SMART SET Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Smart Set Review
Sales Associate and Key Holder (Former Employee), Markham, ONDecember 14, 2015
Pros: Staff I worked with, amazing management
Cons: District Store Managers
A typical day at work was always very busy. I had different duties each day but it was always fun. My manager was extremely kind and loving to every girl that worked there. I learned so much teamwork skills while working there, my manager made the store feel like my second home. Everyone that I worked with were like my family. The hardest part of my job would be having to decide how to please the upset customers, when it came to over due return items. This was hard for me because when my manager wasn't there I was technically in charge of making those decisions. The most enjoyable part was coming into the store and learning what the goals are for the day and seeing who I was working with. I am motivated when I have a certain goal to reach and my manager gives me tasks to do. Again, teamwork was a big thing for me so we all worked together.
Fun and Cheerful but Demanding
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 10, 2013
Pros: great management and co workers, learned a lot. good environment
Cons: demanding, like working on commission, didn't get right amount of training before leaving
I enjoyed working at Smart Set. Awesome environmental and great staff!! The typical day at Smart Set was mainly greeting customers, helping customers in fits, letting customers know about promotions and keeping the store presentable. My co workers were amazing and so friendly and helpful and so was the management. It was very fun working there but also very demanding in the sense that there is so much to do while helping a customer. It felt like I was working on commission which would have been easier with the right amount of training or experience. In the end it wasn't the right retail store for me. But I did learn a lot from Smart Set, like how to approach and help a customer, the right questions to ask, how to do add ons and work cash.
A lot of customer encounters to grow your interpersonal skills
Key Holder (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: not enough hours
Overall I love the experiences gained working at Smart Set, I am going to 5 years working there, so it has allowed me to gain commitment skills. A typical day at work to open or close store, do deposits, check Loss Prevention details via email from District Managers, do visions of the store. I have learned a lot of Human Resources information, how to handle cash for opening and closing the store, how to be a leader for the other sales associates working with me. Management helps and allows for growth within the job. Co-workers are a good to have around to help out with anything throughout the store. Hardest part of the job was going from school to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to meet new people all the time; as in the customers. So it's always something new everyday being at work which doesn't make it boring.
sales associate
sales associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2012
As a sales associate at Smart Set which is a womens clothing store , you definitely do learn a lot about customer service and are placed in different scenarios in order to always satisfy the customer. my co workers and i are all a great team, by helping eachother out when needed assisting customers by reproaching them to make sure that they are aware of any store promotions , if all they are looking for has been found and always introducing the customer to new items that they may like. The most difficult part of the job i would have to say would be trying to create a connection with the customer so they can feel comfortable with you when assisting with their needs , some customers wont even acknowledge your presence at times.The best part of my job is always when a contest is going on within the smart set team and we have a goal to be met, as per a certain quota i always make sure we make it
Productive and fun environment
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2013
Pros: great discount for smart set and sister stores
Cons: long hours at time
I felt happy to go to work everyday. The environment was a positive one, and everyone seemed to get along. Everyday was a learning experience, which kept things always interesting. One of the major things I learned while working with this company was positive people skills. Everyday you would see a new and different group of customers, and learning how to adapt to each one was a important skill that I learned while there. The co-workers and management team was great. Management team used positive feedback and criticism in order to help you learn and grow. Hardest part of job was probably just being on your feet all day, but that's retail in general. The most enjoyable part of the job was just getting along with all the co-workers and being around people who also enjoyed fashion.
Enjoyable workplace with friendly people and a good learning environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 10, 2013
Pros: very flexible and considerate with schedules, nice people to work with, good and understanding management
Cons: only a few shifts during the week, short shifts, shifts are easily cancelled
A typical day at work can include working all aspects of the store from selling merchandise, working fitting rooms, and cashing customers.Since working at Smart Set, I have improved my communication skills with customers as well as with co-workers.Additionally,I've learned how to multi-task more effectively when there are only a few workers in the store. My co-workers are very nice and easy to get along with.Management is really friendly and helpful with any questions or problems I have encountered.
Not good
Part time keyholder (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJuly 25, 2013
My typical day was, unload stock, clean up, help people, cashier.
