Skyjack Employee Reviews

Bad place to be
Assembler/Back Up Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONAugust 25, 2015
My experience with Skyjack was overwhelmingly negative. my line was new, everyone brought in was young, UN-educated, unmotivated and unwilling to work at a consistent pace. Tools were poorly supplied (or not supplied at all.) and injuries were occurring constantly (worst injury over the year resulted in amputation of a leg.)

After 6 months of me doing everything in my power to get noticed they promoted a kid who had no experience in a factory, who avidly avoided hard work the entire time, and came in on drugs multiple times (he was later demoted for doing drugs on company property with 2 of his employees.)

I was pushed out of the company by false write ups over errors that didn't happen. (they said I missed something, I had a specific mark for which was present, they then switched paperwork and moved the machines out of view as to not get caught.)
Pros
none.
Cons
bad place to work, Linimar is unanimously hated in the guelph area.
Great ppl to work with & earn extra money with mandatory overtime.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONNovember 19, 2015
Enjoyed the job and the ability to advance my skills. Most staff were very nice. Management was okay but could have been better. I felt that was due to large number of employee's that they were responsible for. Wages were very good. Wish I had the opportunity to continue with the company. Was great to learn how the product was made. Also learned how to run the production lines as I covered for staff breaks. Being a factory it was loud and very dirty but it didn't bother me. I did enjoy my time with Skyjack only wish it was permanent. Opportunity to earn more money with mandatory overtime for 9 months of the year. Special occasions celebrated with the staff and occasionally free lunches.
Pros
Wages are excellent
Cons
Long hours with mandatory overtime every Saturday for 9mos so family time suffers, they dont like staff taking sick time, or want time off, can lead to problems
Production is key
Welder (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJuly 17, 2012
A typical day at work is showing up early. Going to my work area and seeing what Ill need to get going. Then heading to a kick off meeting where we discuss safety and quality issues that need addressing to better our product. Ive learned alot about GMAW welding there. I am very keen on quality as I construct the rear axle of the machine. It is an extremely important piece as is the rest of the machine we produce. My co workers are amazing people. we all get along and help eachother if need be. the most enjoyable part of my job is having the sense of accomplishment at the end of my day after hitting my quota and helping my team members also do so.
Pros
paid breaks, free water/ freezies when hot
Cons
sometimes were pushed and rushed for numbers (impacts quality)
Great Co-workers not so great workplace
GMAW Welder (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 27, 2015
Lots of hard work involved, standing for long periods of time, always rushing around. I learned a lot of different jobs and it made the day go by fast but the workplace is so unorganized its sad. The best part about this job was the people I worked with, they were great co-workers and I will miss working with those people. this job is extremely physically demanding and not everyone is treated fairly. They push production beyond a persons physical limits and expectations are way too high.
Pros
paid lunch, great co-workers
Cons
short breaks, very physically demanding
A good place to learn
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 28, 2013
A good place to gain experience when first starting off in your career; the company offers broad learning opportunities in an automotive setting as it falls under the Linamar umbrella. You can expect a fast paced environment with often changing priorities. Management calibre varies as employee mentorship is lacking though you are encouraged to voice your concerns. Those who work hard are recognized and have the potential of progressing.
Pros
tuition reimbursement
Terrible Place To Work
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONSeptember 29, 2013
This company treats employees and suppliers as disposable entities. They asked me many times to compromise my moral and ethical values as a Buyer. I was forced to lie to suppliers on a daily basis.
I would not recommend Linamar to my worst enemy.
Be very cautious and go into any negotiations between them and yourself with your eyes wide open.
Pros
nothing
Cons
unethical, poor management
Pay is good but layoffs every year
Employee (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJune 24, 2013
Pay is good but layoffs every year, first time I was off for almost 5 months, ... So really pay may be good while working but in end not so good.

Benefits not good ... start at 50%, then 10% added on for each year service up to 80%

You have to pay your own LTD which comes right off your pay, works out to over $1000 a year
Cons
work environment quite hot in summer, cold in winter
Overall nice place to work in.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 12, 2015
I enjoyed working here and found it safe and clean. i found my supervisors and co workers very nice and friendly. The only hard time that i had was working with overhead cranes for the first time.
I am still missing this place my co workers, and some of my supervisors.
Pros
good management and clean and safe place to work.
Cons
was a bit physical for me.
Fun and productive team environment.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJuly 3, 2012
I was able to learn a lot of different jobs from: Sub assembly of manifolds and outrigger installation, installation of tires, hydraulic cabinets, installation of main drive engine and hydraulic plumbing. It was a great team environment and I was able to build better skills with a variety of hand and power tools.
Dynamic fast growing company with sales all over the world.
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  Guelph, OntarioNovember 17, 2015
Skyjack is the leading manufacturer of scissor lifts and a growing producer of boom lifts and telehandlers.

Product design and manufacturing is performed in Guelph Ontario.

Much of the growth is from new products and geographic areas.
Pros
Fast growing
Cons
Part of an autoparts business
Great place to learn
Design Engineer-Current Product (Current Employee) –  PlantJanuary 23, 2014
Its a great place to start and learn at. I have learnt a lot about people management, various aspects of the business and more importantly how to be a practical engineer.

The job is never boring or dull as there was challenges to overcome.
Pros
its a great place to start and learn at.
Cons
no benfits/advancements
Excellent place to work
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONNovember 9, 2015
I loved working at Skyjack. I excelled very quickly and was always appreciated and thanked for the work I did. Excellent benefits and rate of pay...above and beyond what I was expecting. Amazing place to work if you're a motivated team player.
Pros
Great salary and benefits
Cons
Loud, hot environment especially in summer season
the type of work day
Welder/fitter (Current Employee) –  201 woodlawn rd guelph ontarioAugust 17, 2015
the type of work day at skyjack is sometimes very unorganized but all and all its a great place to work when u get into work and start your day with no distractions.
Pros
working at your own pace to make sure the job is completed properly
Cons
Only one 10min break and a 20min lunch along with no heat breaks makes it a long day
Excelent as co-workers, hard to understand management reorganisation
MECHANICAL DESIGNER/PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONOctober 1, 2015
Excellent relationships and cooperation with co-workers from my team, other teams and departments.
To much time spend in meetings and to long till reach a decision
Pros
Socializing with co-workers
Cons
To much politics
Young new employees with on hands on skills
Production welder (Former Employee) –  GuelphAugust 18, 2015
Working for Skyjack was just ok. New H&S and other young office staff have no real hands on skills and make working there difficult for plant workers to do there every day job. Large employee turn over from unsatisfied work condition.
Pros
7.5 hour days
Cons
unorginized
A good place to work
materials, material handler (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONMarch 17, 2015
Skyjack is a great place to work just not organized. It is extremely busy due to high sales, but safety is not good. My coworkers are great to work with. The hardest part of the job is locating parts that are not put away in the correct location.
Pros
profit share
Cons
unorganized
Organized fairly well with a high target fast pace, too pushy on pushing up production numbers
Assembler/Builder (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONAugust 7, 2015
decent with the workers needs a better ventilation system too much smoke from weld side but it is still ok considering some of the jobs inside of the factory
Pros
day shift
Cons
not always smart
interesting work but employees are not valued by company
Assembly Worker R.T. line (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 19, 2014
Good people to work with but very poor management. A lot of favouritism. It's who you know not what you know.It was a great company before Linamar took it over.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
poor management with no ethics, no job security
Fine place to turn into a drone
Welder (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONOctober 24, 2014
not bad if your the kind of guy who likes banging out the same parts over and over and over.... etc. show every day stay as long as you like. but if the rosters already full prepare to look for a job by fall.
Pros
decent cafeteria
Cons
they preach care but don't really deliver
Good place, terrible hours
General Labour (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJuly 22, 2013
Got stuck working night shift and it was ok, hard getting used to the change in sleep pattern. I would build platforms for skyjacks, I learned basic electrical, and wiring, Management was ok, too much favoritism, C-workers were generally good people,

2.9