SMART SET Employee Reviews in Canada

Smart Set Review
Sales Associate and Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 14, 2015
A typical day at work was always very busy. I had different duties each day but it was always fun. My manager was extremely kind and loving to every girl that worked there. I learned so much teamwork skills while working there, my manager made the store feel like my second home. Everyone that I worked with were like my family. The hardest part of my job would be having to decide how to please the upset customers, when it came to over due return items. This was hard for me because when my manager wasn't there I was technically in charge of making those decisions. The most enjoyable part was coming into the store and learning what the goals are for the day and seeing who I was working with. I am motivated when I have a certain goal to reach and my manager gives me tasks to do. Again, teamwork was a big thing for me so we all worked together.
Pros
Staff I worked with, amazing management
Cons
District Store Managers
amazing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCFebruary 15, 2016
so much fun and the discount at all the sister stores are just amazing. great place for advancement, and given many opportunities to move ahead
Fun and easy to get along with coworkers
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Cambridge,ONAugust 26, 2015
Working at Smart Set was a fun experience. I found the only down fall to working there was the sometimes long hours without customers. But we found was to ensure that time was not wasted. I really enjoyed doing the marketing and markdowns. The manager was amazing and she made sure to help all employees with any problems or difficulties that may have arised.
Pros
staff
Cons
job security
Productive Place
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 28, 2015
Working with coworkers was enjoyable and we were very productive, but the managment has some flaws.But since smart set will be closing in 2016, there is no job security.
Great styles, reasonable prices, Great customer service
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONDecember 19, 2015
Smaller store, welcoming staff. There is room for growth: Starting out as a Sales Associate you can potentially work your way up to Key Holder, Team Lead or Manager. Overall a god experience in the time that I have been there.
Fun Energetic Work Environment
Fashion Stylist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Staff members are great and easy to get along with. Love the fact that i can utilize my customer service skills to cater to each individuals needs/wants
Fun enviorment
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONNovember 26, 2015
Store was in a good location, Had a great store manager but when she had to go on a sick leave she was replaced with someone who was new to the company and tried to overturn all the rules the company had set in place.
Pros
located in mall.
Cons
managment
Reitmans - Hyba
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONOctober 21, 2015
A positive environment. Excellent customer service provided. Staff is well trained and possess outgoing, friendly personalities. Customer satisfaction is the number one priority.
Great Work Experience
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONOctober 20, 2015
I have gained the experience of being able to multitask efficiently in a fast pace environment while maintaining a positive attitude.
Productive and fun environment
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2013
I felt happy to go to work everyday. The environment was a positive one, and everyone seemed to get along. Everyday was a learning experience, which kept things always interesting. One of the major things I learned while working with this company was positive people skills. Everyday you would see a new and different group of customers, and learning how to adapt to each one was a important skill that I learned while there. The co-workers and management team was great. Management team used positive feedback and criticism in order to help you learn and grow. Hardest part of job was probably just being on your feet all day, but that's retail in general. The most enjoyable part of the job was just getting along with all the co-workers and being around people who also enjoyed fashion.
Pros
great discount for smart set and sister stores
Cons
long hours at time
A great Team
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONSeptember 9, 2015
It was a great team to work with, a great training program and clear direction. The Visual presentation was always interesting and consistent, and the staff I had on board took initiative and wanted growth.
Fun and Cheerful but Demanding
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONApril 10, 2013
I enjoyed working at Smart Set. Awesome environmental and great staff!! The typical day at Smart Set was mainly greeting customers, helping customers in fits, letting customers know about promotions and keeping the store presentable. My co workers were amazing and so friendly and helpful and so was the management. It was very fun working there but also very demanding in the sense that there is so much to do while helping a customer. It felt like I was working on commission which would have been easier with the right amount of training or experience. In the end it wasn't the right retail store for me. But I did learn a lot from Smart Set, like how to approach and help a customer, the right questions to ask, how to do add ons and work cash.
Pros
great management and co workers, learned a lot. good environment
Cons
demanding, like working on commission, didn't get right amount of training before leaving
A lot of customer encounters to grow your interpersonal skills
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 7, 2015
Overall I love the experiences gained working at Smart Set, I am going to 5 years working there, so it has allowed me to gain commitment skills. A typical day at work to open or close store, do deposits, check Loss Prevention details via email from District Managers, do visions of the store. I have learned a lot of Human Resources information, how to handle cash for opening and closing the store, how to be a leader for the other sales associates working with me. Management helps and allows for growth within the job. Co-workers are a good to have around to help out with anything throughout the store. Hardest part of the job was going from school to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to meet new people all the time; as in the customers. So it's always something new everyday being at work which doesn't make it boring.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
not enough hours
had a good experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSSeptember 2, 2015
for the short time that I was there I had a great time. The girls that I worked with were very kind and easy to get along with. I was only temporary sadly.
Smart Set
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 11, 2015
A fun place to work that is heavily team oriented. Working with your team is like working with friends and family. Everyone looks out for one and other and has the businesses best interest in mind.
customer service experince
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 27, 2015
- I have learned to be more patient. I have always been patient but I have been more sensitive and cautious with the needs and wants of other people. I have learned to deal with different kinds of races and I learned a lot from each of them.
sales associate
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2012
As a sales associate at Smart Set which is a womens clothing store , you definitely do learn a lot about customer service and are placed in different scenarios in order to always satisfy the customer. my co workers and i are all a great team, by helping eachother out when needed assisting customers by reproaching them to make sure that they are aware of any store promotions , if all they are looking for has been found and always introducing the customer to new items that they may like. The most difficult part of the job i would have to say would be trying to create a connection with the customer so they can feel comfortable with you when assisting with their needs , some customers wont even acknowledge your presence at times.The best part of my job is always when a contest is going on within the smart set team and we have a goal to be met, as per a certain quota i always make sure we make it
Enjoyable workplace with friendly people and a good learning environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 10, 2013
A typical day at work can include working all aspects of the store from selling merchandise, working fitting rooms, and cashing customers.Since working at Smart Set, I have improved my communication skills with customers as well as with co-workers.Additionally,I've learned how to multi-task more effectively when there are only a few workers in the store. My co-workers are very nice and easy to get along with.Management is really friendly and helpful with any questions or problems I have encountered.
Pros
very flexible and considerate with schedules, nice people to work with, good and understanding management
Cons
only a few shifts during the week, short shifts, shifts are easily cancelled
Not good
Part time keyholder (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 25, 2013
My typical day was, unload stock, clean up, help people, cashier.
I used to learn a lot with the old managers, but the new one they have, we'll she isn't really new anymore. Not going to say her name. But she's judgmental and talks behind other employee's back. I recommended all of our original employees to leave, because they didn't deserve to be treated that way, and thankfully we all left. My job was amazing I used to love it and the management, I went through 4 managers and they were all great except for this one. I do not recommended anyone to go into the store, since this new manager has been put in place. And all of our regulars no longer go there, thankfully! Absolutely disgusting.
Good company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONJuly 2, 2015
love this company and what it stands for. sad that they have started closing locations hopefully they can make it. such an amazing brand and company.