I used to learn a lot with the old managers, but the new one they have, we'll she isn't really new anymore. Not going to say her name. But she's judgmental and talks behind other employee's back. I recommended all of our original employees to leave, because they didn't deserve to be treated that way, and thankfully we all left. My job was amazing I used to love it and the management, I went through 4 managers and they were all great except for this one. I do not recommended anyone to go into the store, since this new manager has been put in place. And all of our regulars no longer go there, thankfully! Absolutely disgusting.
Fun place to work
Assitant Manager (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 24, 2013
Pros: great discount
Cons: hours
Retail hours here as well. I learned a lot about clothing here, like how to dress women of all shapes and sizes, how to make them feel good in their skin and how to dress their body type. My management was great, fun and down to earth. My co workers were great also, and lots of fun. The hardest part of my job was again, the late hours making changes to the store for new product and displays. The best part of my job was knowing how to make women so happy in their own skin, and making them look and feel great about themselves.
My Responsibilities
Customer Service (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 16, 2013
Conducted demonstrations and presentations to up to 50 customers daily passing through a mall.
Located the appropriate sizes, colors, and fashion styles requested by clients.
Priced clothing items and placed specific garments on sale, as per store policy.
Processed cash, credit card payments and provided gift receipts to customers.
Handled returns and exchanges of all items, to ensure complete satisfaction with products.
Fun and easy to get along with coworkers
Key holder (Former Employee), Cambridge,ONAugust 26, 2015
Pros: staff
Cons: job security
Working at Smart Set was a fun experience. I found the only down fall to working there was the sometimes long hours without customers. But we found was to ensure that time was not wasted. I really enjoyed doing the marketing and markdowns. The manager was amazing and she made sure to help all employees with any problems or difficulties that may have arised.
Great atmosphere and friendly co-workers.
Fashion Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 12, 2013
I have learned a great deal from this work place, especially communication skills. Everyday is a little bit different, and always interesting. There are occasions with good customers which is always enjoyable and then some more difficult customers that keep you on your toes. I have learned to multitask from customer to customer with great ease.
Fun and positive work environment
Fashion Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 5, 2014
No matter who you are working with, it is always fun. The focus is always on the customers but at times where it's not a busy there are times to talk and even share fashion knowledge with one another. I feel like I learned a lot from working there and my communication skills have definitely benefited from it.
Amazing Workspace!
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Milton, ONMay 13, 2013
Pros: good work place environment
Cons: small fit clothing
the individuals here are very welcoming, and they strive to be a team. They teach that patterns and colors work, you just have to think outside of the box. However, the cleaning routine is long and straining
Hired under false pretenses for job stability
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Simcoe, ONJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: enjoyed the job i was hired to do
Cons: management was not good. probably why the store is no longer there.
Hired while manager left to help out in another store and when she returned I was not needed anymore and let go under false pretenses.
Great styles, reasonable prices, Great customer service
Key Holder (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONDecember 19, 2015
Smaller store, welcoming staff. There is room for growth: Starting out as a Sales Associate you can potentially work your way up to Key Holder, Team Lead or Manager. Overall a god experience in the time that I have been there.
Fun enviorment
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONNovember 26, 2015
Pros: located in mall.
Cons: managment
Store was in a good location, Had a great store manager but when she had to go on a sick leave she was replaced with someone who was new to the company and tried to overturn all the rules the company had set in place.
Fast paced, Fashion foward
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Regina, SaskatchewanFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: discounts and bonuses
Cons: low pay and hard to achieve bonus
Very good leaning experience for new managers however company is not very organized! Head office and district managers aren't always very supportive to the low volume stores.
customer service experince
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 27, 2015
- I have learned to be more patient. I have always been patient but I have been more sensitive and cautious with the needs and wants of other people. I have learned to deal with different kinds of races and I learned a lot from each of them.
Great atmosphere, cares about employees
Store Manager (Current Employee), barrieFebruary 27, 2013
I have been at Smart Set (Reitmans) as a store manager for a few months now. It is a great place to work, they really seem to care about their employees. They are very structured which makes the job that much easier to manage.
a typical day at work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Orleans, ONApril 21, 2015
Pros: Working in a team setting
Cons: The stress of meeting daily sales targets as a team
Promoted the latest store campaigns to customers as well and provided assistance in improving customer experience in the capacity desired