Skyjack Employee Reviews

Terrible management
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 May 2017
Employees are great but the management has no idea what they r doing. They lay everyone off from August until March. I would not recommend this job if you r looking for security if you want summer work only then be ready to work 3-11
Good wages, joke management
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 April 2017
The wages are fantastic for what you do workwise. Management, most supervisors, and even HR are a complete joke. Have to bite your tongue and keep your head on a swivel and trust no one here, they'll hang you out to dry the first chance they get.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Bosses SUCK
Not a very good place to work
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Plant 1 Guelph7 March 2017
Was hired for a job I never got to do. Supervisor was not very nice.
It was an extremely hideous working environment. If you have an education, do not work here.
Pros
There is nothing good about this place
Cons
Its a Soviet Era Gulag
Busy company with too many layoffs and black fridays
Welding Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 March 2017
Room for advancement, competitive wages and benefits. Did not enjoy watching good employees walked out. Workforce is above average, upper Management is below average.
Pros
wages
Cons
layoffs
former employee
Inventory Control / Cycle Counter (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 February 2017
Like every job it had its days, but in hindsight I should never have left to help a "friend" build a business. it was not the right career move. I left a pension and was screwed over. I should never have left.
Fair place to work
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON21 February 2017
work was great, people were great, environment was awesome, management was poor and job security was not safe. turn over rate is very high, every year there would be a lay off and then a major hire then repeat.
fun
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 January 2017
Well when I worked at skyjack over the summer all I was doing was going to almost every line and cleaning up. I would start there at 7:00 am and I was done at 3:00 pm from Monday-Friday. My co-workers were nice I was mostly on my own for most of the time. The hardest part of my job was trying to get the factory floor clean when the employees are working and the forklift is always moving in the factory. The enjoyable part of the job was later once my contract was up skyjack hired me on full time instead of me working as a summer student so I thought that was pretty nice of them to do that.
Pros
Getting to see new people
Cons
Hard to find things
Temporary Employment at Best
Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 December 2016
Plant 2 office conditions are poor at best, Dirty and not cleaned very well. Management not interested in Health and Safety.
Cons
Management, Poor Training, or No training
overall ok place to work.
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 November 2016
overall okay place to work. Workplace environment was nice and relaxed. Too many meetings to attend to get anything cleared and approved. constant struggle to get people within the same room to get any approval.
Production
Production Supervisor / Weld Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 October 2016
This company was a great company to work for I had most of my training done with Skyjack my apprenticeship and management Training. Wolf Hasselear the CEO of Skyjack at the time was a great owner and employer
Probably one of the worst managed I have ever worked for.
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 October 2016
Definitely not a place for job security. They fire at the drop of hat. Poorly run, poorly managed. They don't seem to have a grip on good business practice. Look after your people and your people will look after you. Something they don't understand at all.
Pros
Cons
Dirty, heavy work. Run like a company in the 1960s.
duties
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 September 2016
Assembled hydraulic manifolds and motors to hydraulic trays

Assisted in the department of research and development by maintaining a clean, stocked work area

Break down old machinery to properly recycle scrap metal and reusable parts
temporary worker
Temporary worker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 August 2016
I was hired through a temp agency on temporary basis. but while I was there i learned a lot and enjoyed the work I was doing. i loved the fasted paced work.
Good Wages
Wkder (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 May 2016
Management is terrible
Great co-workers
Mandatory Saturdays gets annoying as you have no time with family
Night Shift always gets blamed for mistakes
Pros
Good Wages
Cons
Management is awful
Great work for a beginner.
Welder (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 May 2016
Coming out of college to this environment is a great transition. People were great, doesn't require much skill (dependent on where you are positioned obviously), and the hours are really good.
Pros
Great place to start.
Cons
May have to work nights or afternoons.
great painters crew..good knowledge of details required..very good support from paintline tech..
Spray Painter (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 April 2016
got along well with everybody from paintline on all 3 shifts,..responded well to suggestions from more experienced painters,..accomplished all task in minim time required regarding rework and repaints parts for assembly lines to ensure a good flow of production,..responded well to extra hours when need,proved advanced skills regarding equipment maintenace, use and necessary settings for a good paint coverage.
was ok not a long term thing
PRODUCTION TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 March 2016
A lot of O/T if wanted, production always falling behind.
poor management, rude staff, a lot of layoffs yearly.

A lot to learn and lots of money to be made if you don't mind putting in the hours. Just don't expect to be kept on after contract.
Ok workplace
Senior Design Enginne (PDP) (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON23 March 2016
Nothing special about SkyJack. Like any other average employer. Less opportunity to grow. They rather to hire manager and supervisors from outside instead promoting current employees.
Excellent Pay & Supervisors
Mig Welder (Former Employee) –  Plant 2 (201 Woodlawn Rd)25 February 2016
The people are absolutely amazing that you work with, but the turnover rate is very high. No sense trying to learn your coworkers names. They push and push production , beyond reasonable expectations then have huge layoffs. We used to have an excellent plant manager, but he was promoted and then we got sent the plant manager from plant 1 ,who is very arrogant and only nice when he wants you to stay late or produce more parts than is physically possible. As for supervisors... we had the best one. He has been there over 25 years. They push him to hard as well Always felt bad for the old guy. It is extremely hot in the summer with only a 10minute break in the morning then a 20minute lunch. The HR girls walk around with a thermometer and we only got water if it was at a certain high; same with heat breaks. One girl welder was very pregnant and asked to be put on light duties near the end of her pregnancy, but they threw her on the hardest and most physical grinding job in the plant. They told her that they had nothing else that she could do & advised that she go on short term disabilitu. It forced her to take her Mat leave early.
Pros
Pay is great
Cons
Too many disgruntled Senior employees bringing everyone else down.
SkyJack
Mig Welder (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 January 2016
No where to move up. Supervisors turn blind eyes to drug and alcohol abuse with there employees. They push employees 6 days a week, all year so they can lay them off in September, once making annual targets. They provide a BBQ in August employees referred to as "the last meal" and come around with a clip board the next week, like the last 6 months was a tryout for a team. It's a high school environment, filled with plenty of rumours and brown nosing. The cafeteria lady is a Gem, and the food is actually very good. The plant manager(a great guy who is well respected by many) was caught joking around with an office employee on social media claiming they worked with "crayon eating window lickers" and halted the shift to apologize once they became aware employees found out. Employees were so offended by the situation, they brought in packages of crayons the next day to the Pre-shift meeting. I watched an employee lose his leg in a careless forklift accident. The air is blue from weld fumes. I served a 3 year sentence at SkyJail and saw a lot of shady things in the management, and in the shop. Just a paycheque. They did produce the best scissor lifts in the world, which was interesting for about a month. This place will drain you. Good pay. No other reason to be there, other than a handful of great employees to work with. I felt the need to succeed in life and had to depart in order to learn more skills for the industry. My longest weld in the 3 years of working here was on my CWB plate test when It expired. I asked for years to learn a new position and my supervisor basically laughed  more... at me for those years. I laugh when I walk by a skyjack in public now, and think of the great times joking with employees about how much we hated this place, the management, not to mention the politics  less
Pros
Somewhere to start your welding career
Cons
Not enough room in this box

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skyjack. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5