Skyjack Employee Reviews

Production
Production Supervisor / Weld Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 October 2016
This company was a great company to work for I had most of my training done with Skyjack my apprenticeship and management Training. Wolf Hasselear the CEO of Skyjack at the time was a great owner and employer
Probably one of the worst managed I have ever worked for.
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 October 2016
Definitely not a place for job security. They fire at the drop of hat. Poorly run, poorly managed. They don't seem to have a grip on good business practice. Look after your people and your people will look after you. Something they don't understand at all.
Pros
Cons
Dirty, heavy work. Run like a company in the 1960s.
duties
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 September 2016
Assembled hydraulic manifolds and motors to hydraulic trays

Assisted in the department of research and development by maintaining a clean, stocked work area

Break down old machinery to properly recycle scrap metal and reusable parts
temporary worker
Temporary worker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 August 2016
I was hired through a temp agency on temporary basis. but while I was there i learned a lot and enjoyed the work I was doing. i loved the fasted paced work.
Good Wages
Wkder (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 May 2016
Management is terrible
Great co-workers
Mandatory Saturdays gets annoying as you have no time with family
Night Shift always gets blamed for mistakes
Pros
Good Wages
Cons
Management is awful
Great work for a beginner.
Welder (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 May 2016
Coming out of college to this environment is a great transition. People were great, doesn't require much skill (dependent on where you are positioned obviously), and the hours are really good.
Pros
Great place to start.
Cons
May have to work nights or afternoons.
great painters crew..good knowledge of details required..very good support from paintline tech..
Spray Painter (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 April 2016
got along well with everybody from paintline on all 3 shifts,..responded well to suggestions from more experienced painters,..accomplished all task in minim time required regarding rework and repaints parts for assembly lines to ensure a good flow of production,..responded well to extra hours when need,proved advanced skills regarding equipment maintenace, use and necessary settings for a good paint coverage.
was ok not a long term thing
PRODUCTION TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 March 2016
A lot of O/T if wanted, production always falling behind.
poor management, rude staff, a lot of layoffs yearly.

A lot to learn and lots of money to be made if you don't mind putting in the hours. Just don't expect to be kept on after contract.
Ok workplace
Senior Design Enginne (PDP) (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON23 March 2016
Nothing special about SkyJack. Like any other average employer. Less opportunity to grow. They rather to hire manager and supervisors from outside instead promoting current employees.
Excellent Pay & Supervisors
Mig Welder (Former Employee) –  Plant 2 (201 Woodlawn Rd)25 February 2016
The people are absolutely amazing that you work with, but the turnover rate is very high. No sense trying to learn your coworkers names. They push and push production , beyond reasonable expectations then have huge layoffs. We used to have an excellent plant manager, but he was promoted and then we got sent the plant manager from plant 1 ,who is very arrogant and only nice when he wants you to stay late or produce more parts than is physically possible. As for supervisors... we had the best one. He has been there over 25 years. They push him to hard as well Always felt bad for the old guy. It is extremely hot in the summer with only a 10minute break in the morning then a 20minute lunch. The HR girls walk around with a thermometer and we only got water if it was at a certain high; same with heat breaks. One girl welder was very pregnant and asked to be put on light duties near the end of her pregnancy, but they threw her on the hardest and most physical grinding job in the plant. They told her that they had nothing else that she could do & advised that she go on short term disabilitu. It forced her to take her Mat leave early.
Pros
Pay is great
Cons
Too many disgruntled Senior employees bringing everyone else down.
SkyJack
Mig Welder (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 January 2016
No where to move up. Supervisors turn blind eyes to drug and alcohol abuse with there employees. They push employees 6 days a week, all year so they can lay them off in September, once making annual targets. They provide a BBQ in August employees referred to as "the last meal" and come around with a clip board the next week, like the last 6 months was a tryout for a team. It's a high school environment, filled with plenty of rumours and brown nosing. The cafeteria lady is a Gem, and the food is actually very good. The plant manager(a great guy who is well respected by many) was caught joking around with an office employee on social media claiming they worked with "crayon eating window lickers" and halted the shift to apologize once they became aware employees found out. Employees were so offended by the situation, they brought in packages of crayons the next day to the Pre-shift meeting. I watched an employee lose his leg in a careless forklift accident. The air is blue from weld fumes. I served a 3 year sentence at SkyJail and saw a lot of shady things in the management, and in the shop. Just a paycheque. They did produce the best scissor lifts in the world, which was interesting for about a month. This place will drain you. Good pay. No other reason to be there, other than a handful of great employees to work with. I felt the need to succeed in life and had to depart in order to learn more skills for the industry. My longest weld in the 3 years of working here was on my CWB plate test when It expired. I asked for years to learn a new position and my supervisor basically laughed  more... at me for those years. I laugh when I walk by a skyjack in public now, and think of the great times joking with employees about how much we hated this place, the management, not to mention the politics  less
Pros
Somewhere to start your welding career
Cons
Not enough room in this box
Good pay, but that's about it
Welder (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 January 2016
If you can put up with a high stress and tough work environment, you can make a decent living here, but in the end you will burn out. Consider it a "sprint" job.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
High stress, management pushed to push you
good place
Welder Fitter (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 December 2015
weld on the production line assembling product parts for production. assist all workers in the checks and make sure everyone was following orocedures.
Pros
good job
Cons
hard work
Great ppl to work with & earn extra money with mandatory overtime.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 November 2015
Enjoyed the job and the ability to advance my skills. Most staff were very nice. Management was okay but could have been better. I felt that was due to large number of employee's that they were responsible for. Wages were very good. Wish I had the opportunity to continue with the company. Was great to learn how the product was made. Also learned how to run the production lines as I covered for staff breaks. Being a factory it was loud and very dirty but it didn't bother me. I did enjoy my time with Skyjack only wish it was permanent. Opportunity to earn more money with mandatory overtime for 9 months of the year. Special occasions celebrated with the staff and occasionally free lunches.
Pros
Wages are excellent
Cons
Long hours with mandatory overtime every Saturday for 9mos so family time suffers, they dont like staff taking sick time, or want time off, can lead to problems
Dynamic fast growing company with sales all over the world.
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  Guelph, Ontario17 November 2015
Skyjack is the leading manufacturer of scissor lifts and a growing producer of boom lifts and telehandlers.

Product design and manufacturing is performed in Guelph Ontario.

Much of the growth is from new products and geographic areas.
Pros
Fast growing
Cons
Part of an autoparts business
boring
Chemical technician (night-shift) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 November 2015
not very exciting, robotic type job that never led to any type of advancement.
forced to do full time night shift with no possibility to switch to days
productive
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 November 2015
skyjack is a seasonal business and can be very stressful for the winter months
very high turnover with staff/employees
Pros
lunch and learn sessions
Excellent place to work
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 November 2015
I loved working at Skyjack. I excelled very quickly and was always appreciated and thanked for the work I did. Excellent benefits and rate of pay...above and beyond what I was expecting. Amazing place to work if you're a motivated team player.
Pros
Great salary and benefits
Cons
Loud, hot environment especially in summer season
Excelent as co-workers, hard to understand management reorganisation
MECHANICAL DESIGNER/PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 October 2015
Excellent relationships and cooperation with co-workers from my team, other teams and departments.
To much time spend in meetings and to long till reach a decision
Pros
Socializing with co-workers
Cons
To much politics
just a paycheck
Welder/ Fitter (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 September 2015
this company cares nothing about there employes. they do not care about your safety, and promotions are based on favouritism.

2.5