SMART Technologies Employee Reviews

Good Place to work
Product Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2017
I'd still like to work there if i hadn't been laid off. I was in the process of moving up when I was let go, if i had i'd probably still be there. Could not beat the commute
Pros
in house cafeteria, free pop, great commute, underground parking
Cons
slow to advance
Rewarding
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2017
I am challenged every day to ensure we meet customer needs. The hardest part of my job is the most rewarding when teachers are able to engage children and enhance learning. I know I've accomplished this when classroom stories come back to us and the excitement is profound.
Bad Management with very poor vision
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2017
My lead was awesome but that is the only great thing about that place.

We had directors who would have their favorites and that made it had for career advancement.

CEO/CTO kept telling they will make billions on SMART KAPP which they ended giving out as bonus when company ran out of money.

Marketing Manager kept giving road maps and kept changing them.
There was no vision has led to this companies getting sold.

Used to be great, colleagues are some really nice and brilliant people to work with.

You have to learn the art of marketing and communicating in a nice manner to your boss otherwise there is no career advancement.

Make sure you do not drive home by 4 otherwise an email will arrive from the CEO complaining why did you leave so early????

My advise do not go to a sinking ship unless you want to drown in madness and chaos
Pros
Free pop
Cons
No sense of direction and management just keeps drinking cool aid and not tellin the truth
Fun and collaborative workplace that is open to change.
Systems Validation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2016
SMART had excellent transparency by communicating the company's plans and prospects frequently with the employees. The testing team was particularly fun as an engineer, as SMART has facilities to support prototyping and designing new ideas that could improve the products. The team was extremely supportive of myself as an intern, and of each others' work.
Free Pop Fridges
Product Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2016
Initially a great company to work for, but most managers are not willing to provide resources to further all employee's careers. Promises of advancement are never fulfilled. The whole building seems to adopt a high school attitude towards projects and even team work. They advertise a positive work environment but with all of the politics and rules, it is a very toxic environment.
I learnt alot
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2016
The management was very clicky- I couldnt trust anyone with information - this of course was a while ago therefore It might be great now I'm not too sure.
Pros
many of the employees were great
Fun
Business development (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2016
Employees were very friendly and welcoming. They were willing to show you around their city. The work environment could get rocky at times, but with a good team it was easy to work through
Fun and exciting products
Application Software Developer/Release Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 July 2016
Great legacy products but management do not make decisions based on customer insight but instead their gut feeling and impulse.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Customers are not put at the fore front.
Excellent place of work
People Services/Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 March 2016
Smart encouraged individual growth as they were smart enough to know that a team is only as strong as its weakest link.They provided employees with cross training as well as many other opportunities to shine within the company's infrastructure. They compensated people well for work accomplished and offered employees many opportunities to involve their families ie. contest and family picnics.
Pros
wonderful atmosphere and senior staff
Great people, salary, benefits
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 August 2015
I worked at SMART Technologies full-time.Great people, salary, benefits, and I loved working there.
I'd always felt as if there had to be a place that would value my unique style, quick wit, boisterous laugh and zest for all things creative. A place that would understand when you're spending copious amounts of time in one place, you need some form of release to break up the monotony. It seems like I had finally found the nook "to hang my hat." People often forget that we're at work more than we're with our friends, family and significant others. Work should be a place that when we wake up in the morning we are happy to be getting out of bed and preparing for. It was for me to work at Smart Technologies!
Pros
People, people, people, location, benefits
Cons
Keep up the great work! I've worked for some of the corporate technical super-giants!
Good Products Lack Management
Senior Channel Account Director, West (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 July 2015
SMART is in a good potential marketplace, but lack management who understand the basics of running a business or how to penetrate a market.
Pros
Good Products
Good group of people
System Validation (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2015
Good job to have, fun work place and great environment. New technology that is fun to play with, great location and great team of people to work with.
Challenging environment
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2015
Challenging environment with a lot of changes. Company seems to be confused about the direction they should be going. There is a lot of trial and error and changes being made with the hope that everything will work out.
Pros
Hardworking people
Cons
Company seems lost and confused about their direction
Worked with really great people
Server Analyst (Current Employee) –  calgary17 April 2015
All in all i enjoyed my time there, great Boss and my co workers were fantastic. Unique Culture with alot of funtimes. Sadly the powers that be don't know where they are taking the company and its suffering.
Pros
Boss, Co-workers
Cons
CEO's poor managment driving the company into the ground
SMART is full of great people and cool products.
Senior Systems Validation Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 February 2015
Overall a very comfortable place to work. The corporate culture is morphing into one with a lot of positive energy. Tons of technology in meeting spaces promotes effective collaboration opportunities.
Pros
Flexible work hours allow for a great work / life balance
Cons
Bloated management structure reduces workplace efficiency, no foucs on promoting from within.
Amazing technology and Creative clients
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2015
SMART Technologies is an interesting place to work. The technology they produce for the education market is amazing and world class. Teachers and educators use the interactive technologies SMART produces in ways one never thought imaginable. Speaking with these people and telling their stories was my favorite part of working at SMART Technologies.

The company is currently experiencing some growing pains after the last recession. The new President has a good vision of where to take the company but is still working on ironing out the kinks with middle management. As a result it is not the most stable company to work for at the present time.

All this being said the people who work there are great and the company culture was improving.
It was a good company to work for
Senior System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 January 2015
It was a good company to work for. they moved production to mexico and this affected our office here in Ottawa
Very good compnay
Technical Support Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB10 October 2014
It allowed me to gain Canadian experiece and know about the fabulous SMART products
good working place
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Ottawa,ON.28 September 2014
good working place. nice co-worker. working on line was fun
a great Canadian company
Customs and Export Documentation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON23 September 2014
The products are wonderful, the teams are very friendly and the management style is pleasant.
I learned a lot about manufacturing, exports and guidelines.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMART Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8