how to be a good team player
- Learned how to troubleshoot fast and effectively
- Learned new technical skills
- Had a very approachable management team
- Coworkers were hard working and very friendly
- Hardest part of the job was going through company reconstruction
- Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a great product being released
Pros
many staff events, great co workers
Cons
stressful at times
I am still miss these days I worked with Smart.
I am just a normal assembler. (Former Employee) –  501 Palladium Dr, Ottawa, ONOctober 11, 2012
The most wonderful days working at Smart Tech now only in my memories. I feel sad and bad when I am not working at this place anymore.
Pros
usually when i worked at smart had a free lunch
Cons
sometime i am not feel working long hours maybe because i have fun when i worked at smart tech.
A typical day at work, for me:
Customs, Import and Export Documentation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONNovember 5, 2013
The word typical doesn't apply to SMART Technologies because this organization is ever moving and evolving in a very positive way.

My tasks, although at times repetitive, were always challenging and that is something I managed with pride and good work ethics.

I learned something new every day. Whether it was about cultures, new Customs regulations or simply about shipping lanes, there is always something new to discover. This made my day interesting and enjoyable.

The SMART Technologies global teams were always there to lend a hand when required or appreciative of my assistance to them. We were a team.

I wouldn't say that there were hard parts to the job, merely challenges, such as time zones and having the capability of reaching contacts abroad.

The most enjoyable part of this position was being able to say that I had done a good job that day, confident that our customers were satisfied and that I had contributed to the success of the company.
Pros
very friendly office environment; good products, good food in the cafeteria, free beverages.
Cons
re-structuring is a necessity in order to prosper, my position was eliminated due to the last re-structuring.
High turn over rate and not a place for me.
Inventory Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgayr, ABJuly 11, 2013
Direct supervisor and team were awesome to be around and get along with however too many politics. Founders of the company seem like micro managers and are scolding employees all the time. Constant bickering between managers and employees in other departments and lack of communictions in company.
Pros
my team was the best
Cons
felt like i was being watched at all times
productive and fun workplace
Production Assembly Line Operator (Former Employee) –  ottawaAugust 18, 2012
I've learned and contineously learned new things that developed my skills . Excellent workplace management and very diversed company.Co workers are freindly and supportive. Hardest part of the job is when it slowed down . Most enjoyable part is team work

SMART Technologies Reviews by Location