SMART Technologies Employee Reviews

Fun and collaborative workplace that is open to change.
Systems Validation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2016
SMART had excellent transparency by communicating the company's plans and prospects frequently with the employees. The testing team was particularly fun as an engineer, as SMART has facilities to support prototyping and designing new ideas that could improve the products. The team was extremely supportive of myself as an intern, and of each others' work.
Free Pop Fridges
Product Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2016
Initially a great company to work for, but most managers are not willing to provide resources to further all employee's careers. Promises of advancement are never fulfilled. The whole building seems to adopt a high school attitude towards projects and even team work. They advertise a positive work environment but with all of the politics and rules, it is a very toxic environment.
I learnt alot
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2016
The management was very clicky- I couldnt trust anyone with information - this of course was a while ago therefore It might be great now I'm not too sure.
Pros
many of the employees were great
Fun and exciting products
Application Software Developer/Release Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 July 2016
Great legacy products but management do not make decisions based on customer insight but instead their gut feeling and impulse.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Customers are not put at the fore front.
Excellent place of work
People Services/Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 March 2016
Smart encouraged individual growth as they were smart enough to know that a team is only as strong as its weakest link.They provided employees with cross training as well as many other opportunities to shine within the company's infrastructure. They compensated people well for work accomplished and offered employees many opportunities to involve their families ie. contest and family picnics.
Pros
wonderful atmosphere and senior staff
Great people, salary, benefits
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 August 2015
I worked at SMART Technologies full-time.Great people, salary, benefits, and I loved working there.
I'd always felt as if there had to be a place that would value my unique style, quick wit, boisterous laugh and zest for all things creative. A place that would understand when you're spending copious amounts of time in one place, you need some form of release to break up the monotony. It seems like I had finally found the nook "to hang my hat." People often forget that we're at work more than we're with our friends, family and significant others. Work should be a place that when we wake up in the morning we are happy to be getting out of bed and preparing for. It was for me to work at Smart Technologies!
Pros
People, people, people, location, benefits
Cons
Keep up the great work! I've worked for some of the corporate technical super-giants!
Good Products Lack Management
Senior Channel Account Director, West (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 July 2015
SMART is in a good potential marketplace, but lack management who understand the basics of running a business or how to penetrate a market.
Pros
Good Products
Good group of people
System Validation (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2015
Good job to have, fun work place and great environment. New technology that is fun to play with, great location and great team of people to work with.
Challenging environment
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2015
Challenging environment with a lot of changes. Company seems to be confused about the direction they should be going. There is a lot of trial and error and changes being made with the hope that everything will work out.
Pros
Hardworking people
Cons
Company seems lost and confused about their direction
Worked with really great people
Server Analyst (Current Employee) –  calgary17 April 2015
All in all i enjoyed my time there, great Boss and my co workers were fantastic. Unique Culture with alot of funtimes. Sadly the powers that be don't know where they are taking the company and its suffering.
Pros
Boss, Co-workers
Cons
CEO's poor managment driving the company into the ground
SMART is full of great people and cool products.
Senior Systems Validation Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 February 2015
Overall a very comfortable place to work. The corporate culture is morphing into one with a lot of positive energy. Tons of technology in meeting spaces promotes effective collaboration opportunities.
Pros
Flexible work hours allow for a great work / life balance
Cons
Bloated management structure reduces workplace efficiency, no foucs on promoting from within.
Amazing technology and Creative clients
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2015
SMART Technologies is an interesting place to work. The technology they produce for the education market is amazing and world class. Teachers and educators use the interactive technologies SMART produces in ways one never thought imaginable. Speaking with these people and telling their stories was my favorite part of working at SMART Technologies.

The company is currently experiencing some growing pains after the last recession. The new President has a good vision of where to take the company but is still working on ironing out the kinks with middle management. As a result it is not the most stable company to work for at the present time.

All this being said the people who work there are great and the company culture was improving.
It was a good company to work for
Senior System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 January 2015
It was a good company to work for. they moved production to mexico and this affected our office here in Ottawa
Very good compnay
Technical Support Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB10 October 2014
It allowed me to gain Canadian experiece and know about the fabulous SMART products
good working place
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Ottawa,ON.28 September 2014
good working place. nice co-worker. working on line was fun
a great Canadian company
Customs and Export Documentation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON23 September 2014
The products are wonderful, the teams are very friendly and the management style is pleasant.
I learned a lot about manufacturing, exports and guidelines.
Great product ideas, lack of direction
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON15 September 2014
Great employees, very professional and dedicated team of people.
Excellent product ideas, it was great being part of a team that changed the way children learn in the classrooms and the way people interact from remote locations.
In the past 3 years management lacked direction.
Even though you get a great vacation package, it is hard to get away from work while you are expected to work evenings and weekends and be on call 24/7.
Pros
Good benefit package, excellent coworkers
Cons
No work life balance
Fast Paced and Multiple Experiences
Transportation Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 May 2014
Fast Paced and Multiple Experiences.

A lot was learned

Hardest to cope with changes, but challenging
Pros
Fast Paced
Cons
Changing Staff
Extremely interesting product, bad management
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 March 2014
Extremely interesting product, lot of nice people, but general organization of development process is extremely messy.
Dealing with CM is ineffective.
Pros
Love Smart Products
Cons
Priorities of management changes 5 times a day
Senior QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 March 2014
I really enjoyed to work at SMART.
Not safe right now; company still facing changes.
Pros
Vacations days
Cons
Located out of downtown core

2.8