SmartCentres is Canada’s largest developer and operator of unenclosed shopping centres. Our more than 200 locations across Canada offer some of the best commercial retail space in the country bringing shoppers the perfect combination of convenience, value and the most popular retail concepts.
Why Work at SmartCentres?
SmartCentres offers a variety of exciting and challenging career opportunities. To attract and retain talented people, we offer a different and more rewarding employment opportunity than others in our industry.
Employees at SmartCentres can expect:
- A commitment to continuous learning and development
- The opportunity to work along some of the most talented commercial real estate professionals
- Competitive rewards and recognition programs
- A culture which values and respects employee needs
- An entrepreneurial environment where employees are encouraged to try new things.
If you are looking for an opportunity where open communication and teamwork is encouraged, and where you will be recognized and respected as an active leader, look no further than SmartCentres.
Accountable for leasing commercial, office and retail projects, as well as, portions thereof, towards the attainment of corporate objectives.
- Four-year Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Geography or Business disciplines and or Professional Designation.
- Minimum 3 years practical experience in retail real estate/ development with tenant contacts and measurable achievements
- Advanced negotiating skills accompanied by excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate across all levels, as well as outside the organization.
The specific duties and responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Prepare, negotiate and consummate, as the case may be, Lease Proposals, Offers to Lease and Leases in collaboration with and under the direction of the Sr. Director
- Monitor all existing tenancies and monitor expires. Negotiate and complete extension agreements as directed
- Cold calling (canvassing prospective tenants) and the preparation of Travel Logs
- Oversee various projects with responsibility for ensuring completion/finalizing deals in a timely manner and reporting such information on a daily basis
- Maintain rapport with, and service, designated tenant accounts
- Understand markets, projects, and sites thoroughly which includes periodic site visits, coordinating proforma updates with analysts, and coordinating leasing site plan updates
- Formulation of leasing strategies with respect to managed projects and/or assigned vacancies and executing same
- Project management for assigned properties – visit, stay updated, provide input
- Keep Sr. Director and other stakeholders informed about tenant or project issues, as well as maintaining leasing activity database and tenant deal tracking database
- Provide input on new sites and vacancies with respect to the feasibility and availability of leasing in the respective market, as well as monitoring the execution of same by leasing team members
- Coordinate with construction department to ensure any work required under the lease is satisfactory to them and to ensure that all timing requirements and other conditions under the lease agreements are being met
- Coordinate with property management to ensure that all sites for which you are responsible for are in good condition and determine strategies to improve
- Monitor arrears in each project managed property and assist in collections where possible
- Maintain input of information required on monthly report to senior management and/or partners (ie. vacancy report and renewal report).
The Leasing Representative must be client focused, advocate and communicate a positive image of the company, both internally and externally. The Leasing Representative shall take accountability for decisions made and conduct oneself in a respectful and ethical manner in representing the company’s interests. The Leasing Representative shall demonstrate entrepreneurialism and behave like an “owner” in carrying out daily tasks and responsibilities demonstrating creativity and resourcefulness in achieving desired results. The Leasing Representative is expected to be a team player and work effectively with colleagues and associates in terms of input, sharing of ideas and working to achieve common goal